main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    I think I put it in Episode 8 cause I was thinking about "new movies", meant to put in ASWS forum , sorry!

Here are the 3 things gained by my idea imo

1. A battle between Obi-Wan and Vader in Vader suit that is not incredibly brief. I love the battle in ANH but I've always wanted this.

2. To me most assessments of the prequels flaws are wrong. I like the prequels more than most and I think they would have been near fully satisfying if they would have justified the fearsome way Vader is presented on Tantive IV in ANH. That was their one job, to make us buy Vader at the beginning of Ep IV, and that was their biggest shortcoming imo. The prequels we got make how bad ass Vader is in Ep IV jarring as opposed to a perfectly logical development.

I don't mind Jar Jar, I actually *like* the lack of a " main" character in the PT, it is only the lack of believable movement towards Episode IV Vader that holds these films back from greatness. Fixing this is an extremely worthwhile endeavor imo.

This has been remedied in games (Force Unleashed), Comics (the Purge) and now TV (Rebels). The only remaining reparative frontier is film. To me fixing this is "the way forward", because Vader is the most important character in SW.

3. I guess i'm juan thinking of the catalog of SW movies we'll have in our lifetime and what resources are available. McGregor won't be this young forever. We're lucky to have Earl Jones around still. McGregor is eager to reprise Obi-Wan. IMO, only if Episode IV Vader had been properly set up by ROTS could we watch an Obi-Wan movie and not pine for Vader the whole time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  2. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    Just* not juan

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

You can't have a Vader/Obi Wan fight because it would contradict the narrative we know from the OT.

4. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    I disagree. The job of the PT was to show how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader not how Vader became so feared. That was never their intent.

DaddlerTheDalek, Dra--- and Tanjint like this.
  5. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

I think the important point here is that it doesn't really need to have a pay-off to the larger saga, I thought that was the point of the spin-offs - to explore characters and the universe we love without having to have it affect the saga?

• We know that Obi-Wan has been on Tatooine between ROTS and ANH.
    • Luke seems to know 'Old Ben Kenobi' so he's a figure that at least has a presence on Tatooine and is known
    • Owen Lars calls him a crazy old hermit - Luke doesn't refute this and doesn't seem to know any different so whatever Obi-Wan does on Tatooine can't be so big or recent that Luke would know about it.
    I think that leaves some fertile ground for Obi-Wan, other characters who we know on Tatooine are Jabba/Greedo/Boba Fett etc so it would make some sense to have the underworld involved somehow.
    It would need to be long enough before ANH that Luke might not know about it, plus we have Ewan around 10 years older than his last appearance as Obi Wan so that should be okay.
    I posited earlier that whatever it is that Obi-Wan does should be for a noble purpose, that we do have the Empire around so it could be a possible uneasy alliance between the Tatooine underworld and Obi-Wan to stop the Empire from getting a foothold in the Outer Rim.

Tanjint, Valairy Scot and Dra--- like this.
  6. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    The job of the PT was also to show how a democracy could turn into a dictatorship.

DaddlerTheDalek and Tanjint like this.
  7. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    I think smart folks can disagree about the intent of the prequels, but I wouldn't phrase it as "why he was so feared" so much as I would say "believably setting up how we see Vader in Episode IV".

8. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    One thing I like in multi part stories, and especially Star Wars, is that each new part changes the way you see previous parts. ESB changed the way you saw ANH...as did RotJ. My intent with these ideas is to change the way you see the PT, TCW, the OT, and TFA.

OB1 is my favorite character from the prequels and TCW. I loved Ewan asOB1 in the PT. And James Arnold Taylor (JAT) did an awesome OB1 voice in TCW and Rebels. There have already been rumors that there may be a Kenobi trilogy. While Ewan was in front of the camera as OB1 in the PT, he did provide the voice in TFA. I believe that they also had JAT do the line as well, but they used Ewan. And, how about the cool fan theory of Rey (from TFA) being Kenobi's granddaughter? Well, I took those ideas and my love of the EU and ran with them.

