Saga Visual Links

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by HevyDevy, Sep 13, 2012.

Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    Another good selection here, Samnz.

You're beginning to think quite abstractly about space and character habitation -- I can see.

I tell you what I dig noticing it just now: the red and then blue reflections coming off Amidala and Sidious and Maul respectively in those adjacent images. See it? The sheen of the world of the "Old Republic".

The Sith frames are excellent, too. I've always loved that "hero" shot of Anakin, confidently strutting forward, the wind blowing his garments, walking away from Obi-Wan (irony), his own man. In a child-like gesture, however, that cuts both ways, Artoo remains faithfully at his side, even here, when the guy is looking like an Adonis.

The shot of Padme waiting is delectable. Her sentient gaze is very nearly being cast on Anakin like those eerie light rays in the background. And what a background it is, with those numerous pillars curving into the distance, snaking 'round like some super-sized zoetrope. Padme and pillars. Think back to TPM. She is somehow associated with the lonely grandeur of this period. And black to his black. The blood-red floor is also strikingly suggestive. But I also love the grey and brown floor decals which characterize ROTS.

Luke lives in a world of such grain compared to these smooth, polished, bright, and very controlled shots found in ROTS. It's a pretty sharp contrast: from an enlarged world of dream and illusion to a quotidian recuperation on a dustbowl world. The symbolic challenge to the Republic / Empire comes from the sparest planet in the saga.
    Last edited by Cryogenic, Mar 9, 2014
    ThreadSketch, QuangoFett and Samnz like this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer Force Ghost

star 6
    Interesting attempted connections via the first page. Though I think some are over reaching and misinterpreted. Particularly regarding Dooku. He never 'asked' Anakin to use his anger. He called the boy out for not using it. There's a difference.
    Last edited by Cushing's Admirer, Mar 9, 2014
  3. HevyDevy Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Well, yeah. He was trying to make Anakin angry though, by taking Kenobi out of the fight for example. The whole encounter was a Sith test for Anakin afterall.
  4. sharkymcshark Jedi Master

star 2
    There are some really good posts in this thread, and a hell of a lot of barrel scraping going on as well.
  5. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    Star Wars is a very big barrel to scrape around in.
    FRAGWAGON, Seagoat, minnishe and 2 others like this.
  6. bstnsx704 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Hardly a legitimate link, I know, but just something stupid that came to mind.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  7. bstnsx704 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  8. Han Burgundy Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    A humorous moment of successful "persuasion"
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

You know, despite the obvious personality differences, it is remarkable how similar of a role Jar Jar plays in TPM to the one Han plays in ANH.
  9. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    I've said this and been pilloried for it -- but it's true.

Though, what's interesting about the shots you've just pulled up, is that Jar Jar is compositionally linked with Threepio.

Great juxtaposition.
  10. thejeditraitor Force Ghost

star 4
    thought i'd put this here as well...

i really love how the rotj death star spire turned into the jedi temple spire.

[IMG]

[IMG]

also the emperor's medical center.

.[IMG]

the duel in ROTJ is in the throne room spire. also the duel in aotc is in the geonosian spire.

[IMG]

rots duel in the invisible hand spire...

[IMG]
    after the duel in esb luke also ends up on an inverted spire.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Last edited by thejeditraitor, May 15, 2014
  11. Julius Vernon Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    @thejeditraitor

This is terrific. I hadn't thought of this connection before, but it brings to mind the philosophical history of primordial mounds that have been studied extensively by anthropologists.
    thejeditraitor and Cryogenic like this.
  12. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    Indeed. A great insight.
    thejeditraitor likes this.
  13. darklordoftech Force Ghost

star 5
    Ruler of the galaxy arrives:

[IMG]

Ruler of the galaxy arrives:

[IMG]
    Cryogenic likes this.
  14. Imperial Reject Jedi Master

star 1
    I always liked this comparison

[IMG]
    Cryogenic, Seagoat, Vthuil and 7 others like this.
  15. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    ^^^
    Nice. Just what this sort of thread should be about.
  16. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn The Other Saga Moderator

Manager
    star 6
    Interesting how the braids/curls in the painting are mirrored in the Queen's headpiece. Twice, even.
    Last edited by Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn, Jun 9, 2014
    Cryogenic likes this.
  17. Seagoat Force Ghost

star 4
    A lot of SW is inspired from religion. George mimicking poses from more well known biblical art doesn't surprise me at all, frankly. I believe he once even directly referred to Palpatine as a sort of "Satan figure"
  18. Imperial Reject Jedi Master

star 1
    Yes,I remember watching Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed on the History Channel it had a lot of stuff like that, it really opened my eyes about a lot of stuff in the films and I think they even used the painting that I posted as well
  19. SlashMan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'm thinking there might be use for a thread of non-Star Wars films that have possible connections with Saga, just to disambiguate it from the countless times the series references itself. That being said, I'll throw one out there that looks like a possible influence:
    [IMG]
    This is Alla Nazimova from the film SALOME (1923). To me, this really had a Queen Amidala feel to it, particularly this gown:
    [IMG]

From moon gadget, there was a more direct comparison between an earlier dress, and a Mongolian Princess's attire:
    [IMG]

Between Leia and Amidala, there's a lot to appreciate in the wardrobe department; Lucas didn't go with the cliched 'This is a princess. This is a queen'.
  20. grungebunny Force Ghost

star 1
    One of Padme's costumes is based of Borte, wife of Genghis Khan. I think its the one above. Genghis met her when he was 9. Genghis was also a slave as a child. He became leader of an empire and a villain known for his brutality. Genghis was also not his birth name, he got it when he was proclaimed leader of the Mongols.

[IMG]
    Grand Duchess Xenia Alexandrovna is the inspiration for her episode 2 outfit.

[IMG]

Her wedding dress seems to come from Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother

Two of her costumes are inspired by Elizabeth I

[IMG][IMG]

Start of episode 2 her high collar senate outfit. Its not a ruff. Its a mix of the high collar and the silhouette of the open ruff

[IMG]

The end of episode one has the halo favoured by Elizabeth.
    Last edited by grungebunny, Aug 2, 2014
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn