main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2015 Box Office Bloodbath (And the winner is...)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 20, 2013.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Hmmm, not sure what Secret Service is, and I *think* Assasin's Creed is based on a video game I-)? But moving Fantastic Four from a March release into a more competitive June date is interesting. This is FF's last chance to play in the big leagues. Go big or go home.

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Pacific Rim already tried that. It didn't work. :D

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, we don't people. They were just awful. Horrible. Bad. All those adjectives.

And more.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    SS is based on the comic by Mark Millar (Wanted, Kick-Ass, now in charge of the Fox Marvel films aka Joss Whedon fir Avengers) directed by Mathew Vaughn (Kick-Ass, X-Men First Class), so expect it to get a notable push,

AC is based on a video game series (one of the biggest currently). The film will star Fassbender but will be an original story set in the AC universe.

5. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Ahhh, okay. Big fan of Vaughn's work. Not Millar's so much. He's taleneted, but his work just has a mean spiritedness to it IMO. But yeah, that's bound to get some buzz.

I'm stuck in the 8-bit era video game wise, and the history of video game adaptations is spotty, at best, but Fassbender FTW!

6. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    absolutely none of those movies are making me sit on the edge of my seat.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Assassin's Creed movie might have a better chance in the August window than it would in the Memorial Day window.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It was in June originally- I think it could have done well there, but claiming the early August action flick role could work in it's favor.

It's less about one's personal opinion of those franchises/sequel prospects and more the fact that they are all either major properties or followups to massive blockbuster event films/franchises.

I haven't played any of the AC games yet myself (though I did buy the most recent game, Black Flag), but my understanding is the general concept is about a man in modern times using technology to relive the memories of his ancestors from different time periods (in the games you play as those ancestors- so the early games were in renaissance Europe, the last game was set during the American revolution and the most recent one is set during your Black Beard pirate era), as part of a rivalry between Assassins and the Knights Templar. There's also something about a pre-human ancient race as well I believe.

But, yeah, Fassbender can do no wrong.

EDIT- And now MI5 has been locked into a Dec 25th release date- one week after Episode VII.

9. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Absolutely. If he and Idris Elba were in every movie it would be fine by me. He singlehandedly made an otherwise average period actioner like Centurion compelling to watch.

Is JJ still involved as a producer on MI:5?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ha, I believe so, yes. It will be a very JJ xmas.

11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I wonder what will gross more money that December, Star Wars or JJ Abrams?

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    With SW7 claiming Dec 18th, Warcraft has retreated to March, 2016 (the 300/Clash slot).

13. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004

They really had no choice with this one. I'm sure there will be some rom-com, seriouso Oscar-bait counter programming in or around that Dec 18th slot, but Warcraft is playing to the same audience as Episode VII. On the surface March seems like a less prestigious date, but as you said, that's right around when 300 came out and forever changed the perception of March as a box office dead zone. I also believe the director is a first timer, so this gives him the added bonus of a bit more time in post.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I was under the impression KK wanted a delay to 2016 because of the having to change script writers and casting delays and stuff and Disney said no. Not sure if JJ wanted a delay, but this release date seems like a good compromise.

Disney obviously have a set timeframe for the movie for whatever reason, maybe they just wanted to flex their muscle and show who is boss now.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Mad Max: Fury Road is coming out summer '15 now. Hmmmm.

16. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Bourne 5 is confirmed for August 15th

17. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Sheesh, by the time this finally gets released it will actually be the post apocalypse.

Arawn_Fenn and Saintheart like this.
  18. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    So it's more or less a given that Fassbender will not be Altair? That's a bit reassuring, even though, as Juke Skywalker has already stated, when it comes to video game adaptations expectations must be dialed down to 0.

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The moved release date of AC doesn't help matters either. And now a Bourne sequel is coming out that August too. Legacy was godawful, why are they making another one?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually thought Legacy was pretty good up until it just ended randomly. It was definitely a movie that felt like it was missing its final act and that left a sour taste in pretty much everyone's mouths.

21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Dorkslayer, by the clearly trollish comments in your sig I can see you're just stirring up trouble. Well played, but you'll not have me today young one!

23. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004

aspiring screenwriter -- "Hey, I've just written a screenplay, will you produce it please?"
    suit -- "Who are you? What is this? I don't recognize any of these words. Bill! Come in here before I start stabbing people out of ignorance induced rage!"
    bill -- "Yessirrightawaysirwhatsthetroublesir"
    suit -- "Explain this to me. What's happening. What are these strange symbols on the page."
    bill -- "Sir, this is a movie script, sir. Those are words. This young person has written a psychological thriller, it seems. Looks quite promising, actually."
    suit -- "Who's it about? I don't recognize that character at all. Where are all of the explosions? There aren't enough dead people. Bill! Get in here!"
    bill -- "yessirrightheresir"
    suit -- "We need to make this more recognizable; something accessible. Cut out all of these subplots, and most of this main one; now set it somewhere exotic, but not too dangerous, like Europe! And erase the character's memory so he'll have no personality and the audience will find him relatable. Where are the explosions and broken glass? This needs more broken glass everywhere. Now, what kind of existing property do we already own that we can make this a sequel of. Brand recognition, Bill. That's what people want! I'm a genius."
    bill -- "Brilliant, sir. I don't think people would have gotten it anyway. This way is better."
    screenwriter -- "Yes, but-"
    bill -- "THIS WAY IS BETTER"

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope in Legacy 2, Jeremy Renner continues to run around yelling WHERE ARE MY CHEMS

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Fast & Furious 7 has officially been pushed back to April 15, 2015. Universal wants to end the franchise with a whimper in the wake of Paul Walker's death.