main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Official "Fantastic Four" Reboot(s) Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Moviefan2k4, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    But it's not. Sure the Ultimate Fantastic Four version might be, but look at almost every other version of Ben from the comics and what you see is that while he might be a bit bigger and more athletic than the others, his transformation into Thing involves more than just his skin turning into rock, but mass and 'muscle' gain also.

So just like a choice can be made that you don't have to have an iconic character be 5'6" but instead played by someone who is 6'2" because you will get a better portrayal of the character at the heart of the role, you can do the same in having a 5'7" actor with a decently good musculature play a character that for the majority of a film will be CGI anyway.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

He's always been a big dude:

[​IMG]

Seriously, I am familiar with the 616 Grimm. It was the Ultimate one I wasn't and someone said he might be that, but that guy's huge too. Ben Grimm's a big dude. He doesn't have to be a wrestler, but even working out won't get him from this:

[​IMG]

EDIT: Plus, he should be Jewish! JEWISH!!! (Though I loved Chiklis!)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I bet he doesn't even have an Aunt Petunia.

4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Wasn't Ben Grimm a QB? I mean, he's got to be athletic, that's a given, but that doesn't mean he's got to basically be The Thing-Except-With-Skin.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    To be fair, that is a different character taking up the title, not changing Carol Danvers' ethnicity.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Chiklis's Thing was one of the few good....things about that movie.

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

True. And Ultimate Spidey has Miles. And if Sony wants to do a Spider-Man movie with Miles in the mask, all for it. He's a great established character. And I would throw a fit if Sony did a Spider-Man with Miles and cast a white actor as I'm sure many fans would.

But what Fox is doing to Fantastic Four doesn't work. At least Spidey-even if he were Peter Parker and not Miles, would work. Here though, when one of the key elements of the Fantastic Four is family and when they are known as Marvel's first family, why add unnecessary complications? It's one thing if this had been a hit franchise. But this one is practically dead on arrival thanks to the cast and alleged plot. And it's fine to change some characters if it can work: Ben or Doom or Reid would all be fine and I can think of several excellent actors who could fill those roles. But if you change one Storm sibling, you should change the other. I'd have had more respect for Fox if Sue was portrayed by a black actress. The Flash producers are doing that with the West family for the new show. At least they are consistent.

But speaking of changing them, if that terrible plot summary is true, it sounds like Fox is making the Storm siblings into mutants. I have to wonder how much further they can go before they completely become new characters that just happen to have the same name and powers as the 616/Ultimate characters. At what point do they do enough damage to a character that Marvel can legally intervene I wonder. Would Doom becoming a woman do that? Would the Storm siblings becoming mutants do it? I have to assume not, otherwise Marvel would have intervened long before now. Which makes me worry how much they can damage even more characters under the FF banner.

Taking Sue and Johnny only: They are now either half siblings or Johnny is adopted (though it'd be interesting if SUE was the adopted one..), Possibly mutants since they are not included in the 'accident' Reed and Ben suffer. And seriously how hard is it to follow the origin. The 90s theme song did it in the first line of the credits: On an outer-space adventure, they got hit by cosmic rays. And the four would change forever. In some most fantastic ways.

Instead, we likely have an accident not of space origin:

And only two are affected while the other two come in later. I don't even want to know how Doom fits into all of this. It was bad enough when they crammed him into the station in the first movie.

Jedi Merkurian and lbr789 like this.
  8. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I mean...

Like, okay, Sue should be a black or biracial actress in this iteration, I agree with that, but I do not see why casting to increase diversity is a bad thing.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a new, realistic take on the Torch's powers.

Clearly, Johnny Storm is white- he's just very badly burned.

#grimdark

;)

Yodaminch and Darth-Lando like this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    People do realize that it's possible for blood siblings to have different skin colors, right? In fact, just google sibling pairs where one is black and one is white. It's not uncommon.

11. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    That's a fair point. But doesn't that happen very rarely?

And dp, can you tell by looking at a guy that he's Jewish?

12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    skin colour shouldn't matter but it still does to a lot of people.

In some cases, yes, you can't change a character's ethnic background without fundamentally altering the character. This isn't really one of those cases.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  13. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    To have a very dramatic difference in skin tone between full-blood siblings, the dominance of whatever gene controls melanin amount would have to be much higher in one child versus the other. Most times, it seems like a fairly even split, which is where the so-called "mixed tone" comes from, like with Mariah Carey. An example of higher dominance in this regard would be Paula Patton, whose father is African-American while Paula's mother is white.

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Are we talking genetics now?

[​IMG]

Violent Violet Menace and Ramza like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Paula Patton was Hispanic as well?

16. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Can't we just have a white Human Torch? Is this black torch going to be the new Captain America in the future?

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Sometimes. But no, I'm just making fun of Hollywood with my complaints for the most part, not to be taken seriously.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Obviously yes.

19. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Les enfants terrible!

20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

No.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Hugh Jackman is taller and is younger than Wolverine in the comics and he managed to do okay in the role.

There's a basis for it.

[​IMG]

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Snake what are you doing? Snake? SNNNNAAAAAAAAKE

23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Once compared to the cast, the Doom rumor and the alleged plot, Johnny is pretty much the least interesting change they've made. I'm far more concerned about the cast and plot. There are plenty of times where changing a character works: Nick Fury, Heimdall, Kingpin, Electro, Alicia in the first FF series. But this one just adds an extra layer not needed if you're trying to relaunch a failed franchise. Also not wild about a Johnny Storm that is the same age as Reed. A huge part of the FF is Johnny is the young hot head. The immature kid of the group where Reed, Sue and Ben were all older, making it a bit more difficult to relate to Johnny's antics. Kate Mara is the oldest at 30. The other three are all 27 though frankly Teller looks younger than Jordan. Even with Ultimate FF, Johnny was still the kid of the group with Reed and Sue accomplished science prodigies with several doctorates between them. Sure, I suppose that would still be possible if Reed keeps his intelligence. And no issue with Ben and Reed as the same age. They should be. Also not really an issue with Sue being a little older than Reed. But an aspect of Johnny being the youngest is gone. It's not exactly crucial, but it is yet another part of the character that is changed.

Jedi Merkurian and dp4m like this.
  24. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Nope; just mixed from African and European.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Is this coming out in 2015 as well? Oh dear.