main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT A Daimyo's Diary: The Book of Boba Fett (DDC 2024)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Happy Sando, Jan 7, 2024.

1. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…

Tatooine’s twin suns fell from a golden sky, heralding the end of yet another arid rotation.

But for 8D8, the day was far from over. The re-purposed smelter droid had been summoned to his master’s personal quarters, and so his pale, skeletal frame was shakily clicking itself up the curved stone steps of a darkened stairwell.

Not too long ago, such a simple act would have been incalculable. 8D8 had never been permitted to freely roam the palace before, not by his previous owner. Jabba Desilijic Tiure had kept him consigned to the dank and dingy service levels, but as much as his sadistic circuitry had enjoyed torturing fellow droids down there, he quickly grew to realise that he preferred his new role.

Indeed, diplomacy had allowed his caustic wit to flourish, and the burn of a well-timed verbal barb could equal the burn from a pair of hot irons. Those delectable moments, along with his relative freedom since re-activation, made for fitting compensation.

8D8 reached the top stair and found his usual wobbly balance on the flat floor of his master’s quarters. Situated atop one of the palace’s tallest towers, the circular space was an impressive retreat, even moreso for being adorned with a small arsenal of weaponry. Because of course such instruments of destructive cruelty would draw 8D8’s attention first and foremost.

He took comfort in seeing them. There had been several instances of doubt in recent weeks, during which 8D8 had wondered whether his programming was slightly out-of-step with those around him (or worse, outdated; could the underworld’s ways have changed that much during his temporary retirement?) but no, as his beady photoreceptors scanned blaster barrels and vibro-axe blades, he assured himself that his master was as lethal as all the legends combined.

And finally, yes, there it was. The (in)famous armour itself, acting as the display’s centrepiece. Recently re-forged and re-painted in hues of dark green, red, and yellow, yet already scratched, dinged, and pock-marked by combat.

As it should be. It concealed far too many ways to kill a person to be kept pristine.

8D8 admired the fine Mandalorian craftsmanship for a few beats before tilting to focus his long, expressionless face towards the beskar’s prestigious owner.

Draped in a rough-hewn black robe that belied his status, he was hunched over a workbench, busy with something unseen.

This was the Daimyo of Mos Espa.

This was Boba Fett.

8D8 paused to consider the scene. The droid had never known an organic of rank to do their own manual labour but, whatever the task in hand, he knew better than to suggest otherwise. Fett was such a simple man for such a grand title, let alone such a notorious name. Perhaps the surprise of reality was the greatest weapon in here.

Nevertheless, 8D8 had been summoned, and so he had to interrupt eventually. “You sent for me, Lord Fett.”

Boba turned around and, in doing so, revealed that he was tending to his gaderffii stick, sharpening its pointed tip whilst waiting for a fresh coat of wortwood varnish to dry.

“Yes,” he noted, his dispassionate tone matching his bald, battle-scarred visage rather nicely. “Tell me, droid, do you have recording and playback capability?”

“But of course,” 8D8 replied, barely masking the fact that he took the question as an affront. “I record all meetings, tribute offerings, and appointments for which I am present. Is there a specific meeting which Your Lordship wishes to review?”

Boba scowled, reinforcing 8D8’s mounting belief that the former bounty hunter was selectively uncomfortable with the trappings of his new station.

“No, no, it’s not that,” came a sigh as Boba slumped into a nearby armchair and gestured for his mechanical assistant to approach. “I wish to dictate the dealings of my gotra. To keep track of events, and lay out my story. Twice a month; maybe more.”

Eager to please (as well as privately relish some tales of murder and mayhem), 8D8 took a single step forward, maintaining a respectful distance of servitude. “It would be my honour to provide you with such an amenity,” he grovelled, trying not to sound too sarcastic. “Are we to begin this evening?”

Boba gave the slightest of nods. “We are.”

“And under what title should I file your dictation…?”

2. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    A Daimyo’s Diary
    The Book of Boba Fett

Author: Happy Sando
    Timeframe: Saga - OT (directly after The Book of Boba Fett)
    Primary Characters: Boba Fett, 8D8
    Mentions: (in order of appearance) Jabba the Hutt, Drash, Boba Fett's Rancor, the Rancor Keeper, Fennec Shand, Lortha Peel, the Tuskens of the Dune Sea, Bib Fortuna, Krrsantan, Lando Calrissian, Han Solo, Skad, Boba Fett's Gamorrean Guards, Jango Fett, Dokk Strassi, Hondo Ohnaka, Cad Bane
    Genre: Drama / Introspection / Mystery

Summary:
    Having established himself as the Daimyo of Mos Espa, former bounty hunter Boba Fett reflects on his evolving persona whilst clamping down on a deadly new scheme, one which threatens to strike close to his heart.

