main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph In Town With a Few Days to Kill: The Prey-dator Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I really hope that remains just behind the scenes shenanigans and doesn't make it to the film, as that photo illustrates the potential cheesiness.

Either way, I'll end up watching this film one way or another like the previous Predator related films.

2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Sorry to break the news, but the script was leaked and that is legit.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  4. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I just saw the trailer for this. I'm so sick of hearing people say lines about information being above someone's "pay grade," especially as trailer fodder. Enough.

5. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    That's where you draw the line?

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The whole plot of Lex teaming up with Scar was borrowed from the first mini-series, only with a different character named Machiko. She would later join up with the Predators after it was all over and trained with them until she turns on them in a later storyline. Then both the Predators and the Colonial Marines team up against a rogue clan of Predators who have trained the Aliens to be their hunting dogs. "Batman vs Predator 2" has two Predators chasing after a rogue Predator who is going after Batman. The rogue kills one of the Predators and the other sacrifices his life to destroy the rogue's ship. "Superman/Batman vs Aliens/Predator" features the "World's Finest" team working to help a group of stranded Predators get back to their home world, while battling a number of Aliens. There were also a series of stories involving the characters from "Witchblade" and "The Darkness" encountering both creatures. I'm not sure if they teamed with the Predators or not.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I really wish I was feeling this. A Shane Black written/directed Predator film sounded like an absolute slam dunk on paper, but this new trailer doesn't encourage me much more than the first teaser did.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm sure Fox is cutting the Shane Black quirkness way down in the ads and going more for action sci-fi monster horror which, even if you're as idiosyncratic as a filmmaker as Shane Black, making a Predator movie it's pretty easy to make that type of trailer despite what the tone actually is

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  9. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Just saw that they reshot the entire 3rd act and the friendlys have been cut. [face_dancing]

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Reshoot Details.

One film which went through some notable reshoots this year was Shane Black’s “The Predator”. Following an early test screening, several weeks of reshoots were ordered with a large amount of the third act getting retooled due to test audience confusion over the film’s tone.

The new ‘Predator’ follows a group of disturbed war veterans who face off against the titular hunters in a small town. As government scientists get involved, its revealed the creatures have been upgrading themselves with new abilities from every planet they hunt on.

Now it has been revealed that the film is both undergoing a 3D post-conversion, and will additionally incorporate several ties to previous movies in the series. AVP Galaxy broke the story saying Olivia Munn’s scientist character will see some grainy photos from the first two “Predator” movies while props like the “Predator 2” spear and Lex’s alien tail spear from “Alien vs. Predator” will also show up.

Sources for the site also say that ‘friendly’ Predators seen in set photos have been completely cut from the film, as has an entire APC sequence, and other hybrid creatures. Death sequences involving the more prominent characters have also been changed up.

That actually seems somewhat promising- Fox must have some confidence in the film if they're willing to invest in a large 3rd act reshoot and pay for 3D conversion. At the very least, it indicates that we're not looking at a total disaster here, as you'll recall Fox actually cancelled the 3D conversion for Fantasic 4. So they're not just dumping it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  11. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I didn't like the look of the Teaser It just looked really cheesy. But after seeing the first full trailer for this I am super stoked It looks like it is on a level with the original and dare I say the best Predator movie since the original! I know different film but same realm I really Liked Prometheus and Alien Covenant and Blade Runner 2049 and I know different film but same Director as Alien Ridley Scott I really liked The Martian. I think you could put all those moves together somehow...

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It has been a longtime fan theory that you could connect the BR & Alien films into a Ridleyverse of sorts (even Ridley has paid some lip service to it), as there are shared UI screens in technology and a couple easter eggs thrown back and forth between the two franchises referencing the rival corporations.

However, if one further adds in the Predator films (with or without AVP), this new movie is the first to actually disprove that connection, as the setting (2018) intrudes upon the timeline of events in Blade Runner- and there is no evidence of the Earth being in either state of decay shown in the BR future, nor the advancement of technology to the point of BR (Spinners, off world colonies, synthetics, etc) let alone the beginnings of said technology degrading; and I think it's fair to say one shouldn't expect any such connections in the film.

