main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Anakin Skywalker in the New Films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by gambit420, Jul 13, 2014.

1. jedi-princess-barbie

jedi-princess-barbie Jedi Master

Jul 30, 2007
    I think it all depends on what kind of critics you are talking about. I think he fared better with the mainstream movie critics than bloggers who tend to be fans. But I don't think that is the reason he wasn't making more movies. I read that he said he was just being offered the same types of roles over and over. Star Wars afforded him the choice to wait it out for something different and put some time between him and ROTS. He actually took 4 years off from making movies so we could see a very different Hayden Christensen next on screen.

Darth PJ likes this.
  2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    In all fairness to Hayden, (and practically every actor in that trilogy) the terrible script they had to work with and the lumpen direction made it nigh on impossible to deliver any kind of believable thematic performance. The only ones who crawled from its mess with any credit were Ewan and McDiarmid.

3. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012

I have to be honest. It looks straight to video bad. This probably isn't the performance that will change minds.

4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Say it's a boy: I wonder if Luke Christensen will learn the ways of acting and become an actor like his father.

Luukeskywalker, VMeran and Dak Oolron like this.
  5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Powerful actor was his father. Powerful actor.

6. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    "Luke's just not a farmer, Owen. He has too much of his father in him."

7. jedi-princess-barbie

Jul 30, 2007
    US release 2/2015 and they are already planning a sequel. That's an early sales promotion video for the markets and it was made last year before the film was completed so it's by far not the finished product or official trailer. It may not be the performance that will change minds, as you say, but he's decided to make movies again and I'm happy about that. He made an in road of sorts in doing a China co-production movie at a time when there are strict limits on the number of co-productions being made there. And maybe he had to go to a foreign country to kind of start over much like Clint Eastwood did.

8. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Peter Hyams said that acting is 90% casting. I agree with him. I think that a lot people just assume that Lucas is a bad director so he does not get credit for any good performance, but he gets hit when there are crappy ones.

VMeran and Dak Oolron like this.
  9. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I actually liked Jumper a lot. I saw it quite a bit after it came out (received the blu-ray free when I bought a player) and was really surprised by it.

10. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    I think Jumper had sequel potential.

11. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    If Hayden is ever going to play another character (In Star Wars too), he must try to find something akin to his Shattered Glass character. He imo was brilliant there.

run_luke_run and Yanksfan like this.
  12. ForgottennJedi1986

ForgottennJedi1986 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 12, 2014
    Jumper definitely had sequel even trilogy potential, especially with the way it ended. Plus that film was where he and his wife met (you could see and feel the chemistry), so the not-so-great romantic scenes in the PT had more to do with writing and direction than Hayden and Natalie (who also dated during filming). Jumper 2 with Hayden, Rachel, Sam Jackson? Yes please!

13. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Doug Liman should return as director, especially after his recent success with Edge of Tomorrow.

14. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    I would enjoy the cameo, but I don't see a place for it. I saw the end of ROTJ as the Jedi of that era passing on. Luke had proven himself a worthy successor of the Jedi, balance had been restored, and they were no longer needed. By the time of Episode VII, Luke will be a Jedi master and not need the constant guidance that he did during the trilogy.

Yanksfan and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. jedi-princess-barbie

Jul 30, 2007
    LOL Doug Liman is a match-maker. Yes please a Jumper sequel! The second book takes place 10 years later after Millie and David have been married for 10 years. It could be done.

I loved ROTS. It wasn't so much about romance as it was the a star crossed situation that both felt guilty about because it was secret.

16. jedi-princess-barbie

Jul 30, 2007
    I'm not sure I understand. You see ROTJ as the Jedi of that era passing on but Luke in episode VII will be a Jedi Master? He is of that era. Won't there be Jedi in VII? Or the Force?

I don't see Luke needing the guidance of his father either. I don't see them putting the two together on screen as son and force ghost. I don't think I'd want to see that either.

