main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Ticket sales outpacing 2014 blockbusters, so it's bound to have an amazing opening weekend:

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Man of Steel has the June opening weekend record with $116 million. Jurassic World can't possibly be any worse than that movie, and also seems to have managed a similar level of hype, so $115 million sounds plausible.

3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Embargo up tomorrow. Will be seeing this either way. Good or bad, atleast a lot of time an effort went into this being a proper sequel.

Plus it's the last best idea for a sequel that this franchise will get. Unless you want to go over board and have Dinosaurs ins New York or something. Which is stupid. Main thing I'm hoping for is the T-Rex to beat the I-Rex to death.

I expect critics to bash all characters save for Pratt and the CGI heavily. Still it could round up to still a higher score. I see this film not gaining anything above a 75% on RT.

4. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

Stranger things have happened: Mad Max Fury Road currently holds a 98% on RT, and that movie had a phallic flamethrower guitar.
    [​IMG]

5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Embargo is already up, over seas, however this hasn't stopped a few sites from putting their reviews up anyway.
    http://elbroide.com/2015/06/09/review-jurassic-world/
    http://pandaschoice.com/2015/06/09/jurassic-world-2015/
    http://www.geekster.be/jurassic-world-the-park-is-open-review/
    (this one was on The National, but got yanked, but I'm posting it anyways because it seems to be the least "F-yeah! Dinosaurs = 10/10!"
    "Twenty-two years after we last visited the dinosaur-infested shores of Isla Nublar in 1993’s Steven Spielberg-directed Jurassic Park (he is an executive producer this time), this weekend finally sees the first cruise ships dock at the now fully functional dinosaur park, and not a lot seems to have changed in 22 years.

The movie, perhaps wisely, chooses to ignore the events of the previous two sequels – 1997’s mediocre The Lost World, and 2001’s critically panned Jurassic Park III, instead choosing to take us back to Nublar (the previous two sequels were set on neighbouring Isla Sorna), more than two decades after the grisly events of the first film.

InGen, the genetics company that created the dinosaurs in the previous movie, has now been absorbed into the Masrati Corporation, headed up by chief executive Simon Masrani (Bollwood sensation-turned Hollywood big hitter Irrfan Khan), and the island now houses the fully functioning dinosaur theme park planned in the first movie, thanks to Masrani’s generous financial support.

This time, however, the geneticists have gone one step further. In response to Masrani’s demand that they create the biggest, most dangerous, “coolest” dinosaur ever, they’ve created a hybrid uber-dinosaur called the Indominus rex. It’s a mix of all the best dinosaurs out there – including, of course, fan favourites T-Rex and velociraptor. To account for missing DNA strands, we learn that the scientists have also thrown in the DNA of cuttlefish and tree frogs. Innocent enough you might think, until you consider the creatures’ attributes. Yes, the uber-dinosaur can change colour for camouflage and change its body temperature to hide from thermal imaging equipment. The scientists have basically bred a giant, bloodthirsty, prehistoric, seemingly indestructible predator.

Things are pretty ominous from Masrani’s first visit to inspect his new creation. Questions like “So she’s intelligent?” and “Is the paddock safe?” often don’t bode well for future happenings in this type of movie. Naturally our shiny new dinosaur escapes and embarks on a rampage, killing everything – human and dinosaur – in her path, as she seeks to establish her new alpha position in the island’s food chain.

The CGI and effects are spectacular. There are moments when the fields of grazing/rampaging dinosaurs veer a little too close to being in a video game, but for the most part they work, and when they work they really work, especially in the closing Godzilla-style, T-Rex vs I-Rex stand off.

Unfortunately, the film knows this, and relies too heavily on stunning special effects at the expense of script and characterisation. The basic premise of “dinosaurs go on the rampage on an island” has clearly been done before – it was called Jurassic Park — and this could easily be a remake, except that the first movie had a set of strong lead characters that pulled you into the story and kept you there. That’s not quite the case this time.

Chris Pratt puts in a solid shift as Owen Grady, a former military man-turned dinosaur trainer, who has improbably developed a Dolittle-like affinity with his herd of velociraptor.

Bryce Dallas Howard is Claire Dearing, the hard-faced park operations manager who refers to the wondrous creations around her as “assets” and loves nothing more than a good chat about focus groups and yearly figures. This is perhaps one reason why the love/hate relationship between Dearing and Grady hasn’t progressed beyond the hate phase in the film’s early stages. Unlikeable though she may be though, she does win credit for successfully fleeing, fighting and evading a multitude of hungry dinosaurs in a pair of four-inch heels that she manages to keep on until the film’s very last scene.

Vincent D’Onofrio is Vic Hoskins, InGen’s boot sergeant-esque head of security, who we learn has nefarious plans to utilise the dinosaurs as a cash cow for the military industrial complex. This is the film’s one attempt at plot intrigue, but it’s broadcast so loudly from Hoskins’ first appearance, and such a well-worn device, that it doesn’t really offer any intrigue at all.

Finally, this being a Spielberg production, some kids have to be caught up in the action, and Dearing’s nephews, played by Ty Simpkins and Nick Robinson, fill that role, teaching her that family and love are more important than spreadsheets and profit margins in the process.

The film won’t win any awards for its script. Neither did its predecessors, even the widely acclaimed first instalment. But it will win awards for its special effects, though, and it will have box offices heaving. Also, it has dinosaurs. Everybody loves dinosaurs, and it’s great fun for two hours. It’s in theatres this weekend, so you’d better join the queue."
    Though, some of them have been pulled already, such as Maxim's review. Regardless, reviews seem to be mostly positive so far, calling it the best of the sequels.
    Eh, they could have just as easily gone with:
    -DX (or some other disease accidentally introduced - it doesn't necessarily have to kill the dinosaurs, but diseases could have been an interesting discussion point)
    -mainland
    -new park ON mainland (so long as it wasn't on Nublar)
    -poaching
    -exploitation via animal testing or similar

Heck, I would have enjoy a new Park plot if it had included any of the following themes:
    -exploitation
    -abuse
    -GMOs
    -accurate dinosaurs
    ^Any one of those are serious 21st Century themes that are very popular to discuss. Just think about how much fuss GMOs alone have made this year.

6. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    Whoever wrote that review that Dinos4Ever quoted needs to realize that the whole, "This one ignores TLW and JP III" rumor is dead wrong.

From an interview with ComingSoon.net as of today:

7. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
  8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Do any of you inside people in the know know if a The Force Awakens trailer will be attached to this, or is that just limited to Disney stuff at this time?
    "Unless you want to go overboard and have Dinosaurs in New York or something." Until I accidentally saw a picture of the "Jurassic World" sign months ago, I thought the title was referring to dinosaurs somehow out in the world wrecking havoc in ecosystems and terrorizing people all over. As for bashing the cast, that's a shame because I like a lot of the actors in this, like Judy Greer and Nick Robinson from The Kings of Summer and Melissa and Joey. But this isn't the kind of movie where they would use their strengths.

9. beezel26

May 11, 2003
  10. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    The previous sequels have absolutely no bearing on the plot. The events in 1997, the San Diego Incident, all those deaths, nor the escape of the Pteranodon are going to go completely unacknowledged in Jurassic World. The only places they've been discussed are the supplementary material provided by the viral sites. For all intents and purposes, this film is ignoring TLW and JP///. It's not going to address those movies. They're not decanonized, but nor are they going to be mentioned.

11. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    apparently over at The JP Legacy Message Boards we are speculating that the entire Embargo was lifted at midnight last night. Maxim Magazine gave a very positive review most of the reviews so far have been positive, Isn't Maxim Magazine an American Magazine?

12. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    Yes. Also Sickle_Claw is having a "Prequel moment" over Twitter. "14 years of my life gone to THIS?!"
    [​IMG]

13. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I just went and checked out his twitter. If he's for real, it seems like he actually liked it (gave it a 7.5/10). He also seems like someone with massive, massive expectations from that "years of my life" comment. Where'd you find the "prequel moment" comment, or was that your own description?

14. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    That was my own comment, since that's pretty much exactly what happened with fans during TPM, where afters years of waiting, they come out of the theaters as "I waited years for THIS?!"

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Where can they go after this one?

16. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    DX. poaching, mainland, GMOs,... frankly... a lot of places.

Also, the CinemaBlend review, while posted, doesn't actually have the content available through the site yet. However, through Google, you can see that they rate it 7/10 and say, "While not exceptional, Jurassic World satisfies as a fun summer blockbuster that will get audiences excited to see dinosaurs on the big screen again."

17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Two words; Jurassic--Universe.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Jurassic Leap.

Wait, actually, I'd watch the hell out of that.

19. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    JURASSIC BONES

20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

That was used in Meet The Robinsons. The dinosaur: "I have a big head and little arms. I'm not sure how much thought went into this plan." :p

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Looks like the reviews will be just good enough to be irrelevant to this weekend's box office. It may fall out below 60% on RT, but that probably won't matter. Bad word of mouth may kill it off quickly. Family audiences may steer away from this and shoot for Inside Out next weekend.

22. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    That goes completely against what Trevorrow says, though.

So it seems to be mentioned for at least a moment of the film. Spielberg isn't going to allow anyone to ignore the events of films that he helped create; you would think some of these folks who desperately want that to happen would realize that.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    IGN's review was glowing.

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Current stats on RT:
    68%
    Average Rating: 6.8/10
    Reviews Counted: 30
    Fresh: 20
    Rotten: 10

25. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i've only watched the first one all the way through, and i'm not a huge dinosaur film fan, but i'm almost thinking of seeing this one.