main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The nuances / ingredients that make a Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by phatdude1138, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Having no credits at the beginning of a film isn't an issue anymore. All three new Batman films for example just have the logo at the beginning and that's just one example of many. JJ and Disney need not fear any wrath from the guilds because there won't be any.

2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen credits in front of a blockbuster movie. They were unique to Star Wars in the 80s, they're unique not to have them anymore.

The 3-4-paragraph opening though, that has to stay.

mes520 likes this.
  3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Always three there are.

But yeah, this is a non-issue. The credits will be at the end where they always are, and there will be an opening crawl in the beginning. You can count on it.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    But when has a non-issue ever stopped us from worrying about it. :p

lbr789, Jeff Zach, eht13 and 3 others like this.
  5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    TESB and ROTJ were directed by directors other than George Lucas. The formula is set -- Star Wars will be produced like every other SW film with all the nuances that make it special -- credits rolling AFTER the film.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  6. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    In the exact middle of the movie.

7. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Yes, this is true. In fact, the characters will be introducing themselves in the middle of scenes and taking a bow like at the end of a stage production of Sheakespeare or something like that.
    It's not all that uncommon at all these days, but I believe at the time it was very controversial. Isn't that why Lucas got kicked out of the directors' guild or something like that?

8. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    In the thread The Little Nuances that make a Star Wars Film we cover all the "little nuances". Credits are a BIG part of it. A lot of folks don't get that opening sequence is a big deal and sets the whole film up to be a Star Wars film.

Fox Fanfare
    Long time ago font.
    Star Wars 3 paragraph scroll
    NO credits
    pan up down to something

Lets hope we get most of that.

9. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Oops, I read the thread title and immediately associated the term "credits" with talk of Star Wars currency...wrong thread.

Darth Pwn and Jeff Zach like this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They'll be where they always are... on IMDB, of course...

11. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Right after the big reveal. That way everyone can twitter about how awesome it was... hopefully not spoiling the reveal while they're at it.

12. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    I was just watching Jedi earlier tonight and thinking about this. While I figures they'd definitely keep the structure, I was thinking about how weird it will be to hear the Disney jingle rather than the Fox fanfare.

13. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    As said in many many many other threads, the fact that the Avengers is free of the Disney jingle makes it likely Star Wars will be too. Only thing is there won't be the fox fanfare. I see a lucasfilm logo, a Bad Robot Logo, darkness, then the opening crawl.

14. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    you forgot the whole "A Long Time Ago, In a Galaxy, far , far away..."

15. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    Counting that as part of the opening crawl, but you're write, its it's own thing.

right after writing this i read a post on a different thread about how the issues with paramount connected to the Avengers may have been the real reason why the disney logo didn't appear. So i half-not-really take back what i said (take it with a grain of salt).

16. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    Now i haven't gone through every page here, but really, has no one mentioned the slicing off of limbs/hands? TPM is without but has Maul being bisected so i think that counts.

Every star wars film has a 'Villain of the film' , Jango, Grievous, Tarkin, Boba Fett (yes he's in the next movie but he represents the scary uncertainty of ESB and is only in ROTJ to die),Jabba (once again, yes he's in ANH but it's just forshadowing for his appearance here). Episode 7 should have one villain who is defeated in the course of the film, and another who remains a threat.

17. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    The Star Wars Holiday Special had the credits at the beginning, and vocalized to boot!

Just sayin'...

18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Correct, at the time it caused problems for Lucas and he even paid Kirshner's fines.

I was just saying that it's not an issue anymore, even though it was a huge issue in the 80's

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, and as with other threads before, this "credits" thread has reached a point where merging it into that "nuances" thread makes sense.

*Thread merge*

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope the credits don't show up at all until there is a big battle where it seems all hope is lost for Luke and friends, and then the credits appear as a Deus Ex Machina and crash into everything.

TKT likes this.
  21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    So, the title is Attack of the Credits?

eht13 likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Something like that.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It would be far more cataclysmic to have the end credits crash into the opening crawl with all of the characters caught in the middle of the collision. "Shut down the text"! "No, shut it all down"!

Darth_Articulate, eht13 and T-R- like this.
  24. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    So Spike TV is of course playing all off the saga this weekend.

One nuance I totaled noticed was the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. You can tell Spike TV crops the HD Star Wars versions to fill a 16:9 TV:
    [​IMG]

I hope J.J. stays true to the 2.35:1 ratio. It looks like he should, Super 8 an Star Trek were filmed this way. Some people will say it doesn't matter, but the opening crawl would definitely need to be modded to fill a 16:9 screen vs a 2.35:1 screen.

Pro Scoundrel and Echo-07 like this.
  25. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    99.9% sure he will stick to 2.35:1. Only exception to this I could think of is if they shoot some scenes in IMAX.