main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Tim Dodd - Dodd Apartment, Calna Muun
    Watching 279 Draft via HSN.

Tim watched Dorf Landa stride confidently to the podium, Packers' Jersey in hand for the player he and Asyr had selected.

"Commissioner, Gentlebeings, perhaps even some teammates.... With the fifth pick of the 279 ABY Limmie Draft.... Agamar Packers are pleased to select.... Frax Oayan; University of Euceron!

The Coruscant Senators are now on the clock; thank you!"

TAG: Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny likes this.
  2. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Geoff Copin
    O’pahz, Carratos

“Iris slow down.” Geoff called out to his daughter. Iris stopped and began to run in place furiously.

“Hurry up, daddy.” She replied, her pink bolo-ball under her arm. He caught up to her and they walked down to a nearby park that had a limmie field. Rime was also there with his son. “Peggles,” Iris shouted running at the younger devaronian.

“Get off me,” the boy said pushing Iris away.

“Pej, be nice.” Rime chided,

“Peggles,” Iris said unfazed by Pej’s rejection, “wanna’ play some limmie?” Pej looked up at his father.

“Do you like playing limmie alone?” Rime asked his son, the young devaronian shook his head.

“Ok Iris,” Pej said “but, we play with my ball.” The girl’s mouth hung open.

“Iris,” Geoff said standing next to the team captain, “let him choose the ball. You decided the game.”

“But,” Iris protested “this is my favorite.”

“I know but, Pej won’t play unless you use his ball.” The young girl thought about it for a bit, making several faces as she did.

“Fine,” A deal reached the two children ran off to play leaving the parents sitting on a bench watching them.

“How’ve you been coach?” Rime asked in a friendly manner. The coach and team captain had become something close to friends in there time together. Both were fathers and both were transplants to this world that seemed to operate by its own rules.

“I’ve been ok,” Geoff replied “with me home Laura has asked work to put her on more projects and, with Iris and Ira starting school this year she’ll have more time to devote to her work. “

“You in need of the extra income?”

“No, she’d just be bored without having to look after the girls most of the day.”

“Plus it’s getting a little dangerous to be a limmie player or a coach right now.” Rime said referencing the assassination of Kaitlyn Vehn and John Huntington and the bombing of Euceron Stadium. Geoff shivered thinking about those events. He was glad he lived on Carratos. No one would be crazy enough to try anything like what happened on Euceron and no politician would ever try to clean up the planet, at least not as forcefully as Vehn. He wasn’t fooling himself. You could still be killed or robbed if you went down the wrong street but, mass violence and public executions where off the table. Those actions brought too much fear and instability, which was not good for business.

“Yeah, this season has taken its toll on the ELL,” Geoff paused before changing the subject “by the way how’s Jace settling in?”

“He’s doing ok, getting use to the way this planet works.” The coach shook his head.

“Did he have any Star Dragons watching him?”

“Yeah, one,” The forward chuckles “Schnitt neglected to mention the personal security when I signed the contract. With everything that’s happened I’m glad they’re there.”

“Yeah,” Geoff looked over his shoulder to a black shirted trandoshan trying to eat an ice cream cone nonchalantly at a park bench. “Have you been keeping up with our friends in the corridor?”

“A little, I still have some news alerts set up.”

“Do you know who won the championship?”

“The Aphran Lumberjacks,” a laugh escapes Geoff’s mouth.

“The Lumberjacks were a joke last season now they’re the Kings of the Corridor.”

“Well with a new strategy, a couple of fantastic rookies and some players that matured, they managed to turn their team around.”

“You think we could get some of those players to come here?” The human said half joking

“You know Aphran, they’d rather die than go somewhere else.”

“You’re right,” Geoff glanced at Iris juking poor Pej out of his shoes. Her baggy Cavanaugh t-shirt flapping behind her as she drove for the net. Rime laughed.

“Your little girl has got some moves, we should draft her.”

“I think she’s just little below the age limit to be drafted.”

“Do you know who we’re going to draft?” The devaronian asked “Schnitt has been tight lipped about that.”

“He insisted on making the choices himself.” Geoff answered. The coach’s comlink chirped. “Hello,”

“Coach,” Logan said his voice a bit lighter than usual, “did you have anything to do with this?”

“To do with what, Logan?” Geoff asked very confused.

“”Where are you right now?”

“At a park with my daughter, where should I be?”

“Watching the draft,”

“Schnitt said he was going to handle the draft so I took a day with my family. Why, what’s up?”

“It’s great, we drafted Mikia in the first round.” The way Logan said her name and the fact he used her first name suggested a connection between Sandin and Manx but, Geoff was too distracted to pick up on those cues.

“Schnitt did what?”

“He used our first round pick to draft Mikia…I mean Mikia Sandin. It’s great right?”

“Oh, it’s something, gotta’ go now Logan.” Geoff ended the call and immediately contacted Schnitt.

“Hello Geoff,” The balousar answers.

“You wasted the first pick of the draft on Mikia Sandin.” Geoff said an edge of annoyance in his voice.

“I think this conversation would be best had face to face.”Schnitt replies in a neutral tone. Geoff looked to Rime and gestured to the children.

“Keep an eye on Iris for me?” The coach asked. Rime nodded his head. Geoff rose and walked a few steps away. “No Schnitt we’re having this conversation now, we could have picked the Helmsman winner and you choose the third ranked half-back.”

“Did you read her bio?”

“No, she was maybe a second or third round draft pick for us, if all the better players were taken first.” The human heard a sigh on the other end one of more annoyance that surrender.

“She’s from Carratos.” Geoff was dumbfounded.

“You chose her based solely on the fact she’s from this planet? Why?”

“Hear me out. It is not a completely political move. She brings a tangible benefit to the team, more than her skills, which I think will improve once she’s on the team.”

“Care to enlighten me.”

“You’ll see.”

“I’m guessing we’ll pick Irukandji next.” Geoff grumbled

“Geoff just trust me, ok.”

“I’ve got no choice apparently.” The coach ended the call and headed back to the bench.

“What’s going on?” Rime asked as Geoff sat down.

“We drafted Mikia Sandin in the first round.” He replies annoyance in his voice

“Wait, what, we have Ternardiel we don’t need another half back. What we need is another corner back.”

“I know" Geoff said with a sigh "but, we might get Brian back before the season starts.”

“You think the league is going to let him come back?”

“He’s not a felon. Simple assault is a misdemeanor on Carratos.”

“He still went to prison.”

“Yes for one year with time served and the possibility of parole in six months.”

“That seems like a slap on the wrist.”

“It could have been a lot worse. The prosecutor could have gone for aggravated assault that carries a five year minimum sentence.”

“You seem ok with what he did.”

“I was angry with him at first” Geoff said after a sigh “but, at the trial he confessed and apologized, that’s probably why he got off so easy. I’m willing to let him back and I’m sure the league will agree as well.” Geoff looked up to see Pej tackle Iris, the crown of his head hitting her in the stomach.

“Pejastrophan Arezzo,” Rime shouted. The two fathers moved quickly to their children.

“She made fun of my horns.” Pej said pointing to Iris who was still on the ground.

“That doesn’t mean you try and gore her.” Geoff knelt down to check on his daughter.

“You ok sweetheart,”

“My tummy hurts.” She said sniffling a little. He helped her to her feet and dusted her off.

“Now Iris, did you make fun of his horns?”

“They look weird,” Geoff hung his head.

“Baby, we don’t make fun of people because they look different. Now apologize.”

“But, he hit me.”

“Only because you made fun of him,” he stepped to the side so the two children could look at each other. They looked at the ground their arms crossed.

“I’m sorry I made fun of you.” Iris said. Pej remained silent. His father nodded his head towards the humans.

“I’m sorry, I hit you” the young devaronian finally replied. Geoff smiled,

“Well, I guess it’s time to get these little ones home.”

“Yeah, see you around coach.” The two men waved good bye and headed out to their respective abodes.

TAG: Trieste (league reaction to Brian possibly rejoining the Pirates when he is released)

3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    HSN Euceron Headlines and Rumor Mill
    • With four weeks left before the draft, source within Storm says that there has been "minimal" bidding in recent weeks and that she expects most picks to sell for their current price
    • Source also says that the last pick is the "most likely" to see a higher bid before auction ends in ten days
    • Taru Racette speculates that the #29 pick is probably around "1 to 1.5 million" right now
    • General Manager Aebatt Zargana loses temper at press conference, standing on a chair while demanding to know how bidding details continue to be leaked
    • Storm subsequently announce that Aebatt's secretary has been placed on unpaid administrative leave pending an internal investigation for leaking confidential information

TAG: CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 Trieste Jedi Gunny Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun Tim Battershell Vehn Bardan_Jusik

Vehn, Trieste, Bardan_Jusik and 4 others like this.
  4. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Elite League confirms that the Euceron Storm will play an all-road schedule in 279 in wake of Euceron Stadium tragedy
    • Bakura Miners Alternate Governor Regan Eldred announces Miners will enter revenue sharing agreement with Euceron Storm for Miners/Storm game, which ordinarily would have been played on Euceron in 279
    • Eldred: “The Miners are no strangers to all-road schedules. When the Noble House first bought the team, we played seven straight all-road schedules. This franchise would not have survived without revenue sharing. It is our responsibility to do the right thing for others now.”
    • Miners agreement will split profits from ticket sales and Bakuran media deal 50-50 with Storm after deduction of operating expenses, including Miner player salaries for game and stadium rent
    • BBC Sports analyst: “Given Bakura Gardens smaller size, the media deal being included is really key as there wouldn’t be much, if anything, left over if it was just the gate”
    • Eldred says Miners have submitted the idea of revenue sharing for all Storm games to Commissioner for consideration, but have not spoken with other teams about instituting it
    • Mando'ade Mercs unable to come to terms with free agent full forward Lycar Naughten (Shistavanen male). Naughten is released to free agency
    TAG: Due to the Storm schedule impacting everyone...everyone! Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun Tim Battershell Vehn

5. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    • With two days left in the bidding process, source says that no bids have been submitted in over a week, but that some last-minute bids are possible, "especially for the #29 pick"
    • Source says that the Storm will make enough money to pay a full team of thirty players, even with the increase in minimum salary, with enough left over to hire a head coach, pay staff salaries, and possibly save for the future
    • Aebatt Zargana announces that she has "moved out" of the office she is occupying at the University of Euceron until a team from the Eusebus Police Division can sweep the room for listening devices
    • Taru Racette says that it is "great" that the Storm will be able to pay for a full season, but cautions that the team budget is likely to be tight and that the team needs to consider reducing the roster size to allow for unexpected expenses
    • Taru: "While it is wonderful that other teams have the sportsmanship to engage in revenue sharing, the Storm should not rely on that. Ideally, they should plan to play the season with their own money, and set the proceeds from revenue sharing aside to save for the future, including a new stadium at some point."

OOC: Bidding will end tonight at 8:00 PM sharp Eastern Standard Time. That's 5:00 PM Pacific and 1:00 AM British time. This means that the timestamp on your PM must be no later than 7:59 PM; a timestamp of 8:00 PM will be rejected as late.

TAG: CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 Trieste Jedi Gunny Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun Tim Battershell Vehn Bardan_Jusik

6. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    • Euceron Storm draft pick auction concludes
    • Storm have sent the list of winners to the League office for review and confirmation and to carry out the actual transfer of picks
    • Official announcement of winners to occur after League is satisfied with the review process
    • Source within Storm says that the six picks were split between five teams, with Ralltiir the only team to win two picks
    • Smugglers, Mercs, Pirates, and Monarchs are the other winners, according to source
    • Source says that #7 pick received the most bids, ending at 17.5 million credits
    • Other winning bids were in seven figures, according to source, ranging from 8.5 million for the #9 pick and 5 million for each of the two second-rounders to 4 million for the #27 pick and 2 million for the 29th and penultimate selection
    • Aebatt Zargana gives up on attempt to identify source: "At this point, it's almost certainly a slicer hacking into my HoloNet messages. And I've changed the password on that account five times, but they must have a backdoor of some kind installed. Probably because we lost our entire IT department in the explosion. So I'll just blame Rosty Bassell."
    • Storm reinstate Aebatt's secretary to her position with back pay after she is cleared by an internal investigation

7. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Euceron Storm draft pick auction brings in blockbuster numbers - including surprising winners
      • Rd1#07 - Nar Shaddaa (17,500,000)
      • Rd1#09 - Ralltiir (8,500,000)
      • Rd2#17 - Ralltiir (5,000,000)
      • Rd2#19 - Mando'ade (5,000,000)
      • Rd3#27 - Carratos (4,000,000)
      • Rd3#29 - Rydonni Prime (2,000,000)
    • Storm net 42 million credits for all six picks. All bids were approved by Elite League
    • Nar Shaddaa Smugglers resume team operations following Galactic Cup victory over Rydonni Prime
    • A statement released by the team regarding the head coaching vacancy says, "We're committed to keeping Nar Shaddaa one of the most successful franchises in league history. Our search may be short or it may take awhile, either way, we are determined to find the highest qualified candidate to take the job. Thank you for your patience. We know the fans want us to move quickly. We are working on filling all coaching vacancies as of this statement"
    • A bronze statue of Kaitlyn Vehn, right arm raised above her in victory, palm encased in an eternal flame, is set to be unveiled at the inaugural game of the 279 Smuggler's season. Lilly Vehn, speaking for the first time as owner and general manager of the Smugglers said to VCN, "Kaitlyn meant a lot to this city. She meant a lot to this team. Honoring her in this way with a statue of her standing tall and proud on the steps of Six Boroughs was the very least I could do as her friend and as her daughter. We all miss her. We all loved her very much"
    • Rumors surrounding the team suggest that the Smugglers are looking long and hard at their championship roster. Expenses seem to be mounting and with the league requiring higher salaries for rookies, something the Smugglers personally balk at, expect some veterans to walk before the draft begins
    • Mercs interested in signing free agent CB Christine Gamble, formerly of the Coruscant Senators. Other teams reportedly interested are Nar Shaddaa and Carratos
    • "I just want to go where I feel I can be the most successful," Gamble says
    • Anonymous Senator insider says that the organization has reached out to Gamble, is "trying to find common ground" with her on a new deal
    • Mando'ade Mercs unable to come to terms with free agent full forward Lycar Naughten (Shistavanen male). Naughten is released to free agency
    • Mando'ade Mercs announce that they reached terms with Jaya "Barefoot" Tam (Half forward) on a one year contract. Financial terms have not yet been disclosed but Tam's agent has confirmed that the contract also contains a provision for a second year as a player option
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

Jedi Gunny, Vehn, Runjedirun and 4 others like this.
  8. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Extra Special GM Post (Because It's 2 Days Late!)

