main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Orville [Seth McFarlane's returning Sci-Fi Show]

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Sep 2, 2017.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm thinking the show will get gradually better over the course of the season, will squeak by a second season renewal (based on initial ratings) that will end up being really good and then Fox will cancel it. Because that's just how things tend to be.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    *coughSGUcough*

3. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    .....but the Rudolph part was the key turning point in the episode! Without it, Bortas would never know the true spirit of Christmas....

Seriously, EP. 3 was an unexpected gem. I hope MacFarlane takes more risks like this. He's making STDs job a whole lot harder.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And how his parents would have euthanized him at birth ("I don't think that was ever in the cards...").[face_laugh]

If this had been a TNG episode, they would have used a different cultural example other than a TV special, like a Shakespeare play or famous novel. The TNG future was one reluctant to acknowledge modern pop culture or TV in general (ironic that a franchise that thrived on TV did so by portraying a future where TV was a fad of technology).

This reminded me more of Babylon 5, which acknowledged that people will still be watching Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny 200 years from now. Even if it's just Garibaldi and Delenn.

Jedi Merkurian , Sarge and seeker_two like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I did like how Bortux's entire character perspective changed hinged on the transformative power of Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer which is totally a legitimate thing. My only gripe was when the female came in and revealed that she was the renowned author and everyone just immediately accepted it although that's really more of a pacing thing than anything.

The episode was directed by Brannon Bragga who worked as a writer/producer on Star Trek for years so he knew how to shoot it. And it was a funnier directorial choice to show the dancing bandito in a wide shot as opposed to a close up.

As for the moral conundrum, personally, after years of watching Star Trek, I always end up leaning towards whatever the culture requires. But still a nicely moving ending.

Favourite quip: "You are very small and fragile, do you realize that captain?" "There is an anti-bullying law named after me, yes I do realize it."

6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    While we're making requests for future Orville episodes, though it looks like we're not yet doing that, I'd like to request an episode about the Prime Directive and how everyone is always so reverent about the Prime Directive and so emphatic about how Prime it is and how much of a Directive, yet in practice Starfleet is always going to violate the **** out of it.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, the PD works better as a plot point or story obstacle than it would as a real social policy, IMO. The hero characters in Trek are almost always very clever at figuring out ways to work around it.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The Orville continues to do Star Trek things, as long as they keep the humor to a minimum, I will continue to enjoy it.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I keep reading this as Thorville, and imagining it's filled with snappy dialogue and dumb plots.

10. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Congratulations you have imagined a plausible outcome for once in your life.

11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    So far it's been adequate plots and bad dialogue.

12. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    It's derivative. The character design is lazy or terrible or both. It's painfully obvious what pastiches each character is meant to be, although some of them aren't torn from ST itself, but instead from situational comedies.

The humor usually misses because it isn't parody--that is, the plots could easily be confused for ST episodes and they're played earnestly and straight, so the humor undercuts all of the drama. The things happening around the characters are serious and full of moral ambiguity, not lighthearted or absurd, but they approach things like a workplace comedy, constantly shoving in 21st century reactions, jokes, and sensibilities to these alien, futuristic encounters.

It's not terrible, I just don't think it has any idea what it is. "If Star Trek were a comedy" doesn't really fit. It's more like if the characters from Rifftracks were in the episode instead of watching it.

The Orville doesn't really explore any new territory so much as let MacFarlane run around living out his childhood fantasies of being a spaceship captain.

13. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Ep 5 was fun. Very Treky and made more so by Riker directing the episode.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    “I never do it by the food. You know that.”

BigAl6ft6 and Gobi-1 like this.
  15. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I'm really enjoy The Orville. My favorite new show of the season.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The only problem is The Orville being in the same time slot as Arrow, since it moved to Thursday when it starts back this week.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I really liked the 4th ep because it was more TOS in spirit than most, I kind of dig Robert Knepper in anything, and it had a very Kirk type of line at the end "24 hours .... after 2000 years." The 5th ep had an interesting way to handle the Captain falls for nefarious woman plot if only because it threw in the time travel aspect and the closing minute or so was pretty good. (McFarlane is still credited for the script but I bet you that the time traveling vixen notion came from some of the Trek vets on the writing staff).

19. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Haven't been able to watch all the episodes but I like the show. I think it has a higher degree of difficulty than ppl give it credit for as they try to build characters you care about while still being a goofball spoof.
    Definitely willing to ride out the season.

20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Wow Ep 6 came together in a very chilling way there! Kelly Hu! Finally got to see a big Union ship. That red robed Krill was Gul Ducat!!!

21. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    How exactly are they planning on returning the children to their families?

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah that ceremony was nuts, which was way dark but oddly darkly amusing because it's just such an insane thing to do. I thought the Krill guy sounded familiar. Also noticed this episode was written by a Star Trek vet and directed by a 24 vet. The opening scene when the crew tries to see what Bordis could eat (Which is apparently everything) really felt like a Star Trek joke because they talk whole lot on Star Trek about food.

Here's an interview with the writer anyway talkin bout Orville, Star Trek and Futurama

https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/23/in...teway-and-how-futurama-landed-enterprise-job/

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought the upvote / downvote episode was good, it's actually one of the few episode concepts so far that felt genuinely unique and not entirely just a rebake of TNG and TOS concepts (although the guy dancing on the statue was kind of close to Westley stomping on forbidden flowers but I'll let it slide). I knew it would be an Issac hacks the feed solution but they did it in a way where Issac pumped it full of fake news instead of just changing the numbers.

Anyway, either surprising or not depending on your point of view, Orville officially has a Season 2 order!

https://www.cbr.com/orville-fox-renewed-season-2/

24. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I was so happy to hear it got S2 earlier today. I was very nervous it was gonna be a one and done so now I’m just pumped.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, that episode did reuse/nod at the TOS “parallel evolution” or whatever concept that TOS used a couple times when they needed an excuse for no budget or for when they wanted to deny they wanted to make a time travel show.

But beyond that, yeah, it seemed like a wholly unique premise- and a dense one too. They satirized social media, general media, fake news, Trumpism, etc while also fitting in seeds of other concepts as well.