main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2021 Film Awards Season (Golden Globes, Academy Awards, etc.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Feb 3, 2021.

1. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Yeah, its fine. I just remember the Oscars being like a big deal and something that actually got discussed at the coffee machine at work on Mondays. No one appears to care anymore. As we have all been saying - lots of factors at work here but the fact remains that wwards shows are not big sellers anymore.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Is that a...blanket statement?

Do you post anything that doesn’t contradict @QUIGONMIKE ?

3. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    The ratings don’t lie. Technically, OK, you "got me". I’ll change it and say hardly anyone cares. Mmmkay? :p

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Again, I don't think Mike can see this, but someone tell him the Game Awards ratings doubled this year. Awards shows can still be popular (and yes people bring up politics at TGA). It's more that TGA are streaming, not on TV, and ALL tv shows besides live sports are going down in ratings.

5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes to Stephen Yuen getting nominated! Actually the Best Actor category is diverse.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  7. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Happy LaKeith Stanfield got nominated for Supporting Actor.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Wow Steven Yuen is actually the first east Asian descent actor to be nominated for Best Actor.

9. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    Man, Da 5 Bloods was absolutely robbed. Especially Delroy Lindo.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... but how?

How can both Kaluuya and Stanfield get Supporting Actor nominations?!? I would have assumed Kaluuya could have stuck with SA (because Stanfield would be the lead)... but, I guess not?

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    They're both supporting, uh, the concept of injustice?

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm legitimately relieved quack pseudo-science apology tour Šarlatán did not get nominated despite making the Best International short list. I have no idea why the ČFTA is so into it, even bracketing for rubbish ideas it's not very good.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, my HS classmate was nominated for the Judas and the Black Messiah script, so that's fun...

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Best Song nom: "Husavik" from "Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga"

[​IMG]

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Most nominations- Mank. Oof I have a feeling it's gonna walk away empty-handed. Maybe a technical award or two, but it's outclassed in almost every category it's up for.

But hey! Best Director is almost guaranteed to be an Asian person, and most likely an Asian woman.

17. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Oscars Best Supporting Actress: Glenn Close - Hillbilly Elegy
    Razzies Worst Supporting Actress: Glenn Close - Hillbilly Elegy

[​IMG]

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm not about to defend literally anything regarding Hillbilly Elegy, but the Razzies should just be ignored at all times.

dp4m likes this.
  19. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    I have very little affection for the Razzies, Sia's Music is one of the few instances where the nominee actually deserved it.

solojones likes this.
  20. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Pleasantly surprised to see Sound of Metal and Riz Ahmed nominated.

MagnarTheGreat likes this.
  21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    He should have been nominated for Burning from a couple of years ago now.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    finally saw Judas and the Black Messiah, really solid. I remain befuddled that both Kaluuya and Stanfield both got best supporting actor nominations. Not that its undeserved, heaves no! It's basically a two main character movie, is there not a lead actor here? But the supporting/lead actor nominations and who gets what have been a personal aggravation of mine for like years.

Only 3 Best Picture nominations to go, The Father, Minari and Nomadland. Father supposed to hit google movies VOD on Friday, Minari already there and Nomadland on DisneyPlustStar April 9th so be able to get it all in before the ceremony. I do think it'll have kinda divebombing ratings though moreso than usual, if only because not many people know these nominations and zoom awards remote ceremony. But ratings aren't exactly a personal driving force to check it out.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  23. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm curious how Best Actress will go. There's not really a frontrunner, and there's been a different winner at every major award show so far. Best Film otoh seems a lock for Nomadland.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Nomadland is in on a lock for Best Picture but the last few years have some the frontrunner losing out so I'd think a good payout bet would be Minari. Only have Minari and the Father to go for best picture nomination watches for me.