main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST I'll Never Be A Royal (For the Chart Hits Challenge) [Rey]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RX_Sith, Aug 7, 2016.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Title: I'll Never Be A Royal
    By: RX_Sith

Disclaimer: Borrowing for fun, and a bit of character exploration.
    Characters: Rey and other from TFA.
    Genre: ST: Rey's beginning on Jakku.
    AN: For the Chart Hits challenge. Look here for details

Song is: Lorde's "Royals"

I've never seen a Jedi in the flesh, that is for certain, but I constantly dream of what may be out there away from this desolate sandy home of mine. I cut my teeth gathering supplies from the wreckage of a battle a long time ago. From this wreckage, I sell the supplies that I gather to Unkar Plutt, the junk dealer.

I'm not proud of the downed AT-AT that is currently my address, but at least it is better than the nothingness that I stare at during the nighttime. I see the twinkling of distant stars and begin to wonder if one of them is my ultimate destiny in life. But, then my thoughts turn towards the family that left me behind hoping that one day I will see them return.

I start to not to care, dreaming of flying the Millenium Falcon in my dreams, twisting and turning away from the adversary who is chasing me. A few flips and dips and my gunner shoots them down so that we can escape from this hell hole.

But the more I get away, the more trouble I get into. I am caught by another foe and they are at least helpful towards me though. With help from them, a new life presents itself and I must then choose whether to take the next step or go back to where I left.

Because I will never be a royal, royal,
    It is not my destiny,
    I just don't see that kind of life for me,
    I crave a different way through the Force,
    To be trained by Luke, of course,
    I will never be a ruler, ruler,
    You can just call me Rey,
    And I'll live, I'll live, I'll live, I'll live,
    Let me live my fantasy.

My friends and I will crack the code, to become the best we can. We will win this war against the evil First Order no matter what. From there, I will find my destiny to be a Jedi. Because I am not rich nor would I ever want to be.

So now I have chosen my next course of action, to train with Luke and become a Jedi. It is neither a glamorous life nor a wealthy one. But, in my own way I will help to restore the galaxy to the way that it is meant to be. One step at a time closer to the edge. I stare at the precipice and look at the emptiness below knowing that I can conquer my fears.

I must be strong to forge ahead and through determination and hard work I will be the best that I can be. I will honor those that have forged this path for me and use my abilities to restore freedom and peace to the galaxy.

Because I will never be a royal,
    It is not my destiny,
    I just don't see that kind of life for me,
    I crave a different way through the Force,
    To be trained by Luke, of course,
    I will never be a ruler, ruler,
    You can call me just Rey,
    And I'll live, I'll live, I'll live, I'll live,
    Let me live my fantasy.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Nice introspection from Rey here—the sentiments of the song fit well with her situation. She's not out for riches or fame; she dreams of something bigger and more meaningful than that, and even her gritty workaday life as a scavenger has never managed to blot that dream out of her soul (and that's one of the things I loved most about the Rey of TFA—that even with her rough-and-tumble life she never became all hardboiled and jaded). Thanks so much for sharing! :)

3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    This is an interesting approach. While I asked people to try and not do songfics, if possible, remixing a song that turned out to be VERY fitting for a major character is a different thing. And you nailed Rey here - the values that Lorde sings about are very similar to what our new heroine is like. And while some of the riches she has not yet seen were abstract, the other, the more concrete ones, are a mix of those that can come true and be real, without the snobbish aspect. And it was interested to see how you pointed that out - especially with the Falcon.

Thanks for taking part in the challenge. You're free to take another number if you want to. :)

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb bit of insight & characterization showing strength and single-minded purpose

AzureAngel2 and RX_Sith like this.
  5. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Your Rey is not royal indeed, but loyal to herself. I think this is one of the important things in life that really counts.

RX_Sith likes this.
  6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    What a great introspection for Rey, it really shows what kind of person she is.
    I loved the change of the lyrics to fit the story, very creative!

I must be strong to forge ahead and through determination and hard work I will be the best that I can be. I will honor those that have forged this path for me and use my abilities to restore freedom and peace to the galaxy.
    I loved this!

AzureAngel2 and RX_Sith like this.