main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT 1997 Special Edition nostalgia

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    The '97 SE was my intro to Star Wars too. I saw them all on the big screen as an 11-year-old in some dinky cinemas in Delhi, where power cuts and random people coming into the theater late and making a scene didn't dampen my amazement and enjoyment of these incredible films. My mum took me and my sister to see ANH:SE after school, and I said 'Star Wars? But that's so old!' - but from the moment it started, my biggest lifelong obsession began.

I own the 2006 DVDs with the original theatrical cuts, and I mostly prefer those, but Victory Celebration in ROTJ:SE is more emotive for me than Yub Nub.

2. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I love the covers of the 95 THX Edition and the 97 Special Edition. I own the VHS Tapes of those editions multiple times and loved them. In Germany the 97 SE Edition VHS came as Widescreen in a golden box only, in the US the Widescreen Edition was silver, the Full Screen Set was golden.

Now I came around and found some compies of the Laserdiscs of those editions in very good shaope. So I naturally had to get them. The Covers are so lovely and big in those editions. I am especially fond of the 95er THX Edtions covers, the look so magical and whimsical. I adore them.

Here are some pictures of both sets:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The pics are not mine because I cant get them uploaded here
    Proud collector here. I own the OT like 20 times now

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I had those 1995 THX editions (in VHS), but to be honest I was never a big fan of those John Alvin covers.

AndyLGR likes this.
  4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I like them! They look like classic Legends book covers, which brings me back to that good old 90s Star Wars feel.
    Drew Struzan is better at giving me the epic movie vibe, though. His complete trilogy poster for the SE is a thing of beauty.

[​IMG]

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’ll always have a soft spot for the new CGI dewbacks. I just love those things.

6. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Dewbacks have no drawbacks [face_love]

7. Amiga_500_User

Amiga_500_User Jedi Master star 1

Feb 4, 2014
    For me the best thing about the special editions is that I was able to watch all three original movies in a theatre. That's an experience, I'll never forget. Especially EMPIRE. But I don't like the CGI enhancements, the different soundtrack and such.

Sarge likes this.
  8. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I have a distinct memory of seeing TESB in theaters, and I was excited because I loved Star Wars, but confused because I loved Star Wars, which meant I had already seen it and the theater was for new movies. My parents didn’t really have a clear way of explaining the concept of a “special edition” to me. I was inspired by this thread to look up the exact release date, and realized it was a month or 2 prior to my 3rd birthday. When I say I can’t remember when i became a Star Wars fan, or what life was like before it, this is what I mean.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
  9. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I hope Disney re-releases it for the 50th anniversary.

10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    It really bugs me that he used the Empire duel on the Jedi art.

Happy Sando likes this.
  11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    The photo references are all over the place, especially on the ESB one .

1. Ian Mcdiarmid wasn't in the '97 version
    2.Vader's TIE isn't in it
    3. I'm pretty sure that Vader is from ROTJ

Happy Sando and AndyLGR like this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    It's not Leia from ANH on the left either, is it?
    But when you see it all as one piece of trilogy art (and the trilogy itself as one story), it makes sense in a way.

Happy Sando likes this.
  13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That's a reference to the red Revenge of the Jedi poster, which uses that image of the ESB duel because George wasn't ready to reveal any images from ROTJ yet.

Happy Sando likes this.
  14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Struzan used different head shots during his tenure producing covers for the Bantamn era. Here it was the same way. He didn't replicate Leia's appearance in ANH for the covers. He only did Han from ANH only once. Most of the time he used Chewbacca from ROTJ instead of ANH and TESB. He never used TESB Palpatine for SOTE. In fact, no one used Eaton.

As to the duel, that was an iconic shot that it's been used to sum up the duels between the Skywalker men. None of the shots from ROTJ were used formerchandise. Especially during the 90's.

15. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    I was assistant manager at a cinema near London England when the first special edition came out. Me and the projectionist and a few staff had a private midnight showing.... just to check the print of course! Was a dream come true. Sadly I was made redundant just before May 99 so missed showing phantom menace but the poster came with me before the cinema was shut down for redevelopment

Happy Sando likes this.
  16. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Hope we get a new film too