main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "3 a.m." (Luke, Mara, SJRS August Challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Title: 3 a.m.
    Fandom: Star Wars
    Rating: PG
    Characters: Luke, Mara, Rogues
    Timeframe: Before Dark Empire
    Summary: Luke Skywalker. Mara Jade. Coruscant holding cell. 3 a.m.
    A/N: I actually wrote this fic some months ago, but it was not posted and I have revised it for the Challenge.

[I]Late Nights - SJRS August 2011 Challenge[/I]

[I]For this challenge, you must write a fic about Luke and Mara having a late night, the reason and timeframe is up to you. [/I]

[I]You must include a Star Wars-ified verson of one of these phases (if you can include all five, I will bow down before your greatness):[/I]

[I]- "You have lost your marbles"[/I]
    [I]-"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck"[/I]
    [I]-"Speak softly and carry a big stick"[/I]
    [I]-"The opera isn't over till the fat lady sings"[/I]
    [I]-""To the ends of the earth"[/I]

[hr]

[COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]It was the last place Luke Skywalker expected to find Mara Jade at 3 a.m; the Inner-Coruscant Police Station holding cell, colloquially referred to by locals as the ‘drunk tank’.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande] [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]She was seated against the grimy duracrete wall , one leg crossed over the other and her arms folded. One man, his arm thrown over his eyes, was passed out on the bench beside her, and another was crouched in the corner, his off-key singing interrupted every few moments by stattaco hiccups. Mara studiously kept her eyes forward, and ignored both of them.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Luke approached the bars of the cell, unable to keep the amused smile off his face.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“In all the cells in all the prisons in all the worlds,” he drawled.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Her eyes flickered over him, and she gave a resigned sigh. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Just when I thought the night couldn’t get any worse,” she muttered. “What are you doing here, Skywalker?”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]He wasn’t cowed by her unwelcoming expression. “I could ask you the same question.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara didn’t answer and simply glared at him. He crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Boss!” cried the man from the corner. He stumbled to his feet and into the light. It was Hobbie.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“You’re my hero, Luke,” he slurred and tumbled against the bars, grinning broadly. Luke could smell the strong aroma of Corellian whiskey on his breath.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Yes, well,” Luke smiled. “I received a very amusing comm call from the good officer out there, explaining that Wedge had intended to place his one call to me, but had been...detained.” Luke craned his neck to get a better look at the other man on the bench, but it wasn’t the Rogue leader.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Oi, Janson.” Hobbie stumbled over to the bench and shook Wes awake. “Luke’s here to save us!”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Wes woke up noisily, flailing his arms and kicking his legs out. One foot almost caught Mara in the face, but she grabbed his ankle and unceremoniously pushed him off the bench. Luke winced as he went crashing to the floor, but Hobbie only laughed. Mara didn’t respond and simply returned to staring straight ahead.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Wes groaned as he got to his feet. “That was uncalled for, Jade,” he grumbled. Then he looked towards Luke and squinted at him. “Is this a Jedi Master I see before me?” He stumbled forward with a goofy grin. “Or is it some former Rogue who has been missing out on all the fun?”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Ah, but what if I had joined in on all this fun?” Luke responded. “Who would’ve come to bail us all out?”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Good point,” Wes nodded. “But it would have been worth it. Just like old times.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Sometimes I have trouble remembering old times,” Luke told him.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Wes grinned. “That’s how you know that they were good!”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara rolled her eyes. “I have trouble imagining you having a ‘good time’ in your life, Skywalker.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Luke shrugged. “You might be surprised.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Oh really?” She arched a brow. “Rollicking nights back on the farm?”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Luke didn’t really care for her sarcasm at that moment. He’d been having in his opinion a well-deserved night’s sleep when he had received the call from the station.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Where’s Wedge?” he asked Wes and not Hobbie, who was prodding Luke’s shoulder through the bars as if to check he wasn’t merely a drunken illusion.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Wes snickered. “He’s paying homage to the durasteel god.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Ah.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]At that moment the man himself was brought into the room, propped up by a Mon Calamari in a police lieutenant’s uniform, looking very ill indeed. But his face brightened when he saw Luke, and he pulled himself from the lieutenant’s grip and flung his arms around him. Luke patted his inebriated friend on the back lightly.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“You okay there Wedge?” he asked.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Wedge pulled back and shot him a thumbs up sign, seemingly incapable of speech.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Thank you for coming, Master Skywalker,” the Lieutenant addressed him, and Luke recognised the voice which he’d spoken with over the comm. “Usually it is our policy to keep detainees overnight, especially after a brawl,” he continued. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Brawl?” Luke shot a surprised glance at Hobbie and Wes, still in the cell. “What did you do?”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Hobbie laughed. “Win.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“The other party are no better off than them,” the Lieutenant continued. “They are being kept in a different cell, for obvious reasons. But General Antilles assured me that releasing his party into your custody would be preferable. And,” he leaned in closer to Luke and lowered his voice, “I don’t particularly want the sludegnews reporters disturbing the peace and order of this station. Given the high profile of these men, it would be best if you took them to sleep it off elsewhere.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Agreed.” Luke nodded.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]The Lieutenant walked over to the cell and punched a code into the keypad. The door opened and Wes and Hobbie stumbled out.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Thank the gods,” Mara muttered to herself and rose as well. However when she reached the door, the lieutenant held up a hand to stop her.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“I’m sorry, Miss,” he said in a polite but firm tone. “I was under the impression Master Skywalker was collecting these three men. Are you also friend of Master Skywalker’s?”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara’s jaw visibly clenched, and she didn’t answer.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Luke found himself somewhat amused. “Yes, Mara, are you a friend of mine?” he asked innocently. “Because if you are, I’m sure they would have no problem releasing you as well.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara glared at him and then turned to the Lieutenant. “I’m not drunk like they are,” she told him and indeed, she sounded completely sober. “I don’t pose any threat.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“That is not what your blood alcohol level indicates,” the Lieutenant argued. “Nor what the witnesses have said of your behaviour. Now are you are a companion of Master Skywalker or not, Miss?”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara shot Luke another deadly glare, but he could almost see her weighing up the options in her mind, and the repercussions of what she would say. Of course, for any ordinary person it would have been of no consequence admitting that they were friends with Luke, even if it was a lie. But Mara Jade was in no way ordinary. Finally she sighed, and turned back to the Lieutenant.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Don’t call me Miss,” she spat out, spun on her heel and resumed her position on the bench. The Mon Calamari looked at Luke, who nodded at him, and closed the bars again.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Could you please take these three outside to my speeder,” Luke asked him. “My friend Han is waiting there. Could you please ask him to take them back to my place, and that I will see them all later.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]The Lieutenant looked slightly confused at the request but nodded, even clicked his heels at attention before leading the three Rogues out of the room.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]When they had departed, Luke turned back to Mara. She glared at him. Neither of them spoke. Eventually Mara folded her arms again, and without breaking eye contact said; “Isn’t blackmail against the Jedi Code?”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“I don’t think the Code works that way, but if it did, I am sure blackmail would be on the ‘don’ts’ list,” he answered lightly. “I try not to engage in it myself.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“What do you call what just happened then?”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“He asked you a question,” Luke said calmly. “I couldn’t answer for you.” He paused. “Was it so hard to say?”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“I’m sure lying would be on the ‘don’ts’ list as well,” Mara countered.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“As you are always saying you are not a Jedi, and have no desire to be one,” Luke replied evenly. “So you would not be bound by this hypothetical code.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“No, but I am bound by my own,” she said stiffly.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]There was another long silence. Finally Luke blinked, and looked away. “Would it have been a lie?” he asked, his voice betraying a note of hurt.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Come on, Skywalker.” Mara hadn’t seemed to notice his change of tone. “You’re not serious. We’re two people who occasionally cross paths. We may have helped each other out now and then, but I’d struggle to even call us acquaintances.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“If you say so.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara shifted in her seat. Luke didn’t imagine the hard bench would be too comfortable, but funnily enough, he wasn’t overly bothered by her discomfort.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“How did you get Solo to accompany you on this little rescue mission?” She changed the subject.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande][FONT=inherit][I]Fine[/I][/FONT], Luke thought. He could play the niceties game. “I told him a princess was in danger.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara snorted. “As if that would work.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“It worked with Leia,” Luke replied, smiling at the memory.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]She didn’t seem impressed. “He was probably more interested in rescuing a potential reward than a damsel in distress.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Luke decided not to mention how close she was to the truth – except for the damsel in distress part. “Han was spending the night on my couch,” he explained. As he’d told his brother-in-law at the time, [FONT=inherit][I]if I have to get up, so do you[/I][/FONT]. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Trouble with the Princess, then?” Mara seemed almost pleased.