Things to keep in mind:

1. Kathleen Kennedy said that the saga is, and will be, about the Skywalker's. While Ben Solo is technically part Skywalker, I don't think that is what she meant. I think Rey is a Skywalker.

2. At present, TFA and most of the new canon stuff does not connect too much to the PT, TCW, or Rebels (soon to change though).

3. Pablo Hidalgo, in discussing the Legends title, said that they called it Legends because there is some truth in it. Even the preview trailer for the 2nd half of Rebels' season 2 states that there is some truth in legends.

So, with that said, here is an idea I put together for a trilogy of Kenobi films...

First movie. Set just a few years after OB1 delivers Luke and Leia to the Lars. Now going by Ben, he is very lonely and just beginning to be able to commune with Qui-Gon. On a fateful trip to Mos Eisley, Ben Kenobi encounters someone he knows and with whom he fought in the Clone War. She’s in trouble. Desperate to avoid the Empire and, even worse, ex-Darth Maul, she asks Ben to help her. Little do they know that Maul has tracked Bo-Katan to Tatooine. Kenobi agrees to help her. Various patrons of Mos Eisley try to capture Bo-Katan, but, together, they manage to evade capture. This is an extended sequence of different chases and close calls which force OB1 and Bo-Katan to rely on each other to get through it. This is where OB1 learns that Mos Eisley is a wretched hive of scum and villainy…and learns that caution is required. There’s a point where the odds seem overwhelming, but for the moment they are safe. They have a moment of intimacy. It doesn’t last long when Maul finds them. Ben fights Maul to allow her to escape. After an intense battle in which both are wounded, Maul realizes that OB1is not his real target, so he escapes. Bo-Katan was able to escape off planet. A few years later, OB1 is sitting alone on a large rock in the desert. He is watching Luke from a distance and finishes writing an entry in a journal (yes, the one from the Marvel comics). He closes the journal, calms himself, and calls to Qui-Gon. He asks Qui-Gon, “Tell me how you are able to talk to me.” In another part of the galaxy, the Empire finds Bo-Katan...with a daughter. The Imperials kill the mother but are under orders to deliver the child to the Inquisitors. End of first movie.

Second movie. Set between ESB and RotJ. The daughter is a young beautiful redhead, but she is dangerous. The Inquisitors discovered her force sensitivity and train her to be a spy. She is so good that the Emperor himself takes an interest in her. He, personally ,gives her a secret mission. He has her steal the plans of the second death star and gets them to the Alliance's Bothan spies. At the same time, she tips off the Imperial forces that allow most of the Bothan spy ring to be killed. The Emperor praises her for a job well done, but she keeps her true feelings hidden. Deep down she doesn't like what she is doing. The last Bothan spy delivers the plans to Mon Mothma. The Emperor gives the woman a new mission...find and kill Luke Skywalker. End of second movie.

Third movie. Set several years after RotJ. The woman is a now a soldier of the New Republic. After the destruction of the 2nd death star she believed her master, the Emperor, was dead. Not knowing what to do, whom to follow, she decided to complete her last mission. Over the years she has infiltrated the Rebel Alliance and now, New Republic with the goal of getting close to Luke Skywalker. However, he has been elusive thus far because he's been searching for jedi temples and has started training his sister and her very young son. She finds out that Luke is looking for more people with force sensitivity that he could train and submits herself for training. The training, however, brings out the good in her and, slowly she falls in love with Luke. This makes her somewhat conflicted, which Luke senses. Things happen, she and Luke get married and it ends with the birth of their daughter...Rey.

So Rey would be Kenobi's granddaughter as well as a Skywalker. And, obviously, her mother is modeled after Mara Jade, though, in the new canon could have a different name. And no clone of Luke. She simply has a change of heart. It’s essentially a story of “Mara’s” (whatever her name would be) journey, that has love and truth win in the end. And she is Kenobi’s legacy.

