main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_laugh]

2. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

Yeah, that was just bizarre to me -- the lack of ROTJ. I mean, I'd argue that Luke vs. Vader in that film is one of the most emotional, raw, and brutal duels of the Saga. Especially after Vader threatens to turn Leia. I still love the ESB duel, of course, but the emotional drama is really at the tail end of that duel and encompassed in the revelation as much as in the actual combat. With ROTJ, both Luke and Vader know exactly who and what they're dealing with Here's Abrams' quote for reference:

"When you look at Star Wars and Empire, they are very different lightsaber battles, but for me they felt more powerful because they were not quite as slick"

Lucas selling SW to Disney and putting Kathleen Kennedy in charge are established facts. And, given that they threw out the Lucas treatments, it's pretty clear there wasn't a clause saying they had to use them.

I think what a lot of people here are arguing though, is that, to them, canonicity is not based on legal ownership or corporate position but on artistic creativity and being the origin/wellspring of the fictional world and its characters. Throwing out the creator's input and ideas to let a fan make something based on his own ideas sounds (to some) like the very definition of fanfiction.

You're free to disagree but I hope it's not difficult to see how people could form different conclusions.

3. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I'd argue Luke vs Vader/Anakin in ROTJ is the best duel of the OT. Better choreography than Obi-Wan vs Vader, more emotion than the Bespin duel

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's my favourite as well. But Luke does some backflips in there and as we all know, that's too much slickness to be revered.

5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The really odder thing (I like the word odd today!) is that for those who despise the PT all they can go on about for this duel is the "spinning sabers" GIF they love to pull out and pay no attention whatsoever to the story point of being made.

Why? Because they won't concede the point that it is a story point being made by Lucas in collaboration with Nick Gillard because they "objectively" know that there isn't one!!

[face_rofl]

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    You know what really sticks in my gullet about that part (now you've reminded me of that whole panel)?

"We wanted to tell a story that would make us feel and that would be something that would feel like the continuum of the incredible story that George started."

(Abrams, 15:15)

What a nice, packaged, "slick" answer there from Abrams.

Particularly off the back of Lawrence Kasdan's rambling about "textures" of a wall, "real" weapons, "real" stormtroopers, etc.

I suspect that Kasdan actually gave a more honest answer; and then J.J. took the mic at the end to sculpt it into something more, ah... forgive me, more real, more authentic, more practical, more tangible.

And with a disingenuous laudatory reference to Lucas at the end. Yeah, you wanted it to feel like the continuum of the incredible story he started sooooo much, you tossed his sequel trilogy outline in the trash, told Lucas in as many words that he was no longer welcome, and kicked his screenwriter off the project, to start the whole story process from scratch, with something you pulled out your backsides at the last minute, which you had to continue to hash out while principal photography was under way!

That's some real respect for Lucas' "incredible" story, right there!!!

I guess my negativity is back. But there's a lot about this whole thing that's very whiffy.

I'm not talking just aesthetically. I'm thinking in more of a "nothing personal, just business" sense.

And that's all apart from that "canon" remark we discussed months ago. I took a slightly laid back approach to that remark back then.

But watching it back, word-for-word, wow! No, Abrams quite clearly states that they treated the OT as canon; meaning he could barely care less about letting the PT influence anything.

Again, what was that about respecting George's story?

Bloody sharks.

7. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    ME "To quickly steer away from what might become personal accusations it's obviously the case that the blame for the group media hate - Empire, SFX magazine, blogs etc and geek leaders big mouths can't be laid at Disney s door - but do you still think, individuals aside, that the perceived promotional 'atmosphere' being explicitly anti prequel and therefore to an extent obviously anti Lucas was or is largely a mirage? "

Darth Downunder

"No it's not a mirage at all. It's plain to see. We just need to read the majority of SW articles to find a swipe at the Prequels. The reasons for this however are complicated & go back 15 years. The TFA marketing had very little affect on this IMO. You could even argue that if LFL & Abrams went out of their way to include the PT in their marketing push there'd be even more unfair vitriol towards the Prequels as a backlash. Disney inherited the mixed feelings about the PT. They had nothing to do with the creation of them."

But I see the roundabout is still spinning...we should ALL get off now...we'll all be sick.

mikeximus likes this.
  8. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    The backflips just made it cooler!

9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Thank you very much! It's an honor to be part of this forum and this section. :) Also, one more shout out to Qui Riv. Actually the first poster I admired when I found this forum.

On topic though, does anyone else really like the new stormtroopers designs? To me at least, they look so slick and kind of give me a prequel ish vibe. I can totally see that being the first armor clones wore once converted into the Empire. Just my two cents.

10. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    So from the Journey to the Force Awakens short story High Noon on Jakku it has been revealed that this alien

[​IMG]

is the same species as this alien
    [​IMG]

and this alien
    [​IMG]

is the same as this alien
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    That was my initial impression, but now I think they are too similar to the OT ones. I think the flametrooper design should have been the regular design, I really like that one.

12. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Never thought of that but since you mention it, I agree. The flametrooper design actually looks like a Phase I clone due to the vizor. Also, I think I like these First Order designs more then I like the original stormtroopers. That's probably because it's for now, fresh, because the stormtroopers incompetence have become a parody of the Imperial army. Unfortunately, for plot reasons, these troopers will probably become highly incompetent once our heroes come into the picture.

13. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, that's a bit of an either-or fallacy. But I do agree on the casting of Ridley and Boyega, which I consider one of the strongest elements The Force Awakens has going for it. Regardless of whether or not there's any familial relation with the characters, I nonetheless think Ridley promises a nice casting hybrid of the franchise's previous leading ladies, mixing Carrie Fisher's Rosie-the-Riveter spirit with Natalie Portman's Guineverian beauty/vulnerability; not entirely one or the other, but altogether a dovish innocent with a slightly dorky tomboy fetch about her. And I like the idea of offsetting a scrappy desert scavenger with a fashionably posh accent: "Aye know oowll about waiting ...Fah-my famalay."

Boyega meanwhile is naturally animated with a broad arc of big face, big eyes 'faster-more-intense' expressions. He looks like exactly what he is: a kid in a Star Wars movie. Very fitting.

14. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I hope you enjoy the movie Alien! Sometimes when I see a tv spot playing on the television, I stop and I do get goosebumps, especially the latest one with the dark side feel. However as it plays, any excitement or immersion flies away as I realize that Snoke sounds like the Emperor just ever so slightly, Snoke's role sounds very much OT Emperorish..the mystical Dark Side leader that is in charge, but isn't actually around.. Much like ANH and ESB....Hux is the new Tarkin. The leader of the Military of the FO, but not like Kylo and Snoke. So my excitement for the movie goes just as soon as it got there...

Abrams has had many opportunities to publicly thank Lucas for setting up the story for TFA with his treatments, or at the very least acknowledge the use of the treatments. That hasn't happened. I think it's telling! Especially when there have been so many oppurtunities for Abrams to acknowledge that they did use the treatments, yet nothing, but he makes sure to tell us on a few different occasions that they made sure to include what delighted them.

15. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
  16. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

That's a fabulous meme...!

17. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Thanks. I'm just so sick of that Abrams quote. It signifies everything that looks wrong about the film so far.

18. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    I'm sorry to point that out , but the two species from TCW look so different in TFA that it's not even funny .

sarlaccsaurs-rex and earlchinna like this.
  19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Well one is animated and the other isn't :p

20. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Yeah , but they just don't look alike to me .
    Compare togrutas in TCW and then in the movies , do the same with Yoda or Oppo Rancisis etc .
    They all look almost the same .

21. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    JJ Abrams answers the question that many fans had when he asked himself: "who's Luke Skywalker?" during this interview on Good Morning America:

22. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Thanks for posting SW Fan, but I'm not going to watch - I'm frankly tired of hearing Abrams talk about Star Wars. It's remarkable how my opinion of him has done a complete 180 since I saw his Star Trek films (I really liked them).

23. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

"Bob (Iger, CEO of Disney) Says no more changes" ...? Hmmmm, who has final say again? Corporate or Creative?

There's the "real" look to ANH again....

No mention of Lucas treatments when he talks about writing TFA...

Luke Skywalker is a Myth....

Again, pretty much confirming that the myth won't be in the movie til the end. Less than a minute of two of screen time.

I am hoping that is untrue, and mystery box stuff. I am hoping that Luke comes out of no where close to the end of the movie and saves the day, that we and the new characters get to see what that myth is capable of

it is nice to see a female lead!

What delights us...

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  24. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    My opinion on the whole practical effects marketing is mostly the same as yall. It was incredibly dumb of Disney to use that as their catch. They could have united the fanbases and used techniques learned from both trilogies to create something that a Star Wars fan could only dream of. Instead, they tried to appeal to an audience that could give less about the franchise. Disney lost this before it could even begin. Plus, the practical effects model bs is ridiculous. It's like Disney read YouTube comments and took them as a danger to their future projects.

25. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Well, we are now 18 days (16 days in Europe and in the Middle-East) before the release of the movie. It would be normal to stop changing the movie since they still have the translation and the voice-acting for other languages than english to make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.