main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

They do not. I speak for the Boston people in my life.

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    A well-reasoned and logical comment. Unlike that absurd nonsense spewed forth by Tunick.

Amazing.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    His last year with the team, 2013, was the last season before the creation of SNLA, and thus the continuing terrible impasse. Thus, the feelings of nostalgia over having regular television access to the Dodgers applies here; plays a part in my reasoning.

4. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Meant to post this when it first happened, but expansion is coming! (eventually)

Amazing.

5. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I think there are enough teams as it is, but if expansion does happen, I'd like to see a new Expos team in Montreal, provided the fan base is there.

6. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Manfred also made the point that scheduling is much harder right now, with daily interleague play. That plus expansion being guaranteed revenue for the league makes it all but inevitable.

Amazing.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    havn't seen steve lyons in quite a while. Thus, havn't heard the expression "he's sitting dead red" 20 times a game either.

Yesteryear offered Vin Scully. the 21st century offer's babblers like steve lyons in the booth.

8. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I like the interleague play. It's better than them playing each other once a year, imo.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I like interleague play, but even my tradition bucking self finds it jarring on opening day. Being rid of that is reason enough to be in favor of expansion. That it might bring my Expos back is just icing on the cake.

That said, I don't think Montreal will get an expansion team. My guess would be Vancouver, if they go with Canada, and a Mexican team, likely Mexico City (but don't overlook Monterey).

That being said, the commissioner also said they needed to resolve stadium issues in Oakland and Tampa before they expand. So, with that criteria, expansion may never happen. :p

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm tired of interleague play, and knowing it'll never go away now because of the current setup of the leagues is greatly annoying to me.

11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I like the Cubs - White Sox rivalry with interleague play but other than that I'm kinda indifferent about it. If you don't have a fun rivalry like that for your team I can absolutely see why you wouldn't want/care about interleague play....and it was weird having the Cubs open up at the Angels this year.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Tunes, not only do enjoy interleague play, I'm also in favor of expanding the designated hitter to the National League.

I have no need for the "purity" of the game!

13. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    The DH is an abomination!

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    An abomination that significantly improves my experience as the paying customer, now living in a National League city.

15. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    See I like having pitchers hit and the strategy involved with that....but I'm pretty sure the DH is going to be league wide in the next few years. Honestly it will help out the Cubs because then they can just make Schwarber the DH and not worry about where they are going to put him in the field.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    As long as the NL remains DH-free, I can put up with all the other nonsense (interleague play; the current All Star Game format).

cubman987 likes this.
  17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it's pretty weird to me right off the bat in april to see interleague games on with , especially with two teams with no history. personally it was always a novelty to me.

18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh god what?? The DH IS an abomination and should be disposed of. I much prefer a pitcher like Jake Arrieta, who hits homeruns and actually contributes to the offense of the game. I hate the idea that pitchers are prima donnas who somehow cannot be expected to ever learn how to hit. Screw that, buckle down and learn this key aspect of the game. Everyone else has to be exceptional at their position and also hit. I have never understood why pitchers should somehow be exempt from this expectation.

jcgoble3, TX-20, JEDI-RISING and 3 others like this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    My A's end their 3 game slide with a win in Detroit.

I'm not really a Giants fan, but I can't avoid hearing about them on the local news. So far the Cueto acquisition has been paying dividends, which was a concern in Spring training.

And being an AL fan all my life, I'm glad there isn't an easy out in almost every game and I enjoyed watching hitters like Edgar Martinez and Big Papi. I really hate it when it a critical situation in the game and the starting pitcher (is on fire) and either has to lead off an inning or is the potential 3rd out with runners in scoring position.

20. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    The other option, inty, is that teams could just get better hitting pitchers. Like the Giants. Who do everything right.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  21. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I'm not a huge fan of the DH (except insofar as it removes in-game decision-making from managers), but to be fair, pitchers have always been terrible hitters.

Amazing.

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Then they should work to be better hitters and not have special prima donna rules to keep them from batting.

jcgoble3 and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  23. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Like missing the playoffs every other year?

24. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I mean I was joking about them doing everything right, but I'll take missing the playoffs every other year if it means a ring in all the other ones lol

jcgoble3 and tom like this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The Giants and their fans have been tagging this season with "It's an even year." They certainly have high hopes for another championship.