main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I remember Bayville NY & Bayville CT both claimed to be the "home of Evolution" at least I think those were the states.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Back when Age of Apocalypse was coming out when I was in middle school, The Offspring's Smash had recently come out and one song in particular on that album, Gotta Get Away, became linked in my mind to AOA (mostly because of the more ominous, paranoid tone and certain lyrical connections [though I now know I actually misheard the lyrics that I thought had the strongest connection]).

So, I took it as a good sign when, just as I was getting in my car after buying my ticket for XMA this morning for this evening, Gotta Get Away started playing. Great, nostalgic coincidence.

X-Men: Apocalypse- A mostly enjoyable, but slightly flat, entry in the series that tries to both put too much into one film while also delivering things X-fans have waited for over a decade (or longer) to see onscreen. Because of that ambition not quite succeeding, the film ultimately does not end up being a high point in the franchise but nor does it come close to approaching the low points of X3 & Origins either (though it does manage to get in one more jab at X3).

In many ways, this is more of a sequel to First Class than Days of Future Past. That's both its strength (in terms of character focus) and its weakness- I mentioned before how it tries to fit too much in and I believe it is because the film treats DOFP as something like a detour or side-story and only now is returning to provide us First Class 2... packed inside First Class 3.

For the most part it doesn't collapse under that weight, but it does stumble a little as it rushes on occasion through some subplots that probably cold have used a little more time or streamlining.

The only real weaknesses of the film are some of Moira's exposition and the cheesy reactionary lines by human military/government characters (another thing it shares with First Class- though the instances in FC were obviously waaay worse). Mystique didn't feel like a strong inclusion in the story this go around either (and JLaw doesn't seem like she wants to be there). Also, is it me, or does Mystique's makeup get worse every film?

The rest of the cast often come close to stealing the movie (Quicksilver & Jean in particular) or leave you wanting more (Psylocke). Apocalypse himself is a decent villain- creepy at times but too distant (except when they go full-on voice FX as it should be) but I think it's undercut by the decision to not make him taller.

In the end, you get an upper-middle entry in the series that could be the most X-Men-y X-Men film yet. It finally feels like we've broken free of the restrictive realism of the original films and have reached a mid ground between it and the world of the X-comics, allowing the series to explore the wilder corners that would have previously been off-limits.

My ranking:

X2
    (Deadpool!)
    DOFP
    X1
    The Wolverine
    Apocalypse
    FC
    X3
    Origins

3. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I enjoyed the movie. Epic scope, never really felt like too much was going on. Enjoyed Oscar Isaac as Emperor Palpatine, etc etc. Liked it as much as DOFP for the most part. First Class is still my favorite.

4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Now that you mention it, Apocalypse is a better Palpatine than Palpatine. At least with Apocalypse I understand his reasoning. And less cackling.

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    So simply put, wait for the Redbox rental, right?

6. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    The biggest problem I have with the X-Men First Class trilogy vs the original X-Men trilogy is Mystique's role. In the original trilogy, Mystique was never mentioned as being a close friend to Xavier or being integral in forming the X-Men. There are other contradictions, some which can be explained away with off-screen events, but that's the biggest problem. If not for the fact that the opening scene of First Class is the same (minus the actors) as the first scene in X-Men, and Patrick Stewart/Ian McKellen reprised their roles in DOFP, I would say they're two separate trilogies in terms of continuity. As much grief as Origins: Wolverine gets, it fits into the original continuity better than the prequels.

7. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    This movie is proving to me once and for all that comic book fans don't really know what they want. With the first movies, they complained that they are too grounded, afraid to be too out there and outlandish, afraid to be too big and adapt the costumes accurately. Now they've thrown any kind of grounding entirely out the window, are way out there and unapologetically outlandish, having a plot where the world was nearly devoured in the 80s by a supermutant. The stakes are literally apocalyptic. It can't get any bigger. Psylocke's sexist fetishistic costume is adapted slavishly from the page of the comic book and at the end of First Class, everyone were in their classic yellow outfits, and Magneto in his full flamboyant getup with the scarlet robe and shiny helmet.

The villain that fans have been clamouring for seeing on screen for the past 16 years, which by the way is the least interesting of all the X-Men villains and I have no idea why people want to see him on screen, is brought to life. In the source material, he's just a boring Big Bad. All he wants is to either rule the world or annihilate it. Why? Does he have some grand design for the prosperity of mankind? No. Just vanity. I should rule it because I can. Well, that's exactly what you got. Now, people are saying it's not interesting enough. Well, duh. It's a generic doomsday movie with superhumans sprinkled in. What did you honestly expect from a movie called X-Men Apocalypse?

He justifies his actions in the comics as promoting survival of the fittest, but isn't the world already at all times survival of the fittest if left to its own devices? Or do we have some godly protection we don't know about?

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Unfortunately, this movie isn't doing well. It has only made $26.4 million and is estimated to reach around $80 million by the end of the holiday weekend. It might change, but it is off to a rough start.

9. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    That's the problem. I WANT that stuff but I'm not given it. I got blue and yellow costumes in First Class and characters who LOOKED like their comic versions... all of which were promptly tossed out in DoFP. I got Magneto in his classic outfit... for 1 minute. Psylocke having an accurate costume in Apocalypse is about the only positive thing I can say about the movie and 1 character being good is not reason enough for me to see it knowing the rest is the same ole same ole of boring black costumes where everyone looks the same and the movie has no interest in embracing the aesthetic or the characters.

I have no interest in seeing an X-Men film until the X-men actually start LOOKING like the X-men. And I mean for more than one shoehorned Easter egg at the end of each movie as though that makes up for the rest of the movie being in civilian clothes or all black outfits.

I know what I want. They just aren't giving it.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't say it's rental-only, but it's not must-see-in-theaters. But if you do see it in theaters, it doesn't feel like a waste of money. Unlike X3 or XMOW you wouldn't feel bad about buying a boxset including this movie in it.

Her unmentioned role in forming the X-Men works well in original continuity- Xavier knew her as a child, but after Cuba she went her own way, assassinated Trask and never returned to the X-fold. Chuck rebuilt without her and their friendship was over for 30-40 years until she reemerges with the Brotherhood in X1.

As for XMOW- they had, like, 15 seconds of Wolverine flashbacks they had to stay consistent with and they couldn't even manage that, lol.

The irony of continuity is that XMA actually fixes (or implies that it fixes) a FC continuity error with X1/X2 (re: Eric helping Chuck build Cerebro).

I will say that the movie Apocalypse only occasional evokes the comic/animated version. The source character has a stronger emphasis on only the strongest surviving and we only get a couple glimpses of that philosophy at play here. The movie version is much more petty as a being that just wants total control, worship wrapped in a false fatherly demeanor. He lacks the purity of ideology that inspired others to follow the source character.

That's not a rough start- the current $82+m estimate exactly within the range that was expected (though some had predicted up to 100). Given that Alice is siphoning off some business (it may be bombing but it also stole all IMAX screens this weekend so XMA doesn't have that extra boost) and XMA was expected to come down from DOFP's franchise high, 82+ is a pretty good 4-day take.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    As far as Psylocke's costume, they were going to make it different, Munn wanted it the way it is on screen.

Anyway, I was expecting a horrible movie as far as reviews go but got something good instead. Not perfect, not even close.

Apocalypse, his powers are not consistent. If he can disintegrate people with barely a thought then why not with the heroes?

They did not do enough with Psylocke.

Magneto and Quicksilver:
    So the world is going to end and you are right there to turn him back to the good side aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then don't tell him your his child. wtf

I did geek out big time when
    Phoenix walked out to the balcony and then stepped on air and summoned up the Phoenix Force. Nice. Also when Charles goes to battle in the mindscape.

Behold the star power of Jennifer Lawrence who is the leader instead of Cyclops. Maybe in the next film he takes over?

Everything Fassbender does is pretty much gold.

So overall I liked it.

12. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    One gets the sense that Lawrence sees herself above these kinds of movies at this point, so she has as few scenes as possible in Mystique's natural blue form. Considering she is now an established and respected actress, one sympathises with her not wanting to spend 10 hours in make-up every day of shooting (it does really take that long to apply the Mystique getup), only to then having to walk around near-naked on set. I don't begrudge her the sentiment and can appreciate Fox obliging her. One only wishes she had returned the favour with a stronger performance than what she delivers.

Unfortunately, it does also betray her character's self-acceptance and confidence when she wears a persona even where she doesn't need to blend in. On the other hand, maybe her character is not so comfortable with being nearly naked around people either. If she wears actual clothes, she can't morph when needed, as the clothes aren't part of her body, but if she creates fake clothes, she has the best of both worlds.

Addendum:
    Regarding Apocalypse, I don't know, he does lament that the weak have taken over the world instead of those who rightfully should. He sees himself as inherently worthy due to his power and warns that the weak will be destroyed. He never states the phrase "survival of the fittest" outright, but it's clear from his portrayal through the course of the movie that he only worships power, and demands the same from others who are beneath him. He never brings to fruition a method to determine worthiness, but one could argue he gets offed before getting the opportunity to articulate it.

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, if anything, the one thing the film has going for it is that it finally gives us so many things from the X-Men comics and cartoons that fans have asked for for so long.

1) Finally getting the ***damn motherfracking FIREBIRD that we were ****ing promised thirteen ***damn years ago!
    2) Astral plane battles!
    3) A Danger Room with actual Sentinels (granted, it's a tease, but X3's was also a tease while simultaneously being bullcrap).
    4) Wolverine in full-on Weapon X getup, complete with cyber helmet.
    5) Archangel (sure, his origin is somewhat different, but his conversion was done to Metallica's "Four Horsemen" so all is good).
    6) Magneto vs Apocalypse (albeit lacking the finality of their AOA confrontation- but, oh, how I wished they had given Fassbender the long hair in his exile)
    7) Cyclops's origin ([Obi-Wan]"That bit from XMOW doesn't, doesn't count."[/Obi-Wan])
    8) "School blowing up builds character."
    9) Psylocke being a badass (albeit for far too little screentime but, damn, if that landing off the plane wasn't worth her inclusion)

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I forgot the praise the Quicksilver scene.

