main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to TFA: Lost Stars by Claudia Gray (finally coming to paperback Aug 1!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 8, 2015.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I read it as "Sienna" too, but then I saw where one character said it rhymes with...whatever it was....sounded like Sigh-enna, and for a while I switched to that pronunciation, but then I unintentionally switched back to "Sienna" pretty quickly.

Thane_Kyrell and WebLurker like this.
  2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

I agree and that is why I thought it might work better if they weren't the main characters. Easier to pull that off when you aren't trying to delve into the minds of Thane and Ciena. It has already been established that these two think about eachother a lot. So if they did try to delve into their minds again it wouldn't make sense if they weren't thinking about eachother all the time.

3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Maybe just have the relationship advance to the next level? If the first book was about them wanting to be together, but having life, the universe, and everything keeping them apart, why not do a story where they're together and facing the challenged that ensues?

4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Only problem with that is they still havn't resolved their differences. Ciena is currently locked in a cell in 5ABY still refusing to betray the Empire and go back on her honor.

5. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Okay, that's a starting point, at least (unless the story skips ahead a few years).

6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    There could easily be a story in Thane and Ciena getting together however strugglinh with how the citizens of the new republic treat ex imperials.

Thane: How was your day Ciena?
    Ciena: The shipyard fired me when they found out I used to be imperial
    Thane: Man Kuat always finds out.

7. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Kuat Drive Yards was one of the main suppliers in both old and new canon for the Imperial Navy. They fall squarely into the ex-Imperial camp. Hell, even the First Order's new Resurgent-class ships are built by Kuat-Entralla Engineering, which is a KDY subsidiary. Now InCom on the other hand......

8. Thane_Kyrell

Thane_Kyrell Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2016
    Read my Continuation Story in FanFic section.

Still writing it but a lot is posted.

9. Thane_Kyrell

May 16, 2016

Incom-Fritek builds the X-wing Starfighter.

10. Thane_Kyrell

May 16, 2016
    I wonder if any of the Characters from Lost Stars will show up in either 8 or 9? I only say because Temmin "Snap" Wexley was first introduced in Aftermath and he appeared in the movie so it isn't unreasonable to think they might appear somewhere. But they would be about Luke/Leia's age by now so...

11. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

That's a good question. However, was Snap originally invented for the movie and then Wendig asked to make a kid version of the character, or was the kid Wexley invented first and then the Story Group decided to tie them together?

Also, how would rights work? For example, on Star Trek: Enterprise, the original intent was that the Vulcan character would be a younger version of T'Pau, a character who had been created for the classic episode "Amok Time." However, since the episode's writer's estate would be owed royalties for every single use of the character, the ENT staff chose to create a brand new character, T'Pol, that would be royalty free. (Given T'Pau's depiction in TOS, she probably wouldn't have worked with the backstory of serving on a human ship, esp. since part of the T'Pol character's story arc is how she bonds with the crew, but that's a discussion for another thread.)

12. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010

I could be wrong of course, but I'm pretty sure rights wouldn't be an issue here. I'm pretty sure most/all Star Wars material is done as works for hire, meaning the characters are not owned by the writers at all, and are entirely owned by Lucasfilms so if they wanted to include a character from a book or comic in a film, they wouldn't have to worry about royalties.

13. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    This would be a completely different scenario than that Star Trek one, since LFL owns the rights to everything created with the Star Wars license, they can pretty much use whatever they want from the books and comics in the films and television.

14. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Those kinds of reuse fees are specific to WGA-covered works (TV and movie scripts). Unless there was something in the authors' original contracts granting them those fees (very unlikely), LFL is free and clear to run with stuff.

WebLurker likes this.
  15. Thane_Kyrell

May 16, 2016
    Yeah I recall an interview with Claudia where she says that she sat down with Lucasfilm and they told her they wanted a idealistic woman for the rebellion and the male for the Empire but she suggested the opposite and they approved. So probably she gets a cut from the sale of the books but the characters are Lucasfilm property.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't think tie-in authors get royalties. What we've heard from authors around these parts is that they get a contract and get paid, but nothing subsequent.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

17. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    It depends on the contract. We know from Michael A. Stackpole's comments on his website that the earlier Bantam titles had royalties, but the later ones didn't (though they had a larger advance in return). I don't recall any comments either way on the Del Rey contracts.

18. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    Chuck Wendig humble bragged about the royalties he was getting from Aftermath. Apparently it pays better than any of his previous work.

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Just finished this one, was a lot better than i thought it would be.

20. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    Bloodline was the first novel from the new canon that I read. and I enjoyed it a lot After finishing it, I decided to read Lost Stars next. It was amazing! I just loved all the OT cameos and whatnot - looking at the galactic civil war from a different perspective. I really hope we'll get a sequel.

I was slightly disappointed, and surprised, that Kendy never spoke to Ciena at one point or another. I thought they were quite close and that it would be quite interesting to see them interact, now on opposing sides of the conflict.

I was sure she'd say something when Corona Squadron was spotted on its scouting mission. At the very least, I expected her to stay with Nash aboard the Star Destroyer above Jakku to try talk to Ciena. I guess that would have stolen some of the spotlight from that very crucial and emotional moment between the two main characters.

PS: I hate Nash. I really hate him. Lol. I was quite sure he would join Thane and take up arms against the Empire. I guess his character was meant to show how easy it really is to brainwash people.

21. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I was a little bummed that Ciena never found out Kendy was a Rebel, too; I figured that might happen on the SD at Jakku, but it never came up. Something to be addressed in a sequel, I suppose!

22. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I half expected a love triangle to be developed between Thane, Kendy and Ciena. Kendy could have fancied Thane since the academy but didn't make a move because of Ciena however once he defected to the rebellion.......

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I thought I did remember Kendy saying she had fancied Thane, and it was also obvious that Nash had a thing for Ciena.

24. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Maybe. I recall both Ciena's roommates were giving her a hard time and acting a little surprised that Ciena wasn't interested in Thane (although I was kinda under the impression that she was in denial or didn't realize that they had a point), and Kendy did make a comment along the lines that she might risk breaking fraternization rules over someone like Thane, but I didn't think she was serious (she never made a move during their Rebellion days, for one).

Nash's obsession with Ciena was pretty well docuement. Didn't they at one point establish that it was two-way knife, since Ciena was repulsed by the idea, but his obsession at least blinded him to the fact that she was only going through the motions of her job?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Maybe the sequel could introduce a third character that either Thane or Ciena have strong feelings for.

Ciena: Thane why don't you visit my cell anymore
    Thane: This is hard to say Ciena but I've met someone else.
    Ciena: Look through my eyes!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.