More details on the reshoots:

Of course what was reshot in the third act is the big question fans have been wondering and Black revealed that there was one simple but major change – the time of day. He tells the mag (via AvP Galaxy): “The first time we shot the third act it was daytime. It’s all this spooky stuff but then it’s bright sunlight. It just didn’t work. So I said ‘Ummm, can we do this again at night?'”

Along with the time of day change, he moved the original finale’s setting primarily to a forest. He also aimed to make the creatures scarier again which led to the birth of the ‘Upgrade Predator’ which he describes as: “Bigger, meaner and nasty as hell. Ten feet tall and midnight black, bristling with spines, skin thickened with chitinous organic armour – the product of harvesting DNA from the deadliest creatures on every world it has hunted. The ultimate expression of Predator dominance. It is, it’s fair to say, one giant, ugly mother[...].”

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    AndyLGR and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    First of all, I'm surprised by the news that Shane Black is supposedly redoing the entire third act and getting rid of the "friendly Predator." It would make sense to have the film's third act take place in the forest, especially if the film is trying to cash in on the nostalgia factor.

I really do hope the "friendly Predator" thing goes away and doesn't make it into the final cut. It creates a cheesy tone and pretty much eliminates the horror and terrifying aspect of the Predator.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    cast of predator was on conan last night, pretty quipping rabble rousing bunch at least! And Jake Busey is definitely playing the son of Gary Busey's character from Predator 2. (told a funny story how Gary Busey was wearing the sliver speckly outfit when he visited the set as a kid and Gary said "this is what everyone will be wearing in 1997!")

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm liking the poster. I haven't been on here in a good while, but to quickly catch up, I am interested to see how much change went into the reshoots, and also a rumour i heard had me wondering about about if AVP is in the Predator film continuity.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They supposedly included the spear the girl got from the Predator in AVP1, alongside the spear from the P2 Predator.

Which wouldn't be that surprising, given that P2's inclusion of a Xeno skull basically started the AVP concept.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  18. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    So I’m hearing that this movie will include a female Predator

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That's true and a good point.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Factoid time! highest grossing movie of the Predator series is

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=predator.htm

2004 Alien Vs Predator at 172 million worldwide. Even 2010's Predators fell short! Behind both AvP movies!

But the worldwide box office is a rather different beast even than it was in 2010 with Predators. So maybe this'll pull Alien Covenant numbers (74 mil North America 166 overseas for 240 worldwide). Most I can see it doing. Maybe a bit more, it HAS been quite a while since we've seen a Predator movie.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    What's interesting is Fox decided, after AVP2, to try and resuscitate both franchises separately, so we got P3 & Prometheus, followed by another relaunch of sorts for Alien via Covenant (by veering into the Xeno more). Now it's hard to say if Scott will get to finish his David trilogy and we have P4 as a sort of second relaunch attempt.

But then Disney will own bother properties- and we knows theys loves them crossovers. So, I wouldn't be surprised if things remerge into AVP3 eventually. Although I'm still crossing fingers for that third Scott film first- and I'm fully game if P4 ends up being successful enough to bring us P5.

PimpBacca likes this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I heard that was a video clip played at the SDCC panel that featured Olivia Munn...
    sleeping in bed with the mercenaries(?) standing around her to see which one of the items she would grab that they placed around her once that startled her awake, to which many believe this was tone deaf to the realities of the "me too" movements.
    Additionally, the other footage played didn't do anything to generate any buzz for the film's release.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  24. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    So is anyone here worried about the future of predator and alien franchises once Disney owns them?

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Predator might get a cool-down but I think you'll definitely see more Alien movies. Whether or not it's Ridley's trilogy capper or not is the real question.

People keep expressing concerns over the fate of R-rated or non-family-friendly properties now that Disney owns them but, the fact of the matter is, they paid to acquire that content and those franchises. They're not just going to let them sit idle. They'll find outlets and branding to release them under like they used to with Touchstone and Miramax.

Not to mention Alien was literally part of the original central attraction of the MGM/Hollywood Studios theme park (and was there for 25-30 years) and, essentially, heavily inspired an attraction in the Magic Kingdom (albeit one that was eventually redone to be about Stitch instead of Lucas's original Alien creature).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and PimpBacca like this.