main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (Marvel) #1: Skywalker Strikes, part 1 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ordo Skirata, Jul 26, 2014.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I mean at least things theoretically can't get worse

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This basically. Get their feet wet and then expand.

3. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    STAR WOOD II: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

I like the cover, though. Except for Leia's random show-off of leg. That's bugging me.

WMIRTUTSF, Riv_Shiel and DelRiego like this.
  4. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Wow. Talk about playing it safe. If they were playing it any safer they would probably fold over themselves and disappear in a temporal paradox. I wasn't going to be buying any more comic books anyway, but man is my interest at all-time low. Heh.

5. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    So this is now the 3rd iteration (in comic form) of the events immediately taking place after ANH. And technically its more like the 6th if we include the Archie Manning/Al Williamson strip, the stuff Marvel UK was doing outside of the US stuff, and of course Star Wars 3-D. Really Marvel? This is the best you could come up with?

Let me make a wild guess... The next monthly series, or mini series is going to be..

Bobs Fett, right???

Yancy

6. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I can't say that I was happy with Marvel taking over the comics anyway, but I honestly didn't think Marvel would play it this safe. I definitely won't be picking up the issues. Will consider the trades if people are glowing about the series.

I'm sure Disney has post-ROTJ blacked out right now, but there is soooo much else they could have done rather than setting three new books all in the same time period.

Abadacus and EternalHero like this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    A Post ROTS series set during the Dark Times would be fun.

8. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Wow. Marvel's really taking some creative risks in uncharted territory here. Totally unexpected. Bravo.

9. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I think my interest in this series will be mostly determined by the characters used outside of the main heroes of the OT. Wedge, Ackbar, Mon Mothma, etc. I want to see how those characters are going to be done in the NEU.

Abadacus and Rogue Five like this.
  10. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Cassaday will be on the series for the first arc only. There's no way with his pace that he'll keep going after that.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed.

12. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008

Yes, but to be fair we are getting two books and a TV series set in that time period.

Maythe14thBeWithYou and Krueger like this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That's closer to ANH though. I mean right after ROTS.

14. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008

Isn't Lords of the Sith not that long after the events of Episode III?

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    [face_dunno]No idea. Hope so.

mes520 likes this.
  16. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well I can say that this is atleast going in the direction of what I wanted Woods series to be.

I finally get my "STAR WARS" comic that isn't bogged down by any past continuity. Not that Woods series was, but he was definitly limited in the big things he could do. I'm interested in seeing how crazy things can get with nothing to stop them.

Jason Aaron does good work a lot of the time.

Man wierd seeing these big names doing Star Wars comics. I mean, I figured it would have to be, but the possibilities are just limitles. No proof it will be good, but still interesting.

Hope to get my Grant Morrison Star Wars comic someday.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014

It's close enough that they're still using Venators, V-Wings, and Darth's Eta-2.

18. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    It didn't start out that way.

19. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I can understand a lot of the disappointment regarding all the series taking place only a few months after ANH, but it was the most logical possibility from the beginning.

Marvel can't just jump right into doing series set in the future, the past, or about a character nobody cares about. This is their first foray in the universe in 30 years, so they've got to start things off less risky and put their own spin on it. You can't say anything about the characters used because they are the most regonizable and profitable. For fans of the DH comics it's a let down, but for everyone else, and this is targeted to everyone else, it's probably damn interesting.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    This.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    Absolutely.

This is just Marvel making their own version of a Dark Horse comic I found too boring to read.

Neither of which will be any way near as entertaining as the original Marvel Star Wars.

blackmyron likes this.
  22. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    i think Marvel should acknowledge what DH has already done despite the fact that it is no longer considered canon. If they pretend that the DH stuff never existed and decide to just do the same old thing then they are just begging for fans to call them unoriginal. Fans have read those stories and they want something new.

General Immodet likes this.
  23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Jason Aaron writing this. I would say "I told you so" but if I keep at it I might overdose or something. [face_party]

24. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    Exactly.

I say, make Luke, Leia and Han supporting characters and give us some new leads.

Abadacus and mes520 like this.
  25. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    You do that then your not going to have a very profitable Star Wars book.

DH can affort to do 10,000 to 20,000 a book. Marvel is more in the range of 50,000 and 100,000.

Wants going to be more profitable, a book about new leads, or a book about the big 3?

Hell look no further than DH's STAR WARS comic. IT does 30 thousand(was 50,000) and stars the big 3. Every series they had that stared a new character did maybe 12,000. Maybe 18,000.