main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Don't know how long all the executive changes will last, considering the breaking new that AT&T and Time Warner Merger has cleared the DOJ efforts to block merger.

Reports are that the Aquaman trailer to drop this week as it was screen a CineEurope.

3. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
  4. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Some DC film news:
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/joker-flash-more-dc-film-news/

Relevant quote:

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I hope this is a turning point for DC on film. I don't need a perfectly cohesive shared universe that builds towards a big threat everyone has to team up to take on; I just want good movies that do the characters justice.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, with the success of Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy and the failures of the Green Lantern film and some extent, Superman Returns, WB/DC tried to learn from those experiences and applied them to Man of Steel and the following films of the DCEU. Meaning, they shied away from the fun and humor (Green Lantern) and the classic version of Superman and went with a more grounded and realistic Superman in Snyder's deconstructive Man of Steel and following films.

And now WB/DC is trying to learn from the box office disappointment of Justice League and the box office success of Wonder Woman and applying those lessons to the upcoming films. I think they are taking steps in the right direction, in that, they put their characters first in their approach to movie making; the opposite of Snyder's deconstructive approach.

I like that Aquaman is getting some positive buzz and I hope the film lives up and exceeds the good vibes. And I have a feeling that Shazam! will be a fun and entertaining film.

With Marvel Studios skipping out on SDCC this year, WB/DC has a great opportunity to break the internet with some great announcements, which to me would be a proper follow up to Man of Steel and concrete news on Matt Reeve's The Batman, whether it includes Affleck or not. Both those characters are just one universally loved film away from re-establishing their respective franchises as box office smashes.

7. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Just as long as they don't go back into Batman and Robin territory. :p

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    LOL! That's a lesson that WB/DC should never forget.

[​IMG]

I still can't believe this film was ever made. It set back Batman back to the 1960s, with Adam West. However, it was the first live action reference to a shared universe I recall with the mention of "why Superman works alone."

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "Batman Forever" beat it to the punch with, "The circus must be halfway to Metropolis by now" line.

10. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    hair off, mera vs

[​IMG]

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Those Aquaman photos are quite inspiring. That first shot with James Wan is certainly an underwater scene. I'll be interested in how the characters talk to each other underwater. Perhaps just like they do above. I mean, why complicate things, but I'm sure they've figured something out.

The second picture looks like a hint at the plot of the film, where Arthur and Mera have to do some Indiana Jones type treasure hunting, perhaps in Greece. It's likely to playoff the lost city of Atlantis too.

The pic with Nicole Kidman (to me) is obviously baby Arthur being given to his father before she's killed.

The third pic is a nice stand off between Arthur and Orm. Arthur's armor is one point and much better than the Justice League version.

It's cool to see Black Manta, although I hope that's not the final design for the helmet.

Mera wins the Hairoff, hands down.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Are we taking budget/cg Vs wig into account?

There’s a joke among Liverpool fans...well, I say joke, but it’s a reality...that Everton fans are more interested in Liverpool’s failures than their own success. Liverpool are *****, failure after failure. Always ignoring the fact that a Liverpool failure is better than any Everton success in the last couple of decades.

Please don’t go full everton, heelsy ;(

heels1785 likes this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    im more like wet sham. in outside-of-jc reality i have always liked liverpool and everton equally, but I have more fun making fun of liverpool on the internets because everyone likes them and mocks everton and there should be at least one person on the other side. call me the martyr of wet sham, much like fat sam.

if you catch my drift.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    @Darth Punk I think heels is drunk and by the sound of it, he’s your problem.

Darth Punk and heels1785 like this.
  16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    punky’s gone, and he took the kids.

Darth Punk and Diggy like this.
  17. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    The EW pics mean a trailer is likely just around the corner. Won't be long now.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Not coincidentally, this is also what you guys say about DC finally making a tolerable film.

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    EDIT: double post

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Yeah, without reading back too far past diggy’s summons, West Ham are the movies equivalent of the Guy Ritchieverse.

A bit of success years ago, but nowadays just entertaining flops.

Diggy likes this.
  21. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That's just freaking AWESOME!!! I'm going to assume that's Aquaman's army on the seahorses and Orm's with the sharks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, I'm hyped for Aquaman.

23. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Orm's on the sharks yes, but King Nereus's (Dolph Lundgren) on the seadragon's (a related species to seahorses, they have leaf shaped fins for hiding in kelp beds).

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  25. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Seems like a last minute change of plans. Between saying the trailer would be out "in the coming days" at CineEurope (which sounds like something less than a month) and the EW feature it would seem obvious they were aiming for either this weekend or early next week. And that would be right at 6 months before release. But with Marvel already taking a pass on SDCC this year and the double whammy of HBO announcing today that GoT and Westworld would be doing the same and the Chris Hardwick (who was set to host the Doctor Who panel) situation emerging the con was looking like it was going to have a rough year. Maybe someone at WB decided to do them a solid.

I don't know that it's a good decision for the movie itself though. Of the three definite movies in the DC slate, it could be argued it's the only one that needs to do any sort of reset in the minds of the GA. WW is fine and Shazam is new. Now they can't run a trailer in front of either JW2 or AM&TW.