main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren's Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ScorpionJedi, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Cortosis was on Clone Wars, so it's canonized now :)

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    there is a practical purpose. someone slides their lightsaber across anothers saber and cuts their hand off, this crossguard might prevent it

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    A counter attack I would prefer to give up ground giving my opponent a feint advantage we might see the cross guard move in this movie I wonder who would use it ummmmm Leia maybe. :confused:

4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    It was? Which episode?

5. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

I can't say...haven't seen it yet myself, but plenty of people have talked about it in this thread. Cortosis and Mandalorian Iron (both impervious to lightsaber) have been mentioned.

6. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    it seems obvious this new saber belongs to a dark sider. At least to me.

7. 0bi-Wan

0bi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 13, 2001
    Of course there is a practical purpose.

A practical purpose in three stages:

• Create a fad
    • Sell toys
    • Fall into obscurity and parody

8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yes, each and every decision is solely based on selling toys.

The toys would sell if they released (yet again) the same toys that have been around since ANH. The toys would sell if they didn't make a single new design for TFA.

This cynical idea that every new design is purely based on "selling toys" is plain silly.

9. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    The "purpose" of the saber is that it's an ancient one that was made when they were just starting to figure out how to make a lightsaber and the "cross guard" is actually plasma exhaust from the main blade.

Krueger, Darth Malgus and starocean90 like this.
  10. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Which sounds great to me.

Also I seem to remember the original SW back in 77 shifting a few toys, and that film wasn't too shabby.

TK327 likes this.
  11. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
  12. There_Are_Four_Lights

There_Are_Four_Lights Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    Well posted Sarge, thank you. I do think the hilt adds something.

13. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    thats is all i was saying earlier. purists may hate it, but this is not the first time a lightsaber design was altered .

ex:Gantoris

14. DidIAskWhatWasCanon

DidIAskWhatWasCanon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2014
    In his recent video Kaminski opines that the saber is a reflection of the bad guy's personality. A visual indication of a man who values brute power over all else. It's too long. The beam looks crude, as though from an overabundance of energy. The saber is so overloaded that extra energy needs to be drained from the sides. Cosmetic symbolism and internal logic, character-wise.

And foreshadowing? Could this be connected to how he'll meet his end, I've wondered? Valuing power over all else, including self-preservation and common sense?

15. plantje

plantje Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2014
    Okay this is my take on the lightsaber, first lets sum up some presumptions/facts we think/know so far.
    If I get anything wrong please let me know, I am not a die-hard fan that is deep deep into all this but the new teaser trailer made me think, and who doesn't love Star Wars!
    • From the trailer we can see the lightsaber looks older, I am thinking it's a prototype lightsaber(explain later on).
    • It looks unstable(even makes different noise)
    • The lightsaber looks longer than the lightsabers we know.
    • It has a hilt/exhausts vents
    • Its red so probably designed by the dark side
    • Lightsabers use crystals that resonate to make the lightsaber work
    • A crystal needs to imbue the force
    So with the new movie title in mind and what's being told in the tease trailer, we can probably conclude Luke defeated the dark side and that after 30 years the force is return to both dark and light side.
    So here is where my speculation and theory starts. What if a new person discovers the dark side of the force, and is drawn to it. Of course he or she wants a weapon that compliments a force user, but without having a master there is no one to teach the person to create a new lightsaber. A search starts maybe guided by the dark side of the force to look for an old Sith temple or something similar.

In this place the new lightsaber is found, a relic/prototype. An early version maybe doesn't have a perfectly resonating crystal and connection to the force so only has one setting, its power output is unstable and creates a too long lightsaber. To make the blade useful as an offensive weapon the exhaust vents/hilt was created to channel some power away and make the blade shorter. Because the lightsaber doesn't look as solid maybe when the lightsaber is hit by another lightsaber/energy weapon in a duel the blade requires more power. This power can be drawn upon from the exhaust vent part/hilt of the lightsaber to boost the main blade in combat.
    Also as a weapon of the dark side the exhaust vents/hilt creates an object of terror. Winning without a fight is always preferable.

I know it's a different take on things but I am wondering if there are other people thinking the same?

LUH-3417 and Jedi Older Code like this.
  16. Darklighter57

Darklighter57 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 26, 2014
    I'm less interested in the hilt than I am in the sheer length of this saber. It looks huge! It'll be interesting to see how the size of the blade factors into the fight scenes and choreography.

17. There_Are_Four_Lights

There_Are_Four_Lights Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    It's funny, but I always imagined the lightsaber as a survivalist's tool. You could cut wood, start a fire, hunt.

This guy seems all by himself out there, and if he swings the thing, he's felling trees.

18. XAeon

XAeon Jedi Master star 1

Apr 4, 2004
    I get the reasoning behind assuming this "new" saber is old...

I could just as easily see it being newly constructed...

There isn't anything about the hilt or blade that suggests anything conclusively to me other than the saber is an evidently unrefined design.

It does conjure up thoughts of it being under/overpowered and unbalanced.

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  20. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
  21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
  22. The Jaded Irk

The Jaded Irk Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 14, 2014
    Interesting the whisperings about this being an Excalibur-esque weapon...

According to legend Excalibur was given to Arthur by a spirit and is linked to his sovereignty as ruler of Britain.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Vivaine, the Lady of the Lake. She was succeeded by Nimue. At least according to Mallory ("Le Morte D' Arthur"). Supposedly the Scabbard was worth ten of the sword (according to Merlin), because it wouldn't allow the wearer to bleed.

24. The Jaded Irk

Dec 14, 2014
    Could draw some interesting parallels with a smidgeon of imagination... Whichever of the newly awakened Force sensitives gets given "Caliburnus" by a Sith spirit will become heir to that particular tradition...? [face_hypnotized]

I do find it interesting that flaming hilt guards are referenced as early as the 12th or 13th centuries in traditional Welsh literature. Perhaps JJ is a closet Mabinogion fanboi! [face_laugh]

25. The Jaded Irk

Dec 14, 2014

Doesn't she, according to legend, imprison Merlin in the crystal cave for an extended period of time? :confused:

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.