main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Anakin Skywalker in the New Films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by gambit420, Jul 13, 2014.

1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I think one of Hayden's problems is his voice. He has a very flat, whiny, un-engaging voice. Much like Natalie Portman. Though the latter, when she's acting her heart out, can transcend her voice. Haven't quite seen Hayden do that, though he had his moments in AOTC and ROTS.

2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    This thread should go the way of Plagueis... Not going to happen.

3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    At this point anything can happen and not happen.

That rumors point to Yoda appearing in VIII and both he and Obi-Wan did vocally tends to lead to the idea that it's more than possible.

Overall barring some rather good explanation it's hard to figure why it wouldn't happen at the very least in IX.

Anakin is the start of all of this in terms of the Skywalker line.

It's about the story. If they need to put Anakin in then he will play Anakin because he is Anakin.

I think he delivered in spades and gave the best acting performance seen in SW yet.

That doesn't matter either way as it's about what the new story is.

So nothing changes for those people.

He does though as he already has proven

Well that is another thing entirely but as he is on good terms with Lucasfilm and promoted Star Wars in China with Lucasfilm a couple of years ago then the indication is that there is no problem for him talking about it.

syferdiasisalie likes this.
  4. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    He definitely belongs in the ST. The semi-final shot of the OT is him as a ghost, hinting at a possible future between him and his son. I'm very much hoping the ghost of Anakin Skywalker plays a role in this final trilogy. His legacy is clearly looming large, and his presence should be felt in a big way.

Interesting to wonder whether Luke has spoken with the ghost of his father between ROTJ and TFA...

5. Avalanche19

Avalanche19 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 3, 2016
    I'd love to see Hayden return as Anakin. I also am curious at the interactions (if there were any) between Anakin and Luke and/or Kylo Ren.

6. Jedi_Master_Laker

Jedi_Master_Laker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 27, 2002
    If Ren had some type of communication with Vadar then it's safe to assume Luke can commune with Anakin as the dichotomy of their existence is explained by Obi in 6 when he tells Luke his version of the truth.

7. MissJo

MissJo Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 6, 2015
    Right, but Shaw really can't come back and Hayden can. Regardles of your feelings about him, do you really think that a third actor would be a good solution.

You are also talking about inspiring scenes with Shaw, and it is okay for you to feel that way. But some of us feel the same way about Hayden. I was really happy when I saw the end of ROTJ where is Hayden in the end.

First of all Shaw was never the appropriate age, he was 80 playing a 45 year old guy. Second Hayden is 35 now, so his age actually fits more than Shaw ever did, as for the other part, well not sure if you actually saw any of his latest work, but if you didn't you really don't know if he has demeanor to pull it off.

As for connecting with characters, well that just depends on a person. I am complete opposite, couldn't connect with the new cast at all, while I really liked the previous one.

wobbits, cwustudent and Shamear like this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Erm ... what? Vader's age was never specified in the OT so you can't really say Shaw was too old to play him. Maybe he fathered Luke and Leia at 50, that happens in real life as well.

Avnar and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  9. MissJo

Aug 6, 2015

Fine, he is too old now. Is that better?

cwustudent likes this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    If Lucas had adapted the PT better to the OT, we wouldn't have this discussion. Not just Shaw is "too old", Alec Guiness is as well. This messy continuity is irreparable.

11. MissJo

Aug 6, 2015

Actually Alec wasn't too old, he was 62, 63 during ANH, and Ben was 57 when he died. No matter what was said and wasn't said in OT, Shaw was too old, at least for me.

But that really isn't important now. For better of worse we have our canon and in it Vader was 45.

12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Due to the appearance of Shaw in Jedi I always assumed that Anakin was virtually the same age as Obi Wan, despite him being a pupil. I don't go along with the Alec Guinness was too old line of thought though.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I have had to edit too many of your posts for disallowed language. Please stop; final warning on this.

cwustudent likes this.
  14. PTdefender3

PTdefender3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2015
    In case if you havent noticed they wished Hadyen and Nattlie a happy birthday on he offical facebook page and been posting a lot more prequel stuff lately I think if they don't show Hayden as a force ghost or have any mention of Anakin in this trilogy then the flow will be destryoed as the Saga is about Anakin Skywalker and his conflicting legacy is the ST.

