main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books From a Certain Point of View, [A New Hope] 40th anniversary anthology novel (#OperationBlueMilk)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Manuel Bothans

Manuel Bothans Jedi Knight

Apr 8, 2016
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's been confirmed as a single book, and one of the authors let slip it involves short stories on Twitter.

SWpants likes this.
  3. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    By the number of authors involved I think it's an anthology. Tales of the Sequel Trilogy, Tales of the First Order, Tales of the Future Murdered Jedi...count me excited!

BigAl6ft6 and vncredleader like this.
  4. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    Barriss_Coffee and Sinrebirth like this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This is pretty exciting. I've been saying that I'm enjoying the combination of old favorites and new authors (some of which are now old favorites!), especially using short stories as a way to get fresh new story ideas and that fresh blood. If that's what we're getting, I'm -- as they say these days -- here for it.

Also I feel a need to stick up for Kevin Hearne here. While HttJ was very much not my cup of tea, I had the sense while reading it that he very much *got* Star Wars. I would like for him to get the chance to write something else in SW in the future.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Heir to the Jedi was interesting, in that I really really enjoyed the first quarter of the book, and then the rest kind of fell off for me. It wasn't bad, but it just suffered from a "nothing happening" syndrome. I don't know if this was necessarily his fault though, as it had the same affliction a lot of new canon novels have: you get the impression that the book is so scared of stepping on any other future canon toes, that it doesn't do anything bold or interesting, and by design ends up as kind of a forgettable one-off adventure. Heir was perfectly serviceable, but it felt like it could have just as easily been an arc of the current Marvel Star Wars series (which I love, btw), but as a novel, it just didn't live up to its premise as a first person story of the single most important character in Star Wars.

To be fair, the other books in the trilogy (old canon new canon divide be damned, they're a trilogy) have the same thing, but I really loved Honor Among Thieves. That's how you do a one off adventure.

7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Well this is exciting, can't wait for tomorrow to learn what this is about. Great Bunch of authors involved, whether it be related to TLJ, Rogue One, or just a bunch of stories about Duros, should be good.

8. Palizinha

Palizinha Jedi Master star 1

Jul 12, 2015
    Meg Cabot!! I did a double take when I saw the Star Wars Books Twitter retweeting her. I grew up with her books and all that.

General_Leia_Organa likes this.
  9. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Florian B@germanjedi 2m2 minutes ago

More

So a while back I noticed a 40th Anniversary book listing for October... #OperationBlueMilk

and here's a list of the authors.

10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Remember the tales from the force awakens book that was released a while back? Well I'm pretty sure it was labelled volume ONE

Maybe were getting volume two in the form of rogue one stories?

11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    JJM and Paul S. Kemp is all I needed (hey, the rest are awesome too, but these two have written some of my favourite SW!).

12. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Good thought, but that was released by Disney Press. Del Rey is marketing this one.

13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Nnedi Okarafor is exactly the sort of person who Del Rey should be going after to write Star Wars. There are no shortage of Hugo and Nebula winners who would jump at the chance to do Star Wars, and the last decade in particular have seen really creative new voices in the genre. I mean, if the BBC could get Michael Moorcock to write a Doctor Who book, anything is possible.

14. ImperialEwok

ImperialEwok Jedi Padawan

Mar 16, 2017
    It needs to actually be titled Operation Blue Milk

Triangulum, Ben09, BigAl6ft6 and 2 others like this.
  15. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Out of curiosity would Claudia Gray be allowed to write a continuation of Thane and Cienna's story under Del Rey. Or to continue that story would she have to be writing under Disney Press?

16. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    AFAIK, there wouldn't be any problems. Characters from LS have appeared in Del Rey books already.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Since we've only got a day to speculate on this, I want to throw out a definitely-not-going-to-happen idea:

I've been seeing James Patterson "bookshots" in the bookstore in the past year, which are essentially glorified novellas published as little pamphlets. I'd love for Operation Blue Milk to actually not be a single volume or book, but an upcoming form of publication where every couple of weeks you can go to the bookstore and pick up a pamphlet-type novella for a couple of bucks.

I know that's not what's happening here, we pretty much have confirmation that it's a single anthology book, but I guess I'm not fully satiated with short stories by Insider. I'd like to have a second short story ongoing program.

18. Palizinha

Palizinha Jedi Master star 1

Jul 12, 2015
    If she wrote a sequel, it would likely be aimed for the same age group as the first book, and that falls under Disney Press. Characters can pop up in stuff she does for Del Rey tho, of course.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm sure Operation Blue Milk is just a code name, but it would be interesting if Blue Milk was a unifying theme of all the stories. Or a common element to otherwise unrelated stories.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Regarding the question from jamminjedi23 there wouldn't be anything preventing something like that from happening or vice versa. Whether it would is an entirely different discussion.

And as for the "bookshots" idea - IF we did something like that, my guess is that we would probably be in the digital only space rather than pamphlet-type novellas. It would probably make more sense us. Short form fiction is something we analyze and talk about a lot trying to find both a balance with our full novels.

21. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Nu-Caon Tales from -X- location coming in

TheRedBlade likes this.
  22. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Short story anthology book set in a new era (old republic)?

23. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I would imagine (hope?) it will be stories from a variety of eras, from before the PT right up to the current TFA period. If there's nothing in the Old Republic era, I'd say that may be an indication that they intend not to delve into that time period at all.

ChefCurryWindu and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Nah, I wouldn't say that. Perhaps quite the opposite, in fact: they have future plans on it but they want them to be fully developed before they begin putting any kind of work in that era.

Darkslayer and BobaMatt like this.
  25. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Yeah, if they're going to open that period, I bet it would be with a film laying out the setting and visual language.

Darkslayer and BigAl6ft6 like this.