main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I can't actually being myself to watch TV TOS, although Netflix for some reason keeps insisting that I'd like it. :p

Of course, "The Lorax" and "Dr. Horrible" are also on my Netflix recommendation list now, which has probably gotten all ****ed up because I watched Mulan the other day. That list used to be filled with cultured, highly literary British programming and sophisticated foreign language historical period films. :_| Disney you've ruined me!!

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You need to give Dr. Horrible a try, Jello.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I like the style, I'm quite a fan of action packed schlock, but I'm very aware that it's simply not Star Trek at all. As Nick said, it's STINO.

It's actually kinda sad to realize that Star Trek simply doesn't exist anymore. I can imagine this new style sticking around for quite some time, in both movies and television. It might be decades until actual Star Trek comes back.

4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    TNG (from about the second season on) and DS9, at least, are vastly better than anything you'll find in TOS, so you shouldn't have many problems there.
    We shall have to guide you back upon the proper path.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Jello, watch Dr. Horrible right this minute. It's only an hour; no excuses.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've seen the first two episodes of DS9 on Netflix and they seem alright. Kind of weird though, with some religious... stuff. The political angle is already interesting though, hope it stays that way.

Ultimately the biggest problem I have with Trek is the weird uniforms. They're like... leotards. The TOS movies are the only ones where the uniforms looked awesome, and properly military.

I already saw it when it first came out (everyone and their mother insisted that I did). It's weird and has singing and.... stuff. :p

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm a big fan of Whedon's work, which is why I'm sad to say I only liked Dr. Horrible, instead of falling in love with it like everyone else seemed to. I think this might be because I'm a soulless husk that doesn't like musicals (which is kind of strange, considering I've had a lifelong obsession with music; I think it's the fact that most musicals seem so fake, manufactured and dereft of any musical personality).

That said, every scene with Captain Hammer in it was gold.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jello, you know what's on my Netflix recommendation list? My Little Pony. :mad: It's because my kids streamed Garfield and Friends and Phineas and Ferb, but they wouldn't watch schmaltzy ****ing pink ponies either.

9. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It's definitely the most political Star Trek, and my personal favorite of the lot (and referenced in CK2!).

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I did like Captain Hammer, that's true.

LI -- really? CK2 loves its sci fi references then. But yeah when I actually have free time and am not studying until four am every night I'll have to check it out.

I'll have you know I walked into a tree while reading your post :(

But yeah I really do not get the fascination with that crap at all. It scares me. And I'd be afraid to show anybody my Netflix queue if it were in there.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah just ignore that, it is pretty stupid. :p

Very much so and expands in all kinds of directions.

DS 9 later gets these uniforms, which are pretty nice as well.
    [​IMG]

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, that looks much much better than the TNG clone uniforms.

So I'm re-reading Krytos Trap and I guess it's perfect timing because I'm going through the trial and observing how the NR seems to have adopted U.S. hearsay rules wholesale. They've also adopted the rules on leading questions and hostile witnesses, except Nawara kinda sucks at objections because Ettyk was leading Pash for quite a while in his testimony before getting him declared as hostile.

So that means reading SW totally counts as studying... right? RIGHT?

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    "There are already too many characters! I knew who these ones were and now they are dead!"[face_laugh]

(I'll admit I've just started to read the books now and this was exactly my thought watching the series...)

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    The old one or Friendship is Magic? If the latter, give it a try. It's surprisingly intelligent, and far better than most other drek that passe for cartoons these days.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh gods, he's one of THEM!

Oh and before I forget to comment on this... just gotta say that I'd ordinarily tut-tut you guys for getting a president, but then again, anything's better than being ruled by the House of Bernadotte, amirite? :p

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Cool, seeing Murray win at Wimbledon. Not least as he's grown up a lot from the idiot he was a few years back!

Instead, he went to Oliver Reed's Gladiator school and learnt a key lesson:

[​IMG]

"Win the crowd."

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  17. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Name another show (besides Futurama) that uses an equasion on relativity as a chalkboard gag, or has Q from Star Trek show up, basically as himself? Or besides Buffy to have a snobby fashion princess shown to be likable and heroic, not just an antagonist. Or have crazy catchy songs that are more than just jingles?

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Following his completion of his studies at this school, he then sought out the tutelage of Master Lendl....

19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I actually watched a short youtube documentary on the whole Brony movement, just trying to figure it out. It was fairly interesting, but I never did find out what it is that inspires such intense interest. While the show has decent enough writing, from what I've seen, I've always felt that it falls more under "good writing for a My Little Pony show", rather than good writing period. I think it's more a testament to the sad, sad state of American animation (why are the Japanese the only people who seem to see the narrative possibilities the animation medium provides?) that Friendship is Magic can stand out as one of the better written cartoons.

That said, according to the documentary, the show did do a David Bowie reference. And not radio friendly everyone-knows-that Bowie: weird Bowie. That's really cool.

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So when are they going to give the Friendship is Magic treatment to the Rainbow Brite franchise?

21. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    This video, and the urging of a friend, are what got me into watching it.

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ah, the joys of watching HBO's John Adams while housesitting for my folks. Resting on the couch, cool drink in hand, Labrador Retriever laying on the floor next to me. I must confess, after all the stress I have been under at the office lately, this is EXACTLY how I wanted to end my Independence Day weekend. [face_party][face_flag]

--Adm. Nick

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah people should just watch Avatar the Last Air Bender instead if they want good cartoon shows. :)

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    And Archer.

Different kind of cartoon, granted.

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG]
    Somehow this is so silly that I have been laughing for 5 minutes straight :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.