main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: AFTERMATH

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthTalgus, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The ENTIRE "Journey to The Force Awakens" thing was nothing more than a bogus marketing gimmick. For instance, Weapon of a Jedi, the junior Luke novel, was great, but its advertised connection turned out to be a blink-and-you'll-miss-him extra. I don't know why people seem particularly resentful of Aftermath in this regard.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

A bigger connection than Sarco would be Jess Pava in the prologue and epilogue.

3. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I admit, the whole "Journey to The Force Awakens" was kind of mishandled. There was hardly anything besides cameos that could be considered a huge connection to Episode VII, so marketing that collection of books in that way made it seem like they were going to shed a lot of light on things when they really didn't. At this point, we still have no good picture of what is going on.

Regardless, shedding the odd marketing scheme, Aftermath was a really good novel. It's the kind of Star Wars media I used to enjoy as a kid: a story of a group of characters outside of the Big Three fighting their own fight against the Empire ala Shadows of the Empire or the Jedi Knight series.

SilentGuy66, Revanfan1 and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I buy Aftermath and Shattered Empire as Journey to TFA pretty valid, they have characters that are in TFA and seeing the Empire fall apart is a pretty important step since they've been replaced by the First Order.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  5. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    I could not and still can't make it through Aftermath after the initial read. How Wendig got the gig for the flagship post-ROTJ trilogy is beyond me when they could have tapped Zahn, Freed, or Luceno. His characters outside of Sinjir and Sloane (who wasn't even his) are vanilla and boring, I absolutely cannot stand scenes with Temmin and Nora.

Life Debt was, admittedly, better, and of the two is only one I'll listen to multiple times. However, I skip every scene with Temmin and Nora, and cannot stand how he tries to equate his pet BH with Han Solo as marksmen/markswomen. Also not a fan of how he downgraded Sinjir, who I actually enjoyed in Aftermath, to "gay best friend" to the pet BH character. I find myself only following the scenes once they hit Kashyyk, and the Imperial perspective before that. I just can't bring myself to care about the Wexleys.

The interludes are pretty good though, I'll give him that. Does a fair amount of general world-building. The only one I didn't like was with the multi-gendered pirate captain. It just read really weird to me, and kinda felt contrived.

Hoping Empires End will be better. Hoping even more that Temmin and Nora won't be there. Or anywhere else, ever again. Yuck.

Sudooku likes this.
  6. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    Life Debt:
    The story itself was very good. I really enjoyed it, had a lot of great characters (Sinjir, Rae, Gallius, and of course Han Solo), the interludes were great as well and finally gave some information that's important for TFA.

BUT

The style of the book dragged it down very hard. The constant innuendos were embarrassing, forced, and unnecessary and the particularly violent scenes were unnecessary and un-Star Warsy as well. Fortunately the Hungarian translation was written in past tense so I didn't have to deal with the infamous present tense.

Both Aftermath and Life Debt saddens me a lot because I feel like they had potential to be much better then what they've become. These books are very important to the overall story and I feel like it was the wrong time for experimentation. But Life Debt was much more enjoyable than Aftermath, so hopefully Empire's End will be finally the book we wanted all along.

Sudooku and SilentGuy66 like this.
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Just finished the book today!

I tried reading it once already. I got about to page 150 before giving up and going to a different book.

I tried reading it again these past couple weeks, and I will say that it was a lot better than I remembered. Especially after page 150 :p

I enjoyed Wendig's characters, and the interludes were awesome. My one problem is it was just too slow and irrelevant in the first 150 pages, but other than that, it was a fun read. I'm gonna give Life Debt a try when I can get it at a good price.

Balaaa likes this.
  8. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    I think that Life Debt is considerably better than Aftermath. And it's finally relevant to the overall story.

Jedi Ben and Darkslayer like this.
  9. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    I started reading this book like two months ago, but after reading four or five pages I was turned off, the initial pchapter was exciting but then it felt like it went downhill and only goes up until the last arc.

I'm about to finish it, 70 pages left, but the whole time I feel like I was reading and episode of Rebels or something that could have happened in Rogue One, Temmin is just so annoying, the only great characters are Sloane, Norra and Jas, Mr. Bones too and because he was first I feel like K-2SO is a carbon copy of him, because Mr. Bones sounds badass and creepier, the interludes are great, some of them even better than the main story.

I hope to finish this tomorrow and start with Life Debt and then EE.

I hope to finish

Sudooku and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. Welsh Hero

Welsh Hero Jedi Knight star 1

May 14, 2016
    Managed to pick up the trilogy for £10 from the works.

11. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    How did empires end turn out for tbhose that read it?

12. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I'm one of the (few--maybe) people who enjoyed the first book. The second was incredible, and the third even more so. I just recently read through them all again and where in my first read through I enjoyed Life Debt more than Empire's End, I found myself really loving Empire's End this time around. I think I was in a bad place reading it the first time.

