main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    wooooooooosh

Rogue_Follower, Juliet316 and harpua like this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

But they do. Your background, upbringing, experiences,i.e. culture, figures into your perception of things. There is no such thing as this clear and pure objectivity except in utopian fantasy worlds.

3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Better call Saul

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Drone strikes and marines usually fix things

Shame there's no oil in Baltimore

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    We had an interesting discussion about this on Facebook. Needless to say, there were some protests about legitimate issues going on. It was only when some people got violent that the media became involved. That's what's sad. The media doesn't pay sufficient attention to peaceful protests, but when things get violent, they come arunnin'. Nobody excuses the riots, but when people are squeezed and experience suffering, they tend to lash out.

"A riot is the language of the unheard."
    - MLK

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    It's fear of contagion

7. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh many DO recognize themselves in it. They just don't care unfortunately. Why would people actively be against a system they benefit from 100%?

8. deathraygun

deathraygun Jedi Knight star 3

May 8, 2014
    Not to say this never happens, but this same scenario could be played out with a different set of circumstances to the same effect.

So when I was stopped, and randomly selected a few times, it was probably..... privilege?

Since AA is a real, and still in practice "thing", and quotas are a thing that exists, is it far off to make an assumption such as this?

Again, change the circumstances, or don't -- and you could end up with the same result. Pulled over in Laredo, asked why I'm on the border.. pulled over in a "nice" neighborhood, told I had better leave quickly. Pulled over in a not nice neighborhood, and asked why I'm out so late, in this area.

Random police searches with the drug dogs, that was happening in the 90's at my predominantly white HS. Granted it's been about 20 years, and tech has changed, but this wouldn't surprise me. What was the reasoning behind the police action? How long has the program been in place? Was it discussed at a PTO meeting, or any notification at the beginning of the year, etc.

IMHO, most white people don't discuss this because of the end result is always "= racist". What's the point? It's typically lecturing or anger or a combo of both. This article, or posting talks about being SO PRIVILEGED, but I am curious as to what country/city/state/nation/location that you would point to that could be an example for the rest of the world as to how to handle a diverse population in a better way, where specifically black people are treated better/equals/etc. I haven't had the PRIVILEGE of traveling to Europe, or Asia, or Africa, or Australia. Are there places there that are better for minorities than America? That's a genuine question, I'm not being rhetorical.

The most difficult part of all the counter points to my belief system, is that I should acknowledge or treat people differently based on the color of their skin. I judge people on their character. It's part of my issue with "white privilege", that I should somehow acknowledge that there's a blanket effect in regards to race, when I've grown up in a very race-neutral family. I do think racism exists, but it's at such low levels, and in weird places, that it's of no consequence. The cops that arrested Freddie Gray, are a diverse group -- so systemic racism then? And if you want to change the system because you believe it's racist by design, then what exactly is your solution to change it? From the various examples cited ITT, it's more government interaction. Hell, Reverend Al suggested nationalizing the police force. Is that really what you want? What happens when the next guy in charge is President Cruz or Walker, and the police report to that person, are you comfortable with national control versus local municipalities?

Another thing:

[​IMG]

The most racist parts of America. #goTexas (West Texas is comprised of exactly, like.. no one. Port Arthur, my hometown, there in the red in SE Texas, scores high but is minority-majority. I would've figured California to be a bit higher, or white dominated states such as Nebraska. Curiously, the most racist parts are states that have high minority populations. What does that say about diversity?

And two, since when has "white privilege" become such a global phenomenon, and not America-centric? Does it exist in non-caucasian dominated countries, such as India, and China? Or is it just 1st world countries that experience this?

Jedi Merkurian Feel free to chime in on this also, as I know you have some informed opinions.

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Thanks for the tag [face_coffee] How about we get back to...
    Again, let me comment that I find it fascinating that you seldom -if ever- discuss the concept commonly referred to as "white privilege" without showing contempt for those who bring it up o_O

I'm interested to know why it is that you feel that white privilege is synonymous with white guilt, reparations, or the vilification of whites, white men in particular. Where do you get this? Where does it come from? Personally, I feel that vilifying whites will not create true understanding, no more than vilifying blacks will. You simply cannot persuade people to your point-of-view while simultaneously telling them they're horrible human beings.

Personally, this is my favorite analogy about the concept referred to as white privilege. One reason in particular I prefer it is precisely because I don't see any vilification or denigration, or calling for reparations, or guilt-tripping. Do you? I'm not trying to play "gotcha," here. It's clear to me that you and I see certain aspects of the world differently. We'll never understand one another unless and until we can get some grasp of how we see the world.

So if I understand you correctly, you think that whites goad blacks into rioting as a method of controlling blacks and destroying predominantly black neighborhoods? If I'm correct, please expand on that. If I'm wrong, please clarify.