Notes:
    This project is an entry for the Dear Diary Challenge 2024.

Any and all feedback would be extremely welcome, but most importantly, I just hope that anybody passing through enjoys the experience!

Table of Contents:
    Entry #1: "Tuskens"
    Entry #2: "Tribe"
    Entry #3: "Fennec"
    Entry #4: "Fidelity"
    Entry #5: "Mods"
    Entry #6: "Mayhem"
    Entry #7: "Krrsantan"
    Entry #8: "Killers"

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  3. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    Entry #1: “Tuskens”

It has been a week since my gotra drove the Pyke Syndicate from Mos Espa. Those fortunate enough to avoid the claws and jaws of my rancor quickly fled the planet.

Let them scurry back to Oba Diah and spread the word. Tatooine belongs to me now.

Drash is going to convert one of the city’s spice dens into a rehab centre, and will use its patrons to watch for any attempted revival of the Pykes’ trade. She has proven herself more than capable, with an ear for the people. She will go far in this business.

The rest of the reconstruction efforts are proceeding apace. I have agreed to cover the cost of all works, not merely as a gesture. It is my responsibility, as Daimyo.

I have continued to train with my rancor and its keeper. The beast did well in its first fight, and I have since lavished it with many rewards, but I wish to ensure that it is not so easily spooked. There won’t always be a youngling around to calm its temper.

Tribute has been pouring in, despite the damage. The people are free to prosper without choking on a debasing fog of spice. Those who hold a grudge may attempt to prove otherwise, but they are welcome to try. Fennec* is keeping an eye on the water-monger, Lortha Peel. She believes his patience will be the first to crack.

Four hunters have come before me, paying tribute in order to hunt local bounties. I granted permission to three.

The fourth wanted passage to the Dune Sea, so that he could track and kill a wanted Tusken. I did not heed the particulars of the contract, and dismissed him on the spot, ensuring that he departed Mos Espa that same afternoon.

Throughout this planet’s blood-soaked history, the Tuskens have been wronged far too often. Their reputation is muddied by caricatures of uncivilised barbarity, but while they seem outwardly threatening and belligerent to most, they are in fact a soulful and self-reflective people where it counts.

It’s no wonder I felt a great empathy with them.

*8D8’s Note:
    As one of the gotra’s two founding members, legendary Master Assassin Fennec Shand acts as Lord Fett’s trusted right hand, and is therefore deserving of a far grander introduction than this.

4. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    Entry #2: “Tribe”

Business is thriving.

I have to admit, I had my doubts. We are different from what has come before. Jabba’s reign was defined by corruption, of both structure and of self. From what little I saw, Bib Fortuna copied that template for his own gain, and it served him well. Fear did the rest.

Yet there is never just a single way of doing things. Operating as a lone bounty hunter, I earned my name a useful notoriety, but consider my accomplishments when part of a tribe.

I stopped a Pyke spice train carrying one hundred guards. I drove back two hundred thugs and half a dozen* Scorpenek annihilator droids in the battle for Mos Espa.

In both instances, I enforced respect, and received respect in kind.

This is why I must keep a record of my gotra.

My legacy must change.

The hunter who wanted passage to the Dune Sea has returned. He was identified at the spaceport, travelling unregistered. This contract of his must be lucrative. Krrsantan will track him down and deliver a more permanent warning this time.

We won’t be seeing him again.

*8D8’s Note: I have taken the liberty of inflating these statistics. If the likes of Lando Calrissian and Han Solo can exaggerate their exploits for personal gain, then so must Lord Fett.

5. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    This is an interesting take on the series, haven't watched it front to back yet, but I am aware of the general evolution of Boba's character in it, and I look forward to reading more about your interpretation of him. Having 8D8 be the recorder here is also a ticket to a lot of interesting side commentary.

6. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Oh, excellent, it's Season 2 of The Book of Boba Fett. I must check my cupboard to make sure I have a good tea stash to enjoy with this story.

