main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGST

HGST Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 25, 2015
    Finally, someone intellectually honest and self aware enough to admit what's happening in this thread.

2. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    I see you thejeditraitor sneaking off to other sections linking to the 'sadness' going on here, pointing out to all the people how we are deliberately miss quoting and seeing things. You even link my 'I hate him' post - which nobody saw as a joke - obviously I don't hate the guy. It was just a skit on how anger becomes hate. Whatever...

Sad pathetic PT fans now becoming bashers and haters.

You are here to do nothing but continue to stir up that sentiment and then report back to the JJ thread on how we continue to misconstrue things.

"Before he started The Force Awakens, Abrams watched some movies. No, not those ones, Other ones. He looked at “the confidence” of John Ford Westerns. He took in the “unbelievable scene choreography and composition” of Kurosawa’s High and Low. And he studied “the powerful stillness” of Terrence Malick. “It’s not something I would normally have thought of coming to Star Wars,” he says. The spare visual style of Ford, Kurosawa and Malick points to a key mandate for Abrams’ approach to Episode VII: the distinctive less-is-more quality of the originals."

In what way does that quote not suggest that he worked up independently a 'key mandate' that actually was already Lucas's ? - and continued through all six films ? There is plenty of 'spare visual style' and 'less is more' in all six films. The paragraph should have read 'the spare visual style of Ford, Kurosawa and Malick points to a key mandate for Abram's approach - as it was for Lucas - the distinctive less is more quality of the originals.'

As it is it reads like a unique scheme.

jimkenobi and Cryogenic like this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i'm not sneaking anywhere and i posted about this thread because someone brought up the article there. i don't need to stir anything up. nor do i want to start trouble. i'm tired of the "bashing that's not really bashing" except it completely is. just be honest with yourselves that you're no better than the pt bashers you so despise.

4. S2N2

S2N2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 29, 2015
    Ya there have been some rough comments at times, but its hardly a "bashfest".

And I'm not sure if we could ever do what the PT bashers have done over the years. They have fundamentally destroyed the reputation of George Lucas, and made it mainstream common opinion to dislike literally everything about the PT, except for maybe the music. I don't think anyone on this thread has come remotely close to that. In fact, this is the ONLY place that I have encountered any negativity regarding the ST. If I didn't frequent these forums, i'd just assume TFA was going to be the second coming of Christ!

But sarcasm aside, you're right, we should watch we don't turn into the people we have dealt with for 16 yrs. But, to just sit back and pretend that we love everything that is going on with new star wars content would just be delusional.

And to claim that we are "the new ST bashers" and that we are "worse than the PT bashers ever were" is truly insulting and flat out wrong.

5. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    you keep thinking that. truth hurts.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    Jesus, some people on this forum are so out of touch its hilarious..

7. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    I agree. I just dont want the situation to go overboard, And you´re right, this is the only thread ive actually seen some dislike about the direction the new movies are going. I think its a bit unfair to call ST bashers worse than PT bashers ever were. At worst some have been giving JJ the Lucas treatment (which im not a fan of). But like i said, this can easily escalate to something worse if were not careful.

8. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I'll judge JJ after I go see the movie.

9. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    you want to criticize the film go ahead but make real criticisms not imaginary ones.

10. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I've always thought it's a good idea to see a finished film in its entirety before deciding whether it's good or not.
    Speculation and opinions are fine, but let's see TFA before criticizing it too much.

11. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    If there WAS a new Jedi Order, we wouldn't be having this discussion about lightsaber combat. I'm still not quite sure why they didn't choose to go that route.

HGST If you imply most of the people in this thread aren't intellectual or honest, that's pretty much exactly what some people are calling J.J.

Slicer87, S2N2 and Obi-John Kenobi like this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I like BB because he's round. I like Kylo Ren because his name sounds like Rilo Kiley. I like J.J. Abrams because J.J. might stand for Jar Jar. I like Harrison Ford because of that Amish movie, so I might be interested in this new film where he plays a man in a jacket. I like being positive.

13. SeventySeven

Jul 18, 2002
    just be honest with yourselves that you're no better than the pt bashers you so despise.

Ok, I'm off to make my 'The People versus JJ film', and if I don't like the film - actually highly unlikely - I will spend the next fifteen years posting on facebook, youtube, here - til I get banned, about the people I have no respect for who dare to like the film. I'll probably make a whiny youtube video, post my 100 reasons to hate TFA blog, send hate mail to Disney, and I will have to consider calling in the authorities to report my sexual abuse, and Disney's infanticide. I'll have to work real hard to excise it from my mind as 'not really existing', hide it from youngsters lest they see 'unauthentic' Star Wars, and make my own versions by cutting out the bits I don't like to make my reputation as a film maker who really 'gets it'.

All I'm doing is having a laugh at the marketing and creative decisions that have basically been skewed by a lot of angry fans to placate - you know who.

Some people have decided not to see the film, that's a bit odd to me, but don't for one minute suggest I have become anything like Simon Pegg. Unlike him I joke about it - and I reserve the right to call out people saying silly things in magazines - even if it's George Lucas. I'm not having a go at the film - I have not seen it.

