JCC Spoilers beyond this point: The "ZOMG Episode VII" Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. darthhelinith Force Ghost

star 5
    Honestly not sure if me gusta.
  2. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It would seem so.
  3. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    THinking about this, I'm willing to get this is about copyright. Disney has been the prime driver in having copyright laws amended to extend the period between the death of the IP holder and when it reverts to the public domain (obviously with respect of MIckey Mouse et al). It's beyond reasonable in the US and purely designed now to allow DIsney to retain exclusive rights to those characters because of the revenue their image generates. In all probability Congress is going to find it hard to amend copyright laws even further because of this one entity, so acquiring Star Wars exclusively for at least another 100 years makes sense from Disney's point of view.
  4. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    This is like being 60 years old and suddenly learning you're going to be a father again and have to/get to start the whole process of raising a kid for the next two decades or so.

Also, all the lookie loos coming to the Forum right now to talk about SW.... ugh, they're totally slowing down my access to our Circumcision and Doctor Who board.
  5. Mustafar_66 Force Ghost

star 5
    I can't be the only one who's cautiously optimistic about this? I mean, of all the faults of the prequels, the largest was George Lucas' directing and script. Presumably he'll have little input beyond that of an advisory capacity. Personally, if I were in charge I'd be on the phone to Joss Whedon offering him anything he wanted to do it.
    TheRedBlade likes this.
  6. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    [IMG]
    MrZAP, solojones, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  7. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    Also, will the Star Wars universe be a part of Once upon a Time?
  8. heels1785 SWC Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I couldn't be happier. Well, unless Nolan announced another Dark Knight trilogy, but this is pretty close. To quote one Bart Scott, "Can't wait."
  9. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    I am not so concerned about Disney, they are a fine company who have largely been non-interventionist with Pixar & Marvel allowing them to flourish with their own creative teams.

My worry is they have already nnounced a new movie, part of the same series as the current Saga. Given they have only 3 years it suggests production will start very soon, that suggests they already have a story idea. The OT cast are either too old to do more movies or dead, and having new movies about seperate characters would defeat the point of the movies being about Skywalkers (it is supposed to be about Anakin's life and once he died there is no more to tell).
    I have no problem with Old Republic movies or post-NJO movies or whatever, I just hope they do it well and don't turn it into horrid kid's stuff.
    It does seem rushed which is the thing that bothers me
    MrZAP likes this.
  10. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Yes because Lucas' diligent work over multiple drafts of the prequel scripts really ironed out the plot holes and terrible dialogue. More time = more quality, QED.
    TheRedBlade likes this.
  11. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    yea, pretty much my first reaction.

i'm really not sure what to think about this at this point. my question is who are they going to recast the main characters as? who gets to play han? who is derpy enough to play luke? how can you replace billy dee williams? just stuff like that is really what i'm wondering right now.

and also, if things will go the kiddie route and really suck. because if that's the case i probably won't be watching them.

oh, as to the boards being slow? umm... yes. they've been extremely slow for me.
  12. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Were you guys not around for the EU before TPM? TPM shattered most of it then too. EU will adapt and most of those terrible stories (i.e. the entire Troy Denning catalogue) will be wiped from continuity. Richly deserved.

DIsney owns Marvel. Marvel made the Avengers. It's not all doom and gloom.
    Jedi_Hood likes this.
  13. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Apprently they've been drafting plot ideas for almost six months, and they're farming the actual writing out to other screenwriters at the moment.
  14. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    YANA!
  15. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    Wow. I took a nap and came back to this. Wow.
  16. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    What of the planned Live Action Series? Would Disney as a child-centered company really allow a darker more adult-focused show to be made or will we simply get more Clone Wars?

I assume the proposed Boba Fett film Lucas was against will be approved now.
  17. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Apparently they've been drafting plot ideas for almost six months, and they're farming the actual writing out to other screenwriters at the moment.
  18. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    oh. hi ender.

personally i don't have a problem with the denning books so much. but what i'm concerned about is that it's all going to be nonexistent now.

and TPM only screwed up stuff from before the movies, not really anything after. i hadn't read that much of the before stuff, other than the han solo trilogy and the daly books.
  19. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Where is this info coming from?
    TheRedBlade likes this.
  20. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Ritchie, Lucasfilm will be a wholly owned subsidiary of the Disney corporation. Like, Pixar, like Marvel. I doubt Disney has any creative input into their subsidiaries, unless a creative direction would wholly damage the reputation of the parent company.

The mistake you make is assuming the films would be released under the Disney banner. I can see why you've made that error, but it's a fairly superficial and naive one.
  21. Darth-Lando Force Ghost

star 6
    My initial gut reaction was "Ewww why?" I mulled it over and am slightly intrigued but still, I've never felt more ambivalent about something in my entire life.
  22. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Hai!

Yeah TPM also shot through large chunks of the holy Zahn trilogy too. The EU will adapt, though the willingness of fans to jettison contradictory or unworkable solutions will creative some interesting challenges (we can't have the four competing stories about how the Death Star plans got to the Rebels filtered and only one true one agreed upon, so we'll come up with convoluted, idiotic and unbelievable scenarios that shoehorn them all in, yayayayayay!).

But in reality, how much would your enjoyment of the material be impacted by this news? In the unlikely event that they decide not to name the Solo kids Jacen, Jaina and Anakin - will you have suddenly not enjoyed the stories when you read them before you knew it?
  23. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Since the Big Three likely won't appear, the post-RotJ EU will be mostly irrelevant. These films can happen without contradicting much, actually.
  24. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
  25. DarthTunick Arena Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Though I'm cautiously optimistic about how any of these future films will turn out, I'm so ******* happy about everything else. It's been a blast today here/on Facebook, and regardless of the raging about specifics (concerning the film), the thought of having this place return (well, maybe not exactly, but still) to how it was for many years during the PT is very exciting/hopeful for me. I ******* happy/am loving this.
    Thrawn1786 and Todd the Jedi like this.