I'm curious -- does Lord Fett realize that his recording droid is doing some "judicious" inflation of the narrative? All for his new master's benefit, of course. ;)

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    An interesting take on a diary with 8D8 and his comments on what Boba is dictating

study888, Happy Sando and Kahara like this.
  8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Ugh, I can't believe I'm actually quoting Palpajerk, but, "Well done, young Sando. I shall follow your career with great interest."

9. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Hmm, while there's not much here yet, I do appreciate the framing device. Honestly, the show probably should have operated this way, considering they called it the Book of Boba Fett. If ever there was a place to deploy voice over...

10. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    Wow, I didn't expect there to be so much interest in this! Huge thanks to @ConservativeJedi321 @Seldes_Katne @earlybird-obi-wan @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 and @Mechalich for your early replies! Hope you'll continue to enjoy its updates throughout the year!

Yes and no. [face_laugh] Whilst it has an ongoing storyline, I'm gonna try and make this as self-contained as possible, so that it won't interfere with any future Mandoverse show (or at least, fit with a bare minimum of head-canon tweaking).

Well, you'll have to wait and see. ;)

There'll also be a point to address the fact that, as of right now, this ain't much of a "diary" in a traditional sense. I hope it'll work!

11. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I've been meaning to review this since you started posting. You know how much I enjoy your writing, and I'm one of those people who really, really liked the Boba Fett series – all of it, really, but especially the worldbuilding around Tatooine and the Tuskens, and I was very happy to see that this diary will pick up on this particular thread.

Your introduction of and by 8D8 was perfect, with his penchant for glorifying violence, e.g. "Eager to please (as well as privately relish some tales of murder and mayhem)" [face_laugh] and it worked really well as a framing device for the story in general, as it allows him to add a running commentary to Fett's entries. You also had a good recap and "where we stand" moment in the first entry and began to introduce the obstacles that Fett is likely to encounter in the future, with, on the one hand, that slimy water-monger, and, on the other hand, the bounty hunter that wants to go after a Tusken. I thought it was a great approach to establish that Boba intends to be not only the Daimyo of Mos Espa but also a protector of sorts for the Tuskens at large; not only does it fit very well with his backstory as we saw it in the series but it also sets him up for tensions with the human population of Tatooine. Yet even as he wants to rule with respect and receive respect in kind, he remains pretty ruthless, as we can see with his comment that the bounty hunter who tried to sneak back on Tatooine will receive "a more permanent warning".

With all that being said, I suspect that the antagonist in this story won't be a measly water-monger or a stray bounty hunter. Something bigger is looming somewhere in the background; the Pykes aren't going to go away that easily, the Hutt twins may or may not decide to make a comeback, there are endless possibilities of underworld or imperial entanglements, etc. Plus, we haven't seen what became of Cobb Vanth yet, and I'd be surprised if he didn't make an appearance at some point.

This was a great beginning, and I'm looking forward to reading this diary throughout 2024!

12. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    @Chyntuck Thanks! :) I really appreciate such kind comments from a fellow Book of Boba fan. I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't adore the show's characters, themes and details, so I'll absolutely be reinforcing all that stuff, rather than trying to re-contextualise or "fix" any of it (said with no judgement of those who might want to).

That whole prologue was a nervous necessity on my part, as it helped ease me into first-person writing, which I didn't get a chance to practice before. It's a real gift that both Boba and 8D8 have such distinctive voices, but I was still worried about "finding" them, if that makes sense. My fear is that, whenever I've written established characters before, it's been in brief cameo form, so I've been able to pull from a bag of cheap tricks and make people sound "authentic enough" before quickly moving on. I just hope I'm able to sustain Boba's voice (and 8D8's annotations) for another eleven months and twenty-two entries![face_nail_biting]

There are a few loose threads from the show which I won't be tugging on, largely because I feel like they were left dangling intentionally, and I don't wanna end up contradicting anything too huge. You're absolutely right, though; there's such a wealth of potential to draw from, and it's all so darn tempting!

13. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    Entry #3: “Fennec”

Fennec was right. Lortha Peel
    was involved.

That slimy nerko was the local contact for the hunter who tried to slip through the spaceport last week. There is no suggestion that Peel is responsible for the Tusken bounty itself, but he still went to a great deal of trouble, using his standing as a ‘community leader’ and then bribing a pair of customs officials for good measure.

