main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 2023 Fanfiction Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , Mar 19, 2023.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    You may start writing prior to June 1st but posting the stories begins June 1st. So you may write as long as you wait to post until June:)

Kahara, Chyntuck, pronker and 2 others like this.
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I am very busy witth the Marathon piece

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I had a very productive month so far with research and outlining, and in theory I'm good to go. Here's hoping the muse doesn't desert me when I start writing in earnest 8-}

4. UltramassiveUbersue

UltramassiveUbersue Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2022
    I'm so excited for this challenge to begin!

5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I know the feeling!

I am just counting down the days to June 1st at this point:D

6. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Me three! I was looking at the list of entries again just now, and there's so much amazing reading ahead!

Plus, one thing I love with longer challenges like this one and the KR is how the challenge thread itself becomes a community event, part social thread and part support group. It's just the best that these boards have to offer; there's no other place quite like this on the fanfic internet [face_love]

7. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    I expect my "Watched Threads" list to expand by at least a couple of pages next week.... :D

8. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Can I actually bump up that Sauron and a cat triathlon up to a pentathlon? I just feel the need to pollute the Internet with this stuff and also in a bit of a Tolkien-verse mindset and there's just too many things I need to corrupt with cat that 3 entries is just not enough. [face_mischief][face_batting]

9. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @gizkaspice Excellent! I've got you upgraded to a Sauron and cat Pentathlon now:D

10. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005

"Did someone mention cats?" said the Dark Lord from her perch high atop Mount Cattree, her ears pricked to full attention.

-------

And I have a quick nit-picking question: Do I need to have both of my featured characters in every story for my Olympics, or is it all right to occasionally have just one of them appear (while the other either isn't present or is Mentioned Only)? I ask because I have at least two stories planned where this is the case. Originally, I was going to phrase my request as "Amilia and/or Florian" to make that clear, but decided against it as possibly too confusing. But if my present wording means I can't go with what I have planned, I would like to go back to it if I may.

11. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Pandora I think it would be fine to have the occasional story that just features one of your characters while the other isn't present or is Mentioned Only. In the past, have used a unifying theme or 'verse or focused on various members of a family or institution for their events, so I believe this would fit well with that established precedent! And I always see a lot of the challenge and fun of the Olympics being rooted in meeting the word count, thematic, and other requirements for various events:)

12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    So. After I put Chyntuquita to bed, I came and sat over here and thought I'd write a bit. Instead, for the past couple of hours, I've been "organising" my desk, by which I mean, I've been putting my notebook to the left of the keyboard and the pens to the right, and then deciding that no, the notebook should be to the right; and I always put the the coaster for my coffee over here, but for the challenge I need to be able to get the little index cards to stand so maybe it should go over there; and oh wait, I'll also need my tablet for access to the SW e-books so the printer can move a bit, and I should bring a side table for the pile of comics, and...

Well, I haven't written a single word, but I'm very, very ready for this challenge to begin :p

13. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Sometimes, all your writing time IS getting ready to write.

Chyntuck, pronker, gizkaspice and 4 others like this.
  14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Busy organising and index cards? I have excell sheets with my characters and timelines

15. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    @devilinthedetails Can I change my SW decathlon so that it's for the "Skywalker/Solo family & friends"? [face_batting]

16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Yeah, I'm a bit old school. Or very old school :p I can't really make sense of things unless they're handwritten on paper. I usually even write the first few sentences of a fic by hand to get a better feel for the tone. Also, there's something deeply satisfying about crossing things out on paper when you're done including them in a story; deleting stuff on the computer just isn't the same.

17. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Certainly! Ask and you shall receive:D

I've updated the index accordingly!

18. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    Thank you! :D Can't wait for tomorrow! [face_batting]

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Who else has a pre-Olympics stretching routine planned?

20. UltramassiveUbersue

UltramassiveUbersue Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2022
    I do now!

21. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Opening Ceremony:

What is that? Is it an approaching torch?

[​IMG]

Why, yes, it is!

That can mean only one thing! The official start of the 2023 Fanfiction Summer Olympics[face_party]

With our 2023 Fanfiction Summer Olympics, participants are free to begin posting their Star Wars and Non-Star Wars triathlons, pentathlons, and decathlons! Signups also remain open for those who wish to register for additional events and will remain open until the end of this year's Summer Olympics on July 31st.