Friendlies
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Loronar Colonials (10-20)

TAG: CPL_Macja

jcgoble3 likes this.
  9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC
    GA Captison Hotel, Gesco City, Bakura

Rocket hurried across the street, taking advantage of a lull in the speeder traffic. It was not as easy as it could be, for she had worn modest heels. She didn't like them, but making a good impression today was critical. She would suffer through them for a few hours.

The GA Captison Hotel was one of the nicest in the city. She didn't know how old it was, but it had to be as historic as a building as you could get given the devastation of Bakura earlier in the century. It was odd--so much history had been lost, outright destroyed, and yet a building like the Captison felt old to Rocket. The earliest memories she had in her childhood were still of an age when the “new Bakura,” the world rebuilt by her grandparents, was only 50 years old. Yet such care had been taken to recreate what had come before that old holos of the Captison looked much the same as the structure that now stood.

Everything old was new again, it seemed.

It was a drizzly night in Gesco City. Rocket had tried to shield her hair with some flimsi newsprint she'd found in the monorail station, but she didn't know good a job she'd done. Once inside the hotel she'd discarded the flimsi in a waste bin and stopped in front of the first mirror that she could find to see how she'd done.

Her blonde curls had stayed relatively intact despite the moisture. Gently, Rocket tested them on each side with one palm. It made her look like some vain, self-centered, silly girl--precisely the sort she despised--but she had to check. This was too important not to check. The curls were holding, so all was good. For now, at least.

Rocket shed her overcoat (she'd at least thought to wear that before leaving her apartment) and draped it over her arm. The dress she was wearing was professional and respectable. It was a good thing too--Rocket didn't have too many to choose from. She took a deep breath and turned her head from side to side to check her makeup. Everything looked good. Her blush showed her cheeks off to her advantage and her makeup hadn’t been ruined by the rain. There was no putting it off any longer.

She walked up to the check in desk and the waiting employee. "I'm here to see Isabel Tam. I was told that you could provide me with the room number," Rocket said. There was something in her voice that was a little hard, as if she inclined towards slang. Indeed, she did, but she was on best behavior tonight.

"Yes, of course. Miss Tam indicated that you were expected. One moment." The front desk staffer tapped away at his terminal keyboard. "Room 1412. Lifts are through the lobby and to the right."

"Thanks," Rocket said and with that she trotted off, her heels clacking across the polished floor. She hated the noise. She just wanted to be about her business with the least attention possible. Especially this business.

There was a lift on the ground floor when Rocket arrived and she stepped inside, joined by a couple who were headed to a floor somewhere higher than Rocket. That was odd. Given who she was supposed to be meeting, she would have thought she was headed to the penthouse suite or something like that. 1412 didn't appear to be anything special from the looks of it. Maybe this wasn't going to be what she was promised...

As the lift shot upwards, Rocket judged the acceleration. Steady, but gentle, she thought, Barely a jerk. High class joint like this...probably went for something like the D-5. Nice and fast, but not as seamless as the E-2. With what a room must go for here, they probably could have splurged. You'd barely feel yourself moving with the E-2. Cheapskates.

The lift slowed to a halt at floor 14 and Rocket stepped off. She looked left, then right down the hallway before she noticed the helpful sign that pointed the way to each series of rooms. 1412 was to the left, so Rocket went that way.

She came to the door and paused. Rocket wasn't sure if she was ready for this. She knew she was, but even so, this was big. Like really big. Like this was the break that she had always needed. This was the kind of thing that didn't happen every day. And it was happening to her.

One big deep breath in...and out. Rocket reached out and pressed the button by the door. She thought she could hear the chime inside the room, but that must have been her imagination. The rooms here were probably so well-built that such a thing wasn't possible. The intervening seconds of waiting were so suspenseful that Rocket had to remind herself to breathe.

They asked you here, she thought, You wouldn't be here if they didn't already want to do business with you. You have the upper hand. Rocket didn't quite believe that last bit, but she was going to stick with it all the same.

The door slid open. "You must be Miss Richaud. Please come in."

"Thanks," Rocket said, stepping inside. She looked around the hotel room. It was a nice hotel room, much nicer than anything she had ever stayed in, but it was nowhere near the level of luxury that she had anticipated.

She must not have been that covert about her inspection, nor about her observations. "Expecting something different?"

"No...I mean yes, well...kinda," Rocket admitted, "I mean, after what I had heard about your operation and everything, I thought you would have ritzed it up."

She smiled and indicated for Rocket to take a seat at the table in the room, doing so herself. "If there's one thing I've learned, it's that flying under the radar has its benefits. If there's a second thing I've learned, it's that we want the clients in the high roller suites, not us."

"Right," Rocket said, feeling appropriately chastened. She wasn't sure what else she should say, so she decided against saying anything at all.

"So, since you brought it up, tell me what you've heard about us."

"That you're the best," Rocket said simply, "You have an operation that caters to the most exclusive clients no matter where they are through the galaxy. That you provide discretion. That you expect results." Rocket paused and thought for a moment. "Those would be the high points."

Across the table, Bennett Halverson smiled. "Those would indeed be the 'high points.' You've told me about Rossum, now tell me about yourself."

This was getting weirder and weirder. "I thought you'd already heard about me. That's why you wanted to meet."

"Indulge me," Bennett requested.

"Well..." Rocket took a deep breath. "I've been a runner for a local outfit. Totally legal. Bakura--I don't know if you know this about us, but Bakura is pretty permissive. I mean, as long as you're not hurting anyone, it's probably going to be okay here. Our gambling is pretty heavily regulated and taxed though."

"I'm aware," Bennett said, "Part of the great legacy of the Triestes. Do what you want, but pay a price in taxes if not everyone thinks you should be doing it. I understand that's how namana is still grown here. No government subsidies, moderate to heavy taxes."

"Yeah, leave it to the politicians to tax the heck out of something like that," Rocket said, "I mean, I don't do namana, that stuff is at least mildly addictive depending on who you believe, but still. Principle of the thing."

"Such is the way of the galaxy," Bennett said, "But we were talking about you."

"Right," Rocket said, mentally cursing herself for getting off track, "So I'm a runner. I take bets, I make collections. I've never missed a collection yet." Rocket sat up a little straighter as she said this last part. It was a point of personal pride.

"These things I know," Halverson said, "Now tell me something I don't know."

Rocket heistated. She wasn't sure what this woman wanted to hear. "I don't think there's much to tell, ma'am. I came to Gesco City to work on the line after living in the middle of nowhere."

"Yes, tell me about your other employment."

"I work at a repulsor factory. Bakur Respulsor Coup. Best one there is. Hand-built parts, none of that droid stuff. I do good work there."

"Why have you worked as a runner?" Bennett asked.

"Is that really your concern, Miss Halverson?" Rocket replied. The instant the words were out, she regretted them. She waited for the inevitable blowback.

But Bennett just smiled. "Perhaps not. Perhaps it is. For now, we'll say not. Agreed, Miss Richaud?"

"Agreed. And call me Rocket."

"I take it that's not your given name?"

"No."

"A mathematician's answer," Bennett said. Rocket didn't know what that was, but decided not to ask. She'd look it up on the Holonet later. Bennett changed the subject anyways. "Your current employers have spoken highly of you. Rossum's Bakuran operation has grown in the last few years. We have acquired several lucrative clients, particularly here in Gesco City. These clients require a personal touch and for that Rossum employs local agents to represent us to ensure discretion.

"That is where you come in.

"I want you to provide the same services you provide to your current employer to Rossum. Run the bets, make the collections when required," Bennett explained.

"That's what they told me. What I don't understand is why they are okay with losing me," Rocket said.

"Your current--and I hope soon-to-be past--employers and I have come to an arrangement on that point. They understand that Rossum can be quite generous."

"And it's been made clear that I am not interested in long-term work?" Rocket asked, "One season, one limmie season, and I'm out."

"It has, if that is your desire at the conclusion of the season," Bennett said.

"Okay. Just one more question," Rocket said.

"Of course. As many as you like."

"Why me?"

"How so?" Bennett asked.

"It's my impression--and correct me if I'm wrong--that these clients you want me to run for you are pretty big fish."

"They are."

"They might be the sort who can afford protection. Protection that might be a problem if they don't want to pay up," Rocket elaborated, "I'm sure you've noticed I'm not exactly a bruiser. I can't take on that kind of muscle if it comes to it."

"You said you've never missed a collection," Bennett said, "I can't imagine that's because every person was willing to fork over the credits every time you came calling."

"I had to get creative a couple of times," Rocket admitted.

"I've heard it's more than a just 'a couple,'" Bennett said, "I'm inclined to put my faith in anyone who shows that level of ingenuity, especially if she has a name like Rocket."

"Okay then..." Rocket said, nodding once, "About the financial particulars--"

"I'm aware of what my intermediaries agreed upon with you. Those arrangements were made with my knowledge and approval. Given the nature of this business, I take it a handshake will be sufficient."

"Sure. Just do me right and I'll never do you wrong," Rocket said, sticking her hand out.

Bennett shook it. "On that basis, we have an agreement. You'll receive your client list tomorrow."

"I look forward to doing good business with you, Miss Halverson," Rocket said, standing.

"Indeed," Bennett said.

Rocket turned to go. She got all the way to the door and was about to open it when she was stopped. "Oh, Rocket?"

She turned. "Yeah?"

"It may be important to Rossum's operation on Bakura that some of the dealings of our clients go unnoticed by authorities for reasons that do not bear discussion. It would be in your interest to make that is the case for all of your accounts. Should there be any complications, Rossum's policy is to jettison assets classified as...expendable. I take it you understand?"

"Yeah..."

"Glad to know we're both on the same page," Bennett said.

"We are," Rocket said.

"Take care."

"You too."

Rocket left the hotel room and walked back to the lift. There was a bit of a rapid clip to her pace, just enough to attract attention if one was very observant. Once inside, she punched the button for the ground floor until the doors shut. For all Bennett Halverson's niceties, Rocket wanted to get away from here. She knew she'd just made a deal that could go south real quick. But it was a deal that could give her what she'd always wanted.

One season, Rocket thought, Just got to make it through one season and then I'm clear...

Me Approved!

[​IMG]
    Name: Epie “Rocket” Richaud
    Species: Human
    Birth Year: 254 ABY
    Physical appearance: See above
    Homeworld: Bakura
    Relation to Team: Fan
    Brief Biography: Six Boroughs Stadium? She's never even been off world. Owner's box? She can't even afford a nosebleed ticket at Bakura Gardens--assuming she could afford to travel there. Limmie pitch? Last time she was on one of those, it was tenth grade PE class and she tripped over her own feet. Rocket couldn't be any further from Elite League Limmie action if she tried...except in one respect. For the right people in Gesco City that are looking for some action on the games, then Rocket's the one to see.

Epie--who is called that by exactly no one except her mother--left the family farm in Middle of Nowhere, Telaan Valley as soon as she graduated high school. She moved to Gesco City to work at the Bakur RepulsorCorp plant. Rocket is a good worker and takes pride in her job. Her work product was recognized after a few years when she was named one of the shift leaders on the production line. She is responsible for training new workers in addition to her regular work duties.

Rocket played lightball in high school. Her talent level was good for high school, but not much beyond that. She still plays in a recreational adult league. Like the majority of Bakurans, Rocket is a limmie fan (largely thanks to her father) and a Miner fan. Her sports heroine is Alana Glencross.

She has a secret desire. She wants one thing more than anything else in the world. The only problem is that Rocket did the math. She can’t afford it on her factory worker salary. That’s why on the side she’s been a runner for a local sportsbook.

Rocket’s work has brought her to the attention of one of the galaxy’s biggest and most unknown organizations: Rossum Bookmakers. Now she’s in charge of some of their exclusive numbered accounts held by the Gesco City gentry. Once again, Rocket did the math. One season of Elite League Limmie betting with Rossum and she’ll have enough credits to realize her dream. Just one season...

TAG: None

10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines
    • Elite League Limmie announces the Denon Demons will join Solo Conference in 279 to round out 12 team league
    • Full season schedule released
    279 Elite League Limmie Regular Season Schedule
    Week 1
    Carratos Pirates at Coruscant Senators
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Mando’ade Mercs
    Bakura Miners at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Agamar Packers at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    Euceron Storm at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers
    Denon Demons at Ylesia Lightning

Week 2
    Bakura Miners at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers
    Mando’ade Mercs at Carratos Pirates
    Euceron Storm at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Agamar Packers
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Denon Demons
    Coruscant Senators at Ylesia Lightning

Week 3
    Denon Demons at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Euceron Storm at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Ylesia Lightning
    Mando’ade Mercs at Coruscant Senators
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Carratos Pirates
    Agamar Packers at Bakura Miners

Week 4
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Carratos Pirates
    Coruscant Senators at Denon Demons
    Agamar Packers at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers
    Ylesia Lightning at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Euceron Storm at Bakura Miners
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Mando’ade Mercs

Week 5
    Agamar Packers at Mando’ade Mercs
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Coruscant Senators
    Bakura Miners at Denon Demons
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Ylesia Lightning
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Euceron Storm at Carratos Pirates

Week 6
    Carratos Pirates at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Agamar Packers
    Ylesia Lightning at Bakura Miners
    Euceron Storm at Coruscant Senators
    Denon Demons at Mando’ade Mercs

Week 7
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Ylesia Lightning at Mando’ade Mercs
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Bakura Miners
    Carratos Pirates at Agamar Packers
    Euceron Storm at Denon Demons
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Coruscant Senators

Week 8
    Coruscant Senators at Agamar Packers
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Bakura Miners at Carratos Pirates
    Euceron Storm at Ylesia Lightning
    Denon Demons at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers
    Mando’ade Mercs at Ralltiir Starkillers

Week 9
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    Agamar Packers at Ylesia Lightning
    Euceron Storm at Mando’ade Mercs
    Carratos Pirates at Denon Demons
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers
    Bakura Miners at Coruscant Senators

Week 10
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Coruscant Senators
    Ylesia Lightning at Carratos Pirates
    Euceron Storm at Agamar Packers
    Denon Demons at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Mando’ade Mercs
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Bakura Miners

Week 11
    Agamar Packers at Denon Demons
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Carratos Pirates
    Mando’ade Mercs at Bakura Miners
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Ylesia Lightning
    Euceron Storm at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Coruscant Senators at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun Tim Battershell Vehn

11. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    GM Approved!