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Hardly.” Luke shrugged. “He came over to watch the Smashball finals.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara seemed almost surprised.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“What?” he questioned at her expression.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“I don’t know.” She shook her head. “I guess I just didn’t know you and Solo...hung out.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Luke bristled at her implication. “Han was my friend long before he married my sister,” he told her frostily. But, he supposed, as his ire died suddenly, he forgot how unusual it looked, the Jedi Master whose closest friends were smugglers, gamblers and fighter jocks.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“And your Rogue – and I use that term literally – friends,” she continued. “All night they were on about you, and then in here.” She rolled her eyes. “[FONT=inherit][I]Luke will come and get us, Luke will be here, the Boss will get us out of this[/I][/FONT],” she mimicked them, before adding, “I would have let them rot”.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Luke considered this. “Well, I suppose in war you form bonds that are hard to break. Surely you had comrades?”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara pursed her lips. “None that weren’t expendable.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Ah.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Luke took a deep breath, and moved to take a seat on the far side of the cell. If it weren’t for the bars, they would be seated next to each other.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“I wasn’t always a Jedi, you know,” he told her softly. “It is a large part of who I am, but not the whole part.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Part Jedi, part farmboy,” Mara said almost sardonically. “I know.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“You don’t know me as well as you think,” he told her teasingly.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara laughed. “So is this where you tell me that you’re a complex and misunderstood?” She shook her head. “Nice try, Skywalker. You’re about as deep as a gundark.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“That’s your problem, Mara,” he said good-naturedly, “you mistake anger and isolation with depth. The ability to interact with other sentient beings does not make one simple-minded.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“There’s a difference between the ability to do something and the desire to do something,” Mara retorted.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Maybe you should try it,” Luke told her. “People will surprise you.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Sith, you’re patronising, Skywalker.” She leaned her head back against the duracrete wall and refused to look at him. “You really would follow those friends of yours anywhere.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“To the ends of the universe,” he nodded, ignoring her insulting tone. “Or, at least to the Outer Rim,” he smiled.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]She gave him a sceptical look. “I don’t know whether that’s admirable or pathetic.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]There was a long, uncomfortable silence, until Luke’s curiosity finally got the better of him.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“So are you going to tell me what happened?” he asked pleasantly. “I wouldn’t have picked you to get involved in a brawl.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara pursed her lips. “Neither would I,” she replied. “And I wasn’t really involved. Your friends happened to be at the same bar where I was enjoying a peaceful drink. So I had the great pleasure of listening to their vapid chatter most of the night.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Tell me about it,” Luke sympathised. “They can be hard to tune out sometimes.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Well, you lie down with dogs, Skywalker....” she shrugged. “I’m not exactly sure how it happened. I got the impression the other group of men were Imperial sympathisers, and rather vocal about it. Your friends weren’t too keen on that, and a simple dust-up soon became a brawl.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“And which side were you on?” he asked, only half-joking.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara glared at him. “My own,” she responded curtly.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“It’s all right, you can tell me, Mara,” he smiled at her. “You tried to stop it, didn’t you?”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Forget it, Skywalker,” she shook her head vehemently. “Don’t try to pin any pacifistic, mediating tendencies on me.” [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Luke shrugged. “It’s what I would have done.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Yes, because when faced with a decision I always ask myself [FONT=inherit][I]what would Luke Skywalker do[/I][/FONT]?” She cocked her head, considering. “Perhaps I should have it printed on a wristband.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“WWLSD, I like it,” Luke smiled. “I could have one made for you, if it would help.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara gave him a very small, amused smile. “Maybe,” she said, her tone light. “And every time I’m attracted by the Dark Side, I’ll look at it and try to be more like you, above such temptations. Because Luke Skywalker would never even dream of giving in to the Dark Side.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Luke felt his good humour fade. “You see, I was right,” he said, catching her eye once more. “You don’t know me as well as you think.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Not seeming to notice her change in mood, Mara raised a disbelieving eyebrow. “Pull the other one, Skywalker.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]He held her gaze, and eventually she seemed to realise that he was serious. She shifted in her seat again and looked down at her hands. “Tell me,” she asked delicately.