main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    the Galaxy not the public? So its more than just the Republic and the Imperial Remanent? (I am operating on the First Order is not the IR's public face) How many faction in the galaxy are there?

2. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    I dunno, I don't really see "acquiesces to disorder" and "they shot first" as adding up to a coherent political program. Especially when the Nazis both (1) argued that democracy was intrinsically perverse and would lead to violence, and (2) blamed all their crimes on the need to defend themselves from their dastardly enemies the Bolshevists and the Jews, who had stabbed Germany in the back during WW1 and were now poised to destroy her. Especially when Hux is ranting his speech at the top of his lungs in an obvious Hitler-callback on a raised platform where rows and rows of soldiers and tanks are doing formation movement below--and they're all really there to watch approvingly as a giant laser beam shoots up into space to destroy a star system. I really don't think I'm doing a lot of reading-into here.

Still, I'm not actually trying to argue that we should dismiss the FO as nothing more than a bunch of silly children playing dress-up or w/o. Naziism actually had quite a sophisticated ideology, with deep roots in the philosophical and scientific world of Europe, and was disproportionately popular among intellectuals and academics in the West and elsewhere. Even the focus on aesthetics is not silly, but deadly serious. A basic argument of fascism was that democratic liberal capitalist existence was corrupt and perverse and colorless and meaningless by nature--and the presentation of a counter-aesthetic of life and vitality and strength and redemptive violence was not just window-dressing, but a core part of the argument of the movement. But the argument made is not primarily political in the modern American sense of that word--where the discourse is supposed to be about how to most efficiently do certain things and solve certain problems that we all agree on. It's an argument about what government is, and how human life should be conducted on a basic level. It's not designed to solve mundane problems, but to save the soul of the nation. You can't even talk about it ultimately except in religious terms.

All I'm really trying to say is that the goals of the FO are fundamentally ideological, quasi-religious, and transformational. So were the Galactic Empire's, of course, and especially in the NEU where the Empire's basically totalitarian nature is made a lot clearer than in the EU--but the Galactic Empire was working with the machinery of an ancient Galactic civilization, with lots of intertia and tradition behind it, and so it was perfectly possible for lots of people to view it as a basically conservative and stabilizing force. Again, these people were mistaken, but they didn't know that.

The basic idea of the FO just seems to be the Empire's totalitarian and ideological core without the trappings of traditionalism. This is not something we should view as silly or cartoonish--even if Americans have been taught to view fascism and Naziism as 100% silly and cartoonish and not able to be taken seriously. There's a lot of room for genuine interest, and a lot of great stories that could be made based on this idea. Show us Hux really believing that life in the Republic is dirty and meaningless, that its government is a bunch of spineless, corrupt degenerates, and its citizens need to be delivered from that--show him really believing that the Empire was treacherously betrayed from within, and those who threaten the FO need to be liquidated to save it and Galactic civilization. Or show us some other characters with different angles on the whole operation. There can certainly be ordinary FO citizens who are indoctrinated to view it as positive and good but aren't totally onboard with or really even understand the ideology of the core leadership. But we don't need to turn the FO into something they're clearly not in order to view them as having an understandable point of view. If we get to see a bunch of traditionalist aristocratic FO people, then sure, I'll go with that too. So far, all we've seen are obvious fascists--and I mean obvious, 100% unsubtle fascists. This doesn't need to be a problem, though. We can leave them as fascists, and still tell good stories about them.

Iron_lord, Charlemagne19 and Ton_G like this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Fair enough, I agree.

It's not like the FO have given any reason or sign of redeeming qualities. They really are a nation of jackasses. They do have a traditionalism but its a veneration of the Empire while also viewing it as a failed state compared to themselves. Which means they are MUCH more extreme at the end. I just really was hoping we would get some more honorable foes and moral ambiguity but seems the Empire is getting worse while the Rebellion is....also getting worse

Thank God we can always trust in General Organa.

*realizes what he typed*

:(:_|

Vialco and CaptainPeabody like this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would suggest watching the Star Wars movies for an idea of what the Empire stands for. :p

Krennic, Tarkin, Tagge, and the Emperor himself all offer views -- and that's just off the top of my head.

You will find that it is you who are mistaken... about a great many things. ::emperor::

It's not merely inertia. If it were, then there wouldn't be a Royal Imperial Academy on Coruscant training the best officer candidates with "Core Worlds Classical Culture" as a key requirement, and an Imperial Ball at the Imperial Palace as the capstone for the very best of those best students. If it were merely inertia, there wouldn't be pressure on HoloNet journalists to cover other Imperial Balls as society events. If it were merely inertia, there wouldn't be flight barons or other aristocratic creations of the Empire. If it were merely interia, there wouldn't be a sumptuous Imperial court with intrigues.

