main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion 2012 Fanfic Resolutions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by NYCitygurl, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Another year has come and gone!

What did you accomplish from last year's resolutions? And what goals do you have for the new year?

2. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I don't think I had any fanfic resolutions last year, so I'm good there. :p

My fanfic resolution is to finish and post my Nano project. I got it halfway done during November, then hit a serious plot roadblock that took awhile to get over, but I've recently started back into it again. I essentially have the rest plotted, but it needs to get on paper. It even has itself a title! Of course, it is really hard to write when my free time is being absolutely consumed by a new series I just discovered and can't put down. Curses, Bodie Thoene! Curses to you and your delicious historical fiction! [face_talk_hand]:p

3. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    Hmm... let's see!

Here was my post last year:

I think I've been pretty good updating once a month or so. ...kinda.

Allecto is finished, so that's a big A+!

The last part... yeah, not so much. : / Oh well.

For the next year, I'd like to update more regularly - perhaps 2x a month, if I can. I'd like to have Luke and Shepard's crew in SW universe by May if I can, and finish it out over the summer so I can start its sequel. Don't know when Catastrophe's going to be finished, but, eh... they're some goals at least!

4. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Oh self from last year, you were so sweet and innocent...

1. No :( And I don't think that's ever going to happen, since my zeal for the JA era is all but dead. Very unfortunate; I liked that idea a lot.

2. No. But there's hope for this one yet!

3. Aaaaand no. :p Neither of my current WIPs are abandoned, though. I swear, this will be the year I finish them!

So with that in mind, my goals this year are to:

1.) Finish my FF.net WIPs (I Like Short Shorts and that one with the pairing that won't fly here whose name I'm completely blanking on).

2.) Write more original fic! I'd like to really start working on improving in this area.

3.) Polish up some of the SPN fics I have and post them.

4.) Work some more on the multi-chapter SPN fics I've been plotting.

5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I accomplished all my goals from last year. Yay!

This year my goals are:

1. Finish writing/posting the Jaded Trilogy and Walking the Sky

2. Write a fic that does NOT feature L/M as the main characters (already working on that!)

3. Work on my collaborations

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I didn't post any for last year, so I am good there!

I think for this year I want to:

1.) Write a fic that is over 50,000 words (all my long fics end up being 25,000 - 45,000 words and I can never make it past that)

2.) Write my post-ROTJ plot bunny that has been bugging me for over a year

3.) write at least a short-fic where Tycho and Winter are the MAIN characters.

7. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Didn't do this last year so I'm okay, too. But I'll give it a go for this coming year:

1. Finish and post "Stranded". Only two or three updates to go, and it's about time I finished the damned thing.

2. Write at least the first draft of my NaNo story, and start posting it.

3. Write my response to the two challenges I signed up for, like, over a year ago. =P It's about time I did those as well.

4. Plot out and start writing my YJK AU. Okay, maybe that won't happen. But I'll write it down here anyway.

Ooooh and Briannakin, if you write that Tycho/Winter fic, I wanna read it!!

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't make any last year, and my goals this year are:

1. to finish the two in-progress works I have, and

2. to keep writing

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, I got one book closer to finishing Wife of Deceit, failed at the Dear Diary challenge, wrote more regularly even if it wasn't on Star Wars or even fanfiction...and I did make myself cry while writing.

This year, I want to get through Book 4 of Wife of Deceit
    Get further than a month into a Dear Diary Challenge before getting a PM about not updating
    Have one day a week set aside for writing fanfic.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    My fanfic resolution for 2012 is to not have one. :p

Doesn't work out anyway so I'm not going to put the pressure on. I'll just see what happens, write what and when I want to write.

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hmm... lets see.
    1. Yep, did that! I don't know if it will hold for future years but there it is! :)
    2. I didn't, but I have been working on it and it's almost complete so I'll give myself 1/2 credit for that.
    3. Nope, didn't do it at all.
    4. I definitely think I wrote more this year than last so I'll say yep!
    5. A big, no for this one. But that's okay, I had more fun this year than ever before and made a bunch a new friends so it felt like a win to me.

Overall: I did 50% of my resolutions... not bad.

This year:

1. Post the story I've been working on for a while now.
    2. Not leave anything I've started unfinished.
    3. Write and read more.

That's all I'm going with for now, I may add more later on.

12. iceaffinity

iceaffinity Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2010
    I didn't have any resolutions last year. [face_blush]

For this year....

1. Finish the fic I'm working on without completely tearing my hair out.
    2. Reach 100 ficlets for my ficlet collection over on FF.net. This may be somewhat delusional.
    3. Write a fluff fic. With lots of mush. Essentially, write the opposite of the fic I'm working on now. :oops:

Good luck to everyone with their resolutions and Happy New Year! [face_good_luck]

13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Let's see ...

1. Finish my UDC5 drabbles for Saga and NSWFF (and complete further UDCs on time).

2. Finish the diary challenge on time.

3. Finish my 2010 diary.

4. Finish Halcyon Fate (may need to un-autolock that . . .).

5. Write a multi-part NSWFF story.

6. Participate in more challenges.

1. Well, I completed the next UCD on time, and I finished my NSWFF drabbles (though I haven't finished posting them). The Saga ones might never be finished. I'll give myself half credit.

