main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Battlefront: Twilight Company (released 11/3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cdgodin, Apr 17, 2015.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Wow, that book is really awesome. I'm shocked at all the little references & details listed in it. I'm definitely ordering this book in a heartbeat!

--Adm. Nick

King of Alsakan likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It gets better too :D

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm absolutely pumped about this book now. The X-Wing comparison seems really apt now - not just in the tonal sense, but in the sense that this looks to be much, much better than a video game tie-in has any right to be.

Edit: BTW, what is it with the new canon and Besalisks?

4. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    Was looking forward to this already but GrandAdmiralJello has got me excited now.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know, but he's one of my favorite characters in the book.

.....which is something I'd never thought I'd ever say about a freaking Besalisk.

6. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    That's racist, man.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    :emperor: :vader:

Sorry, you were saying?

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    This is my favorite book in the new canon. It's simply spectacular.

9. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Wow, I enjoyed the preview in Dark Disciple and I've been seeing those who got the ARC hype this up, but that extended preview was simply awesome. This is going to be a great book, and the focus on Rebel ground troops is something that I've been hoping would happen for a long time.

Quick question for those with the ARC: page count on Amazon says 416. Is that accurate? I hope so, most of the other NEU books have been somewhat short IMO.

10. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    The book also has the most action packed and ambitious third act of the new canon novels - doing a good job balancing nuanced characters and a personal story with the sense of being "big" and having an impact on the GCW at large.

EDIT: the book is a tad under 400 pages.

11. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    This book is fantastic. It reads like the literary lovechild of Stackpole and Traviss without any of their quirks that people complain about. It's gritty, psychological and morally ambiguous, with terrific characters and a true sense of peril because of an entirely original cast. And somehow it still feels entirely like a Star Wars story. Easily top-three of the Del Ray published books thus far, if not #1 from a pure craftsman standpoint alone. The only one that's even close IMO is A New Dawn. Freed absolutely killed it.

Kylun, Valin__Kenobi, cdgodin and 5 others like this.
  12. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Besalisks are having a Matthew McConaughey-esque revival it seems

13. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    So much interesting factoids, in those chapters alone.

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I am pleased by how much people seem to be enjoying this. I skimmed the preview and it definitely seems like it's going to be a great read. I want to wait until actually reading it to experience most of it, though, so I'm not going to read the whole preview.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    BTW once the book is out and people start posting spoilers, I HIGHLY recommend people read the book first. This book is worth going into without knowing things, trust me.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Kylun, cdgodin, AusStig and 4 others like this.
  16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    When have you ever not felt that way?

17. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    He's right. If you get spoiled, you'll really hate yourself. Many unpredictable things happen, and that uncertainty is a big part of the book's atmosphere and feeling.

Also, I don't think any other book ever made feel this way about the people that make the Alliance. Not even WEG, and coming from me that's saying.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I've got it pre-bought, with luck Wordery'll despatch a few days ahead of the release date.

19. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    Just finished reading the whole preview. Love the characters and story already. I simply love stories focusing on the rank and file. This preview proofs again that you don't need Jedi or Sith in a good Star Wars story.

A part I personally enjoyed was chapter 3 focusing on Thara Nyende or "SP-475", the female Stormtrooper. Does she have a more prominent role in the following chapters of the book?

Well, I can't wait for the book to be released.

Kylun, Darth_Garak, Jedi Ben and 3 others like this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Re: chapter 3 of the preview

Oh, I forgot Thara was in there. That was another thing I appreciated -- and ordinarily a female stormie would be the thing I'd be most happy to see, if not for the unexpected Imperial advisors!

Heh. Despite you know, being me, I actually like the Rebels and I think this book captures the feel of the Rebels you get in the OT films as well as in things like XWA.

Yes, I am always anti-spoiler and think people should see/read things unspoiled but in this case, it's practically an imperative. Like you don't lose much by having Tarkin or LotS summarized for you since you basically know where those are going, but A New Dawn was worth going all the way through. This is like that, but more so.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

This deal keeps on getting better an better!

This might beet out Tarkin as my favorite book.

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    So this is actually good good a la A New Dawn? Not, “well you can find enjoyment here if you force yourself enough” like the rest of the NEU adult novels?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes. It's not "well, it's a SW novel and uses EU lore so I'm happy that stuff is recanonized." It's "this is a damn good SW story -- or story in general."

Freed also just happens -- like JJM -- to know his way around the lore. But that's not the main selling point, the main selling point is that it's really good.

Kylun, cdgodin, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, this is just a good novel. There are lots of fun EU lore being canonized--and jetissoned--but, as Jello said, that's just an extra.

It's just a fantastic story, considerably more epic and sprawling than I expected, with complex multi-layered characters that you might find liking despite your best judgement, and it gives you a great look at a side of the universe we don't usually see.

25. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I liked the tiny Rebels tie-in

"Can't have Imperial secrets falling into rebel hands.Can't have another Tseebo, or a Death Star incident...

26. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Interesting how Vidian seems to be becoming a bigger figure in-universe. AND gave me the impression that he was famous, but just one out of a number of Court industrialists and Emperor's favorites. Reminds me a bit of the old EU - not in a bad way.

Kylun and GrandAdmiralJello like this.