The Positive Fan and FS26 like this.
  13. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Not alone! I really enjoyed the entire trilogy truth be told. Life Debt is the clear stand out in my opinion whilst Empire's End, whilst great didn't quite have the pay off I thought it would. But when this happens in media - and it happens a lot (SW prequels, matrix sequels etc.) that can be down to the strength of the media that preceded it (OT, first matrix film etc.) Life Debt set quite a high standard that Empire's End couldn't quite follow in my opinion.

The first aftermath is tricky. Once you get past the writing style, it's a great read. I really like the characters and think Wendig, through the trilogy got the opportunity to make you care a lot for them. Yes, he had the benefit of Snap being in TFA, but that was it and he wasn't exactly a pivotal character. Mr Bones, Sinji and the rest are fleshed out well and with Wedge introduced later on, when read as a trilogy it did give us that great state of the galaxy / Empire's destruction that we wanted post Endor.

Also Han and Chewie were written well as well as Sloane. I would imagine some pressure for Sloane as she was already at that point a fan favourite - but in all her portrayals she has been done well.

Also, when playing Battlefront II - the audio with Snap was simply brilliant as was the references to Rax.

14. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I never had an issue with the writing style, and doing a re-read of Aftermath highlighted Wendig's worldbuilding. He puts a lot of detail into Akiva in particular.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Started playing Battlefront II and noticed a Rax reference and Beard Han which is in Life Debt

16. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Fans of The Beard might also enjoy something from the recent Poe Dameron Annual #2.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    There are quite a number of Aftermath references in Battlefront II. The game most draws from Shattered Empire, but the Aftermath trilogy is next. Along with some scattered Lost Stars, Blade Squadron, and Marvel references.

Ghost, DarthJaceus and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Although thinking on it more, there actually is a slight discrepancy in one of Battlefront II's Aftermath(- adjacent) references - Admiral Versio says that "Vice Admiral Sloane" ordered the retreat from Endor, when in the short story covering that, she was a full admiral.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, finally got around to finishing the first book. Striving to catch up on the post-ROTJ titles after treading water in the iter-trilogy era that keeps having books added to it faster than I can read them. First novel I've finished beginning to end through my new "I seem to only have time to read during my breaks at work so I'll do that" approach. The stop-and-start of only getting a couple chapters done a night (spread out across 3 breaks) can make it difficult to build up invested narrative momentum but the short chapters and frequent breaks and interludes actually lent themselves well to that format.

The book was not what I had expected. I knew going in that it apparently had an odd writing style (but I don't really notice those things that often and didn't notice it here), that it had the different interlude asides and that it included that Rae Sloane everyone was talking about. But not much else. I didn't expect it to focus almost exclusively on original characters, let alone original characters with non-high-level roles (outside of Sloane), so that was a surprise. Involving Wedge and having him be short of even a supporting character was also unexpected.

Maybe it was because of the way I read the book, but the characters grow on you in a way that surprises you (except for Temmin, he still sucks). For instance, when a character seems to have likely died in a crash, I was surprised that i cared- the character had been built up to be a pretty significant character in the story and, again maybe it's because of the way I read the book, but it didn't seem like the story had advanced far enough long for character sacrifices.

The cast is actually pretty fun (except for Temmin). The one connection to a past character was welcome and Mr. Bones is a new favorite character.

[​IMG]

And Sinjir's bemused ****posting self snark over his own life was pretty amusing.

[​IMG]

It's almost like he's drunken himself into gaining a vaguely Deadpool-like, 4th-wall-breaking, inner monologue. Like, if he were in a comic, his thoughts totally need to be in a yellow box.

[​IMG]
    Overall, it ended up not being what I expected and, though slow-going, it eventually built to something pretty interesting for a origin story of this crew- but, for the moment, it feels like an origin story that isn't necessary to read if we follow their adventures in the later books (like, we could drop in with them together already, exposition the backstory of how they met, and we'd be good). Except for maybe the one soldier- he kinda felt tacked-on/underdeveloped.

The book is good with the small moments, range of characters and observations. Like, I never did think about what a Jawa smelled like until now, but, yeah, that makes sense. There are some neat little visuals with some of the aliens that make me want to sketch them out as well. And the interludes do a great job of kinda capturing the fallout from Endor. I almost wish the entire book was just a loosely linked anthology of those interludes with Sloane's plot as the anchoring novella.

EDIT- Ah, crap, Temmin is Snap?! Dammit, I mean, I got the name connection from the mom but I assumed there would be a brother or, somehow, Temmin was the father...

EDIT 2- Also wanted to mention that the diversity in the book was refreshing. Sloane was pre-existing as a character, apparently, but she's effectively the 2nd or 3rd most important character in the book in terms of page count. And we get a really good variety of aliens mixed from different film eras (and past EU, I think). I also know the NU has supposedly been better about including LGBTQ characters than the EU was, but wasn't expecting them to come out of the gate with, I think, 5 characters in a single book. So, it was nice to see things open up here.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  20. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    A comic one-shot told entirely from Sinjir's point of view, with him commenting on the action via yellow thought boxes, would be an awful lot of fun.