As I said I just want some souvenir mags that contain articles written entirely about the positive things about TFA, not about what it won't be.

14. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Unless, perhaps, Luke did try to start a Jedi Order but it was snuffed out by the First Order. Maybe Kylo was one of his students, and when he turned to the Dark Side Luke went into exile himself out of fear that anyone he taught might turn like his father and Kylo (maybe he fears that it might happen to him as well), until Rey and/or Finn come along and he realizes that he can teach a true Jedi and he finally goes through with honoring Yoda's last wish.

CIS Droid likes this.
  15. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Perhaps...that's a very interesting idea, actually. Though I feel like the events you just described could've been the plot of Episode VII and TFA could've been VIII. But we'll just have to see how the story of the ST pans out.

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Had these movies come out in the late 80s when the cast was only a few years older than they were in RotJ then I could imagine that being a potential plot for Episode VII, but doing it 30 years later it'd seem odd having Luke wait that long before trying to start up a new Jedi Order. At this stage, it'd make sense to use that as backstory and have us instead jump in in the middle, ~30 years after the incident, with the version of Episode VII that we're getting.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  17. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'll say this: when I read the Empire stuff, I thought "PT fans are going to absolutely hate this". That's OK. My sense, however, is that this is the future of SW. If watching TFA confirms your worst fears, just stick with Eps I-VI and TCW and leave it at that.

Darkslayer, TX-20, Jcuk and 4 others like this.
  18. S2N2

S2N2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 29, 2015
    I'd say about 99% of the posters on here (including me) who have been critical or negative or who have voiced concerns about TFA/JJ are planning to see the movie before TRULY forming an opinion. I assumed it was implied that all of this discussion about the movie was just speculation based on what we know and have seen so far.

19. SeventySeven

Jul 18, 2002
    Absolutely. My gripe is entirely with the apparently phantom negative marketing, though I do have reservations about content seen so far, but that actually is a separate issue and as much to do with my 'total' Star Wars fandom as anything else. I hold the O.T in esteem as well of course, and so far I am a little nervous about how that is being used as much as anything else.

I'm surprised there seams to be little apprehension from OT only people - because that what is getting the defibrillator - and as yet no Star Wars movie has been made in that manner.

But what's not to like - Han Solo - good. TIE fighters and X-wings - good. Leading parts with a black and a female actor - great.

To much emphasis on 'dissapointed' fan service? Lets see.

Darkslayer and S2N2 like this.
  20. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

You must understand, we don't share their opinion, so for some reason, our opinion must be squashed.

Some of these people are the same people that feel the need to tell people they are wrong for liking the PT (they are the PT bashers we have come to know), or for preferring Lucas over Abrams. Unless you share their opinion, or at least share the "right" way to form an opinion, then you are a lesser person/fan than them.

They use the same tactics as the PT bashers, shaming, insults, and calling names in order to silence any opinion that might not fall in goose step with theirs. Yet they call us the new bashers..lol

21. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Some quarters are freaking out.

But in general, what do you think would be the major cause for concern?

22. SeventySeven

Jul 18, 2002
    There are a few but mainly I think the change in style might be more of a jolt than assumed.

It is certainly going to look more 'shiny' and 'digital' than some reckon. Some stills I have seen look no different from the prequels - a mix of miniatures on real backgrounds enhanced with digital painting. This is going to be presented in a new directorial style.
    People think Lucas abandoned a lot of the OT in the PT but it is remarkble how you can watch TPM then ESB, and despite them being at totally different ends of the spectrum in content and of course love / hate - there is an essence about them that transcends both.

If you just can't abide young Anakin then you wont see it because you cant watch it - but as yet it is an unknown quantity whether this style is going to be imitated or replaced or both. So there is a danger of seeing a story very similar to ANH, but shiny and new that just 'feels' different. Of course if content trumps everything else it wont matter but I think some scenes will be either so different, or so deliberately an homage that there might just be to much of a 'dream' like quality to it for those that want authentic continuity.

The other problem is lore. There was a big fuss about midi-chlorians, or wether Yoda should fight yadda yadda yadda and there is certain to be more of these.

I dont know really - I would like to know more about the 'some quaters are freaking out.' !

Personally I would have gone for a genuine sequel in the way that TESB was. Almost a clean slate, yet acknowledging that it was 'going back' - but NOT in a nostalgic 'meta' sense in response to some sociological reality, only in the sense of it starting after ROTJ. I find any sense of ROTJ conspicuous by its absence.

So much conjecture it's feeling desperate now it being so near - I fear we are loosing out minds.

Darkslayer, earlchinna and S2N2 like this.
  23. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    So far I've only seen Luke's fans complain about his absence but that's about it.

24. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    That's what I was referring to, yes.

25. SeventySeven

Jul 18, 2002
    Is that it ? Everybody is pretty much 100% happy with what they have seen !?

That really does make me feel odd, I mean even totally disregarding the prequel diss fuss I'm not entirely convinced yet.

Darkslayer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.