[face_peace] [face_coffee]

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    I'm glad you personally feel that way. I would say it starts with those terms are all aimed at pointing out some invisible, non-tangible, percieved typically by certain segments of society, benefit that strictly white males possess, with or without their knowledge. It's like being a really great golfer, but unaware that you're good at golf and it sets you apart from the crowd. The term itself was coined by a feminist who has an axe to grind with white males in particular. So from 1920's WE Dubois during his various trips of praising Communists to 1980's, the term and concept was just racism, and now it's better since we 'repackaged' it. Typical control of pop culture terms to make them seem benign. To the concept itself.. Is there such a thing as black privilege, so on and so forth? Would each culture on the planet have a favorable bias towards a person that resembles more closely that culture? Is that a privilege? Should I shun Hispanic culture because I'm not looked upon favorable and I'm put at a disadvantage when I'm working/living in a Hispanic dominated area? And if it's more to do with the historical concept of blacks-slavery-America-whites, then when does concept terminate..? If the top job is held by a person who identifies as black, along with many people in the cabinet is that not proof that what you think of as white privilege has been severely diminished?

Well, who is exactly goading these people into destroying these particular neighborhoods? How did they get there.. ? Did they take a bus, drive a car, walk? Do they live there? If they live there, why destroy your own home? If they were bussed in, as many reports have suspected, who is busing them in, and why can't whomever that is also afford to bus them to the DPS to get a drivers license or other documentation in order to vote as the case is frequently made that transportation cannot be afforded.

Enjoy your coffee and cheers!

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Erm, Dead Reagan? Merk was trying to ask what you think?

You're literally the only person in the whole thread that has come up with the "riots are a way to control the black community" (conspiracy???) theory. So we want you to explain what you meant when you said it, since it's not apparent to the rest of us. Merkurian has already shared extensively about why he thinks the riots happened, and it didn't involve busing anyone anywhere.

12. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    Someone else ITT posted about "professional protesters", but I would agree with whomever stated that. Here it suggests that there's a link from social media accounts to the protesters

I do think it's a way to control the the black community, I think it's a power play -- I would point to the charges that were leveled so quickly at the officers that's really nothing more than an answer to mob rule, and Souderwan or someone else suggested that it would result in an acquittal or mistrial. That's true, it probably will, because they still have to prove intent, and anything beyond that will probably just be negligence. "Did you follow BPD procedure when transporting the suspect?" "No"... ok, what does that result in? What positive outcome do you see coming from destruction of private and public property? But the negative stereotype is reinforced once again. Who benefits from disenfranchised, angry, black youth portrayed in the media as such? Even with Ferguson, the riots solved ............ nothing. The DOJ came in and still couldn't offer the verdict and alter the legal outcome for Officer Wilson to appease mob rule.

13. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    srsly. this guy has to be a troll.

14. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i'm white and i had some things happen to me that were kind of similar to things that happen way more often to black people in this country SO I'M NOT PRIVILEGED K GUYS PRIVILEGE ISNT REAL

15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yes, it's far off to make the assumption. You never assume that a white person was chosen because of his/her race. You automatically assume all white people are qualified for what they are chosen because they're white. But when a minority is chosen, you start assuming that they're not qualified enough and are only being chosen for their race to fit a quota. The effect here is that you think there aren't any nonwhites qualified. What do we call that?

16. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    pren, you're ginger, you don't count

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Would be funny if rioters only came with public buses.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He also claimed to speak for "most white people." LOL.

I was right earlier. The "b...bu...but" ism is strong with this one.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Is it really about all minorities though? Do we really second guess the Indian or Chinese student who might go to Princeton or a high tech U? The second guessing seems to come primarily with black Americans.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999

obviously it's because black men are such thugs that the police need tools like rough rides at their disposal to keep them in line.

A little note about white male privilege I've brought up before but is relevant to my life. Young women are kicking ass so thoroughly on test scores, outside activities and their high school GPAs that a lot of major universities have had to lower admissions standards for white men in order to keep their student body as close to 50/50 male/female as possible. Affirmative action at work.

Next time you see a young white male at Princeton, you need to ask yourself, does he really belong there?

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh that's a touchdown with a 2 point conversion.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    First and foremost: Where is the vilification of whites in this statement of yours? Where is the demand for reparations? I honestly don't see it. The way I see it, just because an advantage exists, it does not make someone a bad person for benefiting from it, especially if they're doing so unconsciously. Do you agree or disagree?

Secondly, the concept referred to as white privilege is not limited to white men. For example, the article quoted by Souderwan recently was written by a woman.

Assuming for the sake of conversation that this is true, how does it make what she says false? Should I discount the initiative geared towards allowing ex-cons better job opportunities just because the Koch brothers are supporting it?

Ah yes. The argument that we've "defeated racism" because we have a black President [face_plain]

Compared to people of color, blacks in particular, yes. As several of us have pointed out many many times in this thread, studies have shown that bias against blacks, especially black males, goes as far back as elementary school, and as far forward as a job applications. To your example, Billy Bob Schmidt from the trailer park can clean himself up, apply for a job a W. Robert Schmidt*, and be more likely to get hired than Sha'quan Jackson who grew up in the suburbs.

Ummmm...that's the question that I am asking you, based on...

Do you think that outside instigators are spurring on riots in Baltimore? The only evidence that I have seen coming anywhere close to this is the case of a 19 year old white kid from Illinois who admitted to stealing guns and planning to sell them in Ferguson for that purpose.

*seriously. One of my old bosses went by "W. Robert (last name)" If we wanted to annoy him, we called him Billy Bob [face_mischief]

24. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Sha'quan Jackson is a victim of apostrophe discrimination

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I was going a bit broader than college. This secong guessing is everywhere, from movies to politics.