As always, participants are encouraged to cheer each other on in the true Olympic spirit of togetherness[face_dancing]

Now, it is time to give all our participants a huge cheer as the Parade of Athletes commences!

Parade of Athletes:

[​IMG]

Star Wars Triathlon:
    @Chyntuck (Quinlan Vos):
    @JediMaster_Jen (Owen Lars, Beru Lars, and Luke Skywalker):
    @Kahara (Indeera, Bell, Burryaga, and Ember):
    @DarthIshtar (Bail/Breha):
    @Seldes_Katne (Lys Solay and friends from the Young Jedi Adventures TV series):

Star Wars Pentathlon:

@devilinthedetails (Jocasta Nu):
    @Chyntuck (Focusing on a collage of artists and artworks):
    @Seldes_Katne (Melch and his relatives):
    @Thumper09 (Imperial troops):
    @Kahara (Rebels Space Family in a new AU):
    @Kahara (Rey, Finn, Poe, Rose, and other Sequels characters):
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha (Luke/Mara and Han/Leia):
    @Mira_Jade (Song!Verse Darth Maul and Mara Jade):
    @Mira_Jade (Song!Verse Clone Troopers):
    @Nehru_Amidala (Thrawn/Jaina):
    @earlybird-obi-wan (OC's of the Keana Family):
    @Thumper09 (Star Wars sports):
    @gizkaspice (Mando, Grogu, and various aliens):
    @Raissa Baiard (Ezra Bridger):
    @Chyntuck (Origin stories of Wookie Tribes):
    @JediMaster_Jen (featuring Obi-Wan, Satine, Korkie, OC Jathan and Yoda):
    @whiskers (Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors):
    @Pandora (OC's Amilia and Florian):

Star Wars Decathlon:
    @devilinthedetails (Qui-Gon Jinn):
    @Chyntuck (Wookie Cosmogony):
    @Seldes_Katne (Vestri Dain and her Gungan family):
    @DarthIshtar (the Skywalker twins):
    @Mira_Jade (Luthen Rail and Kleya Marki)
    @ViariSkywalker (Skywalker/Solo Family and Friends):
    @earlybird-obi-wan (OC Tarhin Engaron):
    @vader_incarnate (Luke/Mara):
    @vader_incarnate (Darth Vader):
    @UltramassiveUbersue (Qui-Gon Jinn):
    @Chyntuck (Ayesha Eskari and Jesse):

[​IMG]

Non Star Wars Triathlon:
    @devilinthedetails (OC Henry Potter-Harry Potter):
    @pronker (Marya Parmanova-Hogan's Heroes)

Non Star Wars Pentathlon:
    @devilinthedetails (King Lune-Narnia):
    @devilinthedetails (Caspian-Narnia):
    @devilinthedetails (Zuko and Piandao-Avatar: The Last Airbender):
    @devilinthedetails (Pakku-Avatar: The Last Airbender):
    @gizkaspice (Sauron and a cat-Lord of the Rings):

Non-Star Wars Decathlon:

@Mira_Jade (Ensemble Cast, the summer of 1798-Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility)

Now with our Parade of Athletes done, let's light that Olympic torch, and not put it out until the closing ceremony in August=D=

[​IMG]

22. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Good luck everyone!!! I can't wait to see what amazing stories come from this event. :D

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    It's Juni 1 and half past 8 in the Netherlands and here is the first entry for investigators

And I have the first entry for my decathlon special ops

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  24. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    The crowd goes wild for a group of Wookiee cosmogony decathletes who enter the stadium carrying a banner that reads In the Shade of the Wroshyr – Tales of the People of the Trees.

Today, they compete in the 110 Word Hurdle, the Single Sentence Shot Put and the 100 Word Sprint. Once they are done, their score appears on the board: The End of Time before Time – The Tale of the Great Mother of All.

Meanwhile, their siblings who will be competing in the Wookiee tribe origin story pentathlon are waiting patiently, knowing that their turn will come in the same thread after the decathlon events are over.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  25. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007