main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2024-25 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Every school that fires the good recruiter who wins 9-10 games per season but didn't beat the rival / win a title often enough thinks they are getting the Cooper-to-Tressel upgrade. No one thinks they'll get the Solich-Callahan move.

History says Georgia isn't likely to get the Tressel.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Bill Callahan won a few games, even though he was a dud.

No one thinks they'll get the Fulmer - Kiffin - Dooley - Jones move.

3. DarthBrendon85

DarthBrendon85 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 18, 2015
    I am just glad that Washington State had a winning record this year!! GO COUGS!!!

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Callahan, by season:

5-6
    8-5
    9-4
    5-7

Coming on the heels of Solich going

9-4
    12-1
    10-2
    11-2
    7-7
    10-3

Just saying. There's usually a drop off.

heels1785 likes this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The first time we won a bowl game after Fulmer left was last year.

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yup. Tennessee and Fulmer is possibly the benchmark for "be careful what you wish for".

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern Cal made a wise choice in removing the interim tag from Head Coach Clay Helton's current status. This guy took over a sinking ship, and has guided them into the Pac-12 Championship game, with wins over Stanford and UCLA.

Phenomenal work.

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    In My Opinion, that's righting the wrong from a few years back when they should have kept the interim coach (Orgeron) and instead went for the splashy hire.

9. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Some of the (awesome) gear Navy will be wearing for the Army-Navy game:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More info- Navy Twitter

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Those Navy uniforms are just ridiculous. For everything Nike has done at Oregon, none of them hold a candle to those.

On the subject of 5-7 teams going bowling, I really like the suggestion that Taylor Zarzour made, even though I know it is nowhere near being in the realm of realistic possibilities. He suggested that rather than sending a 5-7 team Bowling based on APR (which, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against using APR and actually putting the student back into student athlete), we fill those Bowl slots with teams from the Ivy League and other conferences that don't have post season tie ins. I know I'd rather tune in and see Harvard in the meaningless but ESPN has time to fill Bowl than Nebraska.

jcgoble3 and PearsOfKrissto like this.
  11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    With all of the coaching firings/resignings, did someone issue an Order 66 on their jobs? :p

jcgoble3 and Juliet316 like this.
  12. PearsOfKrissto

PearsOfKrissto Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 21, 2015
    I'm betting MSU beats Iowa soundly, now.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Georgia to name Alabama DC Kirby Smart their new head coach.

South Carolina could do themselves a LOT of good by hiring Mark Richt.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Pun intended here - I don't think that hire is very smart for Georgia.

The history of coordinators - no matter how good they are - who come into a high profile job with no head coaching experience and succeed? Not much of that, especially in the SEC and especially defensive coordinators. History is littered with hot defensive coordinators who came into the SEC for their first head coaching job and flopped.

Zook
    Muschamp
    Orgeron
    Dubose
    Croom
    Stoops
    Mason
    Tuberville

Varying degrees of "how good they looked at hire", but none of them found that much success. Sure, there's Dan Mullen, who has succeeded, but at a much lower profile job than Georgia. Success at Mississippi State is failure at Georgia, as Mark Richt just proved.

I'm a little surprised they didn't try to back up a truck full of cash to Tom Herman and force him to say no.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    None of those names spent 8 seasons working under Nick Saban. Smart was probably ready to take a job a few years ago, but the extra time could only have helped him. Look to Mark Dantonio as an example, a former Saban protege at MSU.

Tom Herman will be a great head coach at a big school some day, but I think passing on Kirby Smart would have been very foolish for Georgia.

16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I don't know. I think of the NFL experience with Bill Belichick's proteges; Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Josh McDaniels. All failed, some dramatically. Just because one is an assistant to a genius head coach for many years doesn't automatically give them great sucess.

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Don't forget that Saban himself comes from the Belichick tree, though.

18. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    As dooming as it sounds, what about someone pulling trestman down from the ravens to hc?

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    It's not that Smart can't be successful at Georgia, or that it's guaranteed that he won't be successful.

It's that the odds are against that type of hire.

You're asking a guy who has never run an entire program.
    Let alone run a program in a Power Five League
    Let alone run a program with National Championship Aspirations
    Let alone run a program with realistic National Championship Aspirations

To do all of those things and learn on the fly? And do so replacing a guy who was a) from all accounts well like and a good guy and b) who won a lot of games just not titles.

When you have options out there who at least check some of those boxes?

Dantonio is a poor comparison for a number of reasons. First, when he took over at Michigan State, they weren't a national title contender. More importantly, though, he had previous Head Coaching Experience (Cincinnati) prior to taking over at Michigan State

20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It looks like Mark Richt will be Miami's new coach.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    May the football gods grant us Georgia-Miami in a Bowl Game!

22. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012

Some of them are head scratchers, but I know one that makes total sense. London has had one foot out the door at Virginia for a while.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    So has Beemer, sadly enough. It was one of those 'You know it's coming, but it's still sad when it's official' type of deals.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The BattleFrog Fiesta Bowl?

They should lose their standing as a NY6 game for having such a dumb name/sponsor.

ma_petite and Juliet316 like this.
  25. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015