In due course, I will remind those officials of where their loyalty should lie. For now, Fennec has gone out to fetch Peel, so that we might question him here.

I have no doubt that he is motivated by avarice, even in his hatred of me. His monopoly flourished under Bib Fortuna.

Fennec believes I should make an example of him. She hasn’t said as much, but her stare speaks a thousand words. Her perspective on this business remains rooted in the past, but she is finding her own way, just as much as I am.

Part of me will never get used to being able to trust somebody as much as I trust Fennec, but she understands this better than anyone. She was left dying of a gut-shot, much like I was left to die in the gut of the Sarlacc. I cannot think of a more suitable proxy. Our wretched fates are not so easy to seal.

Besides, she has witnessed the recent changes
    * first-hand. Only a fool would ignore her counsel.

And I am no fool.

*8D8’s Note: The term ‘recent changes’ is a reference to the fall of the Galactic Empire, an awesome and epoch-making event during which Lord Fett was otherwise engaged.

14. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    Entry #4: “Fidelity”

It seems the cowardly water-monger made himself scarce. Fennec returned to the palace empty-handed, with no leads on his whereabouts. She apologised, without grovelling as most would. Her own frustration will be punishment enough; I have no need to add to that.

Blaming our kind for such things has always been regressive and petty. It is not the way I intend to run this gotra.

We have other things to worry about, like Lortha Peel’s intentions, and whether or not he will return. Skad
    * doubts he was working alone, citing his cowardice as proof. Said he had “classic middleman” written all over him.

I am inclined to agree.

For now, we will keep watch, and prepare to meet any additional challenges to my authority…

…of which they may be one more, after today.

A Zygerrian slaver came before me, seeking permission to peddle his wares in the city. As tribute, I was presented with three Gamorrean males, all of whom were supposedly taken from the same brood mother as my former guards.

I feigned enough interest to gain the location of his holdings, then dropped him into the rancor pit.

Which reminds me, the kitchen shouldn’t need to thaw that ronto carcass tonight… droid, see to that when we’re done here, yes?

Anyway, at first light, Skad and Krrsantan will go raid the slaver’s holdings, and bring the rest of his ‘stock’ back to the palace, whereupon I will set them all free.

The moment I issued these orders, all three Gamorreans knelt and pledged their lives to me, just like their brothers, right there on the spot. Theirs may be a simple loyalty, but as long as I command it, I will also respect it. They will serve my gotra well.

We will need all the strength we can get, if I am about to make an enemy of Tatooine’s Zygerrian enclave.

But then, so be it.

My father was once a slave.

I will not allow such dishonour on my planet.

*8D8’s Note: Since Drash opened Mos Espa’s new rehabilitation centre, Skad appears to have become the Mods’ primary representative within Lord Fett’s gotra. I am not certain as to why I feel compelled to note this detail, given that I have failed to identify whether the Mods employ a hierarchical structure, or any kind of structure at all, but there it is.

Chyntuck, Kahara, study888 and 2 others like this.
  15. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    This sounds exactly like Boba Fett's voice in the television series. It adds to the authenticity.

The citadel just isn't the same without Gamorreans, is it? ;) I have a soft spot for those guys. I hope they do well.

First no spice, now no slaves allowed. How are all the dishonest citizens of Tatooine supposed to make a living here? [face_laugh]

Regardless, I'm enjoying this piece.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice entries by Boba about Fennec and the Gamorreans serving him.

Kahara, Happy Sando and study888 like this.
  17. study888

study888 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    This is the first DDC entry I have taken the time to read all of so far, and it is very good, feels like I'm right there watching the continuance of BOBF......good job! Can't wait for more!

Kahara and Happy Sando like this.
  18. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    @Seldes_Katne @earlybird-obi-wan @study888 Huge thanks for such kind words, especially with regards capturing the tone of the source material; that's real high praise indeed, and very much appreciated! :) I hope I'm able to maintain a similar kind of authenticity throughout.

Really pleased that you're all enjoying this!
    Gamorreans are one of my favourite Star Wars species (alongside Gungans, as you already know). Nice to see our tastes aligning once again!

19. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I'm enjoying this too, 8D8!

