main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Something like that is likely.

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

What makes you think Inquisitors aren't capable of feeling anger and hatred. Pain, anger and rage are the keys to unlocking the power of the Dark Side. Bleeding kyber crystals is not a skill unique to the Sith.

Kylo Ren's kyber was cracked and bleeding and he was no Sith Lord.

Ithorians likes this.
  3. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    It's like saying only Sith can open Sith holocrons.

kalzeth likes this.
  4. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I think if they were going this way it should just have changed over time. Why even go to the trouble to get a red crystal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Because Kyber crystals are, at least on some level, alive and in-tune with the force. A crystal that's properly aligned will probably feel like a more natural extension of its user, and channel their energy better.

Vialco likes this.
  6. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    This is the thing some people don't grasp.

The crystals are colourless.

The lightsaber obtains a colour through the attunement of the crystal to the Force-wielder. A Jedi bonds with their kyber, inviting to join them as a partner and ally. This results in any random color, from green to blue to purple.

Dark-side wielders never accept things as equals or partners. They focus inwards, solely on themselves and thus can never bond with their kyber as an equal and ally.

The only way they can get a kyber to serve them is to force their anger and rage into the crystal. They make the kyber suffer and force their own pain into the crystal. Kybers are alive in their own way and this process pains them greatly and makes them "bleed".

That's why every lightsaber made by a Dark-Sider will be red. It's the only way they can get the kybers to do their bidding.

In canon the crystals aren't just elemental pieces. They're alive and in a way sentient. That's the heart of the bleeding explanation.

Only a Sith or someone who thinks like them. Someone who uses the Dark Side of the Force and calls on the Force through anger and wants to dominate their environment.

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You call killing a Jedi "easy"? :p

8. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I would rather take my chances at a crystal cave where the worst it could happen is being trapped for a month, than facing weaponless a Jedi Master in a life and death battle, thank you. :p

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    If your master is Darth Sidious, you won't have the luxury of choosing the way to acquire your crystal [face_devil]

10. kalzeth

Aug 26, 2017
    I still think a gradual change in the crystal would work better as the crystal bends or shapes to the wearer. How do we explain Luke having a green saber in ROTJ? While his ability to channel the force improved his alignment didn't change. I guess you could say it was a different crystal and interacted with his force attunement differently than anakin's saber.

Do we say there are only really four types of canon force alignments that result in green, blue, purple, red, white? Or is that a result of the crystal morphology?

11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    It was a different saber entirely, one created by Luke and, I assume, using a crystal that called to him specifically. As opposed to Anakin's saber, this one is actually HIS saber.

12. kalzeth

Aug 26, 2017
    Why would it be random for color? If they are colorless but not random why do we see Luke get a different color saber or Ashoka have two different color ones? That supports random but we have no explanation for why certain colors are rarer or why white which came for Ashoka wouldn't match a Jedi.

At the end I guess I liked the old way of having the meaning in the creation of the light saber as the ritual rather than a bond with a living crystal.

Daneira likes this.
  13. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Actually....Vader had a Jedi lightsaber in hand on the Brighthome. He could easily have defied Palpatine's edict and lied, claiming he took it from In'fila. Or even take that saber with him to face Kirak. He could even have taken a squad of clones to help him. Sith don't fight fair at all.

The reason Vader is so beaten up in his battle against Kirak In'fila is because he insisted on battling him the hard way. With no support and no real weapon to match him.

Vader only wins their second duel because he doesn't fight fair. He sees In'fila's compassion for innocents and uses it against him to win the fight. It's very telling that Vader was losing their second duel as well until he managed to distract the Jedi Master by threatening innocent lives. Dooku did the same thing on Geonosis.

The Dark Side fights without mercy. Without compassion and without remorse. If Dark-Siders want to be victorious they need to find the same strength inside themselves. That's the lesson Vader learned on Al'Doleem.

14. kalzeth

Aug 26, 2017
    Totally fair but wouldn't anakins saber attune to Luke over time and become green?

15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    No. That's not how the crystals work. It was Anakin's crystal, and was attuned to Anakin pre-darkside. Because Luke has it doesn't mean it changes.

Something similar happened with Ahsoka. She actually had a corrupted crystal, which she could have kept and used a red lightsaber. But, she managed to purify it, turning the crystal white.

Revanfan1 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah I think the Sith make a point to corrupt their crystals, whereas Jedi are content with an already pure crystal if they haven't already built their own.

17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    It's better to say a Sith does not need to kill a Jedi to get a red blade. While Vader did it and I'm sure some ancient Sith as well, we know the Rule of Two didn't have to. Maul never killed a Jedi before his comic mini. So Sith can turn non attuned (colorless) crystals red. Which is a benefit amongst an ancient war where Sith need many red blades. Then their are examples such as Dooku. Former Jedi who still have their colored crystal can just bleed that.

18. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Interesting! In this light, I assume there will eventually be an explanation for the yellow lightsabers of the Jedi Guardians, just like Ahsoka´s where white because she had restored balance to them. Perhaps something to do with their extreme selflessness, to the point of renouncing their identity...

In any case, I never liked the whole "blue, green or red only" thing from the prequels; there is not really that much arm done with purple, yellow, white and even black blades. Still missing an orange one out there somewhere!

19. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Looking for this?

[​IMG]

Ithorians likes this.
  20. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016

:D!!!!!!!!

Vialco likes this.
  21. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    This chapter in a nutshell:

Kyber crystal: Hey Ani, you know, it's not too late to turn your life around ^^
    Vader: NO
    Crystal: D:

22. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    Listening to Krennic's Aspirations while reading the new issue....Dem feels!

Excellent chapter!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Vader has finally completed his mission and corrupted a crystal. Now, will he construct his new lightsaber hilt, or will he use Kirak's for a time? I wish we got more of the visions that would tempt Vader, although the one where he kills Sidious was cool. That said, there's certainly plenty of opportunity for introspection. I'd love to see how Vader thinks this soon after Order 66 in canon. Also, I wonder what Tarkin thought of Vader here?

EDIT: After letting my first impressions of the issue settle a bit, it struck me how powerful the vision of Obi-Wan was. Absolutely heart breaking...

Overall, I found it to be an ok issue that served it's purpose. Nothing too special happened aside from the crystal bleeding, but then again, that's what was promised for this issue anyway. Next issue should be much more interesting, as we'll be seeing the initiation of the Inquisitorious [face_dancing]

24. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    That was excellent, the vision was so surprising and beautiful. I wish we'd see a little bit more after Obi-Wan's apparent forgiveness - but it's best to be left wanting more.

I can't wait for the next issue. How will Vader react to the Inquisitors' existence? And it'll be nice to see the GI again.

kalzeth and spicer like this.
  25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Wow, just wow. :eek:
    - Vader failing to make it bleed on his first try.
    - Anakin's blue eye and saying "what have I done?"
    - Dreams/Visions of him killing Palpatine with a green lightsaber and then removing his helmet, pleading Obi-Wan to finish him. "Anakin".:_|
    - memories of him bringing back the corpse of his mother, Padme and Obi-Wan leaving him for dead on Mustafar.
    - the glowing red symbols on the wall, earthquake and storm when he made the crustal bleed.
    - Tarkin and Mas Amedda. Red guards down in 2 seconds.
    - "Apprentice". "Master". Ignites a red lightsaber.
    Officially my favorite Star Wars comic issue in forever.