main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Master Filmmaking Team announced! JJ now writing the script

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    http://starwars.com/news/master-filmmaking-team-announced-for-star-wars.html

As Episode VII continues pre-production, Lawrence Kasdan and director J.J. Abrams have assumed screenwriting duties for the film. Kasdan, who has been serving as a consultant on the film, is a veteran of several classic Lucasfilm productions, writing the screenplay for Raiders of the Lost Ark and serving as co-screenwriter for The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Acclaimed director and screenwriter Abrams' credits include Super 8, Mission: Impossible III, Fringe, and Lost.
    "I am very excited about the story we have in place and thrilled to have Larry and J.J. working on the script," states Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy. "There are very few people who fundamentally understand the way a Star Wars story works like Larry, and it is nothing short of incredible to have him even more deeply involved in its return to the big screen. J.J. of course is an incredible storyteller in his own right. Michael Arndt has done a terrific job bringing us to this point and we have an amazing filmmaking and design team in place already prepping for production."
    Location scouting, production design, casting, and costume design are already underway on Episode VII. A team of gifted artists are working to bring the latest installment of the Star Wars saga, including director of photography Dan Mindel (Mission: Impossible III, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness), production designers Rick Carter (Lincoln, Avatar, Forrest Gump) and Darren Gilford (Oblivion, TRON: Legacy), costume designer Michael Kaplan (Star Trek Into Darkness, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Fight Club),special effects supervisor Chris Corbould (Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception), sound designer Ben Burtt (Lincoln, Wall-E, Star Wars: Episodes I-VI), re-recording mixer Gary Rydstrom (Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Toy Story, Mission: Impossible -Ghost Protocol), supervising sound editor Matthew Wood (Star Trek Into Darkness, The Master, There Will Be Blood) of Skywalker Sound, and visual effects supervisor Roger Guyett (Star Trek Into Darkness, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith) of Industrial Light & Magic. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, with Tommy Harper (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Jack Ryan, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds) serving as executive producers. John Williams is returning to score Star Wars: Episode VII.
    Shooting is scheduled to begin Spring 2014 at Pinewood Studios for an expected 2015 release.

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    News! Finally News!

3. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    So, Arndt is out? Perhaps that is the cause of the delay to a spring shoot.

Krueger and Diggs like this.
  4. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    Yep people wanted news. Now you got it.

No It saying his part is done and now JJ Abrams and his staff is taking over the remaining part.

Darth_Articulate and Corax78 like this.
  5. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Is it only my nipples that are hard that Kasdan is on the screenplay now?

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So does that mean Michael Arndt is no longer on the writing team and that Kasdan and Abrams have taken over for him? If so I wonder what that means for him possibly returning for Episode VIII and IX? I was hoping he'd script the entire trilogy. :(

7. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    "There are very few people who fundamentally understand the way a Star Wars story works like Larry, and it is nothing short of incredible to have him even more deeply involved in its return to the big screen. J.J. of course is an incredible storyteller in his own right. Michael Arndt has done a terrific job bringing us to this point and we have an amazing filmmaking and design team in place already prepping for production."

8. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    That is what it sounds like. It is probably the reason for the delay in the start of shooting. He must not have been bringing a good vision. The fact that Kasdan is now on this as a writer and not just an advisor makes me VERY happy.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yay, news! [face_dancing]

I am absolutely thrilled that Kasdan has been brought on to do the screenplay. I know there was speculation that he would be used for possibly the spin-offs or Episode VIII-IX, but to have him onboard for VII is a real treat.

Also, I find it interesting that the shooting date has been pushed back to the Spring rather than Jan-Feb.

10. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya though I do love Ardnt too bad he was not seeing as eye to eye. But with Kasdan there I feel fine.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  11. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    Borys Kit@Borys_Kit 7m
    breaking Star Wars news: Michael Arnt is no longer writing the script for Ep. 7 Now it's Lawrence Kasdan and JJ.

12. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    Looks like we wont see VII untill late 2015 now. From the looks of it.

13. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Finally news. So Arndt is out, and that is fine. I feel better that J.J, the man who will be all Star Wars overlord should be the main person. Kasdan is a power person to have aboard, as well.

I would like to see them bring Oscar writing talent aboard as writing consultants from now on, however. But, I doubt they will.

14. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    So Devin was right......and a December release it will be.

The story was indeed a problem, that's why all the actors who went for an audition told the reporters "I'm not even sure if they know in which direction they will be going".

In some regards, it's a bad news since they wasted a year.

Dewback and Momotaros like this.
  15. Erevador

Erevador Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 10, 2013
    I'm very okay with this. Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine were good... but come on, I put my ultimate faith in the man who wrote Raiders and Empire Strikes Back.

16. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Dont call this news whats so ever, we know all of this.I want characters and timeline and maybe some pre productions drawings.

17. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Pushing shooting back 3 or so months is not exactly a year wasted. But speculate on!

18. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    You don't call a rewrite of a script news?

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Arndt was the Oscar winning talent aboard. I love Kasdan and I have confidence in Abrams but I'm a bit disappointed that Arndt is out. As to the Spring shooting schedule, did they ever actually confirm that they were starting in February. The only thing I remember hearing about it was early 2014 and Spring would still fall under that.

20. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Hmm...this makes me wonder why they didn't go with Arndt's script. I hope its not cause the script was bad but instead cause they just wanted Kasdan to go polish it up before its done.
    Now we should all be calm and not start panicking with the "OH NO THIS MOVIE IS DOOMED!"
    [​IMG]

21. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    How can we be OKAY with all this.

The project has been flip-flopping for a year !

I'm not even sure that Hamill, Ford, Fisher are a given at this point.....everything is up in the air.......and this move means that we are getting away from Lucas' vision (which might be a good thing or not).

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  22. Momotaros

Aug 13, 2013
    Or Lucas and Arnt couldn't get along. So they removed Arnt. Remeber we heard Lucas was sticking his head into the movie a lot again from his son.

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    From the writers of Armageddon and Dreamcatcher

24. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    I love JJ....but he signed for the project in January 2012......they have not started shooting the movie 365 days later......while a Arndt was already working on the script...

Somewhere....a year has been wasted..

VMeran, FRAGWAGON, dolphin and 6 others like this.
  25. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Great news.

Two observations:

1. Michael Arndt's contribution seems to have come to a close. He has contributed the general screenplay and Abrams and Kasdan are probably tightening it up.

2. At present there is only ONE visual effects supervisor (Roger Guyet). At this stage with Episodes 1-3 John Knoll was involved (from concept and script production so he could start getting things together for the new leaps in special effects requirements). Of course there could be more visual effects supervisors at a later stage but I would have expected John Knoll to be involved at the beginning. He did a marvellous job with the PT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.