[​IMG]

Name: Lilly Vehn
    Birth year: 259 ABY
    Physical appearance: Slender, brown hair, green eyes, 5’7’’
    Homeworld: Bakura
    Relation to Team: General Manager and Owner of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers

Lilly Vehn is the heiress to a sporting empire, the adopted daughter of an assassinated leader of the Vertical City, and a woman on the mend following a miraculous healing by the Jedi that helped her to walk again.

She knows what it takes to find top talent in the league. She knows how to manage a roster full of strong personalities and gifted athletes. Despite her knowledge, hard decisions loom for the franchise that dwells in the stadium known as Six Boroughs. It is becoming too expensive to keep the current roster intact: a roster that has netted two Galactic Cup championships in three years. Some veterans will have to take discounts or find another team to play for.

All is not well in the city that never sleeps. A dark shadow looms across the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers organization following the assassination of owner, general manager, and mayor of the Vertical City Kaitlyn Vehn. Despite winning a record 11th Galactic Cup in a historic run for the title the entire team and franchise finds itself on unstable ground as a gaping hole exists throughout the Smuggler’s coaching staff in the wake of John Huntington’s death, also killed in the successful assassination attempt of Kaitlyn Vehn.

The hunt is on and young Lilly Vehn has a number of problems on her plate. Despite the stress and the looming crisis surrounding the Smugglers roster there is only one problem that burns in Lilly’s mind: who really killed Kaitlyn Vehn?

IC: Lilly Vehn
    New Vertica, Nar Shaddaa

Lilly’s dark hair flowed around her shoulders as she stood in Kaitlyn Vehn’s old office. Kaitlyn’s energy was still in the room. Hung around like an old ghost patrolling a familiar haunt. Lilly had done her best to remove all of Kaitlyn’s personal effects but some things just couldn’t be wiped away with a sweep of the hand. Some things, like memories, lingered for an entire lifetime. Maybe that was a blessing. Maybe that was a curse. Lilly wasn’t sure which one to pick in this moment as she eyed the rush hour traffic that zoomed at eye-level all around her.

Her delicate fingers tapped away on the corner of the desk. Some indescribable rhythm from a song heard on the radio on the way in to her first day as the general manager of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers. What a strange feeling. One moment she’d been scouting potential draft picks on Denon and the next she was on the quickest shuttle flight home with more money attached to her bank accounts than anything she’d ever dreamed of before. Now she owned the team. Now she owned one of the great franchises.

The overwhelming feelings of euphoria from last season’s historic Galactic Cup victory still hung on her mind. She’d been warned by those in the know about the championship hangover. She’d once laughed all that off. Not anymore. No, now she believed them wholeheartedly. It was hard not to get lost in that championship moment. She’d sat with the Galactic Cup trophy all night running her hands across the names of the victorious 278 Smugglers squad that now rested a notch above the others, in particular, the Bakura Miners. She had returned the trophy to the league on time and in mint condition. It was the least she could do as a young woman who had crawled her way out of the depths of despair on more than one occasion.

The time to celebrate was over. The time for business was just beginning.

“Your 10 o’clock is here,” her secretary chirped.

“Send her in,” Lilly responded.

Footsteps sounded on the carpeted floor of the office. Lilly didn’t bother to look. She knew who’d just entered her office. She knew that there was only one reason this woman was before her now. Lilly didn’t have any hard feelings toward her guest. Sure, she came from a franchise that the Smugglers had battled in the golden ages of the past but things were different now. Those frozen relations had thawed. It was a new dawn. It was the Silver Age of Limmie. Most importantly, Lilly needed a veteran presence in the locker room. She needed that yesterday. This woman could provide that.

“Somehow I expected more from Kaitlyn Vehn’s office,” the woman said looking around.

“You could have at least dressed up for the interview,” Lilly shot back.

The woman shrugged in her blouse and jeans. “Sorry, just trying to fit in with the rabble out here. That smell outside could take some getting used to.”

“That smell is billions of people who live every day with a poverty so deep, so crushing, that you couldn’t even begin to imagine what that must be like,” Lilly said crossing her arms across her chest.

“Easy, Miss Vehn-“

“Call me Lilly. Miss Vehn was my mother,” Lilly responded.

“Name your terms, Lilly,” the woman said.

“Three years, a competitive salary, you coach the team, come up with the schemes, and I buy the groceries,” Lilly pointed out.

“Three years,” the woman repeated running a hand across some old books that hadn’t been moved out of the office yet. “Is that supposed to entice me to stay?”

“Three Galactic Cup championships in this decade alone,” Lilly said.

“I know the numbers. Besides, the Miners have already accomplished that goal. It’s becoming almost pedestrian,” the woman replied.

“I found the talent. I recommended we select Erin Windreaver a few years ago,” Lilly pointed out.

“So you have the eye. That’s a start,” the woman said.

“Enough with the games. You either in or out?”

Reina Kether looked Lilly Vehn in the eye, smirked, and replied, “I’m out. It’s not you, Lilly. It’s the smell. Good luck with your search.”

Lilly Vehn watched Kether go and sighed. This head coaching search was not going very well. Aileen Wynn had turned down a similar opportunity. She’d used up all her resources. She hadn’t even gotten to team contracts yet. This was getting out of hand. The season wasn’t very far away. Training camp was even closer. As much as she loved the fact that the Smugglers took home a title without a head coach she didn’t want to to have the franchise go in that direction with the new season zooming at her like an out of control garbage truck.

“You have someone to see you,” her secretary chirped again.

“Maker, will they leave me the frak alone!” Lilly yelled as she spun around to face the door.

“I can go if you’d like but I think that would mean you’d have to go chasing after that iron schutta known as Reina Kether and offer her a job.”

Lilly covered her mouth. “Oh my Maker, I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be. I still have quite the sailor’s mouth.”

“What are you doing here?” Lilly asked.

“I’m answering the call of duty.”

“You mean…”

“Yes, I accept, if you’ll have me.”

Lilly rushed forward and embraced the one woman who had been a stalwart for the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers organization these many years. The one woman who had the best selling Smuggler jersey of all time. The woman who had done everything she could have ever wanted with her professional career. Now, she was in Lilly’s office, saying yes to the most important question of them all.

“Welcome home, Meredith,” Lilly said as she pulled away to look Chambers-Vayne in the eye.

“Glad to be home,” Meredith replied and wiped away a little tear that trickled down her face, “glad to be home.”

“Are you ready?” Lilly asked.

“Always ready.”

“Ready to begin again,” Lilly said as she clutched Meredith’s hand tightly into her own. "We've got a lot of work to do."

"I know," Meredith replied as the two began to have a good talk about the future of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers franchise.

Tag: No One

Trieste, jcgoble3, Jedi Gunny and 4 others like this.
  12. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Gark S’rily
    Bakura

“Of course I’m serious,” Gark said into the comlink. “I feel like we can help each other out. It’s worked out before, didn’t it?”

“I guess I can’t argue too much,” Adanna Inviere said on the other end of the line. “Alysha has played well for us ever since you decided to trade her my way a few years back. But what I’m stuck on here is your return price. I’m not going to give up Montes that cheap. It’s going to cost you more than you are offering.”

“What more do you need?” Gark inquired. “I’d like to get a deal done here, preferably before our pick. And that’s not too far off, to be honest.”

Adanna just sighed on the other end of the line. “Look, you’re going to have to come at me with some offers, because right now I’m not in the best of conditions to be scrounging around rosters. You know that I just had a baby recently, and I’m still getting used to the whole ‘get up in the middle of the night about ten times to attend to baby’s every need’ bit. It’s a pain in the ass, I’ll tell you.”

“Oh, I know all too well what that’s like,” Gark said. His wife had just given birth as well, so he had a second child to deal with now in that stage of life. “And I’ll come up with some ideas and shoot them back to you.” He hung up the comlink and rubbed his temples a little bit.

“So, how’s the quest to get Montes?” Peet Carelle inquired. The man just had no end of energy, it seemed.

“I can’t say it’s a done deal, but it’s going alright,” Gark said.

“Doesn’t look like it, from the way you’re acting,” Polis Vayne, the team’s offensive coordinator, Hall-of-Fame Senator forward, and Gark’s neighbor, said.

“Adanna wants more from our end than Kender. I’ve tried to push some Thyferra players on her, but she won’t budge. She wants more; only question is how much more she has in mind. And of course she doesn’t have any real demands in mind. So it’s up to us to determine how much we want to unload to get a goalkeeper. Bring up a roster, would you?” Gark asked his assistant, a Chiss woman. She didn’t say anything, and neither did he, about their torrid one-night stand several months earlier. She had been promoted to this position as a result, but Gark didn’t want to let it on.

Up came the roster, both for the Senators, and for the Thyferra Force, the Senator’s developmental team. “We have a few options here,” Gark commented. “We either try to build the deal around Kender, or we have to part ways with our top prospects.”

“Are you insane? That’s too risky,” Rosa Berant, the defensive coordinator, said.

“We also need a goaltender that badly,” Peet interjected, his hand propping up his head. “Barbosa retiring gives us just a few options, and from what I’ve heard they aren’t the best.”

“It leaves us with Tarpals or Kender, and that’s not the best situation,” Gark said, clarifying the situation. “Don’t get me wrong, we traded a lot of pieces for Kender a few years back. She’s got talent. But I don’t know if she really fits in here. Tarpals at least gives us more experience, as he mopped up for Zeke last year when he was out and won a few games. I’d give him the nod over Kender on flimsy right now.”

“But is Montes really worth the asking price?” Rosa asked. “I mean, the C-Bucs have a good defense already. How much of that is Montes, and how much of it are star backs?”

“Besides, she’s got one year left on her current deal,” chimed in Helena Forsythe, one of the team scouts. She had found Arienne Farfell for the Senators on a scouting trip, and Farfell had come off a successful rookie year for the Senators. “Is she willing to commit to us long-term? I’d rather save our assets unless we can get her to sign an extension with us.”

“A rental isn’t always a good idea,” Peet added.

“Fine. But that depends on if she wants to sign with us,” Gark said.

“Do what you can,” Polis said. “We’re not out anything in asking.”

“So who are we willing to move?” Gark inquired. He looked around the table at his staff. “Kender is a no-brainer, since the C-Bucs don’t have a backup keeper. She’s also our second-best prospect in the new rankings. So we have to give her up. I was thinking we could part ways with her pal, Gundor. She’s obviously comfortable playing with her friend, and can entice Adanna to part ways with Montes.”

“But that’s still a weak trade,” Rosa said. “We need more than that to convince them to drop their star goalie.”

“And that’s the sticking point,” Gark said, rubbing his chin. “I don’t want to have to trade Polarez.” Callie Polarez, who had the dubious distinction of being the only Senators draft pick from 278 to not make the team out of camp, was their number-one prospect. A third-round pick, she had been a Helmsman finalist but had not been kindly received in the HSN Rankings. Her stock had dropped, and the Senators had made her their final pick. She had burst onto the scene with the Force, and seemed to be on the fast-track to Coruscant if she kept producing. So she was off the block. “Dekula might be an interesting choice . . .”

“I’d rather we not,” Rosa said. “August’s got some fight in her. I like her as a backup.”

“The Kuna sisters like it here, that much is clear,” Polis said. “They even offered a reduced rate for us to re-sign them after this season.”

“Cellen isn’t going anywhere,” Peet commented. “I like her spunk as a reserve forward. She’ll be the next-up if one of our starting forwards goes down or is ineffective. Same with Zalt.”

“And I’d like to keep Killenger and Amasova,” Gark said. “I’m not trading away those pieces if I don’t have to. They meant a lot to the offense this season.”

“And forget Milovy,” Rosa added. “She’s a great mentor for the young corners, and if we lose Gamble . . . then we’re covered.”

Oh yes, Gark thought, Gamble. What was going on there, he didn’t know. All he did know was that she was talking with other teams, and that would drive the price up. He didn’t want to let her go at all costs, but at some point it would be better to replace her and save money for other players rather than dive headfirst into a terrible contract that they would be eating for years to come.

“What about the Renhorns?” Helena asked. “I thought you wanted me to keep an eye on them.”

“Doubt Hapes will want Gayla,” Gark said. “I hate to say it, but she’s still our most experienced midfielder. That’s the only reason she’s still here with us. Alex may be trade bait. Morgan is probably a useful piece.”

“But we can’t trade them all away,” Peet said.

“What about Lovenforth?” asked Jed Ortmeyer, the Force GM. “She had a good season, but is stuck behind quite a bit of depth. She won’t make it to Coruscant for several seasons, even if we do have injuries. She’s got utility value . . .”

“What were her stats?” Gark asked.

“Not as productive as Polarez or Renhorn, but she did pretty well given that she’s not the best forward we have,” Jed replied.

“Is she replaceable if we dump her for Montes?” Gark asked.

“Probably. We could pick up a forward in the Draft here if necessary,” Jed said.

“Probably later. We need a defender right now,” Rosa said.

“Can’t argue that,” Gark said. Rainy Frantsen had retired, leaving a half back spot open, and the release of Ugdulo Borr opened up a slot at full back with second-year sensation Deluxx likely taking over the starting role. So they needed a reserve defender. “What options do we have in-house, Jed?”

“Zovort is probably Elite League-ready,” Jed said. “He was a decent prospect with the Mercs when we got him, and I think it might be time to unleash him. Other than that, we don’t have a hell of a lot, although Lomgat Vu had decent stats and has plenty of size.”

“Then we’re stuck looking at other players,” Gark said.

He was interrupted by the Commissioner going onto the stage. "With the first overall pick in the 279 Elite League Limmie Draft, the Carratos Pirates select Mikia Sandin, University of Bilbringi.” The Bothan had been so wrapped-up in talking with the C-Bucs organization that he had forgotten about the Draft going on.

“She was slated to go later in most Mocks. I wonder what they’re thinking,” Peet said.

