main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph For Justice, For Peace, For the Future- We Have Come Home: Babylon 5 (The Road Home animated film)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 3, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I could have sworn, SWORN, that I saw first season Delenn when that scene first aired *makes note to ask JMS if she ever comes across him*

About Andreas :_| First, Steven, now G'Kar :_| It's not fair! Their too young to start dying off!:_|

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    JMS has commented on it. Andreas seems like quite the character- "Now that I'm dying I've never felt better!"

That dinner JMS speaks about reminds me very much of Sleeping in Light.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Oh my God that's terrible. G'kar is my favorite character.

JMS's words were very kind, though.

4. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    Yes horrible news indeed. I cannot sit through SIL without completely breaking down. What a show it was.

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think we all mourn today. Andreas brought G'Kar to life perfectly. He was fantastic at making us hate the character in the beginning (no pun intended :( ), and his brilliant talent allowed us to slowly see G'Kar's frailties and vulnerablities, all the while keeping the strength that made the character so vital in the first place. It allowed the character to evolve from the rather vulgar dislikable character we first met, to the enlightened one we last saw Legend of the Rangers(Andreas last appearance as G'Kar).

I don't think any of the characters would have worked if other actors had played the characters we came to know so well, but I especially do not think G'Kar would have worked or even have lasted long had anybody other than Andreas Kastulas played him. He gave a deft touch to the character has he slowly changed over the course of the show. There was a subtley to it, allowing the fans to go from hating him to rooting for the Narn at the end of five seasons.

May G'Quan greet you on the other side Andreas @};-

6. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    As I did for Rick Biggs, I've made a tribute video for Andreas, and Joe Straczynski has given me the okay to share it.

http://www.zteamproductions.com/b5stuff/Andreas.html

Pass it on.

7. masterjediskippy01

masterjediskippy01 Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2006
    Season 3 was the first ever in a television series to be completely written by one person: JMS.

If I recall, "Messages From Earth" wasnominated for an Emmy.

Uh..I wish the entire season could have been nominated..:)

8. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I was very sad to hear about Andreas. :( May God give him peace in the life to come and his family comfort in the life he left behind. Amen.

9. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Very sad to have him pass. I was a huge fan of G'Kar, especially during, well the entire time.

10. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    Do ya'll know about the release of the JMS scripts? If not, go here.

I have Volumes 1, 3, and 4. I didn't know about these until just before the release of Vol. 3, so I ordered Vol. 1 when they released Vol. 3. If you order a volume within the first week or so after release, thy knock $10 off the price. The volumes only contain the scripts that JMS wrote, but that is 92 of the 110 episodes. Each volume contains a lot of stuff that has never been released, from pictures to memos to notes and unseen episodes.

I may sound like I am advertising, but I'm not, I'm just really into these as I received my copy of Volume 4 and these are perfect for any fan of B5!

11. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for discussing this, but I hesitate to open a new thread either here or on the Saga board - if it's not, please redirect me. I keep thinking about how the B5 Vorlon/Shadow duality relates to the Jedi/Sith duality in SW.
    The Wikipedia states on the Vorlons:
    This striving for enlightenment vs. power, as well as the stress on order and obedience, as opposed to evolution and ambition, reminds me a lot of the philosophies of the Jedi and Sith respectively, as representated during the prequels. In a sense, Londo Mollari seems to serve a similar function in B5 as Anakin Skywalker does in Star Wars. A thought? Anyone?

12. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Both seem to represent a different way of looking at what's right and wrong, so in that case, I'd say that they are similar, to some extent. But both in Babylon 5 are looking to do good - raising your children right, ie the way that you are. I see the roles that the Jedi/Sith play as much different, not so much parents as caretakers or conquerors.

13. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    I wonder how the war would have gone on with Kosh still alive? He sounded like the voice of reason for the Vorlons. They probably wouldn't have gone on that planet destroying spree if he was still there to keep a level head.

14. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    It makes me wonder if there wasn't a Shadow that might have been a voice of reason for their side. We saw the Shadows as the "enemy" because the Vorlons manipulated the situation, but now looking back might the Shadows' agents (Sheridan's wife, Morden, etc) just as easily been manipulated into seeing things the other way, and not have been the evil that we were lead to believe?

15. Merlyn_Gabriel

Merlyn_Gabriel Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    My husband and I just finished all 5 seasons of B5, no movies yet though. And I have to say that this has to be one of the best written TV sci fi series i have ever seen. So well thought out and just astounding. We will be watching it again and again and I am sure just like our beloved Firefly we will see things every time we missed the first second and fiftieth viewing.

I too was saddend to hear that the actor who played G'Kar passed away. I enjoyed the fullness of that character immensely.