But I do see something happening with the grandchildren or one of them where Luke may not be able to help and Anakin could step in. Like if one of them is seduced to the dark side of The Force. Who would know more about that and redemption than Anakin?

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Your comments are somewhat contradictory and don't seem grounded in any sense of logic... Why would Ewan and McDiarmid get ‘credit’ that the others wouldn’t? Are they demonstrably better actors? Did they have the best dialogue or best direction perhaps? I think McGregor, Portman, Neeson, McDiarmid, Jackson, Lee et al, all seemed to come out of the prequels rather well... even if it wasn’t the best acting gig they ever had, they are (and probably will be) the biggest and most popular films they’ll (collectively) ever appear in. For all its success... what did Fisher, Hamill and Billty Dee do after the OT, in terms of acting roles, that supports your argument? If this is a measure of success (which I wouldn’t agree with anyway), it looks like the performers in the PT have been far more successful, outside of SW, than their OT counterparts. So what does that demonstrate exactly?

Luukeskywalker and AndyLGR like this.
  18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This movie looks so dreadfully bad that I can't stop laughing. It's like a Worst-British-Accent competition between Hayden Christensen and Nicholas Cage. [face_rofl]

That being said, I would love to see Hayden as a Force ghost in EpVII. I think he did a good job with what he was given in AotC, and a terrific job in RotS! Luke and Anakin talking to each other would be a wonderful scene to see.

VMeran, Darth Raiden and Darth PJ like this.
  19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    cage is one crazy s.o.b.

GGrievous and Darth Raiden like this.
  20. ForgottennJedi1986

ForgottennJedi1986 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 12, 2014
    I have never heard of Shattered Glass. Thanks GGrievous for mentioning it, I watched the trailer and it seems to deal with topics my interested in so I will check it out.

-------

I actually respect Hayden personally for not being a Hollywood D-bag, everyone is fake and a sellout these days. It's actually pretty awesome he found a girl he loves and has a baby on the way, has some land, a clothing line, and has built a regular life for himself and his family. Good on him!

21. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Shattered Glass is a top film... and he's actually very 'Anakin-like' in it... It's interesting to see that there's a line of style that follows through (in terms of HC's acting) e.g. childlike, naive, 'naturalistic'.

GGrievous and ForgottennJedi1986 like this.
  22. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    ForgottennJedi1986 It's a well made based-on-a-true-story movie with excellent acting all around. Toward the end of the movie, you most likely would say "Why didn't Peter Sarsgaard and Hayden win any notable acting awards?" The Oscars, Golden Globes (Sarsgaard was nominated for a Globe), ect, are basically hosting popularity contests these days.

Darth PJ His continuous lying gives you food for thought as well. Even when his whole world fell apart, he would still side by his phony story.

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Shattered Glass is very good, and yes, it's interesting that he's playing another character there that isn't summed up by being "easy to relate to." If I didn't know the release date, I could've very well believed that Lucas cast Christensen in large part because of Shattered Glass.

ForgottennJedi1986 and GGrievous like this.
  24. coxie0520

coxie0520 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2014

Shattered Glass came out after ROTS; and yes, he was great in it. I find it rather odd that people seem to forget the praise Hayden received for Life as a House, which came out maybe a year before AOTC. It was a smaller-budget, almost Lifetime-esque movie, but he was great in it! I actually think he and Jena Malone (who is now playing Joanna in Hunger Games and was fantastic in Catching Fire, btw) had better chemistry than Christensen and Portman shared.

All in all, I like Hayden and enjoy the prequels (but I agree the acting overall was kinda ehh for the entire trilogy) so I would have no problem seeing him come back in some sort of capacity in the ST :)

25. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

I know why Samuel L. Jackson's character hated Hayden's character so much. Because he knew that Hayden's previous life character cut off Jackson's previous life character's arm. ;)

VMeran and coxie0520 like this.