I know most people would want live action films so as to see Ewan reprise OB1, but the other two films would require recasting. I’m not a fan of recasting. I didn't want a Han Solo movie (nor a Boba Fett one) because Han's not my favorite character and I don't like the idea of recasting a well-known character. However, in the case of OB1, Ewan did an awesome job as a youngerOB1. Still, recasting the main characters after RotJ might not be a good idea. So, I think doing these in animation would actually work pretty well. Also consider that Disney is known for its animated films. And, if they are animated, I would love to see Dave Filoni direct and/or produce.

As for OB1 having a child, we know from TCW that he had a romantic relationship of sorts with Satine. And in Ep.2 Anakin tells Padme that jedi are forbidden attachments. That doesn't exclude them from having feelings for someone or intimate encounters. Many times, when two people go through a tough time together romantic feelings surface and may lead to an intimate encounter. That's the idea I had for OB1 and Bo-Katan. In TCW they fought together and even shared a loss together. In this idea they'll share more tough times...which will lead them to an intimate encounter that happens to result in her being pregnant. But OB1 never learns that he has a daughter.

I also have an idea that, in order to actually continue the Skywalker name going past Ep. IX, in 8 or 9 we'll discover that: a. Luke's wife took their son with her into hiding; both were presumed dead when the Knights of Ren attacked the jedi. Or, b. Luke and his wife had a son after Rey, but the mother is dead. Either way, the son is revealed in 9 to fight along with Rey to defeat Snoke (whom I still think is Palpatine).

The Skywalkers are my favorite characters and I want to see their line continue. It's one of the reasons I loved the Legacy comics. I had thought about Rey being an only child and having a son without being married, so that boy would continue the Skywalker name. But I also like the idea of a Rey having a brother out there that we don't find out about untilEp.9. If memory serves, originally Leia wasn't Luke's sister, but he had a sister that didn't appear until the 3rd trilogy. Then he and her together would finally defeat the Emperor (who also wasn't supposed to show up until the 3rdtrilogy). So, in a sense, my idea keeps that original concept from GL...not that I'm a GL worshipper. I'm not. I think he totally blew it by killing Padme in RotS which messes up Leia's line in RotJ. I thought I should provide a link to where Gary Kurtz outlines the original ideas for the 9 episodes. Notice that Leia wasn't supposed to be Luke's sister, but that his sister would appear in Ep. 8. That is where my idea for Rey having a brother that shows up later comes from. Ironically, the link is TF.N
    http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/gary_kurtz_reveals_original_plans_for_episodes_19_80270.asp

Thorin Oakenshield likes this.
  9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I could get behind that...mainly for the gooey goodness that is Kenobi showing up in a trilogy of films.

10. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I like the idea of Rey being both a Kenobi and Skywalker, but your film pitches sounds more like 20 minute long TV episodes. Like, Obi-Wan goes to Mos Eisley, he finds this woman, Maul arrives, they fight, some intimacy, they fight, end of movie.

In my opinion, that part should only be an underlying subplot. A full movie has to contain much more.

11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    While I love the idea of Rey Kenobi and Luke mentoring the granddaughter of his dear friend and teacher, which is a touching connection, making Obi's daughter and Luke a couple is too contrived and small universe-ish. Not everyone needs to be related to everyone, even in SW. Yes SW is operatic, but it shouldn't become a soap opera either. Luke & Leia being siblings or Anakin building C-3PO was bad enough.

If Rey was indeed Kenobi, it would at least partially justify making an Obi-spinoff imo. I have my doubts regarding a Obi-movie, but this would help to sell it. Having a love interest would humanize the stoic and monkish character he would otherwise be.

12. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Jonipoon, my ideas could be seen as film pitches. Yeah, sure. Not full scripts. Obviously, if they made these into films a real script writer would have to add stuff. For example, the beginning of the film would show OB1 watching the Lars' homestead from a distance when Luke is still very young. There's not much for OB1 to do. To manage his loneliness he goes to a nearby settlement, perhaps Toshi Station. When asked his name he replies with only "Ben". Not too much interaction though. The only one that he can talk to is Qui-Gon. Sometimes Qui-Gon talks to him when he's out, but when Ben responds it's like he's talking to the air. People walking by give him strange looks. It's the start of why Owen calls him a crazy old man in ANH. After you establish Ben's loneliness with seemingly nothing to do for Luke at that time, you go to Bo-Katan on the run. She's not in her Mando armor, so you don't quite know who she is yet, just that she is trying to get away from someone. You establish that both the Empire and Maul are after her and why. Something along that line. A writer would be able to flesh out the idea more. My intent was not to outline a whole film, but just provide a basic idea/concept.

