main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Sensei__Prime, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I think the only moment Snyder Supes showed any genuine joy - in fact, one of the few moments when MoS felt it had the potential to be a great Superman flick - was when Clark first took flight, decked in his Superman outfit. A clumsy attempt at first, followed by a successful second attempt after which where he was all smiles as he flew all over the world carefree. Then came the doom and gloom and all the **** that ruined the tone of and the whole movie itself.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Talking to Lois about his shield, telling Martha about finding Jor-El, joking with Lois to step back before he flies to Indian Ocean, joking with Lois about it all not going downhill after the first kiss, etc., etc.

But hey, who cares about accuracy in this thread.

darth-sinister likes this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    In one of those films, I saw someone begging for mercy at Optimus Prime's feet. Literally. Optimus responds by pointing his giant rifle at the guy's face and shooting at point blank range. All without even bothering to look down or respond verbally. I'm not even sure he broke his stride.

Which version of the Transformers were you watching?

The2ndQuest likes this.
  4. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    The Transformers had characters? I thought those were just 20 minute toy commercials.

BigAl6ft6 and SuperWatto like this.
  5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    One of the pre-show title cards from the Rifftrax Live showing of "Time Chasers" was this...

"UNPOPULAR FAN THEORIES: Ben Affleck should play every superhero in every superhero movie from now on."

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Some episodes were (particularly in the 2nd season when they were cranking them out to fill the massive episode order) but, in general, TF was no different than any other superhero property, character-wise.

Especially if you factor in the original Marvel comics run (which established a lot of the general Mathis beyond the broad strokes of the cartoon) and the modern Dreamwave comics run (whose success was among the more direct reasons the films were made).

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

[​IMG]

<mic drop>

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ha, I almost made that exact point this morning...

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That's the one I remember too. Except he never shot people in the face.

Which, to circle back on that, was the single most violent act I have ever witnessed in any media. What is wrong with Michael Bay? And who is entertained by that?

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    About $3.7 billion worth of people were entertained by Michael Bay's four Transformers films, with a fifth one in the works.

darth-sinister likes this.
  11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Uh, he did speak to Demolisher.

OPTIMUS PRIME: "Any last words?"

DEMOLISHER: "The Fallen will rise again."

OPTIMUS PRIME: "Not today."

Course, the last time an Optimus Prime hesitated, this happened...

[​IMG]

The same ones who were entertained by this one...

[​IMG]

As to that being the single most violent act, I take it you never watched the original "Robocop"?

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Even odds he has never even heard of RoboCop.

FatBurt and tom like this.
  13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Regardless, in most incarnations of the franchise, Optimus Prime has been portrayed as a heroic character, seldom filled with doubt, but too prone to do the ultimate sacrifice play for the better good. And those Decepticons he shot down in Metroplex had just murdered some of his closest friends and allies before invading his city. They had it coming and he did it with style...before ****** Hot Rod got in the way and messed things up royally.

Bayformers' OP has ranged from the somewhat heroic, to the murderously brutish, to the sometimes too callous and cruel. The only thing in common that bipolar metal monstrosity has to other incarnations is the name, build and Peter Cullen's still awesome voice.

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  15. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Hey heelsy, let the TF discussion run its course. I don't think there's much else that needs to be said about this thread's subject. :p

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    To be fair about Optimus Prime, in most incarnations that exist, he is written for young children. So he can't be going around demanding the faces of every Decepticon that he fights. He has to be written in such a way that is kid friendly and allows for the toys to be sold for the duration of the line. In a film series, though, he has to be written for adults. Hence the more brutal methods employed in those films. And to bring it back around to DOJ, it is much like the killing of criminals in these films since the idea is to target a wider audience that is used to "kill all the bad guys and have a beer when it's done".

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You clearly have the respect of JCCers, heels1785

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It should be pointed out though that there's a big difference between Optimus mowing down enemies during a combat situation and outright executing a disarmed, captured prisoner.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

Thanks.

Diggy likes this.
  20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

That assumes that they would logically share our rules of war conduct.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Do Autobots take prisoners? And if they do, do they brand him with the Autobot symbol, which is pretty much a death sentence?

Anyway, everyone remember when Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice was scheduled to drop the same day as Captain America: Civil War? I remember when that was announced, I would have seen BvS first and then Cap 3. Just imagine how jammed packed theaters would have been today if both movies would have dropped. I would have most likely have bought tickets for both films on the same night.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    In the films, no. In the cartoons, that almost never happens. Usually they wind up surrendering when whoever is in charge is no longer in charge. That varies between continuities. Any further discussion about that should be saved for the appropriate thread.

They would have been jammed pack and then DOJ would fall harder at the box office and probably make even less than it did.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. Captain Han Solo

Captain Han Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 23, 2016
    Not everyone can afford to see both films, though. Since Marvel has more of a following than DC at this point, Civil War would have crushed BvS at the box office. Now, on its first day in America, it's currently making slightly less money than BvS was on its first day (not to judge either film at all).

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

They would have been jammed pack and then DOJ would fall harder at the box office and probably make even less than it did.[/quote]

Well, I think Civil War would have taken a hit at the box office too. It would be opening with the estimated $167 million domestically. But agreed, in the longer run, BvS numbers would be dour.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It would have been an interesting matchup- though I would have settled for a BVS film whose quality would have been worthy of a head-to-head like that.

hav
    Nope. They're not Batman. ;)