main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

but in the last century we didn't start winning till the 1920's

but no one will catch up to 27 mathematically impossible to many variables

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I stopped reading after this.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Kershaws back is acting up again. No go for now. :(

4. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

how many championships did the Yankees have by 1916?;)

5. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Good The Yankees are playing hardball Don't give in to these teams demands, We don't have to trade anyone. There is a really good Free Agent class coming in 2018 including Bryce Harper and Tex, CC, and A-Rod are all coming off the books with in the next two years, The Yankees are going Shopping my friends:cool:
    MLB trade rumors: Cubs won't deal Kyle Schwarber for Yankees relief stars, report says

By Joe Giglio | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

There's a sense of urgency to win in Chicago, but not at the cost of long-term success and competing to win a World Series on a yearly basis.

If the opposite were true—and the Cubs desire to win a World Series in 2016 trumped the short and long-term future—no price would be too high to pay for difference-making relief stars like, say, Yankees' Aroldis Chapman or Andrew Miller.

While the idea of the Yankees and Cubs talking Schwarber has been out there since June—and enhanced this trade deadline season—don't expect Chicago to cave to Yankee demands.

Here's the latest from Julie DiCaro of 670 The Score in Chicago.

Julie DiCaro Once source this morning says the Cubs are not willing to pay what the Yankees want for Miller or Chapman. Namely: Schwarber.​

Julie DiCaro Also sounds like the Cubs are much less interested in rentals than others may believe. They want cost-controlled guys they can build around.​

Julie DiCaro My question to my source was if the Cubs were still pursuing Chapman. His response 'They aren't going to pay what the Yankees want.'​

On Wednesday, Chicago landed left-handed reliever Mike Montgomery in a deal with the Seattle Mariners, lessening the need for an impact southpaw out of the bullpen.

Schwarber, 23, burst on the scene last year during Chicago's second-half run to a National League wild card berth. The left-handed catcher/outfielder/possible future designated hitter, hit 16 home runs and posted a 130 OPS+ across 232 at-bats down the stretch. That was followed up by an OPS over 1.308 in the postseason.

Schwarber's been out for the season since suffering a knee injury in April.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  7. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Once the year 2018 passes the Bo-Sox will have a second 86 years of misery.

8. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

but they choked for what, 86 years? we had two really bad chokes since the 1920's I will give sox fans one thing they are just another Team now and I respect the Heck out of them, they are a classy organization, I love Papi and would cheer him at his last Yankee Stadium At Bat / Game!

Don't get me wrong I want the best possible prospects for any of the big three but If I am the Yankees I am not making a trade just to make a Trade we better be getting your best prospects back or I am fine with the Yankees standing pat. If The Cubs cant do a Chapman for Kyle Schwarber and a Good Starting Pitcher, and obviously some other minor players going the Cubs way, If they say no to that If I am Cashman I am hanging up the phone and dealing with the next team. The Cubs gotta be kidding:rolleyes:

9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    You've got to be kidding......Schwarber for Chapman straight up would be highway robbery for the Yankees and you want the Cubs to have to throw in one of their starting pitchers too? The Cubs are looking to improve their team, not get worse. You're putting WAY too much value on a guy who is only under contract for a few more months and also served a suspension for a domestic violence dispute. The Cubs are more interested in Miller anyways and he's worth more than Chapman is.

Point Given and Chromide like this.
  10. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Chapman for half of the Cubs!

11. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I am not saying straight up but now that you bring that up. the best closer in the game for an OK glorified DH There should actually be more coming the Yankees way. who has a higher WAR ? but what I am saying is, Chapman and some other players not named Miller or Betances for Schwarber and a really good starting pitcher prospect!

Chapman's WAR, 12.6
    Schwarber's WAR, 1.8

Those WAR numbers are life time.

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    This is insane. Schwarber's WAR is based on less than half a season, Chapman's is based on more than 6 seasons. No team is trading an impact bat controllable for the next 5 years for 20 relief innings and a qualifying offer.

Amazing.

13. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Even though he had a bad 4th inning, I think Pomeranz will be fine. He's pitched in the AL before.

Teheran on the other hand.... not someone I would want.

14. Chromide

Jun 20, 2015
    Mathematically impossible means nothing. This is baseball.... come on now. You know better than this.

15. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    that's my point, at this point who is the better player and worth more? Chapman is arguably one of the best closers in the game.

16. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Schwarber. Schwarber is probably already a better player and definitely worth far more. Because he's 20 times cheaper. And controllable for five years. And an every day player. It's really not even close.

Amazing.

cubman987 and Chromide like this.
  17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    but he is not going to put a team over the top to possibly be WS favorites Miller and Chapman will make a team that gets either one possibly favorites to win the ring, if teams really want that sure thing in the back end of the bullpen they will pay up to get the goods, I can guaranty that!

18. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    espn classic has been playing some good dodger and mets games from the 80s the last couple weeks. Strange fact: in 2016 beards and mullets are all over MLB. ,in the 80s everyone was clean shaven mostly and short haired.

KnightWriter likes this.
  19. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Chris Sale was scratched from his start and sent home by the White Sox aftet a "non physical clubhouse incident". He's had some problems with management in the past but they don't seem too keen on trading him, understandably.

20. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Why is that? Dude is a stud.

21. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I've seen a few Chicago sports writers claim Sale was upset about the team's throwback uniforms, which if true is unbelievably stupid.

22. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah, they are talking about it on all the games going on right now. They say Sale cut up all the throw back uniforms in the clubhouse. Lmao! I have never heard of anything like this before.

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I seem to recall Sale being a headcase. His weird reaction when LaRoche's kid got banned from the clubhouse and I recall him getting into fights on the field.

24. Chromide

Jun 20, 2015
    Because I don't see him being good in the AL East....

25. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    lol at first i thought he just cut up his own, i can't believe he cut them all up ! you beat me to the stuff about LaRoche's kid too.