“Probably adding some depth to that defense. It was horrid last season,” Polis said. “They got Ternardiel, and now a new half back.”

“But why not take Hervey?” Rosa asked. “He’s more polished.”

“Local girl, apparently,” Helena said, looking over her notes. “Lots of PR can be gained by taking a local kid.”

“Besides, us taking Adama last year didn’t make a whole lot of sense either,” Jed chipped in. “She wasn’t slated to go until late in the first round.”

“She was still highly-rated,” Gark shot back. “Top full forward, and second overall forward to Elbog. Not like this; Sandin was the . . . what, fourth . . . back prospect?”

“Doesn’t matter. She’s off the board,” Helena said. The Chiss woman refreshed the Draft list, and Sandin’s name disappeared.

The Miners were on the clock, and it didn’t take long for them to take Hervey. The Korun had a ton of muscle, that was for sure. He would have fit right in with the Senators defense, Gark pondered, but now they wouldn’t find out. The Mercs were now on the clock with consecutive picks.

“I bet they take Connor here,” Peet said. “We need to make that deal for Montes before someone else gets the bright idea to sign her from under our noses. No need to give Inviere more time to work on other offers.”

“You’re right,” Gark said. “But who do we trade for Montes?”

“Kender, Gundor, and Lovenforth. Give it a shot. We’re not out anything right now,” Polis said.

“Alright, I’ll put in the call,” Gark said. He dialed Adanna, and got her on the second ring.

“So, you have a proposal for me?”

“I thought that was Maff’s job,” Gark said jokingly, referring to Adanna’s husband, who had once played for the Senators.

“Cut the crap and get to it. Your pick is coming up,” Adanna said. “I’d like to get a deal done now.”

“Fine. We’re offering you Kender, Girola Gundor, her defensive back friend, and Pella Lovenforth, who is a utility forward. Plays full and corner, did well this last season on Thyferra.”

“Lot of prospects there,” Adanna noted. “You sure you aren’t willing to beef up the offer?”

“Perhaps. Depends on how badly you want a utility forward with experience, a young goalie with more team control than the one you have, and a half back with promise.”

Adanna was quiet for a few seconds. “What makes you think we need them?” she finally asked.

“Because your offense needs all the help it can get. Besides, your defense sagged this past season,” Gark said, pointing out the facts. “Wai Lin can’t produce like that forever. You’ve needed to replace the Mastersons for some time now, we both know that.”

Again, there was silence on the other end of the line. When Adanna came back on, she sighed. “I’m going to hate myself for doing this, but . . .”

“But what?” Gark prodded.

“I’ll accept your deal,” Adanna said. “Montes is all yours.”

“Very well. We’ll process things with the league,” Gark said. “Glad to do business with you.” He then cut the connection, and looked at his staff. “We’ve got Montes,” he said.

This brought out a round of cheers from his staff. “Now we can focus on filling our roster holes,” Peet said, a wide grin on his face.

“And we only have a few picks to wait until we know who is left on the board,” Rosa said.

As if to give her instant gratification, the Mercs made the third overall pick, taking Mauntash. It was a smart decision, taking the Helmsman winner. But what it also meant was that the Mercs weren’t taking chances with signing Christine to a contract in the offseason. If they were making a backup plan, Gark mused, then hopefully it was one fewer team to defeat to retain his star corner. Bakura and Nar Shaddaa were still major players, and Carratos was loading up on defense and would probably overpay to get Christine, but at least the Mercs seemed somewhat out of the running. So the pick may have some use to it after all, the GM thought.

“The HSN mock has them taking Connor here,” Helena said.

“Eh, we’ve got Montes now. Don’t need another goalie,” Peet said.

The Mercs then took Vera Langdon, the top-rated forward prospect. That seemed to have changed the atmosphere of things at the Draft. A few scattered boos could be heard in the draft hall. The Mercs taking a VCU grad? ‘Insane’ was all that could be used to describe it.

“They’re just asking for trouble,” Rosa said, shaking her head. “I know Langdon was on our shortlist, but that just won’t work. Someone’s gonna get beat up over that. I feel bad for the girl, really. If other teams don’t try to break her kneecaps, the fans will, and she hasn’t done more than receive a jersey yet.”

“Luckily it’s not our problem of how the Mercs fans react,” Gark said. “They can beat the crap out of their team, and then it’s easier for us to win this year. Got a rivalry loss streak to break there. The more help we get from them, the better.”

Now Agamar was up. The Mock said defense here, but Sandin was already gone at first overall, so there was no telling what the Packers would do now. With Tim Dodd now gone from their team, it was possible that the Packers might follow a different strategy this year. But the Senators weren’t too worried about things, at least not yet.

“You know, I’m still surprised that Connor got past the Mercs,” Gark said.

“Her stats were better than Oayen. I know the award went to her, but still . . .” Helena said.

Gark racked his brain. Something in a scouting report came to mind. “Helena,” he said, seemingly snapping out a stupor as he said this. “Bring up our interviews with Connor from the combine.”

“Why?” Peet inquired.

“Because I want to hear something that she said. Didn’t think about it until now,” Gark said.

Helena dutifully did so, and the Chiss assistant brought the interview footage up on screen. There was Connor, wearing her Taanab A&M gloves to go along with her combine outfit of dark blue uniform and shorts. “You’re easily on the best goalies in the galaxy, but we heard that wasn’t the only position you’ve ever played.”

“Nah, goal’s my best position, but back in high school, and for part of college before I kept goal full-time, I played half back. A bit of full back, too.”

“Why didn’t you stay on defense?”

“There’s always been something about being the last line of defense that’s exhilarating,” Connor commented. “Sure you give up points and you feel like crap, but if you do well, there’s nothing like allowing zero goals in a game and knowing that you just made your opponents tear their hair out.” She laughed after saying this. “Goal’s pretty damn fun, but about playing defense, I figured that goalie was my best way to get meaningful minutes. I played full back my freshman year of high school, on the freshman team. Didn’t do really well, and when I got to JV the next year I split reps at goal and half back. Did a lot better there. Played two ways in high school, even mixed in a little forward when injuries got to our front line.”

“So do you consider potentially playing more than goal in the pros?” the reporter asked.

“I’ll probably go to a team that needs me to mind the net full-time for a living, but if given the opportunity, I’d like to play a little defense. I’ve always liked to hit people, and contact is definitely the name of the game for me. If you ever saw some of my high school recruiting Holos, you’d see why I say this.”

The image changed to slightly-fuzzy Holos of her high school highlight reels. She made several spectacular saves, making things look easy. Then the highlights changed to defensive back. She made a few decent plays, but nothing special. And then it came. She was playing goalie, but had ventured out of the box. What in the hell she was doing there, no one had any idea. But she pretty much clotheslined an opposing forward and retrieved the ball. The next highlight was of her as a goalie making a bone-crunching hit on a full forward who dared to go into her territory. The more the staff watched, the more they saw a goalie who had an intense interest in hitting, and hitting hard.

“Maker, she hits like a tank,” Rosa said. “And she’s still going to the goal box to take the shots afterwards. Her toughness is off the charts.”

“Things are different in college,” Peet reminded his defensive coordinator. “You should know that, Rosa. I bet Herman wasn’t polished when he joined your program.”

“Oh, she has a reel from college, too,” Helena said. These new reels came up, and nothing changed. Although it was mostly goal highlights, sometimes Connor would go and destroy opposing forwards. Even in her last college game, she still snuck into the opponent’s formation while using a decoy in goal and laid the lumber before retreating out. That confused the opponents, and the ball went over to Taanab.

“She’s a monster,” Polis said, shaking his head.

“Unbelievable,” Peet echoed.

“Now, I don’t know why the Mercs passed on her, but I think if she falls to us we have to take her,” Gark said.

“But we already have Montes,” Peet said. “We just traded for her, and now we’re going to draft a goalie? It just doesn’t make sense, especially since we have Tarpals to be our backup.”

“From what I’m seeing, Connor is more than just a goalie, she’s an athlete,” Gark remarked. “We need defenders, and we need a backup goalie. I think we take her here, where there is little risk . . .”

He stopped as the Packers readied to send in their pick. Dorf Landa, former thorn in the Senators’ side from his Miners days, had the Packers jersey in his hands. "Commissioner, Gentlebeings, perhaps even some teammates.... With the fifth pick of the 279 ABY Limmie Draft.... Agamar Packers are pleased to select.... Frax Oayan University of Euceron!

The Coruscant Senators are now on the clock; thank you!"

Oayen, who had been slated in the HSN mock to fall to Coruscant in the second round, was now off the board. But Connor was still there.

“I can’t believe it, she’s fallen to us,” Gark said.

“We still have Montes . . .” Peet cautioned. “Don’t want to piss off our new stud goalie by bringing in competition.”

“Then she doesn’t need to know,” Gark said. “If this trade isn’t processed until later, then we might be able to . . .” But he never got to finish his statement because the comlink rang. What was it now? A trade offer? Gark picked it up. “Hello?” he asked into the speaker.

“This is Camille Montes,” came the voice on the other end of the line.

“Ah, Ms. Montes, nice to hear from you,” Gark said. A bead of sweat dripped down his fur. This hadn’t been anticipated.

“Ms. Inviere just told me I have been traded to your organization,” the woman replied. “I am excited to join the Senators.”

“We’re glad to have you,” Gark said.

“Do you know who your next pick is? I’ve been following the Draft, and I am very interested in finding out who my new teammate will be.”

“Well, Ms. Montes, we’re still figuring that out . . .”

“I think you can go with defense,” Camille said. “I would very much like to have a good defense in front of me, like I had on Hapes.”

“Yeah, we were thinking of going that direction . . .”

“And if you could sign Gamble, that would be very much appreciated . . .”

“I’m trying to . . .” Gark said, but Montes cut him off again. The longer this drew out, the more nervous he was getting. And the less time the Senators had to make a decision.

While the GM was on the call, the other staff members were jabbering back and forth. “Do we take Cherf like the Mock says?” Peet asked Rosa.

“She’d be a decent piece,” the woman said, nodding. “Not sure if we want to use this high a pick on the third-ranked half back in the draft, though.”

“Don’t have much of a choice with Hervey and Sandin off the board,” Peet pointed out.

“And we don’t need Forkes,” Polis said. “Adama would be pissed at us if we drafted a highly-rated full forward.”

“I hate to say it, but Connor is the way to go here, I’m just saying,” Helena commented. “The GM’s right; she’s a freak athlete.”

“But if Montes is on the line, she’ll be pissed to hear that we’re drafting competition,” Rosa said.

“More competition never hurt anyone,” Peet offered.

“OK, Ms. Montes, I need to go and make our pick. We can talk about logistics afterwards, OK?” Gark asked.

“Very well,” Camille said.

Gark put down the comlink and then looked at his staff, then at the chrono. They had two minutes left to make their pick, and yet they had no consensus.

“Who are we taking?” he asked.

“Connor,” Helena said.

“We don’t have any better options,” Polis finally said. “Even if she’s going to be a project pick here, we could do a lot worse.”

“I’d prefer Cherf, but if we can get Connor to play defense, then we fill that spot anyways,” Rosa commented.

“Get the deal done,” Peet said.

“So it shall be,” Gark said. He hoped that Montes wouldn’t be too pissed to see their new draft pick. He took the jersey and headed out to the podium. The security guard behind the curtain let him pass without question, and he went up to the stage.

“With the sixth overall pick in the 279 Elite League Draft,” he said, “the Coruscant Senators select Sarah Connor, goalkeeper from Taanab A&M University.”

[​IMG]

Immediately the applause started, and in the distance Gark could see Connor get up from her seat and come forward. She looked every bit as tough as she had been in that interview, and when she came up to receive the jersey, Gark got a very stiff handshake from the rookie.

“Welcome aboard,” Gark whispered as the Holos were taken with the jersey.

“Good to be here,” the goalie said. “I intend to do whatever you need me to do.”

“I heard you’re not just a goalie. You want to play some defense this season?”

“Hell yeah,” Connor said. “Plug me in wherever I can get some minutes. I’ll learn the ropes in whatever capacity I’m needed.”

“Good. You should fit right in,” Gark said. “See you after the Draft,” he said before retreating back to the War Room, but not before saying “The _ are on the clock!”. Connor went to the team table, manned by an assistant and by Gark’s adopted son Mykal Oha. The high school senior seemed a lot more poised this time than he had been last season during the Draft, and Gark had instructed him to be friendly towards the new Senator draft pick prior to the event, whoever it would be. And now they knew.

When Gark returned to the room, he instantly picked up the comlink. Montes was still on the line. “Ms. Montes, I know what we just did may concern you . . .”

“Yes it did,” the Hapan said. Obviously she wasn’t happy about it.”

“But I can assure you that the starting job is basically yours . . .”

“You give me some competition, and it pushes me to get better,” Montes said. “Very shrewd move.”

“Look, I know you’re probably upset that we just took a goalie . . .”

“Then I have to crush her in camp to get the starting job. Fine by me,” Montes said. “Competition makes me better, makes me work harder, train harder. I could have broken your web-footed goalie easily. But Connor will give me a run for my credits.”

“So it’s not all bad, then?” Gark asked.

“I relish the challenge,” Montes said. “Anyways, you are probably busy, so I will let you get back to work. Nice to be a part of your organization.”

“I will talk with you soon,” Gark said. The other end of the line clicked, and he put the comlink down, knowing that he had dodged a laser blast there. If Montes hadn’t been willing to deal with Connor, then he would have been in a bind. But if she was all for it, then it made him look more in control of the situation.

“So, if we have Montes and Connor, then we have our goalies,” Peet said.

“I was thinking that Montes will start this season,” Gark said. “As for Connor, I have a different fate in mind. It’s time she plays some defense, like she said she’s wanted to. She even said when they were taking Holos that she’s willing to do whatever is necessary this season in order to get playing time. So I want to amend our roster a little bit. She will be our backup goalkeeper, but will also play defense. Therefore, I am going to create a new position.”

“A new position?” Peet asked incredulously.

“I’ll call it the ‘FLEX Back’,” Gark said. “We can use Connor in this role as a semi-full back who plays near the goal box. That way we can effectively get two goalies in the game at one time. We have done that a few times late in games in the Prevent Defense, and Ylesia did it a bit this season, but what if we have a goalkeeper out there who actually knows how to play defense and takes regular reps there? Then we essentially can make things easier for Montes while allowing Connor to use her ballhawking skills from goal while out in the field. That means we can add another defensive back to the roster for depth purposes, and we still have a backup goalie.”

