main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Ok, ok I'm calming down. I guess I'm just the overprotective type. BTW MandoArtist is male. He likes Sabine alot so he uses her as a avatar. Sorry I panicked before guys. Is the 4th ban lifetime? If it is I'll go 8-}!

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  2. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Your not getting banned, stop panicking. Honestly there us no need for that here, you can always PM me or one of the other mods if you are concerned.

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Majority, if not all, kids will have zero interest in the allege 'political issue' of involving LGBT character. Society has moved on.

4. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    Whilst I agree and believe kids couldn't care less if there was a LGBT character in Rebels (or any other TV show) that's not to say that minority groups have appropriate representation in mainstream media. Having, for instance, an gay character in Rebels could potentially reassure kids who identify as LGBT as being normal themselves (which they totally are). The same applies to a child from an ethnic minority or who has a disability. Representation helps kids feel welcome and valued in society.

If society had truly moved on I doubt this thread would even exist.

5. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    They should just make every character in Rebels gay or non-binary and be done with it.

Dark Lord Tarkas and Darth Basin like this.
  6. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Sabetsu>Ezrabine

7. Danifae

Danifae Jedi Master star 1

Aug 23, 2004
    If Ketsu turns out to be a mole and betrays the rebels big-time, I'm not going to know whether to laugh or cry. It will be like Mallus all over again.

Given how some in the tumblr fandom can get quite nasty with the whole Sabetsu vs Ezrabine thing... eh, if Ketsu turns out to be serving the wrong side willingly and for ignoble reasons and Sabine is then forced to kill her, there's likely going to be drama of the ugly shipping wars kind.

8. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    Wait, there's actually a Sabetsu Vs Ezrabine war on Tumblr? Lol.

I hope Ketsu isn't a traitor, she must have surely had some regrets leaving her bestie for dead.

Dark Lord Tarkas and Danifae like this.
  9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    It is truly a sad state of affairs. I cannot get an LGBT center started in my area because the TS ladies have been assaulted so they don't want it in their name.

10. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Huh? Where you live? Somewhere in the 19th century? Outrageous!

11. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    The only thing I enjoyed from season two: Kallus, I want more Kallus. The Honorable Ones was brilliant!

[​IMG]

12. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    That would actually work for me. Kallus is going through an identity crisis anyway, if he has to rebuild himself then perhaps he starts to work out who he is, not what he is (an Agent of the Empire.) And in theory you could put his sexuality into that quandary. On the other hand, depending on where he ends up morally it might not be the wisest move to have the one openly gay character be a villain opposed to all our heterosexual heroes.

13. Danifae

Danifae Jedi Master star 1

Aug 23, 2004
    I think Kallus could work really well as an ISB agent who struggles with feeling attracted to non-human humanoids (god, that was a mouthful) despite the Empire's ideology; he showed interest in Hera in Vision of Hope, and The Honorable Ones launched a new ship with Zeb. I haven't read the new canon novels by Chuck Wendig yet but I understand there's a former ISB turned New Republic officer named Sinjir Rath Velus who's gay.

Having another male ISB officer who's gay would be fine with me but would feel somewhat redundant and reinforce a stereotype, i.e. every male ISB officer is gay and a rebel at heart. So, some variety would be welcome, i.e. Sabine is a lesbian.

14. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    There's a whole lot you could explore if you were brave enough (and in short-form cartoons, had the time) - like, Sabine is lesbian, but Ketsu is not and the various misunderstandings and conflict. Or if it's Kallus, his inner conflict with the ultra-militaristic conformist Imperial ideology. In other words, make it exactly like every other relationship ever, with the respective genders being completely irrelevant.

I've said before that there is something very odd when a relationship between two entirely different species (Twilek and Human) is A-Okay, but between two people of the same species and the same gender is not.

15. DeltaRecon226

DeltaRecon226 Jedi Knight

Sep 20, 2012

Agreed. I don't think the Star Wars universe has ever really been about complex sexual issues. That's not to say there's no place for them, but I don't like the prospect of Star Wars serving a master by fulfilling a sexuality quota. So far, I haven't detected any homosexuality in Rebels, nor do I care if there is or is not. So long as it serves the story and thematically fits into the SW universe without feeling forced. Star Wars has never had any other agenda other than telling the story intended by the creator, which was George back in '77 and is now Dave Filoni with Rebels.I think a film or novel would do a far better job at conveying issues of sexual identity in the Star Wars universe than an animated television show. I think The Clone Wars could've actually handled it very well too, but Rebels doesn't seem to have the maturity to do so. I actually happen to enjoy Rebels, but I think it would come off really tonally inconsistent.

Darth Basin likes this.
  16. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Well there was a charecter (Zemo the Hutt) who seemed gay at first but latter they gave him Sy Snoodles as a GF for some near pointless reason in TCW.

17. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    Why do you think he seemed gay? You can't really tell that by just looking at someone.

DanielUK likes this.
  18. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    His character was based on Truman Capote. A very gay man who wrote some very good books.

19. Sandtrooper956

Feb 15, 2015
    Huh I never heard about that. Maybe they just didn't want the first gay character in the series to be a Hutt.

20. DeltaRecon226

DeltaRecon226 Jedi Knight

Sep 20, 2012
    I recall people thinking Ziro the Hutt was gay because he had a lisp and spoke in a feminine manner despite being a male; Jabba's brother.

Darth Basin

I had no idea he was based on Truman Capote, that's pretty cool. Ziro does sound uncannily similar to Phillip Seymour Hoffman's portrayal of Capote come to think of it.

Darth Basin likes this.
  21. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Yes, well to me it felt like LFL chickened out.

Yes @DeltaRecon266. Zemo was based on Truman Capote. On hearing that I thought we had SW's 1st gay character on TV.

22. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Now he's a rebel! [face_love] Do Zeb and Kallus, as a pair, have a nickname already? They need another episode together.

And I hope not all of our heroes are heteros. By Rebels' end, maybe I want Sabine to ride into the sunset with Ketsu. [face_dunno]

23. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    We've seen so little of Ketsu and we're in the final season. Considering their past together, I don't think a ship between them would even be believable. I do know that there's a lot of fandom support for a homosexual Sabine though. I personally don't mind, it won't change much for me.

And as for Zeb and Kallus...I know they aren't enemies anymore but Kallus's genocide against the Lasat people makes a pairing impossible IMO.

24. Sandtrooper956

Feb 15, 2015
    Originaly I shipped Ketsu and Sabine but that was back when we all thought Ketsu was actually going to matter. I still want Sabine to be gay, but I doubt that it will be explored in this show with 15 episodes left. In fact they've even been hesitant with the straight romance, so I wouldn't count on anything much sadly....

25. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Thrukh 2017?

TheMechanical0ne likes this.