main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 2024 Spring Bingo

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Chyntuck, Mar 18, 2024.

1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Spring Bingo

It’s 18 March and spring is upon us. The air is turning warm, the orange trees in my street are blooming and fragrant, juicy strawberries will appear on our tables any day now. This means that it’s time for another round of Spring Bingo.

How to play Spring Bingo

1. Choose a row, column, or diagonal with five words from the Bingo Board below.
    2. Write a story of at least 500 words for either the Star Wars or Non-Star Wars fandoms inspired by or featuring the words from your chosen row, column, or diagonal.
    3. Post your story in the appropriate Star Wars or Non-Star Wars fanfiction board.
    4. Post a link to your story in this thread so others can read it.
    5. Finish one or more such stories, and you’ll be a Bingo Winner.
    6. Finish five or more such stories, and you’ll be upgraded to Ultimate Bingo Champion.
    7. Include all the board prompts in a single story of at least 2500 words, and you’ll be further upgraded to All Around The Board Bingo Champion!

Spring Bingo Board

[​IMG]

I did my best to include spring-related elements from a variety of cultures. You’ll find a few notes behind the spoiler tag about the prompts that aren’t obviously related to spring as a season or to Easter/Passover.
    ‘Uprising’ is a reference to the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, which began on 19 April 1943.

‘Dragon’
    is a reference to Saint George’s Day, which is celebrated on 23 April.

‘Trickster’ is a (transparent) reference to April Fools’ Day.

‘Pink’ is a reference to cherry blossoms. I was thinking of the cherry blossom season in Japan when I included this, but I then discovered that there’s a National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington D.C. to commemorate the gift of cherry trees from the mayor of Tokyo on 27 March 1912.

‘Remembrance’ is a reference to ANZAC Day, the national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand, observed on 25 April. It was devised to commemorate the soldiers who died in the Gallipoli Campaign in World War I and was later expanded to include all Australians and New Zealanders who died in the service of the country.

‘Labour’ is a reference to Labour Day, which is observed on 1 May in many parts of the world.

‘Orange’ is a reference to Koningsdag or King’s Day in the Netherlands, which takes place on 27 April to celebrate the birth of the current king, Willem-Alexander. Until 2013, under the reign of Queen Beatrix, it was known as Koninginnedag (Queen’s Day) and was held on 30 April.

‘Carnival’ is a reference to Walpurgis Night, which is celebrated on 30 April in several northern European countries. There are several regional variations; in some places such as Finland and Estonia there is a carnival component to it.

Spring Bingo Rules and Guidelines:

1. All stories written for the Spring Bingo event must comply with the overall fanfiction rules and guidelines for this site, but you awesome people knew that already.
    2. All stories written for the Spring Bingo event should have at least 500 words.
    3. All stories written for the Spring Bingo event should be inspired by a row, column, or diagonal from the Spring Bingo Board.
    4. Remember, to qualify for All Around The Board Bingo Champion, you must use all the prompts on the board for a story of at least 2500 words!
    5. Stories written for the Spring Bingo may be submitted as entries for other challenges as well if you'd like them to pull double duty.

Spring Bingo Dates:
    Spring Bingo begins: 18 March 2024
    Spring Bingo ends: 01 May 2024

Happy writing, and may the flowers be with you!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  2. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Index of entries

By @devilinthedetails – Spring Bingo Winner!
    By @earlybird-obi-wan – Spring Bingo Winner and All Around the Board Bingo Champion!
    By @Mira_Jade – Spring Bingo Winner!
    By @Happy Sando – All Around the Board Spring Bingo Champion!

Last edited: May 11, 2024
  3. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    It's here! :D Just stoked to see this again. And it's taught me a new vocab word already; "transhumance" is new to me. ;)

4. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Yay! Been waiting on this. One of my favorite events of the year.

Now I just have to finish the last two 2023 Bingo stories for Rise of the Rebellion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan WIP Month Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Aug 21, 2006
    Spring and time to introduce new characters

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Spring is in the air@};-

And what better way to welcome spring than with a round of Spring Bingo?

Speaking of which, I have my first entry for the Spring Bingo Challenge. An Avatar: The Last Airbender one shot featuring Lu Ten and Iroh:

Dragon Uprising

7. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Yay, our first entry! I started the index with your story @devilinthedetails!