We also watched Crusade as well, I wish they had finished it. I really hate when seies just end...argh...

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>We will be watching it again and again and I am sure just like our beloved Firefly we will see things every time we missed the first second and fiftieth viewing.<<

I can guarentee you there are several things you'll notice upon repeat viewings- especially hidden little tidbits in season 1.

17. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Question, fellow B5 fans: In Chrystalius (spelling?) Delenn sends L'Nerr to ask Kosh if the shadows have returned. When he tells her yes, she runs to see him and says "I have grave doubts, I must know", at which time Kosh takes off his helmet. What exactly was Kosh imparting to her in that moment?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A line in the "In the Beginning" movie from Dukat to Delenn ties into that scene- something along the lines of "All you have to do is look upon the face of a Vorlon, and all doubt is erased." Likely referring to their appearance.

19. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Ah Babylon 5!

My Dad was the original fan in my family, and because he got the seasons on DVD, I became a fan also!

Season 3 is the best season of them all IMO, however that is said without having watched the second half of season 4 and season 5, my Dad seems to think that season 5 is a waste, therefore I probably won't watch that season.

I have watched the first 7 episodes of Crusade and It's decent, btu no where near the quality of Bab5!

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Season 5 is not as bad as some people make it out to be- though one's enjoyment of the first half of Season 5 depends largely on what one's opinion of the Byron characters ends up being. If you like or tolerate him, it's more enjoyable. If you hate Byron, you're gonna hate all the focus he gets in the first half. The second half of the season is top-notch though. Overall, Season 5 is still better than Seaosn 1, IMO.

Crusade had the potential to live up to it's predecessor, if viewed in the correct order and had it been given a chance to continue.

In fact, if you're watching it on DVD, try watching the show in this order:

1) Racing the Night - Disc 3
    2) The Memory of War - Disc 3
    3) The Needs of Earth - Disc 3
    4) The Long Road - Disc 1
    5) Visitors from Down the Street - Disc 3
    6) The Well of Forever - Disc 1
    7) Ruling from the Tomb - Disc 2
    8) Patterns of the Soul - Disc 2
    9) Each Night I Dream of Home - Disc 4
    10) The Path of Sorrows - Disc 1
    11) The Rules of the Game - Disc 2
    12) Appearances and Other Deceits - Disc 2
    13) (War Zone) - Disc 1

21. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I've been meaning to watch the Crusade episodes again, this time I'll watch them in the order you listed. Is this the order that JMS gave at one point as the correct sequence?

Does anyone know if the unused scripts for Crusade (I beleive there were 2 or 3 unfilmed scripts) are availabe anywhere on the internet? A friend said that they provided a lot of insight and would have made great shows.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've been meaning to watch the Crusade episodes again, this time I'll watch them in the order you listed. Is this the order that JMS gave at one point as the correct sequence?

For the most part- I adjusted the JMS order slightly to make the Lockley episodes flow better, space out the Techno-mage episodes early on and leave the forgettable "War Zone" for last so it can be skipped if desired. When JMS provided "his" viewing order for Sci-fi, he did it off the top of his head over the phone, so there's room for possible error in that one. But my order is pretty much the same, with 4 changes. Still no way around the uniform changes, but it's easy enough to ignore the switching.

Does anyone know if the unused scripts for Crusade (I beleive there were 2 or 3 unfilmed scripts) are availabe anywhere on the internet? A friend said that they provided a lot of insight and would have made great shows.

They are out there, but JMS does not approve of them being distributed. I have read them and they are quite good.

The three are:

"To the Ends of the Earth"- deals with the Shadow-like craft that destroyed the Cerebrus.
    "Value Judgements"- features Bester.
    "End of the Line"- continues plotthreads from TTEOTE, as well as the Gideon/Galen history and would have been the season-ending cliffhanger episode.

About 6 or so other unfilmed scripts were written, but have not been made available; and only 4 of those do we know what they would have been about- "Tried and True", where Dureena is forced by her mentor to prove her loyalty to the Thieves Guild; and a 3-parter dealing with Dureena being kidnapped by an ethereal-looking ship and obtaining a special sword while Kim, meanwhile, is given the powers of a machine empath and basicly links to the ship, driving him insane.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I would have loved to have seen those eps. Especially the Bester one.

24. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    AOL is now airing episodes of B5 online: http://television.aol.com/in2tv/heroes_horror_tv?defaultLevel=0&defaultItem=0

25. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I am NOT READING this thread for at least a couple months, as I am currently mid-Season 2 and already got spoiled on a few points just skimming through here (I have no one to blame but myself). But I wanted to note that I love the series and am looking forward to discussing it with you folks once I finish plowing through it. :)

M. Scott