“It’s risky, though. Losing our backup goalie to injury out in the field could make us vulnerable if Montes is hurt or ineffective. We would need an emergency goalie,” Rosa pointed out.

“I’m sure someone else on this team could fill in if necessary. Send out a call to get the players thinking about it. I’d like to hold open tryouts for the spot when we get to camp; all interested parties can apply, even forwards. We just need a third option if Connor plays some defense and is more likely to get hurt.”

“That’s doable,” Peet said. “I’ll send out the message soon.” He paused for a bit. “Flex Back, eh? Nice name.”

“And I’m sure she’ll love playing it. Gives her a chance to hit people, and yet still play near the goal box,” Gark said. “The big question here is if she can be effective after not playing defensive back regularly since her freshman year of high school.”

“Learning curve,” Rosa said.

“But something I’m sure she can handle,” Gark said. “And now we need to figure out who our next pick is.”

“Still got a long time to wait until we find out,” Peet said.

“Plenty of time, then,” Gark said with a wry grin.

IC: Eddy Beagle
    Home

Eddy watched as Connor went up to the podium to receive her jersey. He would rather be covering her story this offseason than stuck with the third-round pick, whoever that would be. It was frustrating that the team didn’t trust him to follow a higher pick. He wanted to do something of more importance, something that he would find useful. But all he could do was sit here and hope that he didn’t get a Wookiee or some other huge species to deal with, especially one with a temper.

That wouldn’t be a fun assignment.

TAG: The winner of the bidding sweepstakes, Vehn

13. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    IC: Setarcos Rhemes
    GM’s Office, Monarchs Stadium, Ryell, Rydonni Prime
    Moments before the close of the Euceron auction

As soon as the auction was officially sanctioned, and the holonet site was opened for bids, Setarcos set in motion with one goal in mind… buying his way back into the draft. Right out the gate he put up, what he felt to be an ambitious bid for a high pick. Without hesitation he tapped on the submit button and he was in the action. Almost instantly he was informed that he opening offer was accepted and currently the highest.

Not long after he received a return message that he had been outbid. He countered by raising his bid only to have it rejected. “Enough of this monkeying around, time to bring this into the big biys club.” He thought for a moment and keyed in the numbers two, then five, and finally six zeros. A smug grin spread across his face, he knew that the Monarchs were one of the few teams that could make an offer like that. With the expanded schedule they would make almost one billion credits in ticket sales alone. Add to that the concessions, merchandising, and media revenue. The Monarchs were projected to make a killing.

So long as we put a decent product on the field, as Uda Nazug constantly reminded him. So that was what he was trying to do.

But when the next message came in from the auction site it did not bare glad tidings. Instead it was a rejection notice that nearly caused Setarcos to throw his datapad against the back wall, adding to the decor. According to the automated response he had exceeded the amount allowed to raise his current bid. So he decided to play the little game to gradually increase the bid.

This went on for the better part of two months but then his bid stood as the highest for weeks. This made Setarcos nervous, and when he got nervous he started making backup plans. That was why he placed a bid on another pick. A pick that he did not want to get back, but it was far better to come away with a pick that he did not want than to come away with no pick at all.

Now, with only moments before the auction closed, his focus was on his two problem children, Cynour and Umanh. Their antics disappointed and disheartened him, as both were players that he handpicked. When the Starkillers picked up Abe in 272, Setarcos was furious. His staff did understand why he would want to pick up another goalkeeper when Mara Singus had just won the franchise’s first Salbukk Award. He saw greatness in him, a potential to be the next big thing in goal. He had no clue that becoming “Galaxy Defender” would mess him up mentally. So far gone was the great keeper that Setarcos watch develop over four years at GVSU, that even bringing him under Rhemes watchful eyes would not bring him back.

BUZZ!!! BUZZ!!! BUZZ!!!

His datapad nearly vibrated off his desk. Setarcos fumbled with bringing up the notification, but when he did his blood pressure shot through the roof. He had been out bid for his top choice. It was nearly the zero hour so he quickly placed a new bid.

That was when everything fell apart.

As he set his datapad down he received an urgent holo-conference call from Hris Helio and Uda Nazug. “Gentlemen, it’s been what, two maybe three minutes since I talked to either one of you? What could be so important that you are both calling me with a priority status?”

Almost in unison, “We have a solution to two problems..”

“Woah… one at a time.”

Uda went first, “The union has voted unanimously that both Cynour and Umanh violated team rules and are in breach of their contracts. General Council has validated and signed off on their being let go without pay. All that is needed is your seal of approval.”

Setarcos thought on it for a moment and simply stated, “Go with it.” He then turned to look at Hris, “And you?”

“We have a team wanting to buy out the Naboo Twins’ contracts.”

“Who?”

“Some new development team called the Alpheridies Veilskimmers.” Hris seemed confused but confident about the information he was giving. Setarcos on the other hand knew exactly who he was talking about and it wasn’t a new limmie team. “Their rep,” Hris continued, “a strange little man named Erik Coenig, said that they possessed a ‘special skill set’ that the Veilskimmers desired.”

It was a coded message to Setarcos that S.P.E.A.R. had a vested interest in his two lackluster draftees. He knew from the get go they were better suited to be in a lab somewhere then on the limmie pitch. The nice thing about the deal was the Monarchs would be getting paid for two players they would not have to worry about facing down the road. ”Tell Coenig, we’ll only accept the deal if they buy out the remainder of their contracts plus twenty-five percent. If he balks at it you have my authority to negotiate with a floor of five percent “

By the time everything was said and done, the Monarchs will have parted ways with two problem players, given second life to two well-meaning kids, and made an extra fifteen percent over their lifted salaries. What he did not receive was the notification that the automated auction site sent his datapad. When Helios and Nazug called him with a priority status it enacted the privacy protocol on all of his communication devices. His last bid was not accepted as it was not enough to get over the current high bidder. Feverously he entered a new number and set it off, cursing to himself. Somehow he knew he was being too conservative.

Anxious to get an answer he looked at the chronometer on his desk, 2000 Republic Standard time was the deadline for the auction. He looked at the timestamp of his bid and was instantly greeted with a response from the site, “Sorry, but the auction you are bidding in has been closed. Your previous bid of 17.5 million credits has not been accepted. Good luck and thank you for your participation.”

Once again, the Monarchs were too little, too late.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Just before the League announcement

It was mere moments before Setarcos would find out which team had bested him for Euceron’s top pick. The wildly speculative rumors buzzing around the limmie community had Ralltiir as the main contender for the top pick. Doing this would put them back into the first round, getting back what they had already traded away to Mando’ade in exchange for picks last year.

Setarcos nervously paced back and forth, juggling a bolo between his hands. “That is one thing that no one can deny you, Arco,” Romo commented from the chair he lounged in, “your hands have always been as quick as your wits.”

“Yeah, but only half as sharp.” Setarcos gave his best friend a weary wink. “Blast it all, what is taking them so long?”

“Knowing Lokensgaard, he’s busy preening in front of a mirror somewhere, getting every last precious hair precisely in place.”

“He certainly is a preener.”

Finally, after what felt like a millennium, the official seal of the Elite League along with the familiar sound of breaking news on HSN. Setarcos turned around and watched as the announcement of Euceron’s draft pick auction scrolled along the bottom of the vid-screen. “Son of a…” His final word was swallowed by the sound of the bolo in his hands being firmly implanted in his back office wall.

“You know, you should put little placards under each of those. I’m starting to lose track of who was responsible for those being added.”

“Again!” Setarcos ignored Romo and continued on his rant, “They did it again! The Smugglers! Its frakkin’ 270 all over again. Denying us, back-to-back. Even from the grave the Vehns are haunting me.” He turned off the vid screen, took a deep breath, and sat down behind his desk. “Call all the coaches. We’ve only got one pick, so let’s make it one to remember.”

TAG: Trieste and Vehn and jcgoble3

14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines
    • Monarchs Abe Cynour (GK) and Sugnok Umanh (FB) become free agents
    • Contracts of Monarchs Nabreen Nayezsh (MF) and Jalex Dwara (FF) bought out by Alpheridies Veilskimmers
    • With acquisition of Tuvaash Mauntak via draft Mando'ade Mercs end contract talks with free agent cornerback Christine Gamble
    • Mercs to play Crusaders at Mesh’la Vhetin in friendly match
    Friendlies
    November 16
    Byblos Red Wings at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    November 23
    Naboo Ducks at Bakura Miners
    Coruscant Senators at Chandrila Patriots
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Balmorra Blasters
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Ylesia Lightning
    Concordia Crusaders at Mando’ade Mercs

And now...
    REALLY IMPORTANT RULES ANNOUNCEMENT...and one other thing that doesn't need capital letters :p

After taking into consideration the feedback received from the offseason survey, non-posting teams will now have a score potential between 0 and 30 for the 279 season. This went into effect (but was not announced) on November 9 with the first friendly of the 279 season. Posting teams will continue to receive a number randomly generated between 0 and 40.

Additionally, for the 279 season, the All-Star Game will return to a conference vs. conference format. It will be held as part of Galactic Cup Final Week Events on the host world of the Galactic Cup Final, shortly after the ELL Awards Ceremony. This will give teams eliminated from the playoffs prior to the Final something they can look forward to in the last few weeks of the season and can write posts about. Understandably, players from teams participating in the Final may be less enthusiastic about this than players who are not. The ASG roster will be voted on concurrently with the season awards. The final roster will be announced with the ELL award ballot.

(Anecdotrally: when the NFL Pro Bowl did this, did I think it was a terrible idea? Yes, absolutely. However, that was real life. This is pretendy fun time games and I think that this has the potentially to be a nice enhancement to the game by giving the ASG space without requiring longer season length. Also, if either of these changes are terrible and destroy the game as we know it, I'll fix it in 280. Beauty of a cycle being built into this game. :D)

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun Tim Battershell Vehn

15. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Nar Shaddaa

The Smuggler’s Dive wasn’t the great place to meet prospective clients when it came to discussing league matters. In fact it was the kind of place that if someone wanted to disappear and never be found again they would be successful in that venture. For Lilly Vehn, the Smuggler’s Dive was her kind of joint.

She quickly made her way through the crowd and ordered a drink. She needed something strong. She needed something that would help wash away her worries.

“You seem troubled, young lady,” an old man next to her croaked.

“Who isn’t in this city?” Lilly replied.

The old man laughed, cackled more like it, and downed his drink. “One for the Smugglers.”

“Excuse me?” Lilly asked.

“Huh? Oh, I was just saying something from my youth,” the old man replied as he turned to leave. “Nevermind me, just an old man who let the drink get to him tonight.”

“My father used to say that,” Lilly said.

“Did he? Well, he must’ve been a fan of the burgundy and black,” the old man replied.

“I asked him once where he picked up that saying and he told me that he used to hear Roy Cardan speak those same words after every victory,” Lilly recalled.

“Roy Cardan. Now there’s a name I have not heard since…” the old man muttered.

“I doubt he’s still alive,” Lilly said.

“Oh, he’s still alive. Old Roy Cardan is very much alive,” the old man spoke up.

“Yeah? And how do you know that?” Lilly questioned.

“You’re speaking to him,” Roy replied with a whimsical smile.

“No frakking way? You’re Roy Cardan?”

“The one and only, I’m afraid,” Roy replied.

“You only coached for two seasons but my father said you had the potential to be great,” Lilly said.

Roy laughed and shook his head. “Great? No. Good? Yes. I’m better as a coordinator to be honest with you. The problem with head coaching is you need to master all the personalities underneath you. I was never that good. Just look at the 1-6 season I turned in during the 251 year.”

“You ever miss the game?” Lilly asked.

“All the frakking time, young lady, all the frakking time.”

“You want a job?”

Roy cocked an eyebrow in Lilly’s direction. “Do you know how old I am?”

“Old enough to know what works and what doesn’t work, I imagine.”

“Right you are, young lady, right you are.”

“You ready to come back to the burgundy and black, Roy? You ready to return to the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers?” Lilly asked.

“Depends who is asking,” Roy grumbled.

“The owner and general manager of one of the greatest franchises in the galaxy,” Lilly responded.

Roy downed another shot of something strong. He leaned in towards Lilly and spoke in that gravelly voice of his, “Book’em, Lilly. Book’em.”

Bakura

“I thought you told the media that we didn’t have the money to keep our roster intact?” Meredith asked in the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers war room.

“Smoke and mirrors, Meredith, smoke and mirrors,” Lilly replied. “I have some difficult decisions to make about our roster but that has more to do with acquiring new talent to keep us in the win column.”

“Euceorn is giving away their draft picks. If you’ve got the money I would bite to get that 7th pick in the first round. Two picks in the first round guarantees that one of them will work out,” Roy Cardan said.

“The money required would be…” Meredith started.

“Astronomical,” Lilly responded.

“You’re not seriously considering?” Meredith questioned.

“Kaitlyn was smart with her money. What it will cost us to nab that pick is nothing compared to what it will cost us if we cannot remain competitive in the long run. I’ve already submitted my offer to the Storm,” Lilly said.

“How much?” Meredith asked.

“17.5 million,” Lilly responded.

Meredith spit out her coffee. The caf went flying everywhere. Roy picked up a napkin to wipe his face off.

“The next time you want to blow your lid, do it outside!” The old man grumbled.

“You know what I could do with 17.5 million credits!” Meredith said.

“Win us another championship, or two, or three?” Lily retorted.

“We need to pick,” Shay Dionne, head scout, said steering the conversation back to business.

“Nice going, young lady, you’ve got the 7th pick of the 279 Draft,” Roy chuckled drawing a glare from Meredith .

“Where did you find that old man?” Meredith asked Lilly in a hushed tone.

“The dumpsters behind the stadium. Isn’t he great?” Lilly replied.

Meredith laughed and shook her head.

“Sound off,” Lilly instructed.

“Defense,” Meredith replied.

“Defense,” Roy added.

“Defense,” Shay chipped in.

“Very well,” Lilly responded. “I suggest we go for depth. We can move some of our reserves up to plug holes as we dump old contracts.”

“You’re good,” Roy said.