Someone lowered Haydens voice in ROTS from a software and his lower register sounds like Kylo Ren. Adam Driver also has a bla voice

15. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I would only have an issue with Hayden returning if BOTH of the following conditions are true: 1)The director is not all that good 2)The roll requires exceptionally good acting
    If only one of those are true, or neither, I'm wouldn't worry. Hayden in VIII would be fine by me because ai trust Johnson. I'm a little shaky on Trevorrow, having only seen Jurassic World and none of his other films, so IX would be an open question. But I'm confident Johnson would use him well if he wanted to.

16. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    All roles, big and small, should place an emphasis on great acting. So if they bring Anakin back, I think they should cast the best actor possible first, and consider resemblance to Christensen/ Shaw second.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, but clearly it is easier to pull off a smaller role. They could have gotten a better actress than Carrie Fisher for Leia (not that I am complaining, I enjoyed her and wouldn't have wanted anyone else), but put her in because of (obviously) continuity. Hayden I am pretty sure has more time onscreen in SW movies than Carrie, I think they would put him in because he is adequate to pull of the role even if he isn't De Niro/Brando/Pacino level.

18. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    which is a big reason why i can never imagine hayden under the vader mask saying all those badass lines with that vader's commanding voice.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  19. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003
    What if we only hear Hayden's voice through Luke (a la parts of ANH and ESB)?

cwustudent likes this.
  20. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Possible. And then we'll actually see him in episode IX.

21. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    I could see H.C. making an appearance in the ST, but not as a Force Ghost. Something to the effect of Kylo Ren finding a hologram of Anakin before his duel on Mustafar, doing something we didn't get to see in ROTS. Or it could be something as simple as a force vision, seeing Anakin as H.C. fighting himself as Darth Vader, illustrating 'the conflict' Luke sensed in ROTJ.

One Quarter Portion likes this.
  22. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    And he was invited to the TFA premiere. They seem to be on good terms.

How the OT ended with him being in the final shot and now TFA being about his legacy it makes no sense for him not to return. I hope he does because the majority of fans would be excited about it and it would feel like real Star Wars again.

23. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    It doesn't make "no sense" for him not to return. It's fine if he does return, if well-executed, but there are about a millions ways of rationalizing the absence of his force ghost.

24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    TFA has already set things in motion for it not to though.

We already have 2 of the 3 known Force ghosts talking to Rey in both Obi-Wan and Yoda and Obi-Wan that young Anakin knew in particular.

Now obviously in pure production terms it's a vocal oddity in that the EM's and AG's Obi-Wan are one and the same and the younger became the older. We know that there should be no great distinction between the voice of the older Obi-Wan and the younger anymore than HC's Anakin and SS Anakin in the unmasking scene.

This is where the realities of production intersect with the making of movies. They didn't insert HC into that unmasking scene in ROTJ or even place his voice in there. There really was no need since it's not like Anakin's voice would have to sound the same 25 years after ROTS especially with the damage his vocal chords would have received.

Of course Obi-Wan had no damage and there won't be any story about how his voice changed. We have to accept that it's just the same voice just older.

There are " a million" ways of course to get around not using Anakin's spirit but outside of a really good one then the best thing to do is to have him appear.

It's seems likely at this point that Yoda appears in VIII so maybe Obi-Wan does as well.

Everything in the new canon is geared around the younger Anakin being the Force spirit.

I don't know what "well-executed" means for a Force spirit. If the person appears as a spirit then it's part of the story. They wouldn't do it otherwise.

I for one would not be surprised if HC appears for one scene in Rogue One as an unmasked Vader. EW says they have made a point of not identifying any one person as playing Vader and they seem to have several actors/stuntmen playing the role. So if they would want to have an unmasked Vader scene then HC is the one to do that.

I don't know how much clearer they can get with their goals of integration of the movies across all platforms from Saw from TCW to Mon Mothma (played by the ROTS actor) and everything else they have done.

Then HC has got that covered as seen in AOTC and ROTS.

On a sarcastic note I think it safe to say if great acting was what it was all about no matter the size of the role then Carrie Fisher would very likely say "I'm out as Leia then." because she had no great confidence as going back to Leia was her first real acting in years.

wobbits, Lee_ and MissJo like this.
  25. MissJo

Aug 6, 2015

Except we already have an actor for Anakin.

But nevertheless, I hardly believe that they would hire someone else after declaring that Hayden's force ghost is canon, then making toys with his face, than official info about force ghost Anakin where you have photos of Hayden in the end of ROTJ etc. There are even emojis :)

Lee_ likes this.