main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph On Earth, Everyone Can Hear You Scream: The Prometheus / Alien Discussion Thread (Romulus)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Whitey, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Agree with Darth_Lobot about the film.

Although the newest TV spots playing "Take Me Home, Country Roads" I can't wrap my head around. "Hurt" in the Logan trailer was amazing but having the John Denver song in this trailer totally failed to me. I know the new craze is to have these classic songs in trailers (Logan, Thor: Ragnarok) but this one was a big miss. Might have to do playing this song anywhere outside of Mountaineer Stadium is alittle weird.

2. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I didn't find that film badly made though, it looked superb(bar perhaps Guy Peace's age makeup) and didn't really feature any poor acting performances. To me its just another demonstration that Scott post Blade Runner has always been rather at the mercy of his script and here he was giving a bit of a stinker with Lindelof serving up a typically confused mess. At least Abrams could cover this a bit by keeping the pace so fast it was harder to notice but Scotts slower style made it more obvious.

3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    It doesn't help when half the film is cut out. And without the blu-rays deleted scenes you haven't got a chance of understanding.

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Most reviews so far are positive. Perhaps it would be better if you provided at least one link for a mixed review and a positive one as well? Because you aren't being objective here.

Here's a link with more info on the reviews from around the web (including positive, mixed and negative ones):
    http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2017/05/07/alien-covenant-reviews-roundup/

Most important takeaway for every movie: see the movie first and judge for yourself.

6. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Hey I didn't write the piece. I saw it and I posted it. Perfectly objective.

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    LIAR! This is all your fault!

8. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I didn't mean about the io9 article. I meant about the point you made in your post that the movie is bad based on that one review only. The current consensus is largely positive (of course, it can change in the following weeks). But, perhaps you weren't aware of other reviews, which was fine.

9. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I was paraphrasing the article. For fun. I don't actually care if it's true or not. I trust that people are perfectly capable of, as you say, judging for themselves.

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    spicer how much of your own money did you invest in Covenant?

11. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Ok fair enough.
    None. I plan to "invest" in a single cinema ticket in 10 days however.

SuperWatto likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    RT score is at 77% so far. Says the consensus is sort of a good-but-doesn't-bring-anything-new type scenario.

13. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Yes that is where the disappointment comes from. People want so badly for another great movie in this franchise. It was hyped up by the studio with all the trailers, and I also think the success of the last video game Alien:Isolation also got some peoples hopes up that Alien:Covenant would be great too.

14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I just watched Prometheus started it last night after the Yankees game and finished it this morning after the kids went to school. I cant believe the Media hated Prometheus I loved It, Idris Elba was really good In this and the rest of the cast did good as well! It had a really good story, I really like Ancient Alien Stories as it is, probably why I liked Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Scull! It also had lots of Practical Effects and great gross out scenes like a good horror film should have and scenes that make you jump! I loved the inclusion of the xenomorph alien In the Last scene! I cant wait for Alien Covenant If It Is just as good as Prometheus or better I think we will be in for a treat! Ridley Scott Is a Great Director, I love Gladiator and Kingdom Of Heaven as well and cant wait for the new Blade Runner even though Ridley Is only producing the new Blade Runner it still looks fantastic!

Back In the day most people on here said don't listen to the critics Prometheus is great, very underrated go see it you will love it! That Is why I rented It In the first place and I am glad I did!

rumsmuggler, BigAl6ft6 and spicer like this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    io9 didn't like this, but other reviews are at least back-handedly complimenting with "It's much better than Prometheus"...

16. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

75% on rotten tomatoes, that's pretty good!

17. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

Did you watch the deleted scenes from the bluray for the missing parts of the film? Prometheus really needs a proper director's cut version, maybe one day Scott will change his mind and make it. I can wish.

spicer likes this.
  18. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I'm all for a director's cut for Prometheus, as I feel that some of the issues people have with that movie will be resolved that way.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The "director's cut" of Prometheus involves the Engineers wanting to destroy Earth because they killed Jesus Christ (an Engineer).

yeah...

20. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I have seen the scenes on youtube, but have yet to watch my Blu-Ray version, just the Digital copy on Vudu, I saw the movie years ago but this last view was my second view, I also love the Martian with Matt Damon another great Ridley Scott movie with a great soundtrack!

21. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    As far as I know, that was only a (stupid) suggestion as to why the Engineers wanted to destroy Earth, but was never filmed. Also, having the Prometheus Blu-ray, I can confirm that there isn't a deleted scene that even hints at the entire "Jesus was an Engineer" explanation. So unless Ridley decides to film several scenes from scratch that deal with this, I can't see how that would be in a director's cut.

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The Christ was an Engineer idea came from interviews Ridley gave where he speculated further but he never said anything along those lines was ever shot.

Covenant just looks like more of the same to me.

spicer likes this.
  23. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    io9 isn't lining up with the rest of the reviews published so far. The "backloaded action" bit in particular hasn't been repeated by anyone else.

24. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

what's io9? I get my reviews from Rotten Tomatoes and its up to 75% which is pretty good!

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

io9 is a website/blogowhatever.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.