main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I like most of its design. The only thing I dont like are the forward-protruding nacelles.

But it already has more personality than the JJprise.

2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    It's like they've seen Star Wars reusing a lot of McQuarrie's old stuff and thought they'd get in on the action, forgetting that his Star Wars work was actually good.

ShaneP likes this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

All of those later ships really from First Contact on were too sleek and edgy. I liked Roddenberry's idea behind the original TNG D but then they had to go blow it up in the first damn movie.

Mustafar_66, McQuarrie's BSG stuff and other works from this time was superior to his Trek stuff IMO. It just didn't fit for whatever reason.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The ship is going to take some getting used to. I was really hoping for an Enterprise-- a Next Next Generation series-- and the registry number would denote a pre-TOS era which I wouldn't be terribly happy about.

And I don't see why we need a dedicated thread. I don't want the Trek threads to be the same as the superhero threads. This thread should be fine. What else would we talk about in here?

BigAl6ft6, Darth_Invidious and ShaneP like this.
  5. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Yeah, not a fan of it either. But still, the time period is what really bugs me (considering it is true). I think setting the show in the pre-TOS era is limiting the story potential. Post-Nemesis would have been much better, because they could have built the series on everything that came before while at the same time introducing new stuff. They don't have this freedom in the pre-TOS-era.

Darth Caliban and ShaneP like this.
  6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    The saucer section looks like a roulette wheel to me, and the music makes it sound like we're looking at a rather dark series.

But, since I really know nothing else about this, this means very little. I'll wait and see what develops.

ShaneP likes this.
  7. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Fingers crossed for lots of bottle episodes...

8. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Strange. They took down the teaser for Star Trek: Discovery. Why did they put it on the internet on the first place?

Also, I've read that the registry number doesn't necessarily have to mean anything. The USS Yamato NCC-1305 had also a lower number than 1701, although it was a TNG-era Galaxy-class starship. But I'm still worried....

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

From the angle given it looks like a Klingon battlecruiser combined with a Federation ship.

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    You know….this is Paramount and Star Trek we are talking about.

BigAl6ft6 and jabberwalkie like this.
  11. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    I read the teaser is now only available in the US. Guys, you're not the only ones on this planet. :rolleyes:

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    They're usually roughly chronological in the TNG era, with few exceptions (seemingly mistakes).

13. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    It looks like a hi-tek exhaust fan attached to a flying V electric guitar! I like it!

14. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
  15. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I'm genuinely still stunned at how ugly it is. I'm not a huge fan of the TOS Enterprise (much prefer the refit), but from a design POV I can appreciate the aesthetics. This just fails from a design perspective.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This is the general franchise discussion thread- a separate thread, like with the movies, allows people to discuss things without encountering constant Discovery spoilers (especially given the limited access to the series). It also avoids general inquiries/topics from getting drowned out by new series discussion.

I simply didn't want to hog the thread posting, so I offered it up now that we have enough em info to begin sustaining a thread.

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    If it's each season set in a different era or something, I could see a pre-TOS season working and different Discovery designs with letters added to the registry. But I don't want it stuck in the "past" like the Enterprise series.

It will be on Netflix in 180+ countries. Really, it's only limited in the U.S. and Canada thanks to CBS banishing it to their likely-to-fail streaming platform.

Spoilers might be an issue, but the JCC isn't busy enough to warrant separate threads. It's just clutter.

ShaneP likes this.
  18. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Bryan Fuller already debunked the rumours of it being an anthology series though. He also debunked the pre-TUC/post-TNG rumour.

19. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    Wow. Never expected to see the Planet of the Titans ship on screen.* It's utilitarian and not beautiful and not a backported Akira or whatever. Awesome.

*Then again, it was apparently at Wolf 359.
    [​IMG]
    And spacedock.
    [​IMG]

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Unfortunately, that didn't invoke much enthusiasm. Combined with the limited access, it is increasingly becoming a very tough sell.

I thought Fuller shot down the idea that Discovery was an anthology series.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Trek discussion has been busy enough to sustain 2+ threads without any Discovery info. It's more user friendly to keep the discussions easier to find & navigate.

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh well, it did seem implausible for it to be an anthology given the production costs that would involve.
    I'm of the opinion that the insane amount of threads dedicated to three superhero universes isn't "user friendly" at all and I don't want the same discussions being spread out over multiple threads. And why do we need "user friendly" in an established community with a very limited flow of new users?

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    slidewhistle, I don't want ugly utilitarian. I want beautiful utopian utilitarian.

It's a flying hubcap.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/comic-con-star-trek-reveals-913898

The video link here should work and yep it looks rather odd to say the least.
    On a more positive side that new Star Trek Movie thing I just watched was better than I would ever have expected. Sure it still had issues, like the majorly disappointing end fight, but all in all, it was miles better that the last two, so I would rate it a 7/10, unlike the others which were a 3 and 4 at best.

25. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    I still have to see Beyond. American critics seem to like it, German critics here are rather mixed, mostly because of too much action it seems.
    I'm too busy to watch Beyond in the cinema. I probably have to wait until the Blu-Ray is out.

But besides my scepticism about Discovery, I'm still glad that it's set in the prime timeline.