“I learned from a great mentor,” Lilly responded.

“Tullo is going to walk into free agency. We need someone back there to replace him. I suggest Dayharvest,” Meredith said.

“Not Cherf?” Roy countered.

“Don’t like the school,” Shay responded.

“Auril University has a smaller program but I bet Dayharvest would serve us well in the back six,” Lilly observed.

“I like the way he plays,” Meredith said examining tape. “He’s hungry and hits hard.”

“Good footwork,” Cardan added.

“Isn’t going to balk at the league minimum, either,” Shay pointed out.

“Let’s go get him,” Lilly said.

A few minutes later, Meredith Chambers-Vayne, wearing her old Smuggler’s jersey from her playing days much to the delight of the fans, strode out on stage and said: “With the seventh pick of the 279 Draft-“

“Whaaaaaat!” Cried out Lar Steelhead and the other drunken Smuggler fans.

“The Nar Shaddaa Smugglers select Ben Dayharvest, Half Back, Auril University.”

[​IMG]

The Smuggler contingent roared. Meredith posed for pictures with Ben Dayharvest and then pulled him aside and whispered in his ear, “You better be worth 17.5 million credits, kid.”

“I won’t let you down,” Dayharvest responded with that cocky smile of his.

“I won’t let you down.”

Tag: Rebecca_Daniels

16. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Your (Very Late) ELL All-Pro Team:
    Goalkeeper: Oss’irh’cgood (Rydonni Prime Monarchs)​
    Defender: Christine Gamble (Coruscant Senators)​
    Defender: Aley Helios (Rydonni Prime Monarchs)​
    Defender: Rhodri Gwy'nedd (Carratos Pirates)​
    Defender: Melina Havelock (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers)​
    Defender: Dev Poletin (Ralltiir Starkillers)​
    Defender: Bella Starr (Rydonni Prime Monarchs)​
    Midfielder: Alana Glencross (Bakura Miners)​
    Midfielder: Erin Windreaver (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)​
    Forward: Mylessa McCloud (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers)​
    Forward: Maximus Qorbus (Coruscant Senators)​
    Forward: Jeem Daryc (Mando'ade Mercs)​
    Forward: Niskat Deenever (Bakura Miners)​
    Forward: Leia Adama (Coruscant Senators)​
    Forward: Noj Elbog (Kuat Triforce)​
    The Analyst who made this list would also like to dedicate the "Team" award to the Euceron Storm. He also pushes for them to be inducted into the Limmie Hall of Fame in reverence to their loss.​

17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    This was a collaboration post between Trieste and myself.

Miner offices, Salis D'aar, Bakura
    One month after the end of the 278 season

Quinn Cundertol sat in his office, alone, thinking. Of course he sat alone--other people would be a distraction. He could think with other people around. Tunross had an annoying tendency to wander in and out, but ever since he'd gotten married that had diminished. Then again, usually Tunross would usually make some inadvertent comment in an offhand manner that would make everything clear to him. It was in just such a way that he'd drafted Gary Zonka (well, that and the blindness of Agamar and Rydonni Prime--many thanks for that one Setarcos).

Today, however, he did not need Tunross. Cundertol was brooding over numbers.

The Noble House of Trieste, for better or worse, clung to their insistence on financial stability. They had no stomach for funding the Miners as a vanity exercise. The general manager didn't fault them--Vandelhelm spent themselves into a hole pursuing the likes of Isabella Montador and had just one championship and two losses in the Final to show for it, plus demotion. Yore Vex Ten had five Grames nominations and no wins as a result. The Miners, with their financial controls, had three Galactic Cups in under a decade. The superior system was clear. Sometimes more credits did equal more problems.

The Triestes needed their credits. It supported their lifestyle and their historic public service. It supported at least 27 of them (he was uncertain the degree to which the Vehn-Triestes accepted their support) and with a seeming legion of university students currently among them, not to mention two Senators (one of which was going to have a very expensive reelection campaign coming up) that was not a cheap annual bill.

Wait. 28.

Cundertol had forgotten the Galactic Cup Final. Definitely going to be 28 very shortly.

The Mighty Quinn went through that tangent of thought quickly--his mental concentration needed to be focused elsewhere. The numbers he was really thinking about were the Miner salary numbers. After last season, things had stabilized. The Valerii, Hulu, Comstock, and Alesh contracts had been expectedly large to retain their serves. Ternardiel and Morlan had been appropriately jettisoned. Cundertol had even jettisoned his second round draft pick in the process of moving up--not a bad thing.

The Triestes had increased their salary cap by 20% to account for the longer schedule, so the situation stood as before. He had two slots to fill. One with a very high draft pick. But one might be able to be filled with a free agent. And there was a free agent who fit his needs. He was doing the math, working the probabilities, running the game theory. He would get that first round pick for somewhere around 1.2 million, double the League minimum salary. What that left him with was...workable.

He sprang out of his thinking chair and threw the door of his office open.

"Mrs. Hudson!" he hollered, not really caring whether she was within earshot, "Get me Christine Gamble's agent!"

Miner offices, Salis D'aar, Bakura
    One week later

It was just the three of them, face-to-face-to-face. On one side of the table, his back to the floor to ceiling transparisteel windows that showed the Bakuran capital, was the Smug Dragon. On the other side, Christine Gamble and her agent. The 278 Senators captain sitting down with the Bakura Miners to talk contract. It was a truly historic day. Unlike when Cundertol had courted Vesper Lynd, this was not being done in secrecy. Gamble wanted everyone to know--especially Gark S'rily--that she was entertaining offers. That alone made it worth it for Cundertol. Gamble being here today might raise the price that S'rily paid and make resigning his captain a more expensive task.

After everyone had taken a seat with the barest of pleasantries, Cundertol did what he usually did: he got right to the point.

"Tell me why I should replace Dalton Ward or Sutton Millard with you at greatly higher cost?" the Eriaduan asked.

Christine didn't flinch. She had been expecting this question, or at least one like it, since she had agreed to talk with Cundertol about contract terms. It had been the first question on any Free Agent's list of queries to know; her agent had filled her in on the details prior to this session. So she felt prepared to take whatever came at her, because this was about a contract, not about the past. Prior to the last few weeks of the season, she would have thought she was crazy for being here, but that was the nature of the beast. If she had to move on, so be it. Ava wouldn't like it, but this was a business.

"If you haven't noticed, I was just nominated for the Salbukk Award, and won the Comeback Player of the Year award. Players like myself don't become free agents very often. We both know that. Besides, your defense was . . . less than spectacular . . . against the Monarchs in the Conference Final. It looks like your current options weren't up to the task."

"In your opinion, how is playing corner back different from half back?" Cundertol probed.

"Everything is different," Christine said. "In my experience, the half backs always have someone to back them up, namely the full back. They can get away with taking more risks in the middle of the field. But on the corner, you have no one to save you from making a mistake. If you're in one-on-one, someone can juke you out of your shoes, and then go score a goal on your watch. Besides, lots of corner forwards are talented; can't always say the same about half forwards. They go a credit a dozen in some cases; corners are usually a little more trigger-happy. I should know, I played four years with Maximus Qorbus."

The hint of a smile that Cundertol gave at that last part showed he was well aware of the Nautolan's tendencies. "You are, at least last I heard, still the captain of the Senators. Why do you want to leave?" It didn't need to be said that a team captain shopping her services was like someone had blown up Alderaan again--it sent a very big message. Of course, what that message was wasn't exactly clear. Cundertol wanted to hear Gamble say it herself.

"Truth be told, I would like to stay with the Senators if they are willing to pay me. I have friends there, players I've been with for three or four years with now. But it's gotten to the point where I'm sick of losing games. We lost our last few this past season when the wheels came off. I will put it to you straight that I don't know if that team can do any more next year than they did this season. Yes there is a lot of talent, but I still get anxious thinking about how things can go horribly wrong if parts don't click. The Miners don't have that problem."

Cundertol nodded, but said nothing for a moment. "In one breath you say that you want money, but in another you say it's about winning. Which is more important?"

"That's the catch, isn't it?" Christine asked. "Which pitch are you going to use on me first to try and convince me to sign with the Miners?"

"Miss Gamble," Cundertol said, "That's where you're too clever by half. There is no first and second pitch. There is only one pitch. And that pitch is that the Miners are here to compete. We are not here to offer you a contract beyond your wildest dreaming. We are here to offer you a two year, four million credit contract, which is in line with our budget. That is not the number you wanted to hear, but it is the number that puts you on the Miners starting line up in 279.

"Before the 276 season started, Vesper Lynd got the opportunity to join the Miners when her contract with the Monarchs ended. I told her that she could play and have a chance to win the Galactic Cup of Limmie. We would not pay her what she wanted, but she would have an opportunity for glory. She stayed on Rydonni Prime and got the credits she wanted. For that, she's lost two Galactic Cup Finals. If she had taken my offer, her name would be on the Galactic Cup right now.

"So the 'pitch' is this: you come here if you want to win, not if you want the credits."

"You run a tough bargain," Christine said. She was dismayed that it was coming to her straight like this, but she obviously had no other choice. Yes the Miners were winners, but two million per season? She bet that the top pick in this year's Draft would probably make that much, maybe more. She wasn't completely in it for the money, but which was most important to her, money or winning?

"I'll consider it," she said. "Nice talking to you."

TAG: No One, although it may be your last chance to convince me to let Christine sign with your team ;)

18. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    GM re-approved

Name: Zoa Vra
    Species: Zabrak
    Birth year: 245
    Physical appearance:
    [​IMG]
    Home world: Iridonia
    Relation to Team: Team Captain, Player
    Brief Biography: Zoa grew up on Iridonia, the middle child amongst four other siblings. As such she was the attention seeker, never happy with her position in the family, never happy with being stuck on the planet when there were thousands of worlds she could be exploring. As she grew older, she took out her frustration on her opponents in Limmie, and what started out as an outlet for her anger became a passion, one that bought her a ticket off her boring planet to a college team. There, however, she discovered that most of the players were human - not just on her team, but on their opponents' teams, even in certain parts of the Elite League. After four years of it, Zoa was ready to go back to Iridonia, where at least she could escape the human centrism, but instead she received an offer from the General Manager of a lower-tier team who was looking to see if she and other non-humans were interested in signing with her all-alien team. Zoa barely thought about it, and signed on as soon as she could. The team was a tough bunch, all of them as frustrated as she or more so at being overlooked as athletes, and their adversity was their bond. It wasn't the easiest team to be a part of, as it was difficult to get the best training or players without giving into signing humans, but the GM kept her word and removed all the humans in the organisation. Slowly and surely, though, they proved their worth and worked their way up the rankings, and Zoa worked her way up the team, earning the Captaincy for her work ethic and leadership. Since the team's promotion to the Elite League, she and her teammates have grown more understanding of having humans on the roster, especially after the GM that brought them together turned out to be using them for criminal enterprises. But at nearly 35, Zoa's starting to realise that her time is running out to make a further impact on the league, and her window to win a second Galactic Cup closing.

------

IC: Zoa Vra
    Draft day

It was strange watching the draft from the floor, watching the teams at work as their picks drew near. The Lightning's management were off preparing for their pick somewhere, and Zoa was just there to await the call: they'd asked her to be the one to announce it. Personally, she put little stock in draft rankings. Maybe the interview processes could weed out the good from the bad, but it was time that showed a player's character so she didn't pretend to know how to spot them at this stage. Half of the original Lightning team, the one that had been promoted six seasons ago, had never been drafted. Others had their chance and blew it. Some just weren't that good, just along for the ride to the championship; most of them didn't last after promotion.

Her Cup ring was back home on Ylesia, hidden away with the ring from their GCLA championship the season before that. It was a long time ago, a long time since they'd managed that feat. Now they were a team past their prime, and with constant flux in this league, if things didn't start looking up they'd find themselves fighting for a different cup.

Though she said nothing, Zoa worried that the team was stuck in the past. Maybe it was time to give up the Captaincy to someone younger, more suited to the position. She wasn't much of a mentor, better suited to running down players twice her size and not expecting her strength. And there were others on the team that were getting older as well; how could they keep up with some of these younger teams?

At least Kasin was still around, sending her messages constantly while she was away. They'd be back together soon enough, though more troubles loomed on the horizon: Kasin's contract was up next year, and she wasn't sure about staying. It wouldn't be the same team without her, though, and Zoa just had to spend the next year convincing her to stay. She was hoping it wouldn't be too hard, since they were continuing their living situation from last year as roommates. Kasin still didn't like staying on her own.

Which was why all the messages. Another sad looking message came in, continuing Kasin's disappointment that the Senators had taken Sarah Connor; apparently Kasin liked her play. But the Smugglers were up, taking the Storm's place in a bizarre, if unfortunate, turn of events, and that meant that she'd have to go up there soon. And talk. And smile. And pretend to want to be there.

The Smugglers took Dayharvest not too much later, and Zoa waited for the call. And waited. She'd already told them who she liked, but assumed there were other factors at work. After all, she'd heard rumours that the Lightning hadn't been at all involved in the bid for the Storm picks, which seemed unusual considering their Hutt owner's deep pockets. Mirik Chal was the woman with the plan, and Zoa just had to react, not second-guess.

Her datapad beeped as a runner from the Lightning war room rushed over. "Jersey," the man huffed, handing it to her. "Name's on your datapad. Don't say it wrong."

And so ended the extent of her preparation for the stage. No further instructions? Just an errand boy giving orders? Well then.

She took a long look at her datapad before heading to the stage. Feeling that a smile would turn out more like a grimace, she didn't even try.

"The Ylesia Lightning select Guido Forkes, Full Forward, University of Agamar."

The Rodian hurried up to the stage and thanked her for being so welcoming as he pulled the jersey on. Likely he'd have preferred to go to the Packers, but it seemed they had other priorities.

As the Starkillers were put on the clock, they stepped aside for holos. Only Force-knew how many more hours of this, Zoa sighed to herself as she greeted Forkes' family, attempting to be pleasant.

TAG: Runjedirun

19. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Ty Allin

When Trey asked me to come to the draft with him I was excited. Then I found out that Richard had arranged for Bat to fly in to Ralltiir and provide us all transportation to the draft. To put it mildly I was furious with Bartholomew Vigo. After all the favors I had done for him he had meddled with the Starkillers chances to win games last season. He had left messages on my data pad several times over the past several months. I had deleted them all without even listening to them. Knowing that a confrontation was now inevitable I arranged to pick him and his family up at the spaceport when they arrived.

