main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am 1000% loving Jason's Aquaman (the icy blue eyes are a nice touch. Definitely makes him feel like he lives deep underwater) , the rest of the Justice League, I'll roll, but my rump is in that seat for Aquaman.

Actual histories of WWI aside, I liked those images of Diana fighting in the war...and I like Gal as Diana. I would have preferred they stuck with WWII, esp. since Marvel sidestepped a lot of that by focusing on Hydra and I wanted to see Wonder Woman kick some nazi heads in, but, I get it. Chris Pine seems like a solid choice too.

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Personally I like the WWI choice, gives a new aesthetic and offers new visuals rather than WWII. I mean if they did WWII they'd only be copying First Avenger and every WWII movie out there and would never get out of that shadow.

Also a lot more interesting stuff to do with the politics of the war and there being no 'evil' side just mankind's nature.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The World War II origin was Diana's origin from 1941 until 1986. So it is a basic tenant, it was just shifted to WWI, most likely to get away from the Nazi aspect which is why "Captain America" didn't feature Hitler other than as a tool for American propaganda.

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Because Superman is vulnerable to Kryptonite and wearing armor wouldn't stop it. He has to wear a lead suit and a lead suit can be torn up by Doomsday, thus rendering it pointless.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Why wouldn't the Krypton armor stop it? It is used to block the air of another planet. I don't see how the Kryptonite gas would affect him with the armor on.

Na-Mek's armor could even take a direct close hit by Superman's heat vision, surely it's going to help a lot.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ssssssh Slowpoke. The movie has to work for real people.

7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    So up until Crisis and the merging of the multiple Earth's into one?

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Who is the villain? Circe?

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Quite good, quite good! Barry Allen is outstanding in that clip.

Edit - And Wonder Woman was even better. Good day for the DCEU.

10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Pretty sure it will be Ares, given the whole World War thing.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

"... I need friends..." was pretty good.

12. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Justice League trailer was good but the Wonder Woman trailer was even better. Gal Gadot was great in BvS and looks like she will be great in this as well.

13. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  14. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I mean, I know they're still shooting Justice League, but it would seem that this early footage is specifically there to reassure people this is going in a lighter direction than the last one. Which is totally fine.

But the thing is, they went as dark as people have wanted ever since Frank Miller wrote the character...and it was too much. Now they're course correcting and people still aren't happy.

Master_Rebado and heels1785 like this.
  15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
  16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I still think it's dumb to let Ares be the enemy of the Amazon.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they're also learning from the mistakes from last year when they basically were forced to put up the Suicide Squad teaser trailer after it got raves and constant bootleg uploads.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The Kryptonian ships have their own oxygen supply, replicating Krypton's atmosphere. That ship was destroyed and only has minimum power. Clark doesn't know that it was powered by Kryptonite. Lex finds out and so does Bruce. The ship had a lead lined chamber that was used to contain the Kryptonite and thus keep it from affecting any Kryptonian on board. If the chamber was ever compromised, then everyone on board would be affected by the Kryptonite.

Clark doesn't have said armor, since it all went back to the Phantom Zone. Kryptonian metal can withstand heat vision, which is how Clark can use it to help him shave. But the presence of Kryptonite can affect the metal, weakening and rendering it useless like fiberglass. Only when mixed with lead, can it hold up. Clark doesn't know about the Kryptonite in DOJ, that's why he's shocked when he's exposed to the Kryptonite gas.

Right. Then we had George Perez and Brian Azzarello's take, where she wasn't in WWII, but debuted in the present. But then John Byrne retconned Diana's mother as the WWII Wonder Woman. What we have here is a combination; Diana debuted in WWI and disappeared after the war ended, only to return to public prominence in DOJ.

ShaneP likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    When are producers going to learn that it's almost impossible to please a whole fanbase?

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Trying to please everybody, I mean consciously trying to craft a movie with fan service, can lead to disaster. I would rather have a director stick to his/her guns and deliver a solid vision that might piss some people off than hodge-podging a film with this for that fan and that for the other fan, etc.

21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Yeah, makes sense. I'm still baffled as to why these trailers are as lengthy as they are, regardless of the studio releasing them. It contributes to the conventional wisdom that audiences feel like they've seen the entire film in marketing by the time it actually gets released.

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I rarely watch trailers anymore for that very reason ewoksimon. I still watch teasers though.

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, I was talking about their helmets that could block Earth's environment, with that there is no way the gas could get in.

I don't see it break metal at all. Plus that armor wasn't composed of earth metal at all.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, he doesn't know about the Kryptonite until it is too late. Kryptonians do not have precognitive abilities as part of their power set and this version cannot time travel. So why would he have something that he needs, when he doesn't realize that he needs it?

Kryptonian metal can survive a powerful, nuclear type blast. Such as when the Cyborg survived a ground zero blast that destroyed Coast City.

[​IMG]

Kryptonian metal can be affected by Kryptonite, which is shown when Superman defeated the Cyborg, who had been exposed to Kryptonite.

[​IMG]

There is no Kryptonite in MOS, other than what powers the ships. Clark does not know this. When the Kryptonite is retrieved by Lex's people and Bruce synthesizes it into a gas, it is then able to affect him. If Clark had the Kryptonite gas and spear to use against the Phantom Zoners, it would have torn apart their armor.

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I've called my friends in Hollywood and told them, Slowpoke. I also showed them your fan trailers, so you'll probably get asked to direct a definitive Wonder Woman film. I think maybe an older British actress, who isn't too old by any stretch, would be a good casting choice.