main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Embrace The FU - Formerly the STAR WARS IS BAD thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -polymath-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    he was refering to situation after the film became such a phenomenon . You really believe that Lucas conceived the whole thing in the hope of selling toys ? Remember how reluctant the toy companies were to do SW toys - that's why none were available when the movie came out

2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    No, he was referring to the production & the lead-up to the movie's release. That whole section of the documentary is about that.

3. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    think about it - Lucas's plan is to make a fortune selling toys , what's his plan ? - make the most succesfull picture of all time . Cunning plan .

if you wanted to sell toys in the 70s you made a tv show , tv shows are on all year round , constant advertising ( 6 Million Dollar Man etc.) movies take years to make and can disappear in 2 weeks .
    This is one of the main reasons Fox gave him the merchandise - it wasn't worth anything back then , it only worked if you ended up with a franchise and of course that was very rare , toy companies had lost plenty on other movies that flopped ( see Dr. Doolittle) .

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Star Wars wasn't just a film though, wasn't it also for toys.

I wasn't around then, but from what I read in those days most figures were the 12inch variety & star wars popularized the 3.75inch action figure.
    This allowed for not just more figure production, but also vehicles could be made for small figures which means more stuff to buy. Much easier to sell lots of that kind of thing as opposed to a small set of 12inch dolls

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
  6. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Ok fine, let's ignore Milius's first hand account of conversations with his close friend. In favor of internet speculation o_O

Obviously Lucas meant that if the movie was successful he'd try to make a killing from toys. He was a very shrewd businessman.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Imagine coming home after a lengthy trip, and finding out there were two new Star Wars films waiting for you, and third just over the horizon. And then finding out that just after the trip started, Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney and had nothing to do with the new films.

Silver linings, etc.

8. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    its not internet speculation , the stuff about movie merchandise at the time is what was said in documentaries on SW , its why Fox let go of the merch rights . And I haven't discounted what Milius said .

"if the movie was successful" , yeah if . But it takes 4 years of writing and making it , so not a great scheme for making a succesfull toy line . And indeed there weren't any toys when it came out .

Sarge likes this.
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Mate I have discovered this thing called Google which can help prevent those instances of foot in mouth disease that keep bringing you undone.

Micronauts popularised 10cm figures first; Star Wars used that format and was a runaway hit.

jp-30 and soitscometothis like this.
  10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_laugh] ^ Well done.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Too raw.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    This is not going to go?

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah I heard about it and like... Battlefront was always the dumbest series in SW games. It's kind of pointless doubling down at this point, but here we are anyway...

Ramza and Chewgumma like this.
  16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The only appeal is the single player story campaign, and maybe slaughtering my children anyway.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    literally tho

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm kind of just waiting for some non-US government to rule that loot boxes are illegal gambling and then see what falls out of that decision.

But also: lol Battlefront moar liek Whalefront.

19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I concur with some youtubers that there's misdirection in the editing. But it's alright. I don't think it's as revealing as other recent trailers.

20. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Is it time for a global consumer advocacy campaign to outlaw deceptive movie trailers? I'm not really asking. The answer is YES!

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    The more deception & misdirection the better I say. A trailer should only exist to promote interest & generate excitement. The less story detail that's revealed the better.

22. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    I'm all for trailers NOT spoiling the entire plot of the movie, but this is a little different I think. With TFA the misdirection worked well. I was generally surprised that Finn wasn't the jedi.

With this trailer though (which I enjoyed), they show something that is either a major spoiler or a misdirection. Finn with the lightsaber wasn't really a spoiler. With TLJ though, we don't know what that scene is, but we know it's one or the other. Spoiler/misdirection. So in my opinion it doesn't really work.

23. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think trailers should generally have more sausages in them.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Instead of watching new trailers, just watch this one every time. It's the wurst.

SuperWatto likes this.
  25. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Who said I watch new trailers?