Oops, I probably should have included that one in the notes, shouldn't I? I was looking for a good alternative to the prompt "migration" from last year and I was so relieved when I settled on this one that I forgot I'd just learned it a few days earlier :p
    Welcome back! I saw that you already got to work on RotR, and I'm very excited to see that AU continue in this year's challenge!
    Aw yes! The earlybird'verse grows and grows :)

And just to clarify, since I got the question on PM, the prompt words don't need to feature as-is in your stories. You're welcome to use a different form of the same word (e.g. adverb instead of noun) or a synonym, or even to write about the concept behind the word without including the word at all.

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar WIP Month Champion star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 26, 2001
    I’m trying to come up with plot bunnies that don’t spoil current stories’ futures. I have several possible side stories in mind now.

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    [​IMG]

Spring Bingo inspires my second story!

This time I offer a Narnia oneshot featuring the Seed + Flatbread + Trickster+ Transhumance + Labor column:

Seeds of Spring Labor and Mischief

10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  11. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
  12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    W00t @devilinthedetails you're on a roll! And @earlybird-obi-wan thanks to you we already have our first All Around The Board Bingo Champion not even two weeks into the challenge! I got your stories in the index.

As for me, I'm in a best-laid plans situation. My intention was to write five short stories to add to my Wookiee myths and legends thread, but my muse ordained that I should do something different and I found myself writing about Gamorreans instead 8-} It's going to be a single long story, and I'm not as fast as earlybird at writing, so it'll take some time.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  13. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Good. That will give me time to select the proper tea blend and snacks to eat while reading it! :D

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I have used the words Ceremony, mud, bulb, pink, daylight in Spies

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    This is just to let you know that I have Spies in the index @earlybird-obi-wan! I'm wrapping up my reviews for the OTP Challenge tonight (hopefully) so I'll be getting to the stories written for this challenge tomorrow if all goes according to plan 8-}

16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I have Short Mission in the index @earlybird-obi-wan!

And we're halfway through the challenge today! How are everyone's stories coming along?

(I'm not going to talk about mine. It's on its way but I'm constantly getting sidetracked by... stuff.)

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha WIP Month Champion star 8 VIP - Game Winner

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] If the Mods!Dare Challenge is one of those, I can't wait ... =D=

19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    It is, actually – and that's the worst sort of stuff, because my muse has decided to interconnect these two stories despite my protestations, and now I'm fighting on two fronts at once. (Yes, this is a major mental short-circuit. Don't ask.)

20. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    I'm gonna whisper this real quietly...

...but I might have something for this.

External factors keep getting in the way (the whole thing popped into my head thirty seconds after reading the bingo board; it's just been a matter of construction ever since) but I'm hoping to submit it soon. I don't wanna be "that guy" who's still speed-proofing a novella at 23:59 come deadline day!

Please don't panic, though. It's not really a novella. [face_laugh]

21. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    I have a document with a few paragraphs of story in it? Really want to write this one but if I talk about it much then I probably won't actually do it. :p So just wish me luck I guess!

22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    @Happy Sando Novellas and not-quite-novellas are most welcome for this challenge if that's what your muse demands! Also, speed-proofing before the deadline is a time-honoured tradition on the boards, so if you ended up doing it you wouldn't be "that guy", you'd just be joining a very inclusive club.

@Kahara You've got this! And you should know that, if you already have a few paragraphs, you're way ahead of me. I'm still at the bullet point stage of story building.

23. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    @Kahara Best of luck! :) Looking forward to reading it as and when (no pressure)!

@Chyntuck Oh, don't worry, I was most definitely exaggerating for comedy purposes. [face_laugh] Probably gonna end up in the 6,000 word range, though. And that's without crossing it over with any other challenges or dares, so goodness only knows how you're gonna manage yours! Best of luck to you, too!

24. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    It's taken me far longer than I originally planned, but I've finally continued my Spring Bingo fic from last year with prompts from this year's selection as well. :p

I know better than to claim the entire board, but I am at least going to complete the bottom horizontal row and the middle vertical row, along with a few more, depending on how my muse is inspired. Towards that end, I have used Labor, Pink, Orange, Dragon, Carnival, and Fasting in part two of [Sense & Sensibility] The Hour of Feeling. [face_love]

Thank you so much for hosting this challenge once more, @Chyntuck! I love the variety of prompts and the stories they inspire, and I can't wait to see what comes of the challenge before it's through. :D [:D]

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I have posted another story Let's dance. starring my OC's and using
    Seed ceremony uprising romance farming