2. Technically, yes, though I wrote it all really far in advance.

3. Um ... yeah, not so much. Actually, it probably won't be finished.

4. #3.

5. I actually started one! It's taken me more than 10 months to get three and a half chapters, but I'm working on it 8-}

6. I actually probably participated in fewer.

So, that's less than 2/6. Not so great 8-}

I did have a goal I didn't state, though. Someone said something about wanting to write 100,000 words, so I decided to borrow that. I did the last thousand today, but I made it. That was my big personal challenge for the year, so I'm pretty proud of myself for accomplishing it. Not all of that has been postted -- some of it was, some of it will be and some will just remain on my harddrive forever (well, until the next time my computer crashes). But it was about writing, not posting, so I'm happy :)

For 2012:

1. Actually finish that multi-post NSWFF story (Star Trek) and start posting.

2. Write another NSWFF story.

3. Finish all the challenges I have incomplete from this year.

4. Write 120,000 words total.

Fewer goals than most years, but I usually fail dismally, so these are goals I can maybe actually keep 8-}

14. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000

I did that! I think that I wrote two responses this year, which was an improvement from the previous year. :p

This year, I want to be more consistent in writing. It's hard to get in a groove when you write sporadically.

15. aalagartassle

aalagartassle Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2011
    1 Try to write a chapter a month.

2 Try to incorporate less angst/violence.

3 Try to incorporate mush/love interest.

4 Try to use the tutorials! Edit not just write.

Lots of Trys! What did master Yoda say?:p

16. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    My goals, for this year:

1. Read and respond to more fanfic.
    2. Finish my existing works-in-progress.
    3. Write and complete a Return of the Jedi AU.
    4. Try to get my feet back into writing more Star Wars fanfic. This year, I managed to step out more from my comfort zone and write for a different genre. I really hope to reverse that for 2012. [face_blush]

17. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Well I didn't do any last year so...

1. Try and get to know more people...that is probably why I don't have many reviewers here.

2. Finish a story (only one of mine is complete and that is on FF.net), specifically Sol Hope...that will be fun.

3. Try and make more angst/fluff here. This one is because I have been told my stories don't have enough of either (aside from the aforementioned complete story and it's sequel).

4. DON'T START A NEW STORY!!! (This one is going to be harder than one would think...).

18. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    As I have a cold right now, I'll edit the ones for this year in when my head clears again...

From last year...

1. Write.

Yes.

2. Participate in JulNoWriMo. (Which is like NaNo, but happens in July instead.)

In a turn of events... actually participated in NaNo. :D

3. Write a story for Before the Saga.

...I did!

4. Finish So They Met In a Bar...

Done... though I ended up confusing people who have not read it when results of that story popped up in another one set in the same fic verse.

19. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    As far as writing goes, my resolution for 2011 was at least one drabble every day, including at least two original (non-fanfic) ones every week. I met it. [I also had a couple that didn't involve writing, and I met those as well.] For 2012, I'm renewing the '11 resolution, without changes.

20. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I didn't have any resolutions for last year.

For this year:

1. Finish my current fanfic which is getting way too long and I have yet to figure out a way to end it.
    2. Try to improve my writing. I am terrible at describing scenes and people. Usually my fics are pure dialog.
    3. Write a Ben & Luke fic
    4. Try to find my muse which disappeared last week. Maybe I will put up missing muse fliers around the boards.

21. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I had no resolutions for last year.

This year, I intend to finish my NaNo project. I don't know when, I don't know how long it will take me, but it will be finished this year!

I also intend to carry on the Dear Diary Challenge, as I have a history of abandoning journals.

22. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Last year? My goal was to write all of the 50 Sentences Challenge tables (four per month).

Yeah... I was fine, and then my Muse lost interest. Sentence overload, I suppose. I think my muse doesn't like being hooked on something for too long! [face_laugh]

Since I'm starting the ridiculous path of attempting to become a professional actor/director/writer, this year I'm keeping things more simple than ever: just keep writing. It's the only hobby that keeps me sane during moments of extreme drama (in all aspects - personal and professional and onstage). I found out what happens when I don't write to de-stress myself and it's not pretty. Fanfic used to be a major hobby, and hopefully it will become so again. :)

23. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I'll continue my resolution to not make resolutions. ;)

I have been working on a long WIP on my hard drive that had recently gotten some inspiration. Of course, no one knows about it, since none of it has ever been posted.

24. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I did fairly well on mine last year. Missed one.

I'm not making any this year. I tend to forget these types of things an hour after saying it. :p

25. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Last year my resolution was to finish Blue Side.

I got SO VERY CLOSE. You wouldn't guess it from how much is in the thread, but I took NaNo to knock out a lot of it, and I honestly think I'm within less than ten chapters to the end. Maybe as few as 3-5. So I'm hoping to get those done within the next couple of months.

This year's resolution is to keep it small. I can plot and plan for future epics, but as you can see, I get tied to them for years, and after a few years story fatigue sets in. So I'm taking a break from the massive, and I'm going to get some tight focus in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.