Coruscant belies all these purported Old Republic holdovers -- you might blame the Senate or the bureaucracy on that, but the former lasted a very long time and may well be a lynchpin of Imperial rule, while the latter remained. But even aside from those holdovers, Coruscant was not only retained as the capital but was enhanced and its influence encouraged. All of these creations point towards the Empire as an essentially aristocratic and conservative state, with all that fascism rot as window-dressing for lacqueys and other immaterial servants.

It's what the Emperor and his inner circle do that matters. It's what the Empire encourages at its lavish center that counts. It's not stuff on the frontier -- that's merely to provide resources to the capital and to enforce authority on the barbarous reaches of space.

The First Order made this same error that you have -- it assumed that the military, the New Order, and all these other levers of Imperial rule were actually the essential basis of the Empire. Unsurprising, considering that the First Order's founders consisted of unimportant, marginal figures who were far from the center of the Empire (save perhaps Rax -- and yet he knew the importance of Coruscant and the court trappings to the Empire, and deliberately rejected it).

The Empire is about high society, culture, pomp, and circumstance.

Vialco likes this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    You know, it's really hard to follow these long political discussions when both parties are putting on a persona...

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Persona?

[​IMG]

7. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    "But my planet destroying evil empire is better than your planet destroying evil empire because they're [human-centric racists/indoctrinated children]."

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm just reciting canonical observations.

That's a smear. The Emperor never intended for that to happen.

To quote Lord Vader: there is no Death Star.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Jello hates the reformist attitude of the First Order which recognizes Core World culture was standing in the way of the fraternity, equality, and lack of liberty brought by the Pax Primo Edictio.

But yes, do we think the First Order will exist after Episode 9?

That's only a couple of years away.

10. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    That's not a defence.

It's a terrible leader that would allow for a system in which the ultimate weapon to be used without his consent. Alderaan is either an example of brutish tyranny or staggering incompetence on the part of the emperor. But really it's both with a side of megalomania.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No, I hate their destructive brutality. They're the enemy of everything the Empire stood for.

Shall we hold Mon Mothma accountable for all the atrocities committed by her forces? The only difference is that of scale: and truly, when compared in relative terms, the Empire's so-called "brutish tyranny" is a blip compared to the harm the Rebels regularly commit.

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, in Legends, Palpatine approved Alderaan's destruction.

Not sure about canon.

Vialco likes this.
  13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Anyone else read Blade Squadron: Jakku? I found it to be really underwhelming, plus it barely covered the space battle. Thoughts? :(

--Adm. Nick

vncredleader likes this.
  14. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I agree. You have this epic battle going on and Agate's huge sacrifice and all we get from Blade Squadron is a run of the mill ground attack. Felt like something from a slow point in an rpg.

[​IMG]

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Where do these things keep coming from

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Well you should know seeing as you are an Imp fanboy, rebellion breeds quickly. The more you fight back the stronger we get.

17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Being an Empire fan is a rebellion itself.

vncredleader likes this.
  18. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I am telling you Jello is really the biggest Rebel of us all. He just refuses to admit it.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

Funny, I always thought the Rebels lacked breeding.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

vncredleader likes this.
  20. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Rebel fans are the "Empire" of the SW fandom.

vncredleader likes this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Amusingly, read JOIN THE RESISTANCE today and I don't recommend it but it did combine all of the existing First Order origins.

“Do you know what the First Order is?” Jo asked him. Mattis remembered hearing about the First Order from Snap, but Jo did not wait for a reply. “The First Order started out as a splinter group of the Empire. After the Battle of Jakku, they broke off and gained a modicum of respectability. They were even part of the New Republic for a while. But they’ve been planning something. An awakening of power and destruction. That’s what General Organa says, and she’s seen it before. General Organa helped Admiral Ackbar defeat the Empire a generation ago.”

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The more you tighten your grip and all that you know.

23. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    I make them! :D

Gamiel and vncredleader like this.
  24. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    If I may be controversial, I do not believe the empire has "fans" as in the empire is good. More like the disbelief the galaxy can be so dysfunctional on an interstellar level and actually manage to function on a basic level.

The interstellar governments of the GFFA suffer from the same stupidity that afflicts the Marvel or DC governments of earth to justify a need from superhero's without a severe alienating para-dime shift that would launch marvel and DC into speculative fiction Ala Dune, thus for story a certain amount of incompetence is necessary. Even if that incompetence would in reality be a symptom of social or governmental collapse.

after all how many Star Trek fan root for the Romulan Empire or Cardassian union over the UFP?

Charlemagne19 and PCCViking like this.
  25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Uh....there is a substantial fanbase who prefer these guys to the Federation.

[​IMG]

I mean, Lord knows, I'd prefer to live on Bajor than the Federation. Maybe not during the Cardassian occupation but you wouldn't be able to keep me anywhere near Earth.

CaptainPeabody and PCCViking like this.