I was studying Bat closely as the ramp to his ship came down that afternoon. It was the only reason I caught the short lapse in his composure before he led his wife down to greet me. “You must have lost a round of Sabacc,” Bat commented when he reached the bottom of the ramp.

“I volunteered to come. I was hoping we could talk before the draft and before the rest of your family was around to hear what I have to say.”

“Georgia was craving a sandwich at the shop two blocks from here. Why don’t you go get that now?” He asked turning her way. Acknowledging the hint Georgia nodded as she hugged Serene tightly and turned to go. “We’ll catch up to you in a few minutes,” he promised as she disappeared into the crowd on the busy street.

“Come on board,” Bat invited. I followed him into the ship. Everything inside still smelled new. The paint, the carpet, even the furnishings had probably all been completed only days before this journey. We took a seat in a common area in the middle of the ship. “Look,” he began. “I know that saying I’m sorry doesn’t make up for last season. I was getting back at my brother for all those years that he over achieved at everything. I didn’t believe I could win without Kaat. She’s going to be a great keeper for the Starkillers next season. You need to give her another chance.”

“This isn’t about Kaat,” I actually liked Kaat, and hoped she would get another chance with our squad. “This is about us. I took you in as my own little brother and you stabbed me in the back.”

“I didn’t do this to hurt anyone,” Bat insisted. “I wanted a win. Is there something, anything, I can do to make this up to you? I hate for you to be angry with me. Besides we have a draft to think about.”

“Stay out of the draft,” I replied coldly. “And talk to your brother, tell him to stay out of the decision making process as well. Trey, Reeser and I have specific players we want. I know your family paid for those picks, but you’re not on the field on game day. We are and we have a right to decide who we want to work with.”

“You got it,” he allowed. “Let’s go have a sandwich with Georgia I don’t want her to worry.”

“Not so fast,” I said putting my hand on his chest to keep him from rising to his feet. “There’s one more thing I want to know. How are you paying for all this?” I said referring to the ship. “I thought Richard docked your pay by half.”

“I can’t tell you yet, but I have plan.” I looked at him skeptically. “Don’t worry this plan is well thought out, no one gets hurt in the process. I’d tell you, but you would tell Lucie and Lucie would tell Richard. Before we knew it the Rumor Mill would report it to the whole Galaxy. I want this to be a surprise.”

“If you or your brother meddles with the draft,” I warned. “I’ll find out what it is you are up to and I’ll leak it to every news source I know.”

“Don’t worry, I can handle Richard,” he said confidently. “I’m starved, let’s get sandwiches.” We met Georgia and Serene at the sandwich shop a few minutes later. After eating a sandwich I dropped them off at his mother’s house before rushing home to spend a few hours with Lucie and T.J. before we had to leave for Bakura.

The trip to Bakura was spent watching hours of college Limmie footage. Trey, Reeser and I had prospects in mind but with such a late first round pick it was difficult to know who would still be available. Richard had quickly pulled out of the bidding for the 7th overall pick and settled for the 9th which had cost him less. Allowing for funds to be available for any last minute complications with the stadium build and enabling him to preserve his relationship with his mother.

We needed a good back up forward. Most mock drafts predicted we would take Nikkola in the second round. She would be a very predictable pick up for our squad and while she wasn’t a bad choice there were other options we were considering. Loryyk Fey’limm could fall to the 9th overall pick and she would fit into our system nicely. There was also Kal’cr’ltenk to consider. He had won the Lombardee award for a reason after all. “We might get our choice this draft,” Trey commented. “Last year everyone was going after forwards in the first round. I have a feeling this year defenders will be the first to go.”

Since we had three picks we also watched tape on defenders. By the time we finally decided to break and get some sleep I was developing a headache from all the scenarios we had considered. When we landed on Bakura we headed straight for the Garland Theatre where the draft was being held. We were lead to a conference room of sorts. Mrs. Vigo took a seat at the head of the table, Bat sat next to his mother and Richard sat next to Bat. Trey also took a seat next to Mrs. Vigo. Reeser sat next to him, I took the seat on the other side of Reeser. “This is your night coach Till,” Mrs. Vigo informed. “Good luck.”

We ordered food, shortly after the food arrived Lokensgaard took the stage.

Welcome, welcome to the 279 Elite League Limmie Draft! Let’s deal with the bantha in the hall tonight--the Elite League has had some rough times recently. From Euceron, to Nar Shaddaa, to Ralltiir...every time we have picked ourselves up, we have been knocked down again.”

“But that,” Fenrir said, punctuating the silence, “is the game of limmie. You get brought down and you get up every time. That is what gives us the opportunity for greatness. That is the spirit that lives inside the soul of every player, every fan. That is why we are here tonight.”

I’m not sure what commissioner Lokensgaard had meant to say. Thank goodness we were behind the scenes in a private room. The statement was not received well by the Vigos. Richard gave a single finger salute at the holo screen that was projecting Lokensgaard’s image. “It’s got nothing to do with the game of Limmie,” Bat retorted with a roll of his eyes. “Limmie is supposed to be a diversion from the shavit that goes on in this Galaxy. He should just admit that the league learned nothing after our father died. They allowed more tragedies to occur.”

“It’s cost us a fortune in security for the new stadium,” Richard agreed. “But at least we did learn from it. At least we will get it right. No one and I mean no one will be put in harm’s way while attending an event at Financial Square.”

Trey reached out and held Mrs. Vigo’s hand for support. “I’ve seen the system your son’s designed. The citizens of Ralltiir could not be safer,” he assured.

Finally the draft began Carratos was on the clock. There was excitement in the air. Anticipation began to build throughout the entire hall. When the commissioner took the stage to announce the first overall pick I felt a little like I did on game day. Except today we had 8 opponents not just one. All of us trying to snag the best player for our system. I had experienced minor adrenaline rush in the past while watching the draft at home. This year I was a part of the decision making process, I could actually feel my heart beat begin to race. The announcement was made Carratos picked Mikia Sandin.

We hadn’t really looked at half backs so I relaxed a bit. I looked around the room. Trey appeared cool and confident, but I knew he had to be a bit disappointed that his nephew had been overlooked as the best half back available. Bakura took Kettin Hervey with the second pick, Trey continued to show no emotion. The Mercs were up next. I watched to see if Richard’s facial expression would waiver at all when they made the third pick. The pick could have been ours if he hadn’t traded it away a year ago. Richard didn’t allow his concern to show if he had any. Meanwhile Mando’ade picked up the Helmsman winner and a Full Forward.

Next up was Agamar. They chose a keeper. There were 5 keepers between our Roster and Tatooine’s. Coruscant also chose a keeper. I couldn’t believe it two picks in a row on players that we hadn’t even bothered to watch tape on. This was a nice change of events. I dared to wish that Nar Shadda and the Lightning would have a sudden need for midfielders.

Of course that wasn’t meant to be Nar Shadda drafted Ben Dayhrvest. I began to feel bad for Noah Till. The Storm had drafted Jordan Horste from Ralltiir U in the first round last year. I knew the Till’s had hoped for a similar result for Noah. Well a similar result in draft stock, certainly not to suffer the same fate that Jordan had at season’s end. Next the Lightning took Guido Forkes. That hurt, I had been hopeful we could have snagged him.

There were still a couple of prospects available on offense that we were interested in now we had to decide if we went with one of those or if we went with a defender since they had been picked so thin already. Trey, Reeser and I huddled up. “Stick with the plan?” Trey asked looking towards Reeser.

“There are only 3 picks between this pick and our next pick,” Reeser reminded us. “There will still be defenders on the board.”

I had already set my mind on taking a forward in this round. “You were so confident a few hours ago on the ship,” I reminded Trey.

“You're right,” he said letting a smile escape. “I knew I brought you on the trip for a reason Allin.”

We broke the huddle and Trey quickly wrote down a name and handed the flimsi to Mrs. Vigo. She didn’t even bother to read the name before she left the room to head down to the stage.

She appeared on the holo moments later. “With the 9th pick in the 279 draft the Ralltiir Starkillers select Kal'cre'ltenk Half Forward, Sarvchi Technological University.”

The Chiss stood quickly and made his way up to the stage. He smiled confidently as he accepted his jersey and shook hands with Mrs. Vigo.

Tag: Vehn

20. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    Made in collaboration with Jedi Gunny

IC: Schintt Polenta
    Ord Sabaok,

Schnitt adjusted his pocket square again and combed his fingers though his hair. This was important everything had to be perfect. The Pirates made a poor showing their first year due to anemic offense and a weak defense, this negotiation could solve the latter problem.

“Geez boss,” Syrnola said walking up behind him. “You’re asking her to join your limmie team not out on a date.”

“Every little bit counts” He retorted striating his jacket, “we don’t have much going for us, Bakura and Nar Shradaa both have multiple Galactic Cups under their belts and the Merc’s bring a certain gravitas to the table.”

“And we don’t?”

The owner waved his hand, “The Pirates and Carratos in general have a different feel than Mandalore. The bucketheads are all honor this and pride that, Carratosians are all about the quick cred.”

“You’re not leading with that pitch are you?”

“Sith no, she’s been there twice. I think she has a good idea of how the planet works. What I plan to focus on is that she could help us win our first Galactic Cup in franchise history and only a few years after joining the league. She could make history.”

“You think she won’t be in the Hall of Fame?”

“Well no, she could make it to the Hall of Fame without us but, anyone can be in the Hall of Fame, it’s rare few that can make limmie history.”

“You’re also forgetting about the Alsakan Flyers of ’63, new team won the GC in their second year in the league”

“And two years after they were gone, we have staying power. We just survived demotion on the strength of our market alone. If we can get her on our team that will lend a huge boost in name recognition and if she can get us some wins we’ll have no problems keeping Goss-Pell at capacity.”

“That’s if she can produce, she has been pretty hot and cold in the past.”

“She’s just hitting her stride now, now is the time to get her.” Schnitt centered his tie and turned to his assistant. “Ready to go?”

“As we’ll ever be.” The Twi’lek replies

Athletic Department, Ord Sabaok University

Shcnitt rose to greet the player that entered the conference room.

“Good morning Ms. Gamble, how are you?”

"I'm doing fine today, thank you," Christine said as she entered the room with her agent in tow. She was looking at a Balosar and a very tough-looking Twi'lek. Obviously they did things differently on Carratos; the rough-and-tumble kind was represented by these two. If they got their team to play half as tough as they looked, they were a worthy squad.

She was here on her homeworld visiting family and friends after the season. Everyone wanted to know where she was signing to play next year, and she truthfully told them all that she didn't quite know. The Pirates had asked to talk to her about a contract, so she had decided to meet them here. It was the conference room of her alma mater, The Ord Sabaok University. It was where she had dominated as a StarBuck, and had strong ties to the area. If the college season and the Elite League season didn't line up like they always did, then she would make sure to get back here for at least one game a year. But that was an impossibility, so this visit had to suffice. She just hoped that the GCAA wouldn't throw a fit that she was here, because she was "swaying recruits" by just being around. That was a load of crap. She was here visiting her old college, and that was that. She hadn't talked to any recruits; in fact, she was the one being recruited.

She sat down in one of the chairs, and her agent did the same.

“I’m glad you took time out of your day to meet with us.” He interlaced his fingers “My first question for you is, what are you looking to gain with all this negotiating, other than frequent flier parsecs.” Frequent flier? Christine hadn't thought of that, to be honest. She would have to look into it. Her card company likely had some sort of perks like that on it, but if it did, she had never looked into it.

"I'm looking for the best deal available so that I can continue my career in the Elite League."

Schnitt shrugged his shoulders, now the fun begins, “You want a deal, I’ll make you a deal, how about we start at 12.5 million credits over five years.”

Whoa, slow down there," Christine said. "Can I ask you a question before we jump to specifics? Why would I want to sign with Carratos? What can I get there that I can't find on Bakura, Nar Shaddaa, or Coruscant?"

The Balosar raised an eyebrow. “Well Ms. Gamble what Carratos can offer is something new for you and the team. Have you ever won a team its first ever Galactic Cup? Have you ever imagined that your first Galactic Cup would be your team’s first Galactic Cup? If you stay with the Senators or go with the Smugglers or Miners, you won’t get that.” he paused for a moment and tilted his head, “Sure you may win the GC but, the Smugglers won it this year, the Miners have won it three times in the past decade, and the Senators in ‘62 and ’68 in recent memory, but the Pirates, half the galaxy couldn’t find them on a map until this year, we have no history in this league. You have the opportunity to help build a team’s history to be a legend on Carratos, to have parks and stadiums named after you, to have you name remembered for long after you’ve stopped playing limmie. If that’s not an exciting prospect I don’t know what is.”

"That is indeed a good pitch," Christine said. She wanted to be remembered, wanted to have her name out there in the popular culture. After all, she had pretty much been forgotten in 277, but of course everyone on the Senators was basically a nobody back then. "But I'm not sold on Carratos itself. I don't know, gambling was never my thing, even though it's my name. There's a lot of stuff to do on Coruscant. I have friends on that team. It would be hard to move on, really. What can Carratos itself offer me? What are your fans like? I know something from that one game last year, and the All-Star Game, but do you sell out your home games? How loyal are the fans? Will the defense be improved this next season?"

Schnitt leaned back in his chair, this would be a challenge, try and make a hive of scum and villainy sound better than the center of the galaxy.

“You are looking at every angle, just what I like to see in a person. Gambling is a large part of what we do on Carratos but, it’s not the only thing. O’pahz itself, where you’ll be spending most of your time on planet, has many bars, nightclubs, and holo-theaters in which to spend your nighttime hours, restaurants and food speeders offering flavor combinations I’ve never even thought of or seen before and a thriving music scene tying it all together. The fans are as loyal as Patriot Nation and will scream their hearts out at home games. Attendance has been mixed since our joining the ELL with sellout crowds against the Monarchs and your Senators but, noticeably less so against the Storm and the Packers. If we can get some wins under our belts early, they will come flooding back much like the fans on Coruscant did this season.” He rubbed his hands, “Now to the question of defense, you already know that Eponette Ternardiel has decided to join us, and the draft looks stocked with good defenders. Not to mention that our starters have toughened up over the course the season, dramatically shutting down the Mercs in our last game. “

An improved defense? That's what Christine wanted to hear. Ternardiel wasn't exactly the best defensive back in her opinion (of course she was biased towards herself), but she definitely brought experience to the Pirates. Yet she still blamed the full back for playing dirty to beat the Senators in 276 to rob them of a playoff spot; all those fouls had cost the Coruscanti offense, and it had put another chip in the grudge match between that team and the corner back. But now the full back was no longer with the Miners; could she and Christine co-exist, especially in a new clime such as this?

