main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books From a Certain Point of View, [A New Hope] 40th anniversary anthology novel (#OperationBlueMilk)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Tal0nkarrde2

Tal0nkarrde2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2018
    I really enjoyed this book - there were a couple of things I would have left out, like the stuff in the cantina - we already had Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina and adding stories about the same characters in that anthology essentially changed the storyline of those characters (which always annoys me). I also wasn't too fond of the Boba Fett story - he sounds like a teenager in this tale when he should be at least in his 30s by A New Hope. And I loved that they had stories including some of the newly introduced characters from books like Ahsoka. I wrote a review of the book and we just posted it on the website at http://www.g-pop.net/swcpov.htm

Abalore likes this.
  2. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Cool review!

3. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    @DarthInternous: Now that apparently parts of the original plans for the ST were mentioned by George Lucas, I'm curious if people at Delrey were aware of these plans or parts of them and if some of the information was used for the canon novels and short stories.

4. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    I'm not sure I would go as far as calling those recent comments "plans" but to answer your question, no.

5. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Please! Please! Please! Do another one for Empire Strikes Back!

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For all that it would have been quite the project, from an editor's perspective I can appreciate it would have been a coordination challenge and a half!

The result was brilliant, so I'd hope it could be done for the other two films' 40th anniversaries.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    By all means, yes! :D

Now, just for the kicks, let's speculate on who the POV characters for such a book would be...

Here are 23 characters I'dl like to see (note that the asterisk means the character has only been IDed in legends so far):
    • 2-1B

• Cal Alder (An expert scout whose job was to look for ways to adept a new world's native ecology to the Rebel Alliance's needs.)

• Dengar

• E-3PO

• Toryn Farr (female communications officer for the Rebels at Hoth; coordinated the defense and evacuation of the planet)

• Ledick Firest (Alliance colonel. Was responsible for carrying out Rebel troop movements in the field, as ordered by the Echo Base command staff)

• Willrow Hood (Yes, I'm serious. Although it was "just" ean easter egg, this guy somehow had wound up on the ISD Harbinger when it was highjacked by the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars 22; there must be a story behind this)

• Gen. Maximilian Veers

• Lt. Sheckil (surely he can't be Boba's twin anymore, but there's still a story to develop here)

• Gen. Pharl McQuarrie

• Imperial pilot OL701 (One of the pilots who were sent into the Hoth asteroid belt to chase down the Millennium Falcon. Gender unspecified.)

• Lobot

• Adm. Kendal Ozzel

• Adm. Lorth Needa

• *Tian Chyler (a former ISB member who defected to the Rebel Alliance; she was sent to Cloud City to infiltrate Bespin's mining guilds at the Alliance's behest)

• *Sgt. Narthax (the leader of the snowtrooper squad that got mauled by wampas in a deleted scene)

• *Utris M'Toc (in Legends, the one Bespin Wing Guard who's not human; he is an incorruptible a male Imzig from Couronne)

• *One-Arm (Legends nickname of the female wampa Luke encounters)

• *Civé Rashon (in Legends, a female TIE pilot with the Obsidian Squadron; she participated in the takeover of the planet Bespin and in the pursuit of the Millennium Falcon)

• R5-M2

• Carlist Rieekan

• Ugloste (the Ugnaught who operated the Carbon-freezing chamber in Cloud City and who froze Han Solo)

• *Samara Kebyc (in Legends, a female senior accountant for the Cloud City Miner's Guild, who was present iwhen Calrissian called for an evacuation)

Note that there are only 3 females in this list (4 if you count the wampa), but ESB has very few women. OL701 could be a woman, though. Also, I guess EVAAN VERLAINE could have been at Hoth too!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Got ideas for ROTJ's POV?

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Ewok-wise: Princess Kneesaa, Asha Fahn, Latara
    Jabba's Palace-wise: The Rancor, Sy Snootles (various characters from Tales from Jabba's Palace also work)
    Empire-wise: Rae Sloane, Ciena Ree
    Rebellion-wise: Mon Mothma, Sila Kott

10. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, let's see...
    • Norra Wexley (she flew as Gold Nine during the Battle of Endor)

• Kneesaa (she wasn't seen in ROTJ, but we know she played a tactical an fighting role in the groudn battle)

• Newland and Blanaid (they were inside the AT-ST hijacked by Chewbacca)

• Sim Aloo (one of the Imperial advisers)

• Malakili

• Tanus Spijek (Elom spy for the Alliance; was in Jabba's palace when Luke arrived)

• Sy Snootles

• Nik Sant (just because he's not Rex. Or maybe he is. This is a good opportunity to end that debate)

• Romba (an Ewok who joined Bright Tree village after his was razed by the Empire)

• Jubnuk (the Gamorrean who fell in the rancor's pit along with Luke)

• Sila Kott (the female Alliance pilot who flew as Red Three)

• Crix Madine

• Oola

• Yarna d'al' Gargan

• Ghoel (the Wol Cabas****e male who was perched on the walls of Jabba's Palace in the audience chamber)

• Airen Cracken

• Leia as Boushh

• Rystáll Sant

• Dyer (commander of the Death Star's shield generator bunker)

• Aved Luun (female Jawa who was the mate of Jawa Chief Kalitand a shaman for their tribe)

• Myn Kyneugh (Imperial red guard aboard the Death Star II)

• Jess (the elusive blond musician at Jabba's palace, who hopes to leave by joining a band)

• Fozec (an ISB spy among Jabba's guards)

11. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Dorovio Bold would be an awesome candidate since we know little about her in both Legends and Canon. All we know is that she was a former Imperial pilot who defected after Alderaan and fought at the Battle of Endor (with the possibility of dying depending on the footage released of her).

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    A certain, sinister part of me rather hopes that they do an ESB one... and it does absolutely nothing with Veers.

13. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    You monster! [face_not_talking]

jSarek and PCCViking like this.
  14. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Skipped past the list because that borders on one of those things that I'm not really supposed to read. But, if we did the second book I imagine it would go similar to the first, where we'd give authors pretty much free reign to choose their characters. Personally, I would hope someone chooses Veers. That guy needs more shine.

But then again, I was 100% sure someone would choose Porkins for FACPOV and no one did. *shrug*

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Willrow Hood also got an action figure. (Yes, this Fett fan did get it).

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    - The Red Guards
    - The Peculiar Hat Crew

Darth Caliban and PCCViking like this.
  17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Marking the presence or absence of Veers in Disney products has, amusingly, become the subject of an ongoing joke over the years: https://twitter.com/VeersWatch

Vthuil, Jedi Ben and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Mas Amedda and Sly Moore would be welcome for any of the movies.

19. Tal0nkarrde2

Tal0nkarrde2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2018
    Thank you. :)

20. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    There are few people in the world I root for more than Veers Watch. Nothing but good things for that person.

21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Their dedication is indeed commendable. And I really am surprised no one has ever used Veers in a new story since the late nineties! He was such a striking presence in ESB.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Considering Julian Glover is still around and still acting, resurrecting the "he survived Hoth collision" Legends retcon, and making use of him in Episode IX, would not be impossible.

It would surprise me if they were to do that though.

Lego Star Wars used him as the main villain of a post-Endor arc - but that's Infinities.

Tzizvvt78 and PCCViking like this.
  23. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    Needa is a captain, not an admiral.