Aw yeah, can picture this. Great read, author.=D=

20. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    Kahara, earlybird-obi-wan and pronker like this.
  21. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    Entry #5: “Mods”

The raid went well. Skad and Krrsantan returned with all sixteen captives, having killed five Zygerrians to free them.

I’d call that a fair price.

I am beginning to realise the true value of the Mods. Their attitude and exuberance, which passing observers mistake for arrogance, can be highly effective when properly focused.

I suspected as much back when I hired them, and then saw it first-hand when giving them an easy chance to prove themselves. I no longer need to toss them such scraps. They have become a cohesive part of my gotra, and their presence will prevent the rest of us from festering as a bunch of jaded, worn-out warriors.

Their technical knowledge is most impressive. I have set them to work on my Firespray gunship; a mutually beneficial task, considering how much time they spend in the hangar, endlessly tinkering with their gaudy rides.

And they are proficient fighters. Many have been surprised by the ingenuity of their implants, myself included.

Skad can get a little too flamboyant in his combat style, but such indulgence aligns with his ilk. They all seem to place a high priority on aesthetics.

I suppose that’s youth for you.

Which reminds me: there have been several enquiries from local businesses about restarting th–

Yes?

Damn it. Get her back, and meet me at the main gate.

Droid, stop recording.

pronker, Kahara, Seldes_Katne and 2 others like this.
  22. Happy Sando

Jun 23, 2023
    Entry #6: “Mayhem”

We saw trouble in town today. Drash sent word; her new position is paying off.

Some of the captives we set free paid a visit to the Trandoshan quarter. They took offence to the lizards’ historic involvement with the Outer Rim slave trade, and things escalated quickly.

Anger runs deep. I recognise that better than most, but at least it made the instigators easy to deal with.

Blind revenge makes you weak. There is greater satisfaction to be derived from precision.

Those who survived will come to appreciate that lesson.

I had a chat with a new Trandoshan representative, Dokk Strassi’s replacement. She took one look at Santo* and understood well enough, and showed due deference to the Daimyo’s authority. I am surprised so many Trandoshans remained in Mos Espa, knowing how tribal they can be, but then loyalties often shift after a failure. Fennec is going to bunk with Drash for the next few days, to guarantee that the sands stay settled for now.

This oversight was mine to make. As before, I will own my error, and ensure that my people receive compensation for any losses endured in the mayhem.

I have put my father’s past behind me, and journeyed to overcome my own.

Others are not always so fortunate.

*8D8’s Note: ‘Santo’ is Lord Fett’s pet name for Krrsantan. Normally I would file this detail as an alias or nickname, but considering the Wookiee’s perpetually feral deportment, ‘pet name’ seems a more accurate classification.

pronker, Kahara, Seldes_Katne and 2 others like this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Skad and Krrsantan are great helpers for him. Nice details about the combats and the talks with the Trandoshan

Happy Sando and Kahara like this.
  24. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    It's interesting that Boba knows when to guide and when to let them enjoy their youth.
    Yay, maturity!;)

25. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    All caught up!

I'm really enjoying how you're developing Boba's relationship with his crew – Fennec of course, and her epic stares, but also the Gamorreans and most importantly the Mods. The comment that "their presence will prevent the rest of us from festering as a bunch of jaded, worn-out warriors" is just spot-on for me; I know that a lot of people (or, to be more accurate, some very vocal people) disliked them for their colourful Vespa rides, but I thought that they were a good portrayal of streetwise kids in a marginalised society and there was an element of youthful exuberance there that lightened the tone of the TV series – because let's face it, dour Boba Fett and even dourer Fennec is just... well... dour. I love how you bring this into this story and show us Boba's thoughts about it; many in his place might be irritated at having this bunch of rowdy kids on their lawn, but he sees the positives and he even sees how the difference between the Mods and himself is helping him grow as a person.

The Zygerrian slaver (RIP) and the Trandoshans have come to reinforce the ranks of this story's villains, and they're definitely more menacing than Lortha Peel in and of himself, even if for the moment they appear to have been defeated or at least subjugated. But I'm sure that this isn't the last we've seen of them, and even that sleemo Lortha Peel (who, I will note, hasn't resurfaced yet) is bound to be in there somewhere. Methinks that Drash and Fennec are in for some adventures soon!

Lastly, I love every word of 8D8’s side notes, especially the description of the fall of the Empire as "an awesome and epoch-making event during which Lord Fett was otherwise engaged." [face_laugh]