main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. BrotherKylo

BrotherKylo Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2017

Anyone know? lol

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Keep getting booted outta game, needs fixing..
    Probably 50.

3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Beautiful game, just awful with everything else. I'm having more fun with the Lego Super Heroes 2 video game. Really sad to read the article with the way things have gone for the game....the optimism at the end was hilarious. If this game don't sell, why invest in a Battlefront 3? I think they need to improve number 2 and yeah, they'll release a bunch of free content to appease the fans but the damage was done. At least for now for the game.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    That about sums it up. Which of course was the same issue with BF 1. Great graphics and sound, and not much else.

I'm glad to see some people having fun with it. Heck, I'm having fun. But it's not great by any metric.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, it'll sell and it'll probably make a profit just nowhere near what EA were hoping for.

It should be impossible to screw up on a SW game, coming out ahead of a new saga film, at all, never mind to the degree EA have.

Vialco likes this.
  6. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Boy, talk about a wasted opportunity, where we could've spent several hours making a custom clone trooper using the (few) dozen paint and design variations seen throughout The Clone Wars show

Then multiply those hours for each class and for Empire/First Order variants...

Battle Droids would be a little trickier, since you've already got the standard, geonosis, red security, and yellow commander variants for each class, but you could've easily added in battle damage to those for a little variety...

*sighs in frustration*

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    This game can't walk and chew gum at the same time. If you have fast fingers, it's torturously clunky. I like to throw grenades then roll. Nope. The game will actually say, "grenade away" which confirms it received the command. Yet no grenade!

8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Side note: Man EA has seriously dropped the ball! In one year they screwed up Mass Effect, Need For Speed, AND Star Wars. These should've all very easily been huge hits. Instead they all spectacularly flopped. Then then they closed Visceral Games and essentially cancelled their Star Wars game. Next up, Respawn's Star Wars game. Not holding my breath on that one!

AusStig likes this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  10. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The biggest news around this is how it directly contradicts statements made by EA CFO Blake Jorgensen on why the lootboxes revolved around power instead of cosmetics:

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/1...have-only-cosmetic-loot-boxes-according-to-ea

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I can't play the sound on the video at the moment, but does it actually specify that the skins are only available in the lootboxes? I thought it seems as though all of the skins will be available to everyone.

12. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    That wasn't the point of his statement.

The point of his statement was that cosmetic options weren't included in the game, specifically the lootboxes, because it would mess with the canon.

This is directly contradicted by the inclusion of customizations in the first game and the leaked customizations we saw in the video you linked.

vw_jedi likes this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well someone would thoroughly need to explain to me how it would "violate the canon" if you had added a handful of alien species to fight alongside the Rebellion; given the OT movies primarily only focused on the main characters for most of the scenes. And of course it would be unfair to suggest that women shouldn't be included fighting alongside either the Rebellion or the Empire as Stormtroopers; pretty much for the same reason.

AusStig and Outsourced like this.
  14. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Yup. It's just stupid BS backpedaling to try and justify their microtransactions, undermined even further by the footage we saw and the previous game.

15. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I don't even care that much about this whole microtransaction thing but even I think their statement here is stupid. Not violating the canon? Surely having a different coloured Vader armour is nothing compared to say, Rey and Kylo fighting in the Clone Wars or Darth Maul fighting for the First Order?

I really don't get what point they were trying to make there.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Newest update apparently fixes many of the performance issues (i.e. game-breaking lag).

17. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    Except it didn't. Still lag, still rubber banding.

18. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Please not here as well. You might want to read the following article which provides more quotes for context (and without the misleading editorial comments from authors with an axe to grind).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-microtransactions-in-star-wars-battlefront-2

The obvious solution is adding more character customisation options - more costumes, races, etc. - because for all the imagination poured into this aspect of Star Wars over the decades, Battlefront 2 displays very little of it. And there's hope. "We certainly might be able to do that," Jorgensen said.
    He went on: "The one thing we're very focused on - and [Lucasfilm is] extremely focused on - is not violating the canon of Star Wars. It's an amazing brand that's been built over many many years. If you did a bunch of cosmetic things, you might start to violate the canon. Darth Vader in white probably doesn't make sense versus in black, not to mention you probably don't want Darth Vader in pink - no offence to pink but I don't think that's right in the canon.
    "There might be things we can do cosmetically, and we're working with Lucas on that, but coming into it, it wasn't as easy as if we were building a game around our own IP where it didn't really matter. It matters in Star Wars, because Star Wars fans want realism. But Star Wars fans also may want to tailor things: different colour Lightsabers, things like that, so you may see something like that."

He doesn't say cosmetics weren't included because they would mess with the canon. Or that there would be no cosmetics. He only says cosmetics is a lot mroe restrictive with Star Wars, and that they could mess with the canon if they were not done properly. Weeks ago before launch, DICE had already stated that cosmetics were being worked and was coming later when they got it 'right'. Pink Vader (and other colour swaps) is one example of it being done wrong. Everyone's all keen to provide lists of all the things that they could have done, all the while ignoring that all of those skins and modelling take time (which we know all have to be approved by LFL).

Regarding the customisation menu recently revealed - it's important to note that these have been recreated from data-mining and other technical wizardy using the existing launch build of the game. They're hidden mostly because they're unfinished too, essentially draft work that is left over in the files. There's been another video showing additional skins for Han, Lando, and Leia with a broken model of Grievous, which serves to emphasise how unfinished these parts of the game are/were.

Outsourced likes this.
  19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm not really concerned so much for the additional hero skins as I am for the standard skins for the troops on either the Rebellion side or the Empire Side. It would really make the game great if you're able to make an absolutely unique standard trooper/officer as opposed to how it was like in the previous game where everyone had the same body but only differed by heads as well as gender body types.

20. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    That would be very good. I suppose there is a concern that too much customization could interfere with the classes. A key element to the gameplay is foe recognition. Basically, different classes all require different strategies to deal with and players adjust accordingly. The classes therefore all have pretty clear silhouettes or colour palettes, and why the officer in particular looks so different to the rest. If you start to mess with that too much, you run the risk of confusing players. Players come around a corner and see what they think is an officer, but it's actually a heavy wearing the uniform of an officer, or worse, you have no idea what type of enemy it is because it's something completely new different. Not saying that it cannot be done, just that some care needs to be taken.

Further, there was enough of a backlash to the first game's use of unhelmeted heads for the Empire for them to remove that feature entirely. And I recall hearing many complaints from fans even on stuff like seeing Bespin security guards on Hoth. Fans are rather picky about such things. Cross-era heroes is already a point of contention for many as well. Personally I hate it, but I can understand why it's in the current game (there simply aren't enough heroes yet).

21. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Fair enough. The fault is on me for not doing proper research, and I appreciate you bringing up the full quote.

22. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Is the Crait map coming to Arcade?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    We don’t know as of yet, there hasn’t been any mention. My money is on no, but don’t take that as fact.

Deliveranze likes this.
  24. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Likely to do so eventually, but whether it comes at the same time as the normal release may depend on the map design and how quickly they can sort out any AI issues. Not sure if you guys saw this, but a player managed to work the other maps into arcade. He says that they mostly work ok but the pathfinding is unfinished. Endor in particular has none (the AI just stand where they spawn).

It may be foolish (this is EA after all), but I'm hoping for a large arcade/offline update early next year which has all the other maps plus some new modes (including Starfighter Assault).

Deliveranze and heels1785 like this.
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Me too. It was implied as much in their Reddit AMA that they're aware lots of us want that, and are working on it.