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]There was silence for several long moments, while Luke selected the right words. “You know that my father killed the Emperor in order to save my life.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara’s eyes were still downcast, but he could sense the pain speaking of the Emperor’s death caused her, and the anger at herself for feeling so. “Go on,” she urged him.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“I’d made up my mind not to fight my father – because I still believed that he – Anakin - was there, underneath the Vader Palpatine had made him into.” Luke looked down at his own hands, flexing his artificial fingers. “But he knew how to break me,” he admitted. “He knew that I would have sacrificed my own life in the effort to save his soul – but not the lives of my friends. I – I was too careless with my thoughts. I allowed him to discover the secret Obi-Wan had been able to keep from him for so many years. That he had another child – Leia.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“And the Emperor, while all this was happening?” Mara asked.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Watching, listening,” Luke told her. “Waiting.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Just like him,” Mara said, shaking her head almost imperceptibly. “Never did the dirty work unless he had to.” She was unable to conceal the note of bitterness in her words.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Vader , he...” Luke continued, “he threatened to find Leia, and turn her to the Dark Side. And I was angry – angrier than I had ever been in my entire life. I fought him, a power at my disposal I’d never known existed. I wanted to kill him...I would have killed him,” Luke admitted.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara looked at him, then, clearly a little surprised. “Why didn’t you?” she asked.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“I was about to, but I saw that he was what I would become,” Luke told her, remembering that it was only in that moment he had understood Yoda’s test in the cave on Dagobah. “I had taken his hand, just as he had taken mine, and I could take his place at the Emperor’s side. But he was my [FONT=inherit][I]father[/I][/FONT] – that’s what stopped me. I couldn’t take his life.” [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]There was silence for several long moments. “But you didn’t know what would happen,” Mara finally said, turning to him, and Luke could see the confusion in her eyes. “You didn’t know that he’d save you.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]He cocked his head, considering. “I suppose at that moment it didn’t really matter,” he told her. “I’d won the battle within myself, and that was more important.” He smiled at the memory. “I even threw my lightsaber away.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara looked perturbed. “I wouldn’t be so proud about that if I were you.” [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“But I am,” he told her truthfully. “That was when I finally understood what it was to be a Jedi. I’ve always thought it was about strength, or skill. But I realised, then, that it was about faith.” He remembered that had been his first lesson with Obi-Wan – to trust himself, and his instincts. “It’s about trusting yourself, knowing that no matter what, you won’t give into the darkness inside you. And having the same faith in others.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Mara looked as if she wanted to say something, but apparently thought better of it. She closed her mouth and looked away, the moment passing.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“This is why we’re not friends, Skywalker,” she said eventually, tone neutral. “Because we can’t have a conversation without you preaching.” [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Luke couldn’t help but feel a little disappointed. “Noted,” he told her, getting to his feet and heading towards the door. Halfway there, he stopped and pivoted on his heel , turning to face her again. “I almost forgot,” he said, removing the lightsaber from the pocket in his coat and handing it to her through the bars. “I liberated this for you.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]She took it from him without a word. Their eyes met for the briefest of moments before she looked away again. He wondered whether, for the first time, she realised the significance of the blade, and why he had given it to her.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]He walked out of the holding room without anther word. He supposed the other part of being a Jedi was knowing when you should quit. He wouldn’t press her further, at least not on this occasion – [FONT=inherit][I]after all[/I][/FONT], he thought to himself, [FONT=inherit][I]the Mon Cal Opera isn’t over until the big fish sings[/I][/FONT]. Next time, perhaps, he would make more progress.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]As Luke passed the Lieutenant at the front desk he paused. “I can vouch for Mara Jade,” Luke told him. “You can let her go.”[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Yes, Master Skywalker,” the Lieutenant answered, bowing slightly.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Luke left the station, the cold night air stinging his face as he stepped outside. He stamped his feet and blew into his hands to warm them up, scanning the streets for a speeder-cab. Of course, he hadn’t thought about how he’d get back to his apartment when he’d sent Wedge, Wes and Hobbie back with Han in his speeder. But perhaps the walk would do him good.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]He heard the door of the station open behind him, and within a few moments Mara appeared at his side, wrapping her arms around herself at the cold. She didn’t look at him, instead scanning the street at he had done not a minute earlier.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]“Thanks, Skywalker,” she said, eyes still on the street.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]Luke couldn’t help but smile. “You are most welcome,” he replied, drawing his coat around him against the night’s chill.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Lucida Grande]And he walked in one direction, and Mara walked the other, out into the night. [/FONT][/COLOR]

2. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    You must include a Star Wars-ified verson of one of these phases (if you can include all five, I will bow down before your greatness):

- "You have lost your marbles"
    -"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck"
    -"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
    -"The opera isn't over till the fat lady sings"
    -""To the ends of the earth"

I caught the last two. Now I'm hoping I didn't miss one. [face_blush]

She was seated against the grimy duracrete wall , one leg crossed over the other and her arms folded. One man, his arm thrown over his eyes, was passed out on the bench beside her, and another was crouched in the corner, his off-key singing interrupted every few moments by stattaco hiccups. Mara studiously kept her eyes forward, and ignored both of them.

[face_laugh] I had to laught about the singing drunk. Lovely place to spend the night, isn't it?

?Just when I thought the night couldn?t get any worse,? she muttered. ?What are you doing here, Skywalker??

That is so Mara! Before they were married, at least. :p

He wasn?t cowed by her unwelcoming expression. ?I could ask you the same question.?

I'm curious, too!

?Boss!? cried the man from the corner. He stumbled to his feet and into the light. It was Hobbie.

OMG! The singing man was Hobbie? [face_laugh] I so didn't see that coming!

?Yes, well,? Luke smiled. ?I received a very amusing comm call from the good officer out there, explaining that Wedge had intended to place his one call to me, but had been...detained.? Luke craned his neck to get a better look at the other man on the bench, but it wasn?t the Rogue leader.

Oh no, Wedge, too? :eek: [face_laugh]

?Oi, Janson.? Hobbie stumbled over to the bench and shook Wes awake. ?Luke?s here to save us!?

Oh man, all the Rogues in one place. xD Their faith in Luke is sooooo cute. [face_love]

Wes groaned as he got to his feet. ?That was uncalled for, Jade,? he grumbled. Then he looked towards Luke and squinted at him. ?Is this a Jedi Master I see before me??

If it looks like a Jedi Master, uses the Force like a Jedi Master, and lectures like a Jedi Master, then it probably is a Jedi Master. :p Couldn't resist.

?Sometimes I have trouble remembering old times,? Luke told him.

Wes grinned. ?That?s how you know that they were good!?

[face_laugh] That doesn't make any sense! [face_laugh]

?Where?s Wedge?? he asked Wes and not Hobbie, who was prodding Luke?s shoulder through the bars as if to check he wasn?t merely a drunken illusion.

The Rogues are hilarious!

Wes snickered. ?He?s paying homage to the durasteel god.?

[face_laugh]

?Brawl?? Luke shot a surprised glance at Hobbie and Wes, still in the cell. ?What did you do??

Hobbie laughed. ?Win.?

Wah, you crack me up! [face_laugh] That is so epic!

?I?m sorry, miss,? he said in a polite but firm tone. ?I was under the impression Master Skywalker was collecting these three men. Are you also friend of Master Skywalker?s??

Mara?s jaw visibly clenched, and she didn?t answer.

That is a difficult question for her.

Mara glared at him and then turned to the Lieutenant. ?I?m not drunk like they are,? she told him and indeed, she sounded completely sober. ?I don?t pose any threat.?

?That is not what your blood alcohol level indicates,? the Lieutenant argued. ?Nor what the witnesses have said of your behaviour. Now are you are a companion of Master Skywalker or not, Miss??

Leave it to Mara to seem sober even when she's completely drunk. [face_peace]

Of course, for any ordinary person it would have been of no consequence admitting that they were friends with Luke, even if it was a lie. But Mara Jade was in no way ordinary.

Perfect description of her! [face_love]

?He asked you a question,? Luke said calmly. ?I couldn?t answer for you.? He paused. ?Was it so hard to say??