However, you do raise a point. While I don't think these should be a TV series, how about a 3-part mini-series? Each episode/show would be about an hour long. There's also the possibility of the stories being told in comics or novel form. The only thing would be that I'm not sure Disney/LFL would want to tell the story of Rey's lineage in a medium other than movie. Personally, I don't think I'd want to read that in a book. A comic or TV show would be ok though.

Obi-Wan Catnobi likes this.
  13. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    This was getting dangerously close to falling off the first page. It needed a bump. :)

Darth Downunder likes this.
  14. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I don't know about you guys, but good lord, how does Ewan manage to stay so young? He's soon 45 but could easily pass for a 30-year old in this recent video. There are lots of possibilities for an Obi-Wan film, especially if they do include flashbacks to the Clone Wars. With the right makeup, I think they could even make him look like his old padawan-self in TPM.

15. AprilMayJune

Nov 18, 2015
    I know, it is completely crazy how well he is aging.

I really need this movie to happen. Sigh!

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    We should start a petition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

AprilMayJune likes this.
  17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm on board with a Ewan-helmed Obi-Wan spinoff, set between III and IV of course. I would quite enjoy something that takes place just months after ROTS actually. There's much potential for cameos, (including a young Luke) and story elements that would tie nicely into the saga.

I know it's not canon anymore, but after reading the book Kenobi it really peaked my interest in seeing more of him in his Tattooine days...

18. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I don't know why but I just get so excited about the idea of even a short scene between Ewan as Obi-Wan and a 5-year-old Luke.

Also seeing a living, breathing Krayt dragon. Because we've seen that skeleton of the Krayt in ANH, so it only makes sense that it would be Obi-Wan that has slain the beast many years before. Imagine Owen is traveling across the desert with Luke and a bunch of gear in tow, and the dragon attacks them. Ben comes to their rescue and saves their lives. Would make for an awesome opening scene.

AniLukeRey and Valairy Scot like this.
  19. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Yeah, bring on Kenobi vs Krayt.

Rodie likes this.
  20. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    What if Obi takes someone under his wing, maybe a young woman who helps him break away from his past life of suppressed emotions?? Maybe he trains her as a Jedi, maybe they even fall in love... And then she is tragically killed in the end..? Or they could build it into the Rey Kenobi theory.

21. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Yes, Disney is probably thinking "since he was in the PT we should use a different actor least we loose half the audience"

22. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Liam was wearing makeup to look older in TPM. Liam with a big of de-ageing can pull it off in a spinoff.

23. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    I think of all the anthologies, I would like an Obi-Wan the most. I'd love for a transition to him settling in. Like, he kind of tries to go off and be a hero again because he's not used to it and has to come to grips with it.

I don't know. But I love this character and I'd like to see him do something not in a cartoon.

Tanjint likes this.
  24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Given that Disney has been pulling stuff from the PT/TCW-era quite a lot across their various projects (for years now), there's even some PT references/nods in TFA, oh and they brought back Ewan to record new dialogue for the "Rey's vision" scene, IDK where this idea that they'd be scared of using him comes from. They've ALREADY used him (or his voice at least).

And besides, Ewan's Obi Wan was one of the most praised parts of the PT, if not THE most praised. And most people have said that he's one element at least that they'd have no problem being brought back.

AniLukeRey, El_Machete12 and Tanjint like this.
  25. AprilMayJune

Nov 18, 2015
    My own extremely positive feelings aside, his role in the PT is something that a large share of people who didn't even LIKE the PT seem fairly on board with.

Also, anyone who hates Ewan as Kenobi doesn't deserve to watch a Star Wars movie anyways. ;)

Tanjint likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.