And fans. Of course he had brought up the exodus of Senator fans in 277. That was still a sore spot for her. So to hear that Carratos would have fans show up at every game, that was something.

Still, one question remained:

"Will the Pirates make the postseason next year if I sign?" The Balosar leaned forward, this was the home stretch.

"Ms. Gamble with you on our team I wouldn't bet against it."

"That's what I like to hear," Christine said with no hesitation. "So what are you offering for a contract? I won't commit today, but I am definitely intrigued."

“Well like I said, we’re prepared to offer 12.5 million over five years, and are willing to negotiate on the salary.”

"That is a very reasonable offer," Christine commented. She was very intrigued by this offer; it was indeed a long-term deal, with plenty of money behind it. "I will definitely keep it in mind. Thank you for setting this meeting up."

“Thank you for meeting with us.” Schnitt rose and shook the defender’s hand and then her agent’s. After the two beings left the room Synrola turned to Schnitt.

“That went well.” She said.

“Yeah,” he replied a little bit of disappointment in his voice, “but we didn’t lock her in so, don’t start the party just yet.”

“I’ll cancel the catering.”

“Thanks,” he said with a smile, “how are we for time?”

“We look good boss, are shuttle for Bakura departs in an hour.”

“Right, lets go draft some newbies.”
    TAG: Jedi Gunny

21. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Bakura

The main comm. line in the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers war room chirped. Lilly picked up the phone and said, “Hello?”

The conversation that followed was tense. It was borderline nasty. It was just another common exchange between the Mando’ade Mercs and the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers: two teams who really, really, hated one another.
    Lilly hung up.

“What did they want?” Meredith asked.

“Our last pick in the first round,” Lilly replied.

“And?” Roy inquired as he puffed away on a cigar.

“You mind putting that out?” Meredith said.

“Oh this?” Roy replied, eyed up the cigar, and then after a moment’s contemplation flicked a few ashes in her direction.

“That’s it. Lilly, I want to take this man out back and beat the living-“

“Bring it on, goalie!” Roy thundered shaking a scrawny, age spotted fist in Meredith’s direction. “I’ll punch you harder than your husband ever did in the game!”

Meredith snarled but was restrained by Lilly who laughed the entire time. “You two are going to be best friends, I can tell. Now, back to the pick.”

“Who were you thinking?” Meredith asked.

“Anna Konder,” Lilly replied.

“Another defensive selection. I like your style,” Roy said.

“Are we agreed?” Lilly asked her small but lovable staff.

“Agreed,” came a chorus of voices.

Moments later, Anna Konder, Full Back from the University of Agamar, was a Nar Shaddaa Smuggler.

[​IMG]

Where or how she would ever crack the Smugglers deep defensive roster was a mystery but Lilly liked her presence from the start.

Tag: Bardan_Jusik;Trieste

22. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post
    Garland Theatre, Cape Suzette, Bakura

"And with that," Lokensgaard said once the Smugglers had left the podium, "we conclude the first rounds." The fans cheered--even though this meant one of the most exciting parts of the Draft was over.

"Before we begin the second round, let's talk about something I know all of you have just been dying to hear about: me!" Lokensgaard exclaimed.

"As you know, I like to get out and see limmie games with all of you throughout the season. Though it's unfortunate that Euceron will not be a travel destination for me this season, it does mean I can visit every Elite League stadium in the regular season--and this is how I'm going to do it..."

On the giant vidscreens set up in the theatre, the following schedule appeared:

Week 1: Bakura Miners at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Week 2: Euceron Storm at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    Week 3: Mando’ade Mercs at Coruscant Senators
    Week 4: Agamar Packers at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers
    Week 5: Euceron Storm at Carratos Pirates
    Week 6: Carratos Pirates at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Week 7: Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Bakura Miners
    Week 8: Coruscant Senators at Agamar Packers
    Week 9: Carratos Pirates at Denon Demons
    Week 10: Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Mando’ade Mercs
    Week 11: Ralltiir Starkillers at Ylesia Lightning

"I'll start at the new Starkillers' stadium--that'll be exciting," Lokensgaard said, "Then a rematch of the Skywalker Conference Final--should be fierce. A little battle for a certain Bloody Bucket next. Then off to see how things are going in the Consortium. I'll get to experience everything that Carratos has to offer and then head with the Pirates out to Rydonni Prime for what promises to be a smashing rematch of the Pirates' very first win in the Elite League. Then back here to Bakura--" the large number of Miner fans cheered, "--for the Black & Blue Battle. I'm sure that after a season off that'll be fierce. All the way out to Agamar once more, then all the way down to Denon for my first trip there as ELL Commissioner. Then all the way back to Mandalore--" "Oya! Oya! Oya!" "--I'm really racking up the frequent flier parsecs, aren't I?--before finishing with one of the best rivalries in the Elite League, the Battle for the Sky. As for playoffs...well, we'll deal with them a little later!

"And yes, before you ask, I am seeing Carratos three times. You may accuse me of playing favorites, but I do think they're a team to watch.

"So, now that we've got that out of the way, let the second round begin! The Carratos Pirates are on the clock!"

This is the part of the Draft where we move to PM portion. Please PM me your draft picks. Ideally, you should give me a few different players for each pick to help move this along. I like to try to aggregate the draft picks so I can announce them all at once. You are allowed to wait and see who has picked whom, but the intention behind this format is to move along quicker and to complete the Draft sooner. Give that we are essentially a little over a day ahead of schedule, I'd like to complete the second round by November 16 if we can. :)

Vehn, Jedi Gunny, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Christine Gamble
    Home

Christine sat on the sofa, watching a really bad Holo on the screen. The show wasn’t important; what was important was in her head. She had a major conundrum on hand: where to sign for the upcoming Limmie season, and likely where she could finish her career if the team liked her enough. It was a major decision, one that the player with four years of experience knew would be huge.

Here she was, an All-Star corner with four such bids to her name. She was the quintessential shutdown corner back, the unquestioned leader of an improving defense. Team captain for parts of two seasons sat on her list of accomplishments, but at this point that didn’t matter. If she signed with the Senators, thereby dedicating herself to continuing to grow the program, then she would likely retain that honor. If she signed elsewhere, she wouldn’t be captain most likely. The Mercs had Mor’kesh, the Miners Glencross, the Smugglers Leed. Carratos might make her captain if she signed with them, but she doubted it. That would take much responsibility off her chest, and she could go out and play Limmie. That was all she had ever wanted, to be in control of her own destiny.

She had talked to the Miners recently. They had given her many things to think about on a contract. Cundertol, despite how much she disliked him, had a good point. The Miners were a team that won games. They had a structure that didn’t quit, a dedicated owner that literally oversaw all daily team activities by participating in them, and a coaching staff that hadn’t done anything but win the last five years. It was hard to argue that success. It drew her in, beckoned to her, made her feel like she would instantly be on the fast track to a title if she signed the dotted line.

What about the Smugglers? They likely didn’t need her. Three championships in the past nine years, including this past season, spoke for itself. They had unquestioned stars all over the field, had nothing but the best. Perhaps they were even better than the Miners, because they had more guts. The Miners wouldn’t have survived if their head coach and GM had been killed. But the Smugglers had; in fact, they had defied all the odds and punched their way to victory in the Final. They were the best team in the League for good reason.

The Mercs were more of a question mark. They had talent, but sometimes didn’t use it. All she had heard about last season was how the Mercs were seemingly shooting themselves in the foot with locker room scuffles. It didn’t make for the most conducive atmosphere to win. She didn’t like the prospect of the fans either. But she had to admit that the Mercs would pay for her services. Their style of play was to her liking, reckless yet smart. A major chip on the shoulder. That was what defenders needed, because you could never take a play off.

What about Carratos? They were building their defense around new pieces, and if she signed there she would be adding another significant piece to their project. They had offered her quite a bit, hoping that they could cash in on her skills. It was a very tempting offer, but she hadn’t decided just yet.

And what about Coruscant? The Senators had drafted her, developed her, given her the captaincy. She had developed alongside many of the players who now started. They had come off a good season, cut short by a lack of offense. But was that just a fluke in the sinking of the Senators to the bottom echelon of the league? Was it a sign of things to come? Was it a smart business decision if she wanted a title to stay with the only team she had ever known and hope that enough was done to keep building towards a Cup Final? Yes they had new pieces in Becki Morlan and Camille Montes, but would they be enough to prevent another frustrating collapse?

She had a meeting with the Senators the next day to try and hash out a contract. They had about as good a shot as any team at retaining her. The only question in her mind was how much they wanted to keep her.

The Next Day

“Take a seat, Ms. Gamble,” Gark S’rily said to her. Christine sat down across the table from the Bothan GM, her agent in the room with her. However, she immediately noticed the fourth person in the room with them. Ava Killenger, her friend and roommate, was there with S’rily.

“I don’t think it’s fair to bring another player to contract discussions . . .” her agent said.

“It’s all fair game,” S’rily said. “Nothing in the rules of decency says I can’t bring a team member along to contract negotiations with a free agent.”

“What do you have for me?” Christine asked.

“We would very much like to keep you with the Senators,” S’rily said. “That’s why we’re offering you a four-year deal worth around 4 million per season, which would be quite a pay increase from your rookie deal.”

“My client prefers a six-year deal,” Christine’s agent rebutted. “Worth five mil a year.”

“30 million over six seasons? Sounds like superstar money,” S’rily remarked.

“Superstar money for a superstar,” the agent said. “Fair compensation for what Christine has done for the team recently.”

“In my opinion, that’s too high,” S’rily said icily. “Because I remember when in 277 Ms. Gamble wasn’t worth anywhere near 5 mil a year.”

“She had a banner contract year, so she deserves to be paid like the star she is. Four All-Star appearances . . .”

“Didn’t even show up to play in one of them,” S’rily scoffed.

“That’s not important,” Christine’s agent said. “Really, though, if you aren’t willing to budge from four years, we don’t have much to discuss . . .”

“I’ll bring in Ms. Killenger to help my pitch,” S’rily said, motioning to the forward.

“Christine, I know the season didn’t end well, but I know that if you re-sign with us, we can take it to a whole different level this year,” she said. “We have the pieces, but without you we’ve got nothing.”

“Ava, it’s not just about that playoff loss,” Christine said. “That winless season still haunts me. It hurt to lose all those games, to be thought of as mud. I want to go to a team that really appreciates my talent, and can win games.”

“We were second in the league in scoring defense this year,” Ava shot back. “That’s pretty good.”

“But can we win this year even if I re-sign?” Christine asked. “Basically, what I’m asking is why I should sign here. The Miners are willing to sign me; they’ll win a title next season, or at least make a good run for it. Carratos has a great offer lined up. What guarantees me that here?”

“You’ll just have to trust in my ability to build a team,” S’rily said. “I know it’s not the answer you’re probably wanting, but it’s the truth. We’re building something here, and we need you as our cornerstone piece. Don’t walk out on us now.”

“I’m prepared to do what I have to,” Christine said bluntly.

“And that means taking more money from the Miners, right?” Ava asked.

“I didn’t necessarily say that,” Christine said, backing up a little, but Ava wasn’t buying it.

“Look at you. You turned your back on me when I got caught on that drug test. I’ll never forget how you just ignored me when I needed a friend to get me through the hard times. You know something, I fought through it. I got here because of my own damn sweat and tears, but also because you helped me when I got back to the league. And now you’re turning your back on me again to sign with the Miners . . . I thought you hated them. I thought that you wouldn’t sign with the Miners in a million years . . .”

“Ava, it’s not that . . .”

“I don’t care anymore. If you’re going to turn your back on me again, I don’t need you as a friend.” There was a pause. “Take care of yourself, Christine,” Ava then said bitterly. “I guess that’s what you’re best at, isn’t it?” This was said with a poisonous tone, one of a friend jilted by another. She then left the room in a huff. Christine sat there in stony silence. She hadn’t expected that kind of response.

“Well, Ms. Gamble . . . I need an answer . . .?” S’rily asked.

Now it was decision-time for Christine Gamble. She looked at the Bothan GM, and then at her agent. If she stayed with the team, she would lose her chance to join the Miners or Smugglers and likely win a title. If she left, then Ava would never speak to her again. A bead of sweat rolled down the back of her neck, and her breathing increased.

What was she going to do?

TAG: No One

Rebecca_Daniels, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

"With the eleventh overall selection, the Carratos Pirates select Gorgalan Irukandji, Center Half Forward, Norand University of Carratos," Commissioner Lokensgaard announced.

"With the twelfth overall selection, the Ylesia Lightning select Mark Meeks, Corner Back, The Ord Saboak University." He purposefully did not emphasize "The" in the name, which would no doubt upset the OSU faithful.

"With the thirteenth overall selection, the Ralltiir Starkillers select Noah Till, Center Half Back, University of Ralltiir.

"With the fourteenth overall selection, the Mando'ade Mercs select Yeorg Niktel, Half Forward, Bakura Fleet Academy." This got cheers out of the hometown crowd as well as Merc fans as this was the first Bak10 player taken. The Fleet Academy was not too distant from Cape Suzette, comparatively speaking, and their supporters were on hand hoping that Niktel, whose draft stock had fallen precipitously over the course of the season, might get the good news--and their faith had been rewarded.

"The Agamar Packers are now on the clock."

TAG: Bardan_Jusik galactic-vagabond422 Jedi Gunny Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun Tim Battershell Vehn

25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

"With the fifteenth overall selection, the Agamar Packers select Thuwacca, Full Back, University of Kashyyyk," Lokensgaard announced.

"With the sixteenth overall pick, the Coruscant Senators select Loryyk Fey'limm, Half Forward, University of Tatooine, Anchorhead.

"The Ralltiir Starkillers are now on the clock."

TAG: Tim Battershell Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Rebecca_Daniels Bardan_Jusik Vehn

Tim Battershell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.