Aww, poor Luke. [face_worried]

?As you are alw

3. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I looooooooove it!!! Love, love, love this missing moment. I love how Mara always assumes that she completely knows Luke, but she doesn't, not really. And the Rogues are always a fun bunch. You write these characters so well, lady, I can't stand it. I have to give a squeeeeeee. :D

I can tell you who else will be squeeeeing--Jade Pilot. This is her favorite kind of fic!!!

Love it, lady!! [:D]

4. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Those Rogues! *shakes head.*

Luke and Mara are perfect for each other.

5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Oh, this was really good. I love Luke and Mara arguments, and the time period is excellent. I'd love to see another one of these conversations set AFTER Dark Empire.

Mara thinks she knows him so well, but she really doesn't, and then she gets mad when he thinks he knows her. Oh, you crazy kids. You'll have a lot of chatting to do over the next 9 or so years.

6. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    [face_laugh] Mara stuck with the drunk Rogues in the slammer! I love it! [face_laugh]

7. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    It's true, Luke had no 'normal' friends... all figher pilots, scoundrals, etc... he isn't quite as saintly as everyone would think he is... LOL :D

8. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Drunk Rogues are hilarious [face_laugh], except for who is stuck in the same cell with them - poor Mara.

9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Mara Jade in the drunk tank with three drunk Rogues, oh boy!

I loved the talk between Luke and Mara.

Wonderful response.

10. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I love the interaction between Mara and Luke at this stage in their relationship, and how he counters all of her brittle anger. I especially loved how he pointed out that being angry isn't the same thing as having emotional depth. This was romantic in its own kind of way. Great vignette!

11. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this so much! Great banter! Great characterization!

Just Billiant! =D=

12. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    That was so awesome!!!!! =D= I love love love love it! =D The talk was awesome, and very well done. I think sometimes he can come across *too* preachy...yes, he was definitely preachy, but you didn't overdo it at all...I could see him saying that, idealism and all! And Mara was spot on and amazing! The ending was lovely....I'm feeling that a sequel is needed here. Like...4 a.m....at the hangar :p

Yay!!!! [:D]

[face_good_luck] Irish

13. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Oh wow!!! =D= =D= =D= Amazing viggie; rich in details, fun and insight in the characters. All of it wrapped in a light, easy form that was pure pleasure to read!

Just loved what you did with Luke and Mara here - both of them distinctively themselves and singeld out, their interaction spot in nontheless! [:D]

Some favs(I canøt quote the entire viggie, can I? ;) ):
    Sometimes I have trouble remembering old times,? Luke told him.

Wes grinned. ?That?s how you know that they were good

:p

I have trouble imagining you having a ?good time? in your life, Skywalker
    Yeah, she would, wouldn't she? :p Loved Luke's calm response! [face_peace]

?Brawl?? Luke shot a surprised glance at Hobbie and Wes, still in the cell. ?What did you do??

Hobbie laughed. ?Win

[face_laugh]

It?s what I would have done.?

?Yes, because when faced with a decision I always ask myself what would Luke Skywalker do??

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Perhaps I should have it printed on a wristband.?

?WWLSD, I like it,? Luke smiled. ?I could have one made for you, if it would help.?

Mara gave him a very small, amused smile
    Hah! He got her! ;) And I want one of those wristbands too!

?I even threw my lightsaber away.?

Mara looked perturbed. ?I wouldn?t be so proud about that if I were you
    .?
    :p Two wordlds that collide, indeed!

I realised, then, that it was about faith.? He remembered that had been his first lesson with Obi-Wan ? to trust himself, and his instincts. ?It?s about trusting yourself, knowing that no matter what, you won?t give into the darkness inside you. And having the same faith in others.?
    Wow!!!![face_peace] [face_dancing] [:D]

He supposed the other part of being a Jedi was knowing when you should quit.
    LOVE mature Luke!!! Awesome!!!

14. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Great story!

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Awesome story, JL!

?Sometimes I have trouble remembering old times,? Luke told him.
    Wes grinned. ?That?s how you know that they were good!?

[face_laugh] My parents say something similar about college! :p

I love seeing the pre marriage Luke and Mara and you write them so well! Their banter is perfect mixed with just a little bit of mistrust, at least on Mara's part. Well, that and the idea that she doesn't want to to like him. :)
    The WWLSD wristband idea cracked me up!

=D=

16. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Great response! Love the banter between Luke and Mara. And the suggestion about the wristband was awesome :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.