main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena 2020 Summer Olympics - Tokyo Japan

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Sensei__Prime, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    America's motto for 194 countries.

2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
  3. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    That's gonna be a really easy Olympics for the Aussies if Australia isn't letting people in from other countries by then.

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Sweden leads 1-0 against the US in the football.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    3-0 now. Boy if this were the US's only good football team, there might be a serious problem.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    To be fair it’s not like Americans even care about football. Well that football not the other football. The men’s team is absolutely atrocious so at least they have that going for them I guess.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I dunno, the audience for football there is growing pretty steadily despite some of the worst TV deals and teams in the world, it's kind of impressive. However, if the women's team is actually in trouble there would be a chance of it taking a long time for either side to be competitive on a global stage again.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I thought the womens team was pretty popular and important.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They're usually great but in my experience it only rarely translates into mainstream recognition or coverage. Plus these days the US right has decided they're all traitors or whatever.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I'd say about two thirds of my American friends like football; two of them are passionate. It's a rapidly growing sport there. And they understand; it's not like they have no clue how the offside rule works, say.

The problem in the men's game is that the coaching system in the US is ****ed. It's difficult for young talent from poorer backgrounds to break into the game because of the ridiculous expense of sending your kid to train with clubs, as well as the way other sports have embedded themselves in the college scholarship system. Other countries basically pay talented kids to do this which is why most of their players come from working class backgrounds, and a lot of talent isn't wasted. It's pretty evident that football's movers and shakers in the US don't want to learn from how it is done in all of the major footballing nations. It doesn't help that commercial forces are ranged against a promotion/relegation system either, even though this set up hugely increases the competitiveness of the game and provides more drama and excitement for the fans.

The US had huge potential to improve. It can do so if it is prepared to acknowledge that it is doing it all wrong.

Ramza likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    More popular and important than the men’s team yes, but a vast majority of Americans still don’t give a **** about soccer. Their only real interaction is that sport you drop your kid off at after school.

That’s how the people around me see it. I haven’t looked at an actual data.

Edit: looking at the actual data yes soccer has seen an increase in popularity about as many Americans think Soccer is their favorite professional sport as do Americans who think baseball is. Also Major League Soccer has seen a 27% increase in popularity over the decade. https://news.gallup.com/poll/224864/football-americans-favorite-sport-watch.aspx

12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    it’s definitely growing in popularity here

for this match Sweden typically gives the US trouble, pretty sure they eliminated them last olympics

Juliet316 , EHT and heels1785 like this.
  13. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I didn't mention earlier that the best bet in the short term for young American players is to move abroad. The US's best young players are doing this, especially in Germany. That's how they can push on and play at a higher level of the game.

Also: check Atlanta United's attendance figures and compare them with some big European clubs, and you'll see the potential.

This has nothing to do with population, and popularity is relative: Croatia and Uruguay only have a few million people each. Both countries are conveyor belts of world class footballing talent. That's because they have talent spotters that nurture the game at youth level and bring them to major clubs. The US mens's team is bad primarily because of their coaching philosophy and set-up.

Sorry, not trying to turn this into a football thread. :p

jcgoble3, starfish and EHT like this.
  14. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
  15. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Reminds me of what's going on with volleyball as well. The volleyball olympian I knew (I was on the same basketball team as him for a couple years) is on the US national team, but plays in Europe otherwise.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am sure America has the potential for soccer, but I still think it’s a decade or more away

17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    - Americans in 1994

18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Oh, look, the only internet conversation more tired than the PT conversations in the "Star Wars is Bad" Thread

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It seemed preferable to just forehead slapping frustration that anyone on the various Czech squads still isn't vaccinated.

Beach volleyball, table tennis, I expect the list will go on.

20. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Over the years I’ve grown more and more tired of the Olympics. There needs to be more at stake. It needs more of a RISK™ element. I wouldn’t mind losing Florida to Japan because they beat us in diving or something.

21. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    How about a pit of lava after each hurdle in the horse-jumping? Or a set of spikes for the tumbling gymnasts to land on? Might even make those sports worth watching.

22. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Tony, I think I’m in love. [face_love]
    Please bring these suggestions to the Olympic Committee immediately.

CairnsTony likes this.
  23. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    I would like to slightly revise my recommendation: Cancel all events except dressage.

I need my Olympic dressage.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    This is a lot of work when you could simply hold those events concurrently and on the same field as all the shooting competitions. Mind you, this would give Americans a major edge.

mnjedi, CairnsTony, vin and 1 other person like this.
  25. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    The shooting events should definitely involve machine guns.