main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Supernatural Force (The Ones, Priestesses, Magiks etc.)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Meeko Ghintee, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    To mangle a POTC quote, I see the Force more like a guide than a ruler, and I think Ezra's actions are a great example of someone to influence events. It's only Ahsoka's fate to survive because Ezra chose so. It's only Ben's fate to turn to the dark side because of the choices he and Luke make throughout their lives. It's less that they can't fight fate, but more that they can't not choose their own paths. Choice is a big theme throughout the saga; the future is set in stone because otherwise there would be paradoxes, but the future only exists as a function of the cumulative choices of every being in the galaxy.

All the WBW does is allow Force users to see what has already happened or already will happen; if they interfere with an event, then that always happens, same with if they witness an event and do not interfere.

Meeko Ghintee likes this.
  2. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Is a choice with an outcome that is already determined a choice, or just the illusion of one? If it is not the force that determines one's choices ok, but then it cannot be a guide either because if events are pre-determined to occur, not even the force can have a will. Nothing can. There's just a pre-formed, inveterate "is". The world within the narrative ceases to become anything but what it is in ours: people reading a script. Paradoxes with the future don't have to occur if the future is always in motion. But now we've established it isn't.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    cwustudent likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I feel like the best analogy is the "time is a river" one; it's always moving with no beginning and no end, but each section of the river is always the same. In this analogy the WBW is the riverbank, and the wolf portal is a tiny ledge that can only be accessed at one point in the river. Ezra reached the ledge at the right place and hopped onto the bank and was able to glimpse many different parts of the river at once. He was able to pull Ahsoka out of one part of the river, but chose not to pull Kanan out of another, and in the end Ezra and Ahsoka jumped back into their respective sections of the river.

Where does the Force play into this analogy? Perhaps a boat that people within the river can steer, perhaps a train running parallel to the river that people can ride to see all twists and turns in the river. Maybe all of the above. Things are only predetermined because they are already happening further down the river, and though some can use the Force to see up and down the river, they still need to travel down it to get there, and who knows what will happen along the way.

It's kinda like the opening line to the ROTS novel-
    So it's not so much a script, but a history whose inhabitants have written, are writing, and will have written.

whostheBossk and Meeko Ghintee like this.
  4. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

But the World Between Worlds seems more to me than just seeing a river. It's more than seeing a waterfall ahead. It's seeing the waterfall and seeing that you will desperately grab a tree branch to prevent yourself from going over and will still fall over anyway. It's more than seeing the shape of forces that could guide your actions. It's seeing your actions. They do see what will happen along the way. Unless the clips we heard were chosen more as a convenience rather than to indicate they were a set in stone future.

5. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Possibly; it might have been an unfortunate case of simply catering to OOU desires rather than showcasing an actual Force phenomenon at work; which of course explains why every quote was one we the audience were familiar with. Could also have simply been the Force talking to itself and just happening to sound like Yoda or Qui-Gon. Again, the Force works in mysterious ways. Or should I say Filoni? :p

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I can’t wait to find out what how the force will finish what Darth Vader started.

7. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015
    As I think about it more, Star Wars can't be deterministic. Why would Palpatine care about a device that shows him an unchangeable future (unless I guess he doesn't know it can't be changed).

Also something of interest, in the Recon for a World Between Worlds, Filoni states that the Chosen One prophesy is something common to many force cultures. Its not just the Jedi.

Hey, maybe it is: "Perhaps it was the will of the Force, that the Jedi, and all your kind perish." Maybe Kylo is just the Force's pawn in this sad, deterministic world. Maybe the force isn't inherently good. Why else would it all itself to be used by bad guys? [face_dunno]

cwustudent likes this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I spoiled myself last night, even though I'm only at S3 E8.

Now I must catch up and get to this wonderful thing! Holy.bantha.poodoo!

9. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015
    After watching "A World Between Worlds", I do think the idea that Lothal is the Ones' "homeworld" has some credence. Or at least the idea that it was the major point of contact between the ethereal World Between Worlds true home of the Ones and the physical galaxy. Or I don't know, maybe they are just archetypes as Sabine says. Jungian concepts that manifest themselves in a similar way across cultures in the psyche but not truly fleshy physical entities that can walk around on a planet. Like maybe the Ones are the Force but the Force presents itself as individuals to make itself more mentally comprehensible to mortals. Of course, this is in conflict with the Son's desire to leave Mortis and escape to the galaxy (unless this is just a metaphor for Anakin embracing the dark side).

10. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    I feel it would be cool if Bendu popped up again because he just dipped from Thrawn.

11. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Lothal is rooted strongly in the Force, like Dathomir, and likely has connections to the spirit realm as well. It would be interesting to have an origin story for the Ones, but it would also take away some of the essential mysterious quality to those demigods.

12. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    Can't stop thinking of this theory:
    Bendu=Father
    Son=White Loth-wolf
    Daughter=Morai

13. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Interesting theory, Wolf is angry sometimes and Aggressive, Morai is obvious Ahsoka owes the Daughter big time and Well the father was always in that middle sense with Kanan.

14. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015
    So at first glance, Ezra saved Ahsoka because he was always meant to save Ahsoka (i.e. because of the scene of her and the tunnel, we were never presented a timeline where Vader finished Ahsoka off). Which leads me to ask, can you actually change events in the World Between Worlds? Like, was there ever a timeline that existed where Ezra didn't save Ahsoka? A "Twin Pines Mall" timeline to the "Lone Pine Mall" one we've always been presented? Would Palpatine have become lord of time and space had the temple not been destroyed and able to bend events to his will?

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.
  15. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Depends on whether Lucas adopted the theory of an alternate / parallel universe in the framework of his creation. If we look at the Infinities comics, I'd say LFL is open to the idea. For the purposes of Rebels, it would seem the gateway (WBW) is a permanent fixture outside of the space time continuum, which can be manipulated to alter a specific timeline, but in doing so, you might be creating an alternate reality yourself. Ezras actions may have brought about a causality loop / temporal paradox, because his action in the WBW altered the past. However, he didnt time travel per say, he existed outside of time when he rescued her. Ahsoka never died, she's been on (presumably) Malachor this entire time.

16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Reminded me of the Last Action Hero...

I think potentially beings could enter and exit these portals if they have either direct or indirect forced access(Sidious using magik and awaiting Ezra opening a doorway)which kinda makes me wonder if Bendu and Talzin slipped in this world between worlds during their disappearing acts or just what was Maul after with the merging of the Holocrons.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    whostheBossk likes this.
  17. Grievpalpy75

Dec 31, 2015
    Something that just crossed my mind: Force beings are all Whills.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    When you mean the force beings are you talking about the father, son and daughter?

19. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I don't think Whills as sentient beings exists as a concept in Star Wars. "The Whills" is the force. IE Guardians of the Temple of the Whills are Guardians of the Temple of the Force. The force goes by different names, just as the light side and dark side are sometimes referred to as the Ashla and Bogan.
    The Journal of the Whills, The Journal of the Force, is "Star Wars" as we know it. The story of the GFFA's fictional universe. All it currently is, and everything untold. It doesn't exist in the Star Wars universe, it's in ours.
    Though I guess if you want to go really far out, you could refer to the World Between Worlds as the Journal of the Whills. It at least has everything told in the Star Wars universe. Presumably, there is stuff we haven't seen yet in those portals.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    cwustudent and RaptorMusic like this.
  20. Grievpalpy75

Dec 31, 2015
    All of them: The Ones, Force Priestessess, the Bendu etc.

21. Grievpalpy75

Dec 31, 2015

Edit: Sorry for double post.

Snafu55 likes this.
  22. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Well that being dwells on the "planet of the Midi-clorians" or "Force Planet",lol.

23. Grievpalpy75

Dec 31, 2015
    At first he replied that either the Father or Bendu ist most powerful, but he immediately deleted it for whatever reason. Bendu is the Father confirmed.

24. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Is what Pablo says even canon or just his own opinion & speculation? Most his tweets come off as nonsense and just his own opinions outside of the fantasy fiction.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  25. Grievpalpy75

Dec 31, 2015
    He said people shouldn't take anything he says on twitter as canon.