It was awesome.

Praise complete.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, they really did manage to top the DOFP one.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No, go and see it on the silver screen, it is worth it.

We will have to disagree on this.

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Well $:#(!@, I guess I have to rent this then for one scene. Is it true that
    Jean Grey etc. bust him out?
    because [face_sick]

18. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    saw it , liked it. spoilers...
    first of all this movie is 21 years after First Class and yet....NO ONE IS AGING...
    a couple points on 'humor'...the Stan Lee cameo was in the wrong place. Nukes are going off and they throw that in for laughs....wrong place. Then literally a minute later they do the same thing with Quicksilver. Again...world coming to an end...Now Laugh. On top of that for him to rescue everyone out of the mansion, he's not a fast guy he's apparently a teleporter.
    Angel...this is the character that's really just thrown away. His backstory is completely gone now. He's just some guy with wings.
    Apocalypse...i don't remember him being so powerful in the comics, but then i didn't read all of them . I wasn't even sure why he needed Horsemen if he's that powerful. The Jean-Phoenix stuff i'm actually tired of now. I wish she'd just be Jean and be done with it.
    Other than that overall i liked it. the post credits scene was a little in the weeds. Certainly not coming close to the Apocalypse reveal in the last movie.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    True. They're not there for that specific purpose, however.

They do joke about the aging when they meet Moira.

Angel's backstory could still be there. We don't know what he was doing before he was captured and forced to fight in that underground cage match.

Pocky needs the Horsemen to protect him when he's vulnerable during transfers and to do his bidding since he can't be everywhere.

That said, the movie version of the character is way more powerful than the comic version.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  20. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Having seen the movie, there is only one thing that bugs me:

We really could have done without the whole Alkalai Lake sequence if Hugh wasn't available. Cut that entire sequence and there would have been more room for development for the rest of the plotlines. It's literally used as a way to separate the main cast out from the background extras. But because of that, they have to give the cast flight suits as their uniforms which are conveniently there same with the jet instead of giving us the blackbird and x uniforms that Beast developed. Yes I realize Alex blew up the mansion (and himself. Dumbest death ever.), but some sort of "the hanger survived" excuse would be just fine if they had chosen to stay on the mansion grounds and never brought Stryker and the rest into it.

It's a nice sequence. But it's literally there for Hugh Jackman I feel. It felt like the Rogue cut scene detour actually made more sense to the overall movie plot than this included scene did. Had they cut this in favor of giving more screen time to Apocalypse and the other three horseman or to developing Scott, Jean and Kurt a bit further, that would not have been bad. Or maybe actually letting Jubilee "blow stuff up". Instead, it feels like a laborious scene soley designed to fit Jackman's cameo. Again, not that the scene wasn't worth it: it was. But it may also be part of what kept the moving from being better as it took up valuable screen time.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah actually it didn't add much to the movie. they could have used it for more backstory on characters really.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It oddly seems to have more to do with the next film than this one.

And also raises the question of how Logan ended up in Stryker's possession after Mystique rescued him from the river in DOFP posing as Stryker.

23. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    the writer probably misremembered the last one

24. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

well... (Cap comics spoiler)
    If Cap has secretly been Hydra all along, Mystique has secretly been working with Stryker all this time...

25. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I thought the movie was marvelous. I walked in cold, having only seen the trailers. I didn't expect singer and the writers to undo the damage of X3, but I believe that Days of Future Past and this film succeeded in doing so. I don't know if I like this as much as X2 and Days of Future Past, but I know I like it as much as The Wolverine. Wonderful stuff.

I loved McAvoy, Lawrence, Fassbender, and Turner. I really didn't expect Jean Grey to be such a prominent presence in the film, and I liked how Turner handled it. She must have been intimidated by having to act with greats, including the aforementioned and Isaac. But she was wonderful. I suppose you could say that Summers was shafted again, and I understand why one of you above me felt they were repeating themselves. (It appears to me as if Singer liked Wolverine better than Cyclops, and now he likes Mystique better than him.) I don't know how to feel about that, although I love Cyclops as a character. Film is a different medium, and I suppose they want to focus on morally ambiguous characters, though there are stories in which that Summers is written that way, particularly after losing Jean.

What made me sad was that Raven, Charles, and Erik all respect each other now, but too much has happened between them for them to feel close with one another. That's the main tragedy of the story in my estimation.

I guess I'm a Fried Green Tomatoes kinda girl, and so the womanly power we've seen in the X films since 2011 has been awesome for me. He he. :D[face_love]