main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Letting go of Yesterday - L/M one shot - Victorian Quote Response; ~author thanks~.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: Letting Go of Yesterday
    Author: Jade eyes
    Timeframe: Post TTT
    Characters: Luke/Mara
    Genre: Drama
    Disclaimer: Borrowing, with love.

Summary: On the eve of their first child?s birth, Mara starts having dreams which are memories/flashbacks of a lost past. Luke offers to help her probe for these more deeply. She wrestles with this decision and its implications ? discovering the past truths of her lost family versus trying and failing or not trying at all ? and her perceptions of Palpatine and her past life. She grapples with how all of this fits into her definition of self and what she can bring to being a wife and mother.

A/N: In response to the marvy Victorian Quote Roulette: :D Mine was:
    34. "The whole series of my life appeared to me as a dream; I sometimes doubted if indeed it were all true, for it never presented itself to my mind with the force of reality."
    ~ Mary Shelley, ?Frankenstein?

~~~~~!!!!!!!!!

The joy of impending parenthood was marred by flashes of memory and dreams. A lovely elegant woman and a man with laughing green eyes playing with what Mara believed must have been a very young version of herself on a golden beach under a very blue sky ... The turmoil of fear quickly hidden ... A mad dash through the night ... A rapid hail of blasterfire ... And her mother's cries and her father's angry remonstrances.

These scenes played through her mind at odd moments through the day and during the night in wisps of almost-dreams.

And then, of all things, memories of Palpatine started sneaking into the mix. Perceptions and misconceptions of her true purpose back then had definitely skewed her ability to trust and be a real friend for quite some time after even the removal of the last invidious command. She sometimes had wondered what she knew of friendship, then later of love -- and now of motherhood.

When she had been plagued by dreams before, it had been a daunting experience. The whole series of her life appeared to Mara as a dream; she sometimes doubted if indeed it were all true, for it never presented itself to her mind with the force of reality.

These thoughts and images now left her feeling distraught and out of sorts. What could it all mean? Was there an underlying message? It was very disconcerting, and naturally Luke picked up on it but hesitated to bring it up until she did.

He knew she eventually would: she was too outspoken and straightforward to avoid anything that needed doing or saying hidden.

When Luke told her he had had to let go of a lot of guilt over his choices and self-doubts about whether he was qualified to lead the Jedi and that he too wondered what sort of dad he'd make, she had a lot to mull over.

He then asked her if she wanted to delve more deeply to see if she could dredge up more about her parents and early childhood.

She pondered that but decided it would come when it did and that today and tomorrow, even if shaped by the past, would no longer be tyrannized by it.

She decided she would do what Luke was so good at: enjoy today and embrace tomorrow, and let go of yesterday, save for the lessons it brought.

++++++

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    My brain is too fried right now to actually make an intelligent response, so I will just say :D[:D]=D=

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    A lovely look at Mara. :) Love the end - "She decided she would do what Luke was so good at: enjoy today and embrace tomorrow, and let go of yesterday, save for the lessons it brought." Awww! [face_love]

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved that little insight in Mara's life=D==D=

5. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I actually know nothing about Mara's life before Palpatine. So it was nice to see a tiny little glimpse of a happy time as a child at the beginning there.

"She decided she would do what Luke was so good at: enjoy today and embrace tomorrow, and let go of yesterday, save for the lessons it brought."

This was lovely.

=D=

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I loved the soft, reflected feel you gave to Mara's thoughts when writing this. While reading, I could imagine her whispering as she sorted through her mind's turbulence as she read, as odd as that sounds. [face_love]

I enjoyed the look of her very early life - parents that adored her, and then her skewered time as Palpatine's hand. Her understandings that she needed to move on - all with a certain someone's help [face_mischief] - were a touching, vivid conclusion that was perfectly reached within your prose!

He then asked her if she wanted to delve more deeply to see if she could dredge up more about her parents and early childhood.

She pondered that but decided it would come when it did and that today and tomorrow, even if shaped by the past, would no longer be tyrannized by it.

I liked the whole premise of this: of her supressed memories coming through dreams as motherhood impended. [face_thinking] I adored how Luke offered to help her let the memories come - and that route, or the natural way of letting them resurface is a fascinating idea for me. I'd love to see either scenario further explored! :D

And then the last line:

She decided she would do what Luke was so good at: enjoy today and embrace tomorrow, and let go of yesterday, save for the lessons it brought.

Perfect. =D=

[:D]

~MJ @};-

7. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    A lovely elegant woman and a man with laughing green eyes playing with what Mara believed must have been a very young version of herself on a golden beach under a very blue sky ... The turmoil of fear quickly hidden ... A mad dash through the night ... A rapid hail of blasterfire ... And her mother's cries and her father's angry remonstrances.
    Great visual

Lovely response. :)

8. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    Very nice, friend!! I love the way you embodied your quote! I can see this happening...significant life events bring up all sorts of memories! And I really love the last line, so poetic! It could be a quote to write a viggie off of itself! =)

Huggles,
    [face_good_luck] Irish

9. Kailene

Kailene Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2009
    Lovely response, Jade ! [face_love]

I loved the look into Mara's early life. I especially loved the last line.

Great Job!

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    :* and @};- for the sweet reviews.

I always figured Mara would have some transient type memories [face_thinking] and that the issue of whether to probe them or not would come up in a future context and figured the birth of a child could bring it to the fore.

[face_thinking]

I love the optimistic embrace the moment philosophy and feel Luke would be stellar